PDA

View Full Version : Casey, the kid who stood up to a bully

Necross
03-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure if anyone's made a topic about this, or if it's even allowed, but mods, if you think that this is an inappropriate thread, feel free to lock it.

Okay, since this is the internet, I'm sure everyone knows about this already, this (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/bullied-boy-at-chifley-college-dunheved-campus-suspended-after-fighting-back/story-e6freuzi-1226022076411) can fill you in a bit. Basically, a kid is being picked on by another (much smaller) kid, while the smaller kid's friends are filming him. After Casey, the kid getting picked on, takes several punches, he retaliates by throwing the bully to the ground. Casey got suspended for four days, and the bully got suspended for twenty two days* (and a fractured leg).

I'm just curious on what your opinions on this are. Do you think Casey was in the right by fighting back?

* The article says four, but I'm hearing it's now twenty two. I'll edit the figure with more definitive information when I get it.

Isy
03-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Of course he's right in defending himself. He should've done that after the first punch was thrown. Hardly a hero though for kicking that skinny kid's ♥♥♥.

freeloader105
03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't think he's a hero, but I think his actions were justified. Still, you know that the little kid's legs are probably broken now.

bluz74
03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Holy cow. That made me....holy....I hadn't heard this story before.

I mean, yeah he absolutely has the right to fight back. And I'm positive he didn't mean to fracture the other kids leg. But man....

It's disheartening to see young kids act that violent though. I don't like this topic. :(

Slappy Jay
03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
In my opinion, Casey shouldn't have had to get suspended. He was defending himself.
A similar situation happened with me, although it wasn't nearly as epic as this one, I had defended myself and dislocated the chick's shoulder, we were both taken to the office and the rent a cop was called in, parents were called in and I was let go for self defense reasons. Things weren't nearly as harsh as this situation though, but I have heard Casey may be charged or something for hurting the kid.
Then again the little shrimp shouldn't have egged it on. Bastard got what he deserved.

GirlPower23
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Looks like David and Goliath, but David lost this time. :p

bluz74
03-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Casey: "Please don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry."

Isy
03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
And there's the first remix. (http://kotaku.com/#!5782603/casey-the-bully+breaking-zangief-kid-gets-the-street-fighter-remix-he-deserves)

stillmatic07
03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
See, trolling on the internet is nothing like trolling in real life. Take notes kids.

GirlPower23
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
And there's the first remix. (http://kotaku.com/#!5782603/casey-the-bully+breaking-zangief-kid-gets-the-street-fighter-remix-he-deserves)

LOL I laughed.

Baron_Fel
03-16-2011, 11:20 AM
lmao its not a good idea to make fun of someone that much bigger than you. And its borderline ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ to hit them.

Modiga-Disabled
03-16-2011, 11:20 AM
There's fighting back and there's picking someone up and slamming them into the ground. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that that sort of drop could have caused something serious like a spinal injury or head injury.

Suspension seems pretty justified to me.

BS_1
03-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Kid deserved it. Good thing it was on video, I'm sure the little kid wouldn't have gotten in trouble otherwise.

bluz74
03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Kid deserved it. Good thing it was on video, I'm sure the little kid wouldn't have gotten in trouble otherwise.

Exactly.

I showed this video to 5 different parents of young children. They all said the exact same thing. That if Casey was their kid and they had that video, they would be fighting his suspension.

03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
I heard this kid got 4 days of suspension.

Well, at least 4 days of suspension is better than a lifetime of getting bullied.

AsheMan
03-16-2011, 11:26 AM
One day, when I was about 7, I was playing in an arcade while my dad was bowling in his league. A kid walked up to me and started messing with my controls as I was playing Star Wars. He was pestering me to get off the game and eventually slapped me in the face. I was shocked and didn't know what to do. I went back to my dad and told him what happened. He asked if I had hit him back. I said no. He advised me to go back there and hit that kid. I went back to the machine and punched the kid in the face. He ran off crying and I learned a valuable lesson; Stick up for yourself when someone is bullying you.

The school district is likely required to suspend anyone involved in a fight (zero tolerance policy), but that kid did the right thing by defending himself and I'm sure his dad is proud.

real4xor
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Kids these days...
They never learn unless you smack them on the floor.

And even then it`s questionable if they get the hint.

crunchyfrog555
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
There's fighting back and there's picking someone up and slamming them into the ground. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that that sort of drop could have caused something serious like a spinal injury or head injury.

Indeed, as our UK legal system terms it "reasonable force".

Achillies
03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
And here's (http://vimeo.com/21020148) the Team Fortress 2 edition.

supernaut
03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I was bullied at school, the shy and skinny fellow that I was. Casey had the balls and the body mass to do what was right, ♥♥♥♥ that kid up.

