PDA

View Full Version : Homefront got a 5/10 in Edge. Ouch.

Protein214x
03-10-2011, 11:05 AM
http://gamingbolt.com/latest-edge-review-score-dragon-age-2-fails-to-impress

Knights
03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I've seen the game play videos, and I'm not surprised...

sekhu
03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
yeha a 5/10 is like a 7/10 for edge

sparkypark
03-10-2011, 11:25 AM
lol, wouldn't trust scores from edge personally.

Dragon Age 2 is fun, Yakuza 4 was 1 of the worst game ive played in a while (played the demo), Bulletstorm demo was boring.

Crappy magazine, never liked it and never will!

FrontlinerDelta
03-10-2011, 11:25 AM
I've seen the game play videos, and I'm not surprised...

Yet they give Bulletstorm a 9?

And DA2 got a 6? I wouldn't be suprised if they gave Blops and MW2 9s as well.

Whatever, other people's opinions are pointless towards my decision.

Heids24
03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't put much weight into a single review. You can look at virtually any game and find some screwball magazine or website that gave a great game a questionably low score or a bad game an unbelievably high score.

For instance:

Dead Space 2 had a metacritic score of 90, but one website gave it a 60.
Tron Evolution has a metacritic score of 58, but one website gave it an 83.

Also, there are two other reviews for Homefront out there of 83% and 90% so early indications seem to be favorable.

i_2_i
03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
http://gamingbolt.com/latest-edge-review-score-dragon-age-2-fails-to-impress

ok i see 5 for homefront

but where is link to review so we can read why in their oppinion its only a 5

i guess you have to buy the edge to find out...

Daner
03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
They give Bulletstorm 9/10, but Homefront 5/10? I dont trust them

FrontlinerDelta
03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
They give Bulletstorm 9/10, but Homefront 5/10? I dont trust them

My thoughts exactly. They also gave DA2 a 6/10. Now why I personally don't like DA series, I HIGHLY doubt a game by Bioware would be terrible like that...

MADDOGGE
03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
The only way any reviewer has any validity for a particular person is if they have liked every game you liked and hated every game you hated. Don't think thats possible.

pokedex2536
03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Edge is probably one of those reviewers that makes money off being payed to give a good rating.

Heids24
03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Edge is probably one of those reviewers that makes money off being payed to give a good rating.

So you're saying that Kaos didn't pay them??? So they blackmale game developers? "Pay us or we're going to give you a 5/10 game rating"???

pokedex2536
03-10-2011, 01:35 PM
So you're saying that Kaos didn't pay them??? So they blackmale game developers? "Pay us or we're going to give you a 5/10 game rating"???

In a way it seems like that. Any reviewer that gives bulletstorm about twice the rating of homefront is either blackmailing or stupid :D

RevolutionMono
03-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I lol'd. It's stupid reviewers, they give probably the worst ratings I've ever seen. I've never trusted them, never will.

I've read some great reviews for homefront, from names I trust more, so I'll take it from them if not from myself when the game comes out.

Oggy1985
03-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Homefront 5, Bullet storm 9?? ROFL, ok, my taste definitely isn't the same as "reviews" at GamingBolt.

shr00mz
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
stopped reading when i read they gave ♥♥♥♥storm aka bulletstorm a 9..

BoomSlang
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah I can take that as a 7/10. Some of their reviews may seem off, but Bulletstorm was a great game. If you didn't know what you're getting into before playing it, then that's your problem. I disliked the demo, but loved the game. Unfortunately there's no real way for competitive multiplayer so I just rented the game. However, it's a much longer SP campaign than most games and tries to change the genre, which is very unusual even in this saturated FPS market. Respect Bulletstorm. Seriously. If Homefront isn't that great-it's not that great.

jkmjelite
03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/publication/edge-magazine?filter=games
Do love that 85% of the time they rate lower than everyone else.

BuckarooBanzai
03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
sure would be nice to have a review to go with the score, its hard to tell if the reviewer is a drooling moron without it.

