PDA

View Full Version : Anything like Risk?

pegwin
03-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi. My husband is fond of Risk and strategy games and I was just wondering if this is the sort of thing he might like. I know there's a Risk game on sale, but it's sort of cartoony and I'm not sure he'd like that.

Can anyone tell me? Thanks!

Curs3d
03-13-2011, 01:48 AM
If he likes strategy games, I would imagine he would like Medieval II.

Medieval II is a mixture of turn-based and real-time strategy (this may be true for all games in the "Total War" series, really, but don't quote me on that). The turn-based action happens on a grander scale: managing your cities, building your forces, moving them to certain tiles, etc. Similar to Risk in a sense that it's a turn-based game.

Where it greatly differs is when your troops clashes with the enemy. It launches into a real-time strategy game, where you set up your armies, and then strategically maneuvering them around the battlefield to win over your opponent by attacking and destroying their forces. You can have thousands of units fighting each other on screen at once, and you are able to zoom down and see the action up close.

Now, the real-time strategy part is "optional" since you can let the computer automatically decide the battle, but that is definitely the heart of the game.

For $2.50, you can't really go wrong! But act fast since a new sale within the "Total War" series will go live later in the day, and this deal will be dead.

Moe45673
03-13-2011, 06:33 AM
I agree. I have only played Rome: Total War but Medieval 2 is very similar.

In fact, my first thought on playing was that the game is just like Risk only it lets you manage a lot more of the nittygritty and thereby a lot more immersive. For example, to get reinforcements for your army, you need to manage settlements and grow the population of those to pull new recruits from (it's not anywhere near as micromanaged as a Simcity game, but it's still a gameplay element), rather than just getting a predefined set of new units at the beginning of each turn. When you attack a new territory, you don't roll a few dice but actually fight out the battle on a battlefield with up to thousands of men running around. Plus, you can send out spies, assassins, diplomats, have fleets that do blockades, and a whole mess of other cool gameplay elements. In other words, it's like Risk but more engrossing!

If you have an older PC, Rome: Total War may be a better choice since its hardware requirements are not as strict as M2. Don't think you're getting a lesser game, there are plenty of folks out there who consider Rome to be the best release in the series (you really can't go wrong with either).

Btw, if you want a game that both of you can play on one PC, I recommend Greed Corp. It's one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" types of games. Turn based strategy, like Risk, but rounds end a lot quicker (depending on how long it takes you to move, like Chess). The only downside is you'd both have to use the same mouse and keyboard as it does not have controller support ("Hotseat Play", in other words). Or you can just get Risk: Factions :D But yeah, for single player, it's hard to beat Total War!

MhOFever
03-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I think he would definitely like the Total War games. Medieval 2 and Rome are the current ones I'd recommend (Shogun 2 demo was good, so the full version would too).

Build armies, maintain your economy, get involved in diplomatic relationships with other factions and take part in large-scale battles in real time, it really is a great turn based strategy game that mixes with real time, which of course is optional.

DeadlyFred
03-13-2011, 06:27 PM
These games are a lot different from risk. I'm thinking something more along the lines of Europa Universalis would be a more apt comparison. Not to say that he may not end up liking it but overall it really isn't much like Risk. There is a lot more going on, especially when you get into the real-time battles.

I will second the motion for Greed Corp as well, very good strategy game which provides deep gameplay but isn't difficult to get into and doesn't require any knack for keeping up with real-time engagements.