PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 4 RC Is out!

Antikythera
03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/RC/

Finally, Loving it so much so far.

The new UI is so good, stripped it down to the essentials and added a nice theme, love the minimalistic feel to it.

Haven't had any problems so far, all of my add-ons work flawlessly.
and the best part is that it's way faster, most pages load way faster now.

Huge improvement over Firefox 3.6

All Firefox Users, Download this now! And for those who don't use Firefox, Try it out ;)

Bud042
03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Do we have the option to keep it looking like 3.6? If I wanted it to look like how it does in 4.0, I'd use Opera.

Antikythera
03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Do we have the option to keep it looking like 3.6? If I wanted it to look like how it does in 4.0, I'd use Opera.

Yes, You can customize the UI anyway you want really.

Bud042
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Yes, You can customize the UI anyway you want really.

I'll give it a shot then

Look, with my luck, something will be ♥♥♥♥ed up :p

Reebdoog
03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Oh, hope they've fixed some of the issues I've been having since 4.0B1. Still there in B12

Bud042
03-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Status bar is ♥♥♥♥ed up; instead of showing a URL in the status bar, it makes a pop-up above it

Knew something would be stupid...

grumble grumble

Baron_Fel
03-09-2011, 05:32 PM
if you like minimalism youll love IE9.

chaplain_wu
03-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Looks a tad too much like Chrome.

Bud042
03-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Says Personas doesn't work

Oh, well, it's still working

Ok

iBMe
03-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Status bar is ♥♥♥♥ed up; instead of showing a URL in the status bar, it makes a pop-up above it

grumble grumble

? for me the status bar auto-hides when not hovering over a link or loading a page.

No actual loading bar shows though which kind of sucks.

Bud042
03-09-2011, 05:36 PM
? for me the status bar auto-hides when not hovering over a link or loading a page.

No actual loading bar shows though which kind of sucks.

Oh, I just have the Add-On bar...no more status bar then ok

BS_1
03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I liked the betas until they removed the notification asking you if you wanted to save your tabs. Now all it says is Close Tabs and Cancel.

freeloader105
03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I got tired of FF and switched to Chrome. I think I might give it a serious look again when FF 4.0 comes out. On second thought.. Chrome feels so .. cold, when compared to Firefox. There is still no browser faster than Chrome, but sentimental factors can be so powerful.

iBMe
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
I liked the betas until they removed the notification asking you if you wanted to save your tabs. Now all it says is Close Tabs and Cancel.

oh yeah, that's odd it was a useful feature.

EDIT: you can just goto history > restore previous session though.

Bud042
03-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Anybody know if I can at least change the color of the new pop-up status bar? Cuz when everything else is dark and that is an annoying white/tan, it doesn't rly fit...

BS_1
03-09-2011, 05:47 PM
oh yeah, that's odd it was a useful feature.

EDIT: you can just goto history > restore previous session though.
That brings me to another point, it's saving history when I don't want it to. I have "Remember browsing history" disabled in the options, so why I can I see my last closed tabs in History?

That's what is nice about Firefox asking to save on exit. If I wanted something to save I could save it, if not I would just close Firefox.

amishbass
03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Anybody know if I can at least change the color of the new pop-up status bar? Cuz when everything else is dark and that is an annoying white/tan, it doesn't rly fit...

Personas Plus: Not available for Firefox 4.0 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/appearance/?sort=popular) :mad:

tukai
03-09-2011, 06:41 PM

grumble grumble

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/

Soaked
03-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Looks a tad too much like Chrome.

It's a mixture between Chrome and Opera.

envirovore
03-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Thank you.

BlazingNova
03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the update :)

Bud042
03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Personas Plus: Not available for Firefox 4.0 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/appearance/?sort=popular) :mad:

Try Interactive Themes; that seems to replace it just fine

:D

Corruption876
03-09-2011, 07:19 PM
My god... SO MUCH SPACE

Anasazi
03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
It doesn't put a box around links that you click any more *sadface*.

Bud042
03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
So, I'm not liking that your tabs move a ton when you close one. Close, and slide the rest over. It is not necessary to have them do a little burial dance of their recently closed tab friend.

NitrousX
03-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Just upgraded from Beta 12 to RC. No noticeable differences AFAIK... :D

5.45MM
03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Firefox is outdated. Chrome is the way to go. No bloat, speed, and simplicity. Firefox is slipping.

Bud042
03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Firefox is outdated. Chrome is the way to go. No bloat, speed, and simplicity. Firefox is slipping.

