PDA

View Full Version : Can you get banned without cheating or hacking?

SilentHawk
03-13-2011, 09:33 AM
I have no intentions of cheating or hacking, but I wanted to know if it's possible to get VAC'd even if you don't consciously cheat or hack? And are there any measures that can prevent an accidental ban?

Nekomancer
03-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Just don't download anything from suspicious sources.

P.S.: Multiplyer-Servers with custom content downloads can't give you cheats.

Ettanin
03-13-2011, 09:50 AM
I have no intentions of cheating or hacking, but I wanted to know if it's possible to get VAC'd even if you don't consciously cheat or hack? And are there any measures that can prevent an accidental ban?

Yes, you can also get vacced for the following reasons:
* A friend of yours, a hacker or someone other than you using cheats on your account, with your knowledge or not.

* Running cheats and hacks without knowing that they are run/installed without knowing.

Those vacbans are, however, not liftable as they break the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

Ganger
03-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Relating to MW2, you get VAC banned for changing anything including... Console unlocker, hosting modded servers etc plus cheating.

Epson
03-13-2011, 11:52 AM

try not to get a virus, someone got vac'd accidentally because of that (although they removed the ban eventually)

ocarD
03-13-2011, 01:07 PM
try not to get a virus, someone got vac'd accidentally because of that (although they removed the ban eventually)Really? Never heard that before. Do you have a link to the source of this information?

666Ninja666
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Don't modify core game files and check for keyloggers often.

Nekomancer
03-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Really? Never heard that before. Do you have a link to the source of this information?

I remember that thread and tried searching for it, but it seems it got purged already.

kakkerlak
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM
the thread was called "told you so" I think.
it got removed but oscar can look :)
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710582

the useless things I store in my head.

Nekomancer
03-13-2011, 05:03 PM
+rep for you and your scary head storage space.

edit:
Darn, the forums say i'm not allowed to rep you, sorry.

polka
03-13-2011, 05:22 PM
i repped him and its working fine,

plus i like kakkerlak, hes a bit of a dude;)

jackpf
03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
i repped him and its working fine,

plus i like kakkerlak, hes a bit of a dude;)

I tried, but apparently I need to spread it round :(

kakkerlak
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
it is always hard for me to post "thank you" so I just rep some back :)

L.o.D.
03-13-2011, 06:54 PM
the thread was called "told you so" I think.
it got removed but oscar can look :)
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710582

the useless things I store in my head.

Not sure if this is the same message you had when you linked, but "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" means that thread has been deleted.

If you get the message that you do not have permission to view said thread, then it has been moved to the hidden forums.

ocarD, Valve even admitted, to my recollection, that THAT particular virus had caused that user's VAC ban and it was reversed.

Silicon Vampire
03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
The threads on all the forums get purged (somer forums more frequently than others) on a fairly regular basis. The threads in question are not immune to this action.

kakkerlak
03-14-2011, 03:48 AM
it is a bit strange the thread is deleted already and many much older threads did not get purged.
but no big deal just a shame those records are lost.

crum3086
03-14-2011, 06:02 AM
They hide almost all evidence of VAC wrongdoing, not a surprise.

Amander
03-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Ways to get a VAC ban
1. Use a cheat or another program which hooks the game
2. Modify core game files
3. Let someone else do either of on your account

All 3 things are easy to avoid.

And should you really ever get a ban due to not-your-fault, it will be lifted.

Verminus
03-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Ways to get a VAC ban
1. Use a cheat or another program which hooks the game
2. Modify core game files
3. Let someone else do either of on your account

All 3 things are easy to avoid.

And should you really ever get a ban due to not-your-fault, it will be lifted.

Note; not-your-fault does not include things that happen on your account after it gets "hacked" and "stolen" account security is your responsibility.

tepescovir
03-14-2011, 06:42 AM
mind you, i had my steam account hijacked but luckily i got it back without any bans on it. But they stole it when my isp was hacked a few years ago, they stole a number of steam accounts by changing the password as they could then intercept peoples mails.
So its possible to do nothing wrong and still possibly get vac banned. unfortuate but true.

Amander
03-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Note; not-your-fault does not include things that happen on your account after it gets "hacked" and "stolen" account security is your responsibility.Of course, if you let anyone else use your account it's your fault. That's my third item.

Verminus
03-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Of course, if you let anyone else use your account it's your fault. That's my third item.

I just emphasising the point as I assume most people who would fall for a phishing scam would also not realise "letting" someone use your account included accidentally giving out your account info.

real4xor
03-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Well, you could install the odd mod that has cheat material included...

Most of the stuff from reliable sources like moddb is all clean tho. Or they give a heads up about the content.

And best is always to check the devs/pubs that totally support mods, they sometimes have a sub-site with 100% clean mods.

Speczi
03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
A bit late, but i found the link to the thread that was called "I told you so..." in google webcacache
Page 1 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:7ADYuBadlhwJ:forums.steampowered.co m/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1710582+steamdforums%22i+told +you&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com)

Amander
03-14-2011, 02:28 PM
A bit late, but i found the link to the thread that was called "I told you so..." in google webcacache
Page 1 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:7ADYuBadlhwJ:forums.steampowered.co m/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1710582+steamdforums%22i+told +you&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com)Still, it's the user's fault. Viruses don't get installed by themselves, the user has to help. He should be happy it was not an account-stealing trojan, the ban won't have been lifted then.

AltimorFP
03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Still, it's the user's fault. Viruses don't get installed by themselves, the user has to help. He should be happy it was not an account-stealing trojan, the ban won't have been lifted then.

Somehow I doubt people would think this if Valve didn't tell them it was their fault.

Epson
03-15-2011, 09:06 AM
this is probably quite obscure, but dont play the hl1 mod, "paranoia". its known to vac ban you. you can get around it obviously, but will you risk it? it sure sounds like a nice mod, but still :(

Amander
03-15-2011, 09:07 AM
this is probably quite obscure, but dont play the hl1 mod, "paranoia". its known to vac ban you. you can get around it obviously, but will you risk it? it sure sounds like a nice mod, but still :(Like I said, you have to do certain actions to get a ban. Just installing a mod won't do it. Trust me, I played this mod by myself, played NS online afterwards and now, years after, still no ban.