PDA

View Full Version : how do you turn off horde/tank music cues in the console

evrymetul
03-14-2011, 04:04 PM
What console commands do I need to do this?

Jeff S.
03-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Not sure what console commands to use but you can do this:

Change:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\music\mob

To:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\music\_mob

and

Change:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\music\tank

To:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\music\_tank

When the game tries to load those sounds it wont be able to since the directory is named differently...there is a few 'music' console commands but theyre vaguely defined.

Luke P
03-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Horde/Tank music cues I believe fall under the music director.

If I remember correctly, "music_manager 0" should do the trick. Note it will also remove things such as the music you hear when you die.

Jeff S.
03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Horde/Tank music cues I believe fall under the music director.

If I remember correctly, "music_manager 0" should do the trick. Note it will also remove things such as the music you hear when you die.

yeah that will remove all music, though, I barely pay attention to the music anyways :D

http://left4dead411.com/l4d_cvar_list.pdf

Go here and search for "Music"...quite a bit of commands come up if youd like to experiment

zorrex
03-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Omfg...you NEED tank music. Why on earth would you ever want to get rid of it?

NabsterHax
03-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Agreed.

Turning off tank music is the fast track to a boot for running straight into him.

Jeff S.
03-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Agreed.

Turning off tank music is the fast track to a boot for running straight into him.

The tank music doesnt start until after he's active, prior to being active the tank has grunt vocals

zorrex
03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
The tank music doesnt start until after he's active, prior to being active the tank has grunt vocals

No grunt vocals in versus.........

Jeff S.
03-15-2011, 06:09 PM
No grunt vocals in versus.........

Im not a big fan of versus so I wouldnt know, and considering the OP didnt specify what gamemode he was going to use the removal of music for, it cant really be automatically assumed it was for versus. :p

Gentle
03-15-2011, 07:17 PM
When I hear music in a game that has no apparent in-game source...

I try to find a way to turn it off or remove it.

I am playing a game, not watching a movie.

Gentle

NabsterHax
03-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Removing music in l4d is silly.

The music is specifically made to act as cues for events in the game and by removing them, you are effectively breaking a big part of the game design.

@Jeff, it can't be automatically be assumed either way, but there is no other cue for a horde than the music, in expert campaign it gives you an essential few seconds to prepare.

@Gentle, you know games aspire to be like interactive movies in nearly every single way?

Ambient music isn't a bad thing, and in a game like L4D, where it actually has a purpose, turning it off isn't going to enhance our experience.

Francis_4_Dead
03-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Sometimes my Tank music fails on me, but I already know that there's a Tank ahead just by these things:

Someone calls out or types Tank
The screen shakes violently
My teammates are running backwards (while shooting/with someone ready-ing their molotov)

Jeff S.
03-16-2011, 09:18 AM
But it does make it more interesting, just like people only using tier 1's, or removing glows, or removing all HUDs so you dont know how much health or ammo you have, its the element of surprise that makes the game fun.

I actually like this suggestion, and Ill be implementing it into my realism gamemode.

Bindal
03-16-2011, 11:05 AM
When I hear music in a game that has no apparent in-game source...

I try to find a way to turn it off or remove it.

I am playing a game, not watching a movie.

Gentle
Well, in case of L4D, you are doing a mix of both: Playing a movie. That's why the music acts the way it does and even got it's on director.

Gentle
03-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Well, in case of L4D, you are doing a mix of both: Playing a movie. That's why the music acts the way it does and even got it's on director.

That's why I played very little of these games.

No easy way to remove music which takes me out of the experience.

Gentle

Jeff S.
03-16-2011, 03:11 PM
That's why I played very little of these games.

No easy way to remove music which takes me out of the experience.

Gentle

Just rename the music folder...poof, all music is gone.

Not that hard really :D