PDA

View Full Version : Help With My First Map

D3wMocr4cy
03-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey, I am new to making maps for L4D2 and would like some help with my first survival map, I think I did everything right but the radio will not spawn for me to start the map, then when it did the timer started but no zombies came. If you could help please email me at Epicgam3r@yahoo.com (epicgam3r@yahool.com) I don't know what I did wrong but need help, I will send you a .zip folder with my Hammer Editor file in it and you can take a look.

mAd-
03-09-2011, 06:34 AM
You need navigation for zombies..use google to find tutorial about l4d's navigation meshes..
Also helpful:

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/left4dead2_mapping/l4d2-how-to-create-survival-gamemode-part1.php

D3wMocr4cy
03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
I have watched all his videos and took notes on how to do everything, it is all set up 100% like he did but the zombies will still not spawn. Up in the top left it says, "Trying To Spawn Infected" over and over but nothing happens, I have a few theories and will try fixing the skybox.

All of the characters walk around and follow me throughout the entire map.

shotgunefx
03-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I have watched all his videos and took notes on how to do everything, it is all set up 100% like he did but the zombies will still not spawn. Up in the top left it says, "Trying To Spawn Infected" over and over but nothing happens, I have a few theories and will try fixing the skybox.

All of the characters walk around and follow me throughout the entire map.

Do you have a skycamera in your map? If you accidentally place two in your map, all navigation gets blocked. It's a weird bug.

Try turning on z_debug 1 after you turn on nav_edit, if all the nav squares have a blue border, it means everything is blocked

D3wMocr4cy
03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I did the Debug but none of the squares where blue.

shotgunefx
03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I did the Debug but none of the squares where blue.

Do you mark PLAYER_START and a CHECKPOINT?

When you ran nav_analyze, did it report and problems?

D3wMocr4cy
03-11-2011, 09:01 AM
No, It spawned special infected, then I added infected spawn points and then no infected spawned. Then I turned off and returned on the info_director and zombies spawned, I started the map map middleschool_01 survival and all the zombies where gone and did not re-spawn, do I need to set the trigger to force spawn the infected using the infected spawners?

shotgunefx
03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
No, It spawned special infected, then I added infected spawn points and then no infected spawned. Then I turned off and returned on the info_director and zombies spawned, I started the map map middleschool_01 survival and all the zombies where gone and did not re-spawn, do I need to set the trigger to force spawn the infected using the infected spawners?

If the director is stopped, nothing will spawn.

What do you mean infected spawners? commentary_zombie_spawners?

If this is survival, is it set up to trigger the start? Try loading it again in survival mode, if nothing spawns, type
director_force_panic_event 1 and see if it starts

Fisher122
03-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Ok, you need to have:

A: Joined navigation.
The lines between navigation squares tell you if they are connected or not, light blue means that the navigation block your looking at can move to the connected nav, and the connected nav can also move to the nav block you are looking at. If the line is dark blue then zombies can only run from the nav block you are looking at to the nav block its connected to, once they are there they cannot go back.

B: PlayerStart and Finale
You need a PlayerStart to tell the director where you start, and a finale to calculate the flow and generate a "battlefield" for the zombies. A Checkpoint may work in place of FINALE but there needs to be an entity called "info_landmark" near that checkpoint, so what I do is use Finale for "testing" and later delete this and replace it for Checkpoint.
All of these can be set by using "z_debug 1" then "mark CHECKPOINT" or "mark FINALE" ect.

C: Suitable spawns
When a player looks at a piece of nav and kills all zombies inside it, that nav piece becomes "cleared", meaning that no zombies can SPAWN in that piece of nav again.(Zombies that have already spawned can still run through it) This means that if you have a square map, and you can see all the nav pieces, then the Director wont let zombies spawn, PERIOD.
You can bypass this by entering "z_debug 1" into console, What this does is shows you what "special attributes" the specific nav piece you are looking at has, find a nav piece that the survivors cannot see, and will never be able to see, look at it, and enter into console: "mark OBSCURED; mark NOT_CLEARABLE". What this will do is say to the Director "This nav piece cannot be seen, so you can spawn as many zombies as you want here" and "If the nav is seen,don't mark it as "cleared". The director will then look at this spot as a perfect spawn location. BE CAREFUL: because the zombies will spawn regardless of whether you see them or not, so if the player CAN see these spawn locations, it will make your map look bad!

If this is a panic event then you will need to mark all the nav pieces as BATTLEFIELD, if the player steps out the Battlefield then NO ZOMBIES WILL SPAWN and the Director will deem the Panic Event over. You will also need to mark a Battlestation onto one of those Battlefield navs. This is where the survivor bots will stand!

You will also need an entity called info_director, and you want to set name to "director". You will need a trigger to trigger the panic event, so make a func_button add a new output, put in the values:
OnPressed, director, PanicEvent, 0.00"

I know this might be alot to take in, which it is, but you will be surprised how quickly you pick it up, its all about practice!

Private message me if you need any help understanding it.