PDA

View Full Version : Doom movie Reboot? Why?

GirlPower23
03-11-2011, 11:56 PM
http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2011/03/hollywood-insider-doom-you-hollywood/

I'm sort of speechless. The first one was terrible.. now they want to "Reboot" the series.. sigh.

Baron_Fel
03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
was the first one the one with THE ROCK in it? Or was that Riddick? Anyway if its terrible a reboot is what you would hope for.

joeylawn
03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
$.

(the usual reason :()

Europhoria
03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
was the first one the one with THE ROCK in it? Or was that Riddick? Anyway if its terrible a reboot is what you would hope for.

Yeah it was the one with the Rock. Riddick had Vin Diesel. The Chronicles of Riddick is apparently getting two sequels.

Sgt.Gotee
03-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Of all the things to use as source material, ya know?

Amy
03-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Since The Rock is back to the ring, it cannot be worse.

trojanrabbit.gg
03-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah it was the one with the Rock. Riddick had Vin Diesel. The Chronicles of Riddick is apparently getting two sequels.

I actually liked the Riddick movies though. So I wouldn't mind a couple more of them. Doom though? Not so much...

pendulousphallu
03-12-2011, 01:08 AM
The universe of Doom -- awesome atmosphere, terrible plot.

Ah well, I'll still probably watch it outta curiosity. Way to contribute to the problem, Pendy.

King Pirgnob
03-12-2011, 01:10 AM
The universe has potential to make a great story if a good writer was hired to write it. Unfortunately this is just going to be another terrible 3D film looking to make big on its opening weekend, then fall off as reviews get out and people realize how terrible it is.

bdmason
03-12-2011, 01:13 AM
"Doctor Carmack!"

My eyes rolled out of my sockets at that point.

Zefar
03-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Eh I'll go see it. The Doom movie had some cool stuff in it. I wish though they brought out hell this time rather than a scientific experiment. Because it just went "Resident Evil IN SPACE" Like quite literally.

I didn't mind the last part either.

Parliamentarian
03-12-2011, 01:58 AM
The Doom movie had some cool stuff in it.

The only things cool in it was the 30 seconds of first-person perspective mayhem at the very end of it, and the credits rolling.

I think it sucked so much because it wasn't written as a Doom movie. It was some generic sci-fi movie that would never have generated any buzz without the Doom name.

It is fairly obvious in one scene where they ♥♥♥♥ up the dialogue. As soon as they step out of the portal into the "Mars" base, one of them says something like, "How's it feel to be a million light years from home?"

In an interview with someone (the director, I think) he mentioned that originally the story was to take place in a completely different galaxy. I bet if pressed further, he would have mentioned that it was simply molded into something that sorta-kinda resembles the Doom story line for the sake of sales.

bdmason
03-12-2011, 02:01 AM
I wish though they brought out hell this time rather than a scientific experiment.

They did that because it would make the movie "less scary" and ensure a PG-13 instead of R-rated movie so they could bring in a wider audience. A decent Doom movie probably can't be made unless it's R, and an R-rated Doom is not going to be made. This movie is a pretty much guaranteed fail.

You might wonder why movie studios make terrible movies sometimes. You should look up "Hollywood Taxes". Quite often a movie is made to PURPOSELY lose money, so that at the end of the year they can use it as a tax write-off and pay less taxes. It's a well known fact that this is why all the Uwe Boll movies were made until Germany changed their laws a year or so ago.

Crimson Rising
03-12-2011, 02:11 AM
Hope it's good.

Blackops
03-12-2011, 02:29 AM
The thing is with movies, everybody thinks they can do better than the last. There are tons of remakes of old ones that sometimes are a lot better than the first.

strawzombie
03-12-2011, 02:35 AM
If they reboot the film franchise, they shouldn't take themselves so seriously this time around. The first one was unintentionally campy, so I think the reboot should be intentionally campy and over-the-top.

Examples: Sin City, Kill Bill, Zombieland.

Now that I think about it, Mickey Rourke would make a pretty good space marine.

wilk0r
03-12-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm glad they decided to make a film about The Rock and friends in a facility on Mars in which various allusions to Hell are made under the guise of genetic experimentation... but it ain't Doom.

I stand by this comment until evidence suggesting otherwise appears :/

velvetmeds
03-12-2011, 04:03 AM
First one wasn't actually that bad. And i'm not even a big fan of the games.

Pebr
03-12-2011, 06:54 AM
I mean, i don't mind them trying to do a better job with the movie but i don't understand why they're not doing it with a game that has a better plot...

First of all, if they're rebooting anything it should be Max Payne... That atrocity of a movie.

