PDA

View Full Version : EA HATES THE PC!!!! Sure they do.....

hlhbk
03-09-2011, 07:14 AM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292677/news/ea-pc-extremely-healthy-may-become-our-biggest-platform/

Sure sounds like a company that hates the pc market......

Gurluas
03-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Its propaganda, do you truly believe that?

OurSacrifice
03-09-2011, 07:18 AM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292677/news/ea-pc-extremely-healthy-may-become-our-biggest-platform/

Damage control.

They just purchased a review from PC Gamer, the rest of the industry doesn't agree and now they're in scramble mode.

DICE is their only saving grace at the moment, and EA is going ride that company to the bank in the hopes that they deliver with the Frostbite 2 engine.

hlhbk
03-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Before I say this let me preface it with saying I have been playing PC games since 93, and they are what got me into gaming. I am a PC gamer first and foremost.

You people need to get over your pc eliteist mentality. PC games aren't as a whole going to be their own monster anymore. They have changed. That being said console games in large part have caught up to the PC in terms of quality.

As long as the PC versions of these games are customized for the PC you need to get over it. Granted in some cases the complaining is valid (AC2 anyone) but Bioware has been nothing but awesome to the PC gamers and continued to be in DA2.

If you don't like the game get over it and quit playing.

Gurluas
03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Console games will NEVER, EVER catch up to pc games until they have modability, until then they will drag pc quality down.

EndSociety
03-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I don't get what people are complaining about.

From a business point it makes the most sense to release your product in a fashion that gives you the most possible sales. SO, yes, they design games for the PC, XBOX, and PS3 all at the same time! It's an astonishing thing to imagine. They don't make games to make people happy. They make games to make money.

It would be a great moral victory if we could fancy a business that produced high quality products simply because it wanted to make people happy. Where the dollar wasn't the bottom line.

But that's just not how it is.

MADDOGGE
03-09-2011, 09:02 AM
While EA has put out some really great games in the past they have never been one for customer service. They suck at it and have for ages. Once a game is released, tough luck getting support and patches in most cases. The factory has moved on to it's next project.

Voxav
03-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Yeah, sure, and I still can't play my DA2 I paid for, though people who downloaded it from torrents didn't pay a penny and having fun right now. I don't believe that bull♥♥♥♥. Maybe next time I must spend my money for something else and just download the EA game, have fun, and don't be frustrated, like I am now.

Voxav
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Console games will NEVER, EVER catch up to pc games until they have modability, until then they will drag pc quality down.

Partly true, all the platforms have their pros and cons. A lot of games from PS3 touched me, and I think they are really brilliant, but I still spend most of my time playing on my PC.

SpectralShade
03-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Depends on the game and gametype, so don't make broad generalizations like that.

For quite a long period Fighting games where vastly superior on consoles to anything you could find on the PC (or that was techincally possible at the time), for example. Even today where the pc technically can match the console, fighting games are still usually better on consoles.

Foxrun
03-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I dont think EA hates the pc after all we did get Dx11 and high res textures but theres just some performance bugs that really need fixing asap. If they really hated us we couldve had another Dx9 game with low res textures

hlhbk
03-09-2011, 10:04 AM

So because a game can't be modded on consoles it doesn't have the same quality on PC? What kind of a statement is that? Modding is a great benefit of being a pc gamer but we shouldn't rely on mods to improve the quality of the games. Straight out of the box starting this generation of consoles the quality of console games has caught up with PC's at least at the beginning of the consoles life cycle.

As the consoles have gotten older the difference in graphical quality is pretty sizeable, but still there are only certain exeriences you can have on consoles. For instance I can't play Enslaved, MLB the show, Uncharted, Gear of War 2 or 3, Infamous, or God of War 3.

True there are PC only experiences but they are few and far compared to the consoles. Could the games I listed above be playble on a PC? Of course, but those games are of as good of quality as anything you will find a on a PC.

What I find the most disturbing is that many here have turned on Bioware. You might not agree with the direction they took ME2 or DA2, but to knock EA because you don't agree with a direction a franchise went is insane considering Bioware's games have consistently been awesome. Say what you want but DLC for ME 2 was incredible compared to ME 1, and Bioware has cited EA as the reason for learning that people want value in their DLC.