MADDOGGE
03-10-2011, 07:42 PM
In a way it seems like that. Any reviewer that gives bulletstorm about twice the rating of homefront is either blackmailing or stupid :DI would have given Bulletstorm a 10 if it had had quicksave. I loved it. Fun and whacky and different for a change. I think Homefront is going to be a good game as well but it's hardly going to bring anything new to the FPS genre so a 7.5 or 8 a good solid score seems fair. I don't think 5 was a fair review at all though. The guy didn't get paid enough I guess. Wonder if he even took the game out of the case?

FLIPTAKU
03-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Waiting for more reviews to come in.

RevolutionMono
03-10-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/publication/edge-magazine?filter=games
Do love that 85% of the time they rate lower than everyone else.

LOL

just saw they gave Halo 3 a 96... automatically discredited.

pokedex2536
03-10-2011, 08:25 PM
LOL

well they actually gave halo 3 94, but still.

FrontlinerDelta
03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
LOL

Even worse...they gave the PC version of MW2 a 90. Anyone who would give that copy/paste POS is hardly an authority on what makes a good game.

They also seem to have actually given a 100 to a game...wow.

That means in their eyes, Rock Band 3 is the perfect game and nothing about it could have been better in any way.

Yeah...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Homefront will probably be pretty damn good.

LckMyNts
03-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Maybe these reviewers are teenagers? Bulletstorm looks like the perfect game for the 8-17 crowd... Laughable.

makke007
03-11-2011, 12:31 AM
This is not an good Gaming Website. Wait for Reviews of IGN or the german Gamestar for example

FrontlinerDelta
03-11-2011, 12:32 AM
This is not an good Gaming Website. Wait for Reviews of IGN or the german Gamestar for example

Only reviewer who has consistently delivered good scores, imo, is PC Gamer.

mestido
03-11-2011, 02:48 AM
Edge? Never heard...

(terror)
03-11-2011, 04:21 AM
edge is basically ign

Wait for Reviews of IGN

lmao ign

xruiner89
03-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Also the PC version is made by a separate team than the console version, the developers have even said the PC version blows the console version away. From what i've seen of the game (console footage) the single player looks good, the multiplayer does look good however a little rough around the edges and i really really do not like the names above players everywhere or if you look near them. As long as the devs support it post release on PC aswell as consoles i'll be happy that they are sticking to it and not put all thier resources into Homefront 2 already. PC players are harder to please than console players, don't mess us around or we can bury your franchise haha.

elmoi69
03-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Another review, this one for xbox360 console: Overall Rating 8.5 (out of 10)
http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/reviews/review/693/Homefront.html

From the review:
Overall:
Kaos Studios should be proud as they have done a highly commendable job of reinventing ideas we've seen in Frontlines , piecing them into a more cohesive palatable story and releasing a new game which feels accomplished and easy to play. With so many shooters on the market it's a shame there's not more on offer for solo players or co-operative play which seems to be gaining more prominence these days. Whilst it could be easy to mark off Homefront as just another shooter, the reality is that although it is, there's enough substance under the hood well worth experiencing. It's a great game, which only lacks vision of its own grandeur which slightly holds it back from being the ultimately amazing game it could be. As it stands, if you're a shooter fan and like big team battles, a decent story, engaging solid gun-play, then Homefront offers it in spades, buries you in it and leaves you to be consumed by its bombast premise. The subject matter could be seen as topical for the sake of it, if you take off the cynical spectacles and just bask in what's thrown at you, you'll find a comprehensive, substantiated game which is well worth the investment.

Tufelhunden
03-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for posting the last review, it solidifies my decision to pre-order.

DTKT
03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for posting the last review, it solidifies my decision to pre-order.

I would wait a bit more.

You dont get a 5/10 without being a broken game. Something is wrong for a game to get that low of a score and an 8.5 somewhere else.

I did pre-order it and I'm starting to get a little worried of my investment.

CalmWind23
03-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Zoo - 9/10

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292885/homefront-review-9/10-in-zoo/

DTKT
03-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Zoo - 9/10

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292885/homefront-review-9/10-in-zoo/

What the hell is zoo...

