PDA

View Full Version : Can't play game, will not load...

DdraigX
03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't know if I'm the only one having this issue (sure seems like it). To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I pre-ordered Homefront and last night did the pre-load of Homefront. When I attempt to play the game it gives me a Steam - Error. This game is currently unavailable please try again another time.

I've done just about everything I can think of to get this working. I'm running WinXP 64 bit edition, but I don't think that should matter all the other steam games work perfectly and I've never gotten this message before.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled many times, still no go. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the runtimes/physx engine etc. No luck.

Has anyone else come across this issue at all? I'm in the US I don't think it should be a region issue. If it is how do I check I'm in the correct region? My download region is Washington DC.

I'm completely frustrated I've been trying to get this game working all day. I've put tickets with steam but have received absolutely no response. Not even a sorry to hear your problems can we have more info.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ddraig

dracones71
03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi there, im having the exact same issue. I posted a comment asking for help with this same problem, before reading your post about the game. I dont have an idea whats going on, but im pissed. I preloaded last night also.

Raijin-UT
03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Mine is doing this now too... yet worked fine this morning before the patches.

DdraigX
03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Can you answer these two questions..

Do you have WinXP 64bit Pro edition?

Did the game install the Physx engine for you and ask to reboot?

When I attempted to install on my wifes, it said it was done but I had to go back in and verify the files in the cache. After it did that the physx engine started to install. (go figure) Then asked for a reboot.

After reboot it ran fine on my wifes computer which is winxp home 32bit.

Raijin-UT
03-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Win 7 64 bit here...

Physx engine installed without asking to reboot. Maybe I need to play around with the admin to run it on a different Windows settings till it is patched.

1st though I am reDLing it all from steam. I bought it off of Amazon, so I had the 5 gig dl from them, then 2nd part from steam. I will see if dling all from Steam fixes it in about an hour. If not, then I will play around with the admin and see if that does anything.

DdraigX
03-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Oh and another thing, I attempted to sign on to the THQ forums to ask over there, but their forums are borked can't register properly. (what is it about thq websites?)

DdraigX
03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks, your issue sounds slightly different than mine. I've not been able to get the game to run at all. But you said you were able to get it running without issue until an update?

Raijin-UT
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Tons of issues tonight. :/

Hopefully it is fixed soon.

Raijin-UT
03-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks, your issue sounds slightly different than mine. I've not been able to get the game to run at all. But you said you were able to get it running without issue until an update?

Worked fine this morning... About 5 am pst. I played a few games prior to heading into the office, yet when I just got home, got the patched, and now crashes 24/7.

Don't know what if the issue is due to the 64 bit version on Windows or what. Cannot find much info out currently other than a few people stating it's crashing for them on launch too.

DdraigX
03-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Glad I'm not the only one having similar issues. Definitely something odd with 64 bit edition on my system.

I was at the point of buying a new HD to install Win 7 on, but then I was like hold on a minute. Every time I make an impulse buy I get burned. (Homefront being the latest example.)

Raijin-UT
03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Mine worked by following the items listed here...
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793658

hollander208
03-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Mine worked by following the items listed here...
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793658

Great, no one bothered to share the location of that "file". Searched whole computer and can't find it which I believe is created when the game is launched which we can't even get that far. Was going to try it even though it has nothing to do with Steam.
Anyways... Nothing on that thread will help the OP or some others including myself because that thread talks about a Windows error, we have a Steam error. We have the "Steam Error - unavailable" not "Windows Error jiberish".

Raijin-UT
03-15-2011, 10:37 PM
C:\Users\(your computer name)\Documents\My Games\HOMEFRONT\GCGame\Config

Then the {SystemSetting} is about 3/4 the way down.

Steam keeps setting this file to true... so I keep needs to change to false to play the game.

|Wildcat|
03-15-2011, 10:38 PM
You should just uninstall anyway. The game sucks.

ThreeSix
03-15-2011, 10:39 PM
mine now crashes every time i try to join a game, was working fine all day

Alex1981
03-15-2011, 11:02 PM

Steam keeps setting this file to true... so I keep needs to change to false to play the game.

I fixed that by changing all of my settings in-game and setting the variable to False in the .ini. Then I set the file to Read-Only.

Now I don't have to keep changing it, and it doesn't crash all of the time.

hollander208
03-16-2011, 01:19 AM

Yeah that "Homefront" folder isn't made until the game is launched and we can't launch the game because Steam blocks it and that folder is the same location for saves, since Kaos Studios is the main developer for Homefront who also created "Frontlines: Fuel of War" is why I believe that the folder is created on launch also because I don't have the folder.