I liked DA:O, and loved Baldur's Gate, but I am not judging DA2 to those experiences. Unlike most of you I actually listened when Bioware said they made the changes, and am judging the game based on those expectations. If you don't like the changes then move on to another title. There are plenty of quality games available.

chokke
03-09-2011, 10:05 AM
To sum up that article..
-EA: Oh hey PC-gamers, you are so totally cool and stuff. And we really enjoyu giving you quality games. Oh and hey, check this out, we are making this new awesome title that can really compete with the current shooters.

Until they accept the fact that digital distribution is the future for PC-gaming (and probably soon for consoles), they should just stop.

And as long as consoles stays consoles, and not mini-PC's. Nobody will win from this.

sfade
03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I think consoles will eventually be re-absorbed back into the computing market at some point in the future. They are, in my opinion, a stepping stone for generations that were/are very computing illiterate.

It's astonishing how many people still have no idea how to effectively use a personal computer, let alone install and maintain their own software. The younger generations are more consistently exposed to the technology, and therefore will only continue to grow more familiar and adept until the point where the crutch of a console is no longer a real necessity.

I could be wrong, but that's my current belief (at least assuming that the intelligence of the average person doesn't somehow plummet going forward into the next few decades).

The Sleeper
03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
The most important line I saw in that review is:
PC downloads are awesome. ... The margins are much better(bold to show my point)

The straight translation for that is that they agree they are gouging PC gamers with a higher cost of ownership on a less expensive medium. That line just strengthens my resolve to not get any more games on steam for $60.

I am not getting any game that starts at $59 till they fall to $39.99 or less. If I get those games at $49.99 once they drop from $59.99 then EA still wins because they get the other persons extra $10 and they still make my sale for the old price point they should of sold it at.

DoctorEss
03-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Damn those consoles! Damn them for inventing the idea of playing video games in your home! Damn them for having games people could play long before PCs ever could!

Ohwait.

CatatonicMan
03-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Damn those consoles! Damn them for inventing the idea of playing video games in your home! Damn them for having games people could play long before PCs ever could!

Ohwait.

Consoles are PCs. They've just been heavily locked down so it is difficult to use them as such.

Dazzled
03-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Do not listen to their worthless words. Look at their actions !

Actions speak louder than words.

Dazzled
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Ohwait.

Damn them for holding back progress with their $hitty, half a decade old hardware.
Damn them for ruining good and complex games because they don't have decent controlers.
No waiting.

Scott3vil
03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Its propaganda, do you truly believe that?

Explain that please. What could EA's agenda be if its propaganda?

Possible scenario?
An agenda to cause propaganda would be to say they love PC and will go there indefinatley and sell games only to be lying and to what? Really be selling more only for console?

What would this propaganda be achieving?

Its more likely they have realised that leaving the PC market left alone Blizzard coupled with Activision have made billions of dollars from a competition minimal market and are now seeing great income from Steam and other digital sources inclusing its own and are trying to worm there way back in.

Problem is though Blizzard made billions by actually making decent PC games not just selling cross platform nonsense to the PC market.

BehindTimes
03-09-2011, 05:35 PM
True there are PC only experiences but they are few and far compared to the consoles. Could the games I listed above be playble on a PC? Of course, but those games are of as good of quality as anything you will find a on a PC.

Actually, this is completely wrong. While you're correct that there are few AAA PC only titles, thanks to not having a centralized company you have to pay license fees too, there are significantly more PC only experiences, mainly in the indy field. This is a good and bad thing. Good in the sense that you can probably find any type of game you're looking for, but bad in the sense that you won't have a graphical powerhouse, and you'll also have to sift through thousands of more games which are utter ****.

BehindTimes
03-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Explain that please. What could EA's agenda be if its propaganda?

Possible scenario?
An agenda to cause propaganda would be to say they love PC and will go there indefinatley and sell games only to be lying and to what? Really be selling more only for console?

What would this propaganda be achieving?

Its more likely they have realised that leaving the PC market left alone Blizzard coupled with Activision have made billions of dollars from a competition minimal market and are now seeing great income from Steam and other digital sources inclusing its own and are trying to worm there way back in.

Problem is though Blizzard made billions by actually making decent PC games not just selling cross platform nonsense to the PC market.

