PDA

View Full Version : Custom Particles - Finally?

advarp
03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Left 4 Dead 2 update 12th Mar 11

Added support custom campaign particles. Custom campaigns can specify their own particles_manifest.txt file as well as any per map files. The per map files need to reside in the maps directory and be in the form: <mapname>_particles.txt

Can't wait to see if it works... been using a hackish approach till now...

Thingy Person
03-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Another I Hate Mountains update that will take half a year to come out =P

HellaLouYaah
03-13-2011, 11:23 AM
"Custom campaigns can specify their own particles_manifest.txt"

So did anyone get this to work?? I still get the error, valve didn't really explain very well.

Is the specif-ication-ing done in the mission.txt or do I run some command?

ThaiGrocer
03-13-2011, 01:39 PM
"Custom campaigns can specify their own particles_manifest.txt"

So did anyone get this to work?? I still get the error, valve didn't really explain very well.

Is the specif-ication-ing done in the mission.txt or do I run some command?
I think they were implying when you pack it into the VPK (in the scripts particles folder of the addon) it would only be loaded by that campaign when the correct addoninfo is created. I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Then there's the per-map particle list that's added in the maps folder, but I'm guessing you want to avoid that?

HellaLouYaah
03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Oh, so I guess it won't work without VPKing it first? Like for the per-map text file:

particles_manifest
{

"file" "particles/myparticle.pcf"

}

I just didn't want to have to VPK if I didn't have to, although not sure how that addoninfo.txt code would look for particles.

"addonContent_Particle 1"

Maybe?

ThaiGrocer
03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
VPK'ing appears to be necessary, but I still have some lingering doubts that you really NEED to do it. I guess we'll deal with that later.

So I was wrong about the need for addoninfo.txt. Fortunately, the minimum that you need to do is to create a vpk only containing an updated particles\particles_manifest.txt. I'm confident that it treats as a content pack then, meaning that it overrides the client particles_manifest.txt completely. It's the same thing with sounds that you can override per-VPK, not universally, once you have the correct information added (like in Military Industrial Complex II themonsterswithin.wav).

The cool thing is that once you create that simple add-on, you can update your particles and see it immediately in your map or test map while in Tools Mode. The only trouble I'm having now is getting rid of the Nav Error Map is Unplayable easily. The only way seems to play around with F10, ESC, ~... or just make a proper dummy map to begin with. Wasn't there a console or launcher command that was mentioned somewhere in a forum that would get rid of that altogether?

Oh, and I found this helpful as a starter to rule out additional problems while troubleshooting: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particle_System_Overview#Creating_your_first_Syste m. You definitely should be able to see a bunch of white squares.

edit: Particle editing is surprisingly a lot of fun once you get the whole process streamlined. I hope a lot of people get to try it out some time. Valve made balloons! It would be great to have where a birthday party has gone totally wrong or a botched and rainy AAA video game promotion.

Oh, so I guess it won't work without VPKing it first? Like for the per-map text file:

particles_manifest
{

"file" "particles/myparticle.pcf"

}

I just didn't want to have to VPK if I didn't have to, although not sure how that addoninfo.txt code would look for particles.

"addonContent_Particle 1"

Maybe?
I just added an additional entry to the existing particles_manifest.txt, but it would make sense if that was the only suite of particles used in your campaign. I should try that out some time.

HellaLouYaah
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for that^. So I just need a VPK with the new particle_manifest.txt? Sounds easy enough.

Check this tutorial for some particle editor basics if you haven't seen it.

http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26856

ThaiGrocer
03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Turns out it doesn't override and does something else. I'm referring to creating a particles_manifest.txt with a single entry and then packing it as simple add-on with just the manifest in the correct folder. So my guess would be that any add-on with a particles_manifest will just add to the existing official list. With the addition of the per-map option, that's an awesome fool-proof system.

Although, I'm not sure of other combinations, like if someone were to try to replace an official pcf through a VPK or have two non-campaign add-ons with particles_manifest.txt.

edit: that's a fantastic tutorial, hellalouyaah, especially with the pictures included.

HellaLouYaah
03-13-2011, 10:10 PM
I got it working they way you said, thanks for checking it out.

Yeah that tutorial is good for understanding the basics, but there are so many options in the damn editor.. fun to mess with.