Our problem simplified:
Steam still thinks Homefront is still locked, unreleased, so we can't launch it. The only thing we can do is have Valve access our accounts to unlock it or for them to release a patch because it's Steam software glitch.

hollander208
03-16-2011, 01:42 AM
If you ARE getting the "Steam unavailable error" when trying to launch Homefront just look at the top of the this page and click the "Support button". I sent one and I'm waiting for a reply so I'll add the steps so you can do so too if you want.

Step:
#1. Click the Support button
#2. Click the large "Game" button
#3. On the right side click the button "Can't find what you need. Click here to contact Steam support"
#4. On the right side you'll see "Category" click the drop down box and select "Steam Questions"
#5. Another box will appear under "Category" select "Game does not launch/Currently unavailable"
#6. Under "Additional Information" and "Product" click the drop down box and select "Homefront"
#7. Enter info where need be in the boxes "Your Question", "Subject" and "Steam Account Name"

DdraigX
03-16-2011, 04:13 AM
If you ARE getting the "Steam unavailable error" when trying to launch Homefront just look at the top of the this page and click the "Support button". I sent one and I'm waiting for a reply so I'll add the steps so you can do so too if you want.

Step:
#3. On the right side click the button "Can't find what you need. Click here to contact Steam support"
#4. On the right side you'll see "Category" click the drop down box and select "Steam Questions"
#5. Another box will appear under "Category" select "Game does not launch/Currently unavailable"
#6. Under "Additional Information" and "Product" click the drop down box and select "Homefront"
#7. Enter info where need be in the boxes "Your Question", "Subject" and "Steam Account Name"

Did that twice yesterday have no response at all.
I'm not having an issue with the game crashing after it loads graphics my issue is the game not loading at all. It really is quite irritating. I thought it was region settings as well but can't understand why that would be the case.

lupinmodz
03-16-2011, 04:15 AM
it wouldnt start for me either untill i kicked my pc then it started working but then my foot hurt :(

hollander208
03-16-2011, 04:36 AM
I live in the US so region wouldn't be an issue for me, I've tried changing it to see if it did anything but it didn't. Well I submitted the issue to Steam so if they reply or my game FINALY launches I'll let you know. It WOULD be nice if they said that they know about it and are working on a fix but they haven't.

GravityDump
03-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Same exact issue as OP. After reading the forums trying to find a solution for 2 days now, im not sure I want to find a fix. Refund plz...

Mr. X
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Step:

Exactly this is why every game should be released simultaneously. I don't understand this whole region by region release anyway.

Still, it won't let me play it either. Setting the location of the cloud server doesn't work aswell... coincidentally created a topic for this issue specific.

Steam can be great at times but when it sucks, it sucks big time! I'm in the EU and it is released. Holding the DVD I legally purchased in my hands right now. Not to early, not to late. I want to enjoy something I paid for. But Steam deems this impossible. I'm really, really, really, really jarateed. :o

DdraigX
03-16-2011, 06:13 PM
This is really starting to irritate me. I have no idea why I can't load this game, Steam won't respond. Is there anyway to get a hold of them to actually do something about this? I'm extremely disappointed, I would rather have this working but definitely a refund is in order.

lupinmodz
03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
This is really starting to irritate me. I have no idea why I can't load this game, Steam won't respond. Is there anyway to get a hold of them to actually do something about this? I'm extremely disappointed, I would rather have this working but definitely a refund is in order.

i wouldnt try 2 get a hold of steam but call THQ thier number in my homefront manuel is (818) 880 0456 thats the customer support number open mon-fri 9am to 5pm pacific but they are closed right now and if u have ur manuel make sure 2 find ur product code on the last page of ur manuel at the top

DdraigX
03-16-2011, 06:25 PM
i wouldnt try 2 get a hold of steam but call THQ thier number in my homefront manuel is (818) 880 0456 thats the customer support number open mon-fri 9am to 5pm pacific but they are closed right now and if u have ur manuel make sure 2 find ur product code on the last page of ur manuel at the top

Thanks, Unfortunately I've pre-ordered this through steam and did not get any kind of product manual or code. Probably the last time I purchase something like this through steam.

DdraigX
03-17-2011, 12:40 PM
If you're having this issue please post here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21309796#post21309796