~~ArdEnuff~~
03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Too much WWE on TV clearly.

GirlPower23
03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
And here's (http://vimeo.com/21020148) the Team Fortress 2 edition.

LOLOLOL Internet Celebrity is born today.

MrCrabs
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
should of stamped on his head also

Pebr
03-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I see 2 scenarios with this:

Casey stands up for himself, teaches the bully a lesson, never gets bullied again, and earns respect from his peers = Both suspended.

Casey does "the right thing", goes to the headteacher and claims bullying, kid gets letter written to parents, Casey continues to be bullied with greater intensity = No-one suspended.

Modiga-Disabled
03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
should of stamped on his head also

You're barbaric.

bluz74
I blame video games.

Super Fun
Walk away like a man. Only fools resort to violence. Casey is a fool.

Matthew94
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Suspension was not justified, he was bullied his whole life for goodness sake, the boy should have started stomping the kids face into the floor and not stopped.

Totally wrong, he was surrounded. They would have just followed him and then kept abusing him.

General Frags
I heard the kid dislocated his knee cos of this any truth to it?

Also has anyone got a transcript of whats being said its pretty hard to make out what the bully says.

Baron_Fel

If it was just insults or even minor physical harassment I would agree, but the kid was legit punching him. Its past the point of walking away there imo.

supernaut
03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
His reaction was uncontrolled, if you've been bullied you know the feeling, provided you've fought back. They keep pushing and pushing, so you either submit and take the humiliation or you retaliate in a very passionate manner. It's a big moment for a kid.

crunchyfrog555
03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
I would estimate the real issue here are not the suspensions (no harm's going to come from short suspensions), but regard to the homes.

If the bullying kid got home, and Mum/Dad went and complained "look at my poor baby" (or somesuch) as some parents do, blithely unappreciative that their child CAUSED the issue, then that kid is likely to come back pretty smug and continue bullying. If he got home, and once the real story came out, he got punished accordingly, then maybe not.

I wonder which scenario it is?

Soldierman1945
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
The kid got what he deserved. He was being a punk and got his posterior handed to him on a silver platter. While a body slam might be a little excessive, I believe that that there won't be many people that will mess with him.

Dirtman73
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM

That kind of attitude only gives bullies an excuse to keep bullying. If school administrations were willing to do something about bullying as a nationwide problem, your view would certainly hold water.

That little punk got everything he deserved. He's lucky Casey didn't stomp on his head and do more damage.

Super Fun
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
If it was just insults or even minor physical harassment I would agree, but the kid was legit punching him. Its past the point of walking away there imo.

Truth be told I didn't watch the video. If someone punches you, you kick their ♥♥♥ for sure.

Kiya
His reaction was uncontrolled, if you've been bullied you know the feeling, provided you've fought back. They keep pushing and pushing, so you either submit and take the humiliation or you retaliate in a very passionate manner. It's a big moment for a kid.

I totally agree - to me that was obviously the response of someone who had just plain had enough and snapped, it makes me wonder how many weeks the following, teasing, insulting and punching had been going on for before that incident got caught on camera.

Amy
WoW Casey have soul! (yeah another sad meme)

Can't imagine if it was Johan hegg instead of Casey Lmao.

The little kid deserve it, the suspension and even the broken leg IMO.

The 4 days suspension for Casey is good too, not for punish him but for helping him to relax a little, and to avoid beeing annoyed by others because of that.

Exit_
03-16-2011, 11:53 AM
That video is awesome. Casey deserves all the best.

Modiga-Disabled
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Suspension was not justified, he was bullied his whole life for goodness sake, the boy should have started stomping the kids face into the floor and not stopped.

Two wrongs making a right is logical fallacy. Whilst responding to someone hitting you by fighting back might be justifiable as a means of protecting yourself from an unprovoked attack, there are limits. I'm inclined to think slamming someone into the ground is one limit, due to the uncertainty of the amount of harm this may produce. Kicking someone's face in, as you suggest, is undoubtedly way beyond this limit. When you reach the point that you're fighting someone incapable of fighting back, you are doing exactly what you were decrying them for doing; attacking someone without fear of reprisal.

Jderz
03-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Casey did what needed to be done. If he went running to the principle it would have just perpetuated the bullying. He clearly didn't want to fight and he let the kid get a few punches in with warnings before he let er rip. True, he could have "moderated" his aggression, but ffs people we are talking about a little kid here - not some seasoned street brawler. Get real - he was mad and upset and didn't know what else to do.