I wouldn't state that the market is minimal. There is plenty of competition. It's just that Blizzard right now has cornered the market. Unfortunately, not everyone can be a Valve nor Blizzard.

In terms of propaganda, it's similar to how EA stated a similar thing with Mac gaming a couple years ago. Nothing of any signifance has really has come out of it outside of a few bad ports due to emulation of PC games on the Mac. As another user stated, actions speak louder than words.

Not that I think EA is entirely lying. But I think we need to look at the context. EA's talking about a global market. China is an emerging market pretty much untapped by foreign game companies. And because consoles are outlawed in China, guess what? That leaves PC games! But from the Western perspective...

Meanbud
03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
And yet Blizzard makes PC only games and makes billions of dollars.

They haven't forgotten the face of their father........

lyravega
03-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I laugh at those honestly believe articles like this.

You're a publisher? Best way to earn money is forcing your developers to design the game for consoles, and then port it to PC. Considering that porting from XBox (short for DirectXBox) to PC is relatively easy than the other way around, you free up workhours, and make the game faster. So in short, PC maybe the biggest market, but (more and more) games will be primarily made for consoles. And PC users will play less and less complex, short, expensive, ..., games.

And, they'll invest their money in the games that'll surely sell. Any unique approach, a radical change of any kind, etc... will definitely impact their sales in the future. As a side-effect, more and more games will look alike (they already do anyway).

Support indie industry and a few other publishers that are not blinded with greed - if you want to see and play something different, and original.

Peeker
03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Blinded with greed?

Are you kidding me? Do you even know how capitalism works? EA has to make games that people demand and having a company not focus on consoles (the biggest market) is absurd. The fact that EA has provided qaulity ports to the pc means they obviously don't hate the pc market. Ever play the newest FF online? You can't even customize the keyboard, they suggested we use a controller but it may have changed since beta (doubt it).

Indie companies are better off making niche games but if they happen to grow they are going to want to get rid of the niche and go for the popular.

All big companies now either focus on console first or both eqaully. Bethesda is a great example of this. Get over it or get used to it.

DoctorEss
03-10-2011, 12:00 PM
And yet Blizzard makes PC only games and makes billions of dollars.

They haven't forgotten the face of their father........

Blizzard makes ONE game. Releasing a new game every 7-14 years doesn't make one a serious developer. They'll milk WoW until it dies.

Which Cataclysm helped speed. Notice those ads don't say "12 million subscribers" anymore? "12 million have experienced". Have. Past tense. Nowhere near that amount now.

Blizzard themselves said it: "It's hard to compete with free". When LotRO went F2P, they gained a million subscribers. That didn't come from nowhere. That bit out of WoW.

I hardly count an MMO company as a real developer. That, and when it's convenient to people, they argue just as hard against Blizzard, only instead of scapegoating "EA", they swap it for "Activision".

I love the hate that gets leveled at big companies. If it weren't for them, you wouldn't really have videogames. Lest people forget the world's first third-party game developer was ACTIVISION.

Edit: For the record, Blizzard's first in-house developed titles (not porting titles that other companies developed) were for. . . CONSOLES! THE HORROR!

MotherBakesPies
03-10-2011, 12:13 PM
They should verify ages to get rid of all these kids that come in here to talk crap. Blizzard not a serious developer? Your post is 100% pure garbage.

hlhbk
03-10-2011, 12:57 PM
They should verify ages to get rid of all these kids that come in here to talk crap. Blizzard not a serious developer? Your post is 100% pure garbage.

I agree with this. While I dislike WOW Blizzard is right up there with Valve, CD Projekt, Bethesda, and Bioware as top PC devs.

chokke
03-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Edit: For the record, Blizzard's first in-house developed titles (not porting titles that other companies developed) were for. . . CONSOLES! THE HORROR!

Are you really trying to draw the analogy of consoles at taht time against PC-gaming, and consoles today and todays PC-gaming?

ZebraWizard
03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
tbh it is possible..

steam has opened up alot more accessiblity than the consoles.

its the reason i keep on pc gaming, so i can play pc games and the console ports (which are fine! saves me money!) and nowadays, i go for steam games over retail even if it costs me more! crazy huh?

cloud gaming is the way forward.