Seronx
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
IGN 13/5

just trollin

Heids24
03-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Xbox Addict - 93%

http://www.xboxaddict.com/Staff-Review/13337/Homefront---.html

This comment from the review has me even more excited to see the real thing,

"I can say unequivocally that the multiplayer in Homefront is, by far, my multiplayer of choice in the FPS genre. "

Spaziogames - 85%

elmoi69
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
More reviews are in:
Multiplayer.it PC Review: 8.5
http://multiplayer.it/recensioni/86242-homefront-linizio-della-liberazione.html

hardgame2.com Xbox360: 9.3

DTKT
03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
How come none of the mainstream/more popular site haven't put of a review yet?

No Eurogamer, Game Informer, IGN, Kotaku? You know, the quotes you want on your box?

Humma Kavula
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
This company clearly fails at their ratings...

Cyzthur
03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
People seem to like DA 2 and edge gave it a 6 sooo...yeah. You have to earn the trust of your readers before your reviews mean anything. I think I bought a copy of Edge once...

FrontlinerDelta
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
People seem to like DA 2 and edge gave it a 6 sooo...yeah. You have to earn the trust of your readers before your reviews mean anything. I think I bought a copy of Edge once...

Yeah I have a hard time believing that anything by Bioware could deserve such a low score, regardless of my personal dislike of DA:O.

Arcane_Avatar
03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
People seem to like DA 2

Indeed (http://i.imgur.com/WX45j.jpg).

DAH
03-11-2011, 03:37 PM
May I ask what is so bad about Bulletstorm that you all think it is undeserving of a good score?

LckMyNts
03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
It looks like a kiddie game? ridiculous weapons? ridiculous character models? It just plain looks stupid?

pokedex2536
03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
It looks like a kiddie game? ridiculous weapons? ridiculous character models? It just plain looks stupid?

and the characters say a certain word that is slang for a body part I will not mention every 2 seconds.

DAH
03-11-2011, 03:55 PM

The same was said about Wind Waker and that game is one of the best gamecube games ever made.

pokedex2536
03-11-2011, 03:57 PM
The same was said about Wind Waker and that game is one of the best gamecube games ever made.

Wind waker is Nintendo, and aimed at kids. I'm pretty sure Bulletstorm (rated M) with constant swearing and gore can't have the same story.

DAH
03-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Wind waker is Nintendo, and aimed at kids. I'm pretty sure Bulletstorm (rated M) with constant swearing and gore can't have the same story.

I'm not saying it should have the same story. But those who knock games just because they "look ridiculous", then they really need to think about that mentality. Besides it is meant as over the top shooter, sure they swear and have gore (blood and such) but hey so does Bad company 2 (ok no dismemberment but still plenty of blood).

Edit: Poor grammer.

pokedex2536
03-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm not saying it should have the same story. But those who knock games just because they "look ridiculous" really need to think about that mentality. Besides it is meant as over the top shooter, sure they swear and have gore (blood and such) but hey so does Bad company 2 (ok no dismemberment but still plenty of blood).

by story I didn't mean the games story. I find it kind of weird Bulletstorm is themed around singleplayer but has a 2 hour campaign and Bad company 2 themes around multiplayer, and bad company 2 has a longer campaign. oh and it costs less too.

DAH
03-11-2011, 04:08 PM
by story I didn't mean the games story. I find it kind of weird Bulletstorm is themed around singleplayer but has a 2 hour campaign and Bad company 2 themes around multiplayer, and bad company 2 has a longer campaign. oh and it costs less too.

We aren't talking about how long the game's single player campaign is. I still don't see why people are waving it off like this.

pokedex2536
03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
We aren't talking about how long the game's single player campaign is. I still don't see why people are waving it off like this.

60 dollars, 2 hours of playtime no re-playability.

One of the reasons.

DAH
03-11-2011, 04:13 PM
60 dollars, 2 hours of playtime no re-playability.

One of the reasons.

I will admit the price is a tad bit strong, but it's real meat isn't in how long the single player campaign is. Have you tried multiplayer with your friends? Have you tried to kill enemies in new and interesting ways? That is where the replayability is.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.

lordon
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I think this game is gonna let a lot of people down...

pokedex2536
03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
I will admit the price is a tad bit strong, but it's real meat isn't in how long the single player campaign is. Have you tried multiplayer with your friends? Have you tried to kill enemies in new and interesting ways? That is where the replayability is.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.