Chrome has been slow on two different machines for me

Firefox isn't bloated and is pretty simple if you don't go into addons and scripts

Antikythera
03-09-2011, 08:50 PM

Firefox isn't outdated, Bloated, slow or un-simplistic at all, at least try out Firefox 4 before you say that.

Like they say:

A Firefox a day keeps the Botnet Away :cool:

The Bunny King
03-09-2011, 09:03 PM

It seems Firefox 4 RC has the option turned off by default (stupid). Just have to enable it back again through about:config

Set these two options to: true

browser.showQuitWarning
browser.warnOnRestart

Your "save tabs" window will come back.

The Bunny King
03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Where do I find this file?

Open a new blank tab and in the url window type: about:config

You will see a warning window prompt. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!"

paste the two options and it should auto-find them for you. Then double click them to set them to true.

Bud042
03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Open a new blank tab and in the url window type: about:config

You will see a warning window prompt. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!"

paste the two options and it should auto-find them for you. Then double click on it to set it to true.

Yah, just figured it out and deleted my comment haha

Thanks for the info though ;)

The Bunny King
03-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Yah, just figured it out and deleted my comment haha

Thanks for the info though ;)

No problem.

BS_1
03-09-2011, 09:47 PM
It seems Firefox 4 RC has the option turned off by default (stupid). Just have to enable it back again through about:config

Set these two options to: true

browser.showQuitWarning
browser.warnOnRestart

Your "save tabs" window will come back.
Thank you! I just tested it out on my laptop and it's all good. I'll have to edit it on my desktop tomorrow.

Bud042
03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you! I just tested it out on my laptop and it's all good. I'll have to edit it on my desktop tomorrow.

I also did some tweaking of the connection and pipeline settings in about:config. Definitely noticing my Firefox going faster :cool:

http://techfragments.com/news/538/Software/The_12_Best_Firefox_AboutConfig_Performance_Tweaks .html
http://egonitron.com/2007/05/25/the-truth-about-the-firefox-pipelining-trick/

l4nd0fc0nfu510n
03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
For as long as I can remember, when I open firefox, it gangs for about 6 seconds. This is after I've been browsing fine for about a minute.

It still does.

The Bunny King
03-09-2011, 10:02 PM
For as long as I can remember, when I open firefox, it gangs for about 6 seconds. This is after I've been browsing fine for about a minute.

It still does.

Did you do a clean uninstall. Including disabling any add-ons?

Yiffles
03-09-2011, 11:14 PM
I tried the beta, and wasn't pleased with the minimalist UI, because it took away the history and tools menu, which I use all the time. Really, I thought they Firefox button would have allowed access to them.

dibarra2004
03-09-2011, 11:46 PM
I did an upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0RC. Everything looks the same except for status bar popup. It's fast like chrome, and has a nice transparent theme. All add-ons are working and personas do work.

JupiterSWarrior
03-10-2011, 12:32 AM
I tried the beta, and wasn't pleased with the minimalist UI, because it took away the history and tools menu, which I use all the time. Really, I thought they Firefox button would have allowed access to them.
Huh. That's odd. I have access to those two menu items.

Have you tried Right-clicking on the tab bar and selecting "Menu Bar"? 'Cause that's what I did, and it works.:cool:

L.o.D.
03-10-2011, 05:46 AM
I just updated from 3.6 to FF 4 RC & not all my add-ons work.
I have the nightly tester tools add-on that used to allow me to force install/compatibility, but no longer does now.
How do I force compatibility with the now disabled add-ons?

hassani9
03-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Nothing new. I've had this for a few months now.. Still nice to get the word out. It is awesome and I switched from Google Chrome to this.

ernest.
03-10-2011, 06:30 AM
I've been using the same theme (whitehart) for almost 5 years...and he's not going to update it to work with 4.0. I'm not switching until I have to

Tyrax Lightning
03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm on FF 3.6.(whatever the buggers this Number is atm), will it auto-update to FF4, or does FF4 have to be installed manually only? & if yes, do I wanna manually uninstall FF3.6 1st?

Beef
03-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Yay, I'm liking the minimalistic interface. :D

FreemanForPrez
03-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Well thanks for the information at least. I'm pretty happy with the current version - 3.6.15.
I love my status bar the way it is though. If the new FF screwed it up, I'm not interested.

iBMe
03-10-2011, 10:43 AM
anyone else having problems with youtube? the videos work but the controls are all messed up.