SunriseDriver
03-10-2011, 01:44 PM
DA2 PC fail. Crysis 2 MP PC fail.

Battlefield 3 is their only hope so they're trying to lure as many PC gamers as possible especially when console gamers don't like all these titles much.

djwyattwood
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM

this^

Bhavv
03-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Ok, judging by the OPs posts, Its pretty convincing that he actually is an EA employee.

No normal person could have so much blind devotion to the most notorious video game publisher.

DA2 PC fail. Crysis 2 MP PC fail.

Crysis 2 is also a direct console port with only DX9 on release for the PC. The PC demo even says 'Press the Start Button' when loading it up.

The only thing that EA love about the PC is the blind sheep that buy anything that they heavily market with the worst and most unbelievably overused marketing tactics imaginable.

ZebraWizard
03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
what wrong with buying a port exactly?

id rather get it for the pc than buy an xbox/ps3 and the game.

if the developers really listened to pc gamers, we wouldnt get hardly any games at all...

Bhavv
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
what wrong with buying a port exactly?

id rather get it for the pc than buy an xbox/ps3 and the game.

if the developers really listened to pc gamers, we wouldnt get hardly any games at all...

The PC is the most profitable and successful gaming platform, it doesnt need console ported games to be successful, and it is completely unacceptable that the PC has to carry on getting games designed for the already obsolete hardware of the Xbox 360.

Gurluas
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Depends on the game and gametype, so don't make broad generalizations like that.

For quite a long period Fighting games where vastly superior on consoles to anything you could find on the PC (or that was techincally possible at the time), for example. Even today where the pc technically can match the console, fighting games are still usually better on consoles.

Most games are dumbed down for the Consoles.
Things like SDK gets omitted and forgotten due to the console lack of modability, and many games feels like they were made for controllers not mouse+keyboard.

There are even multiplayer games without the ability to chat because they are console ports.

omninakago
03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Notice those ads don't say "12 million subscribers" anymore? "12 million have experienced". Have. Past tense. Nowhere near that amount now.

Oh please, you don't know that. Also, if you want to accuse them of changing to the wording because that isn't the active subscriber base anymore, then why haven't they simply increased the number? A lot more than 12 million people have "experienced" the game.

I hardly count an MMO company as a real developer.

That is really one of the dumbest things I've read in some time. You are highly ignorant if you don't think that it takes a ton more development to craft a successful MMO than any other type of game. And on a related note, aside from expansions, Blizzard constantly adds new content to the game. Show me one game that has added half as much content as the patches have in, say, Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King.

Blizzard is one of the best developers in the business right now. To completely disregard that is lolworthy.

Overt.Enemy
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Damage control.

They just purchased a review from PC Gamer, the rest of the industry doesn't agree and now they're in scramble mode.

DICE is their only saving grace at the moment, and EA is going ride that company to the bank in the hopes that they deliver with the Frostbite 2 engine.

PC Gamer doesn't sell reviews, lol.

SpectralShade
03-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh please, you don't know that. Also, if you want to accuse them of changing to the wording because that isn't the active subscriber base anymore, then why haven't they simply increased the number? A lot more than 12 million people have "experienced" the game.

That is really one of the dumbest things I've read in some time. You are highly ignorant if you don't think that it takes a ton more development to craft a successful MMO than any other type of game. And on a related note, aside from expansions, Blizzard constantly adds new content to the game. Show me one game that has added half as much content as the patches have in, say, Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King.

Blizzard is one of the best developers in the business right now. To completely disregard that is lolworthy.

The problem with your argument, is that they have removed content at the same rate, or even bigger rate in some cases.

I certaily disagree with your assesment of Blizzard being one of the best devs now. It used to be one of the best. After Activison entered the fray they detoriated and Blizzard is now one of the very few software companies I actively boycott buying software products from because of their disregard for quality over 'what can we get away with of low quality before people get too pissed?'

The fact that they even cut out actual content that users were using because they felt they 'spent too much time on it' (as in the devs spent too much time trying to figure out how to balance their own game) and there was actually blueposts on the forum saying such should have been a clear billboard sign for people to read what it was all about. Unfortunately people often let good rep of the past hide the flaws of the present.

chokke
03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
PC Gamer doesn't sell reviews, lol.

The negative user reviews are real.