Oh dang, I didn't know there was a multiplayer :p

DAH
03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Oh dang, I didn't know there was a multiplayer :p

Sarcasm isn't earning you any points right now.

pokedex2536
03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Sarcasm isn't earning you any points right now.

Probably because there was no sarcasm.

DAH
03-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Probably because there was no sarcasm.

Ah I see sorry the tongue sticking out made it look like it was.

pokedex2536
03-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Ah I see sorry the tongue sticking out made it look like it was.

Yeah, steam has a pretty weird "smilie" for : P

Anyways, time to get back on topic I guess.

remrem44
03-11-2011, 06:23 PM
They gave breach an 8.5 :rolleyes:

i_2_i
03-11-2011, 07:01 PM
They gave breach an 8.5 :rolleyes:

i guess homefront didn't pay up ;)

Friendliest
03-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Not that I am vouching for this game -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is only a "5/10" or worse... -- but pro reviewers are fools and useless and u are a fool if u base ur purchasing decisions on a simple "m out of n" rating anyway, no matter who is behind it.

But the pro sites/mags/etc. are just playing a political/marketing game with the manufacturers/publishers, to keep them all in business and duping you out of your money.

If it was really **** would they tell you?

No.

They format their magazines a certain way: every month they need a "star of the show" and every month they need a game to beat up on.

Don't believe the hype.

But don't buy crappy games that exclude PC from "exclusive" content, don't provide good demo experience on PC etc.

Migasa
03-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Well, edge seems to be the only one with this opinion:

MS Xbox World - 8.5
Quote:
"Kaos Studios should be proud as they have done a highly commendable job of reinventing ideas we've seen in Frontlines , piecing them into a more cohesive palatable story and releasing a new game which feels accomplished and easy to play... The subject matter could be seen as topical for the sake of it, if you take off the cynical spectacles and just bask in what's thrown at you, you'll find a comprehensive, substantiated game which is well worth the investment."
OPM Italy - 9/10
Quote:
One of the most intense, emotional experiences of 2011.
Xbox Addict - 93%

Quote:
THQ has already set personal records for preorders and I have no doubt that Homefront will be their hit this year. Combining so many elements into such a cohesive story, THQ has reminded me why I love gaming.
HardGame - 9.5

Quote:
If you are a lover of FPS, Homefront is a must-have that you should not miss. The plot grabs us from the first moment because of how strong it is and the great atmosphere that was generated around this fictional, futuristic context. If we add an extremely fun game concept, a variety of amazing action sequences and a multiplayer mode that will be placed in the top of each platform, and clear the good that has resulted in this title Kaos Studios. From HardGame2 and we fervently hope the arrival of a sequel, because if something has gotten Homefront is surprising and captivating from the beginning. Meanwhile, continue to enjoy the multiplayer.

Multiplayer.it - 8.5

Quote:
Homefront succeeds in creating a believable and fascinating universe, to be used as a starting point for a series that we hope will grow in its future releases. For the moment the campaign for single player is well made, entertaining for what it is but a too short duration and with a few flaws of youth that would have deserved more attention. The multiplayer is placed without fear competing with the other greats, bringing an experience capable of entertaining thanks to a set of well-oiled mechanical one another. Finally, we were pleasantly surprised by the work of conversion of the PC version tested, well done and led by many of the demands that fans of the mouse and keyboard are used to.
SpazioGames.it - 8.5
Quote:
An interesting background and some multiplayer goodness make Homefront a good buy if you love story-driven FPS and some online squad-based massacre. With some more polish, a tighter and slightly longer campaign and more content it could've been a great title.
RageQuit - 9/10
Quote:
Homefront is a FPS with brains, fantastic story, and multiplayer fun.
PSM3 Magazine - 83%
Zoo Magazine - 9/10

From the offical forum :)

harvesto
03-12-2011, 06:37 AM
They gave Breach 8.5....