More importantly, they should be making movies out of games that could be really epic and haven't been considered yet - Deus Ex, Thief, Mass Effect (in the works), Half-Life 1+2, Oni

stiighh
03-12-2011, 07:39 AM
I'd love to see a reboot of Starship Troopers. The first one was okay and fairly entertaining(especially when it was new and I was something like 10 years old) though not a very good movie, as in story and acting.

I still watch it sometimes, though, hehe. The sequels on the other hand >_> stay clear of them.

The_End254
03-12-2011, 07:42 AM
I mean, i don't mind them trying to do a better job with the movie but i don't understand why they're not doing it with a game that has a better plot...

First of all, if they're rebooting anything it should be Max Payne... That atrocity of a movie.

More importantly, they should be making movies out of games that could be really epic and haven't been considered yet - Deus Ex, Thief, Mass Effect (in the works), Half-Life 1+2, Oni

Deus Ex done like Blade runner could be so good IMO.

iBMe
03-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Well I guess there's a chance that it will be better the first attempt. at least its not a Quake or Duke Nukem movie.

MADDOGGE
03-12-2011, 07:54 AM
I was unaware that anyone had mad3 a real Doom movie.;) I'd rather see a real movie made of Quake 1.:cool:

The thing is with movies, everybody thinks they can do better than the last. There are tons of remakes of old ones that sometimes are a lot better than the first.Really? I can't remember many at all that were imo better than the originals were. Generally it's been my experience that they butcher the original and the Hollywood types hype it up. Naturally there are exceptions of course. My problem at the moment is I can't think of any.

bluz74
03-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Well I guess there's a chance that it will be better the first attempt. at least its not a Quake or Duke Nukem movie.

Nah. It's DOOMed. :p

Brain_Explodes
03-12-2011, 08:19 AM
How do you reboot that which does not have a story to begin with?

strawzombie
03-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Yeah, MADDOGGE already said it, but if id wants to make another movie, they should base it off of the Quake series rather than Doom again. Hell, even Wolfenstein or Rage.

bdmason
03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
id

has no involvement. The movie studios bought the rights to make DOOM films. They are the ones that decide if a new DOOM film is made.

l4nd0fc0nfu510n
03-12-2011, 11:54 AM
The first one was sorta cool to see in the theater. I'd been very excited to finally see a movie about one of the first PC games I'd ever played.

I don't have very high hopes for this one.

ozku
03-12-2011, 12:16 PM
1) Take a random "Let's play Doom demo" video from youtube
2) Add 3D effects
3) Add Epic Music
4) You got Doom movie

Or at least thats how it's supposed to go.

Draek
03-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Why? because Hollywood loves nothing more than abusing our childhood memories until they kill themselves in grief.

Anyways, from what I've heard the first Doom movie was actually pretty good, in that "unintentionally funny", B-movie sort of way. Haven't checked myself, because the original Doom is an intrinsic part of my childhood memories and fear depressing myself for life.

Error 52
03-12-2011, 12:26 PM
This could be a good thing. I mean, it could be a nice action movie with stupid 1 liners.

Just because it doesn't have gore doesn't mean it will be bad. Or good. Nor does having a action movie with 1 liners make it bad or good.

But, I can see this working.

bdmason
03-12-2011, 12:27 PM
1) Take a random "Let's play Doom demo" video from youtube
2) Add 3D effects
3) Add Epic Music
4) You got Doom movie

Or at least thats how it's supposed to go.

Not just any random doom... Kikoskia's playthough of DOOM 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R46ig0GXtT4). :cool:

GirlPower23
03-12-2011, 12:27 PM
This could be a good thing. I mean, it could be a nice action movie with stupid 1 liners.

Just because it doesn't have gore doesn't mean it will be bad. Or good. Nor does having a action movie with 1 liners make it bad or good.

But, I can see this working.

The first Doom movie was a failure.. and abomination.. what makes you think this will work?

Error 52
03-12-2011, 12:30 PM
The first Doom movie was a failure.. and abomination.. what makes you think this will work?

I'm not saying it will - Hell, it's probably going to be crappy, but if it went as a B Movie action "camp" movie it could be fun to watch. I mean "Reboots" typically give a chance to change things that didn't work.

GirlPower23
03-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm not saying it will - Hell, it's probably going to be crappy, but if it went as a B Movie action "camp" movie it could be fun to watch. I mean "Reboots" typically give a chance to change things that didn't work.

It does, very true. Unfortunately Reboot is used all to often nowadays.

Ihavenoidea
03-12-2011, 12:49 PM
The first one had The Rock.

The Rock.