Antikythera
03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
anyone else having problems with youtube? the videos work but the controls are all messed up.

No problems for me, You sure you have the latest Flash?

envirovore
03-10-2011, 12:27 PM
My only complaint thus far:

The flipped the options for Open Link in New Window and Open Link in New Tab around when you right click a link. This leads to me opening a copious amount of new windows. Not a big deal, but rather annoying.

Loads up a lot faster than 3.6 did for me, loads pages a lot quicker as well. RAM usage is about the same, though I'll have to check that again later.

Anasazi
03-10-2011, 02:33 PM
So, I was joking a bit about highlighting links when you click them, BUT, I realized I can't middle click to scroll.

Not sure if it's just a screwed up installation or what but it's kind of silly.

Bud042
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
The flipped the options for Open Link in New Window and Open Link in New Tab around when you right click a link. This leads to me opening a copious amount of new windows. Not a big deal, but rather annoying.

Such a pointless change...

I'd like to know if there's a way to do this, as well

BS_1
03-10-2011, 04:52 PM
So, I was joking a bit about highlighting links when you click them, BUT, I realized I can't middle click to scroll.

Not sure if it's just a screwed up installation or what but it's kind of silly.
I haven't been able to middle click and scroll in Firefox for a long time. :(

Kiya
03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
middle click scroll still works fine with Firefox and my logitech MX518

Edited to add - go to Tools, select Options from the dropdown list, and in the General tab make sure that 'use autoscrolling' is checked in the Browsing section if you havn't already.

BS_1
03-10-2011, 06:22 PM
middle click scroll still works fine with Firefox and my logitech MX518

Edited to add - go to Tools, select Options from the dropdown list, and in the General tab make sure that 'use autoscrolling' is checked in the Browsing section if you havn't already.
Ah, thank you. It works now. :)

Hwkiller
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Aww... change is near.

I like my setup (http://i.imgur.com/3IgFk.png)

Got firefox 4 running beautifully. (http://i.imgur.com/F2zsx.png)
Wish I could shrink that menu down a bit. I also have an "auto-hide menubar" extension.

There's one thing left that bugs me. That awful font anti-aliasing. It doesn't look "smooth", it looks fuzzy. Any way of disabling that?

Oop, changed it again. Now it's final (http://i.imgur.com/XGpDm.jpg)

Tannekr
03-10-2011, 07:19 PM

I'd like to know if there's a way to do this, as well

Add-on Compatibility Reporter (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/)

The add-on was made by Mozilla to let users test add-ons and see if the developer needed to update their add-on. I just use it to bypass the compatibility check.

Your add-on may or may not work when you use it since all it does is bypass the check.

Bud042
03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Add-on Compatibility Reporter (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/)

Thanks very much ;)

velvetmeds
03-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Do you recommend ditching "old" firefox and use the RC1? I have Chrome in case there's any problems, but i use Firefox for important things like bank account managing and such.

Hwkiller
03-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Do you recommend ditching "old" firefox and use the RC1? I have Chrome in case there's any problems, but i use Firefox for important things like bank account managing and such.

I'd wait if you're concerned about issues like that.

So far my experience has been perfect with ff4, but why jump on it if there are security/stability concerns? :)

hahaokayman
03-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Bump for web browsing justice.

Get it, try it, love it.

Firefox's bookmarks toolbar is one of the reasons I use Firefox, I like how RSS feeds become dropdown "menus" instead of a whole page that you have to scroll through (IE, Opera)

That and ABP.

generic
03-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm trying it out and it's very snappy and fast. There's a minor UI glitch when searching for add-ons but that's pretty much the only problem I can think of.

The main thing I noticed and loved is that JavaScript alerts are now tab-modal, and about damn time too. No more JS alerts hijacking your browsing session.

Scared
03-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I love FF4 and I ended up installing it on my computer at work :D (Too bad I can't install Win7 at work :()

Tyrax Lightning
03-26-2011, 08:21 AM
I've taken the leap & tried out Firefox 4! :) I dunno about how the 'History' stuff is handled, & I don't understand why Loading Status stuff that was previously shown on the Lower Browser Bar is showing up in a Tooltip kinda Window above it now when the Lower Browsing Bar isn't doing anything now... but otherwise doesn't feel too different from Firefox 3.

Also still trying to get a feel on if Loading feels any faster or not compared to before. I am liking getting to see more of my Browser Persona Pic though! :)

Edit: Update, i'm noticing much faster Web Page loading times! This is the best improvement yet thus far! :D