At that age I was the bigger kid too, so I know exactly where he is coming from. Except when I was going to school the administration knew what was up. I didn't get suspended for dishing out any black eyes when witnesses were involved, and guess what? The bullying stopped and everyone eventually grew up.

crunchyfrog555
03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Two wrongs making a right is logical fallacy. Whilst responding to someone hitting you by fighting back might be justifiable as a means of protecting yourself from an unprovoked attack, there are limits. I'm inclined to think slamming someone into the ground is one limit, due to the uncertainty of the amount of harm this may produce. Kicking someone's face in, as you suggest, is undoubtedly way beyond this limit. When you reach the point that you're fighting someone incapable of fighting back, you are doing exactly what you were decrying them for doing; attacking someone without fear of reprisal.

Absolutely, as far as here in England, should such a case be tested in court, those kind of tactics will end up with a sentence.

Once again, "reasonable force" is precisely that - force required to defend yourself and get yourself out of the situation.

I do understand that these are kids though, and the guy's bullying may have been persistent over a considerable period. The bullied kid acted emotionally, and to his credit did it just once, then walked away.

Stomping on someone's head and going that far makes you no different to the bully. Yes, that's my opinion, and thankfully that reflects our laws.

PowerfulGiraffe
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Really, I'd sue the school if they tried to suspend me for self defense. Killing is wrong, and violence is a problem, but I also think that some things are taken to ridiculous extremes. Back a long time ago, people fought often, schoolyard fights, or in the schoolhouse. The school master would punish them, usually in the form of a good smack on the hand, or whatever other body part was available, with a switch or belt. Fighting was more of an everyday thing, they were tough, but were doing it as a sort of competition or way to sort things out. I'm not trying to say that it should be like that now, but I'd honestly welcome someone coming up to me and punching me in the nose. It'd build character and remind me that ♥♥♥♥ ain't easy. Disputes should never be sorted out with violence, but this wasn't like some argument that escalated, it was a dumbass picking on some other kid. He needed to be taught a lesson, and school's have already proven that they are unable to handle bullying, they simply don't help in anyway, this kid would have never learned otherwise. Some people need a good slam or two, it's the only way they'll feel where you're coming from. Now say it was an adult attacking this kid, that'd be a different matter, but it wasn't, just two kids one a little wiser than the other. He'd of done good to turn the other cheek, not sure how bad the punches were, but protecting yourself is a human right, and he played that card in a proper situation for it. Shouldn't be punished at all, kids not a ♥♥♥♥♥, school should be glad they have kids who aren't going to always have to lean on other people for help.

Jinoruizraged
03-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Rename him Ender.

Super Fun
03-16-2011, 12:03 PM
After watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6SbcYTNiI8
I wish he (Casey) would rough him up a bit more.

Then again, I don't really care.

Minago
03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
to be honest i think the person filming should have been the one suspended because ,he was egging the twerp on .

and the other person saying "keep recording !,keep recording!"

to me that sickens me.

far as casey after the first punch from the shrimp ,i think he should have grabbed the kid and put him in a bear hug and whispered look i'm gonna mess you up if you ever do that again.

just because of the size difference,casey was in the wrong.

Cheezburgers
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
The little rat deserved it.

My dad always taught me, from experiance, fight a bully and he will leave you alone because they want victims. Not someone who will stand up for themselves.

And you know what? It worked for me. Pretty sure once that little ♥♥♥♥ recovers from his dislocated knee he wont lay a finger on Casey because he knows he will get destroyed.

Europhoria
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
You must be prepared to incur all the consequences of your provocation regardless of whether they are justified or not. I guess the little ♥♥♥♥ is lucky to escape with just a broken leg give how the older kid could have snapped completely and continued to belt him while incapacitated.

Matthew94
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
far as casey after the first punch from the shrimp ,i think he should have grabbed the kid and broken his neck.

Yeah, I agree.

GirlPower23
03-16-2011, 12:13 PM
far as casey after the first punch from the shrimp ,i think he should have grabbed the kid and put him in a bear hug and whispered look i'm gonna mess you up if you ever do that again.

just because of the size difference,casey was in the wrong.

Didn't he warn the kid he was going to hurt him if he kept hitting him? Obviously bear hug or not the bully wasn't going to stop.

bluz74
03-16-2011, 12:14 PM
I wonder if those two kids are going to play Portal 2 co-op.

Minago
03-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I agree.

oh come on now ,that was like no contest .

one push and that puny kid would have been on his behind.

could you imagine if casey actually tore into that kid?

yeah the shrimp was in the wrong "no doubt" , but i wouldn't call him a bully that's laughable at best it was like barney fife vs andre the giant.

Didn't he warn the kid he was going to hurt him if he kept hitting him? Obviously bear hug or not the bully wasn't going to stop.

there's a difference in saying your gonna do something than actually doing it ,the shrimp didn't feel like casey was gonna do anything hence the egging