I mean, is there any other reason required for them to justify a reboot?

marie pavie
03-12-2011, 01:04 PM
They're remaking it 'cause we've turned into an idiot nation that'll buy anything 'they' tell us to. Crappy movies, crappy games, crappy music, all multi million dollar industries.

Jderz
03-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking Seth Rogan would make a great neckbeard marine. May as well try it out since he's filled the role of neckbeard superhero already.

Parliamentarian
03-12-2011, 01:21 PM

The Quake marine kinda looks like him, actually:

Mickey Rourke (http://beborednomore.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/mickey-rourke.jpg)

Quake 1 Marine (http://www.wonderlandblog.com/photos/uncategorized/quake_marine_2.jpg)

I'm thinking Seth Rogan would make a great neckbeard marine. May as well try it out since he's filled the role of neckbeard superhero already.

TWICE! (He's as much a super hero as a stoner can be in Pineapple Express :p)

scarecrow007
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
All I can think is, ‘What a helluva time it is for cinema; Uni can Guillermo del Toro’s At the Mountains of Madness but are quick to put another video game movie on screens.’

This.

CannibalBob
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I'd see it, but only when it's free on Netflix or something. I'm tired of dishing out $20 to see a single movie!

wits
03-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I read somewhere that they don't even have a script yet, but it's confirmed to be in 3D.

supernaut
03-12-2011, 03:03 PM
There will come a day when we'll call a game-to-film adaptation a great film and in its own right, not just great among video game movies. This one will not bring us close to that day, but it's inevitable. Hollywood is predictable and what happened/is happening with comic book films, will happen here as well.

Draek
03-12-2011, 03:43 PM
There will come a day when we'll call a game-to-film adaptation a great film and in its own right, not just great among video game movies. This one will not bring us close to that day, but it's inevitable. Hollywood is predictable and what happened/is happening with comic book films, will happen here as well.

It wasn't made by Hollywood, but the Street Fighter II anime movie rocked. The SF Alpha one was fairly average and I'd rather not talk about the attrocity Capcom commissioned to promote SF4, but still, the SF2 movie was pretty good in its own right. IMHO, of course.

General Frags
03-12-2011, 04:06 PM
At least it can't be worse than the Doom comic...

BloodShed
03-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Eh I'll go see it. The Doom movie had some cool stuff in it. I wish though they brought out hell this time rather than a scientific experiment. Because it just went "Resident Evil IN SPACE" Like quite literally.

I didn't mind the last part either.

I love the FPS scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKLUtrXsXhU).
I hated the fact that there was no demon's or hell.

Here's hoping they do it right this time.

It would be funny as hell to see a movie version of the Doom comic.

Rip and tear!

0saladin0
03-12-2011, 04:37 PM
WHAT.

supernaut
03-12-2011, 05:00 PM
It wasn't made by Hollywood, but the Street Fighter II anime movie rocked. The SF Alpha one was fairly average and I'd rather not talk about the attrocity Capcom commissioned to promote SF4, but still, the SF2 movie was pretty good in its own right. IMHO, of course.

I was talking about live-action, I've seen very little from the animation side, only the two Final Fantasy films.

Parliamentarian
03-12-2011, 05:19 PM

You just made me think that a film adaptation of

"NO JOHN. YOU ARE THE DEMONS! (http://youarethedemons.wikidot.com/)"

Would be better than the one they actually made.

General Frags
03-12-2011, 05:43 PM
You just made me think that a film adaptation of

Would be better than the one they actually made.

That would be awesome as a directors cut ending.

Parliamentarian
03-12-2011, 05:46 PM
That would be awesome as a directors cut ending.

It'd be nice to see. That and someone saying the "you have huge guts" line. Good references to use if the movie is actually written by a true fan.

Ghostbreed
03-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I lol'd +rep

Larry1212
03-12-2011, 08:18 PM
I liked the first one... It was fun to watch.

Larry1212
03-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I love the FPS scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKLUtrXsXhU).

AIMBOT!!!

MysticTheurge
03-13-2011, 01:29 AM
A real Doom Movie would involve Hell and Daemons, not Science and mutants. Hope they will fix that.

UTROMSHREDDER
03-13-2011, 11:02 AM
If they reboot the film franchise, they shouldn't take themselves so seriously this time around. The first one was unintentionally campy, so I think the reboot should be intentionally campy and over-the-top.

Examples: Sin City, Kill Bill, Zombieland.

how many DOOM movies are there? i think it was only one right? it was not NEAR as good as the games were!

derpburp
03-13-2011, 11:04 AM
If they say it was chromosomes I will kill the Rock.

Parliamentarian
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
AIMBOT!!!

And a wallhack! At one point he comes around the corner already shooting and knocks that axe into the zombie's head. Total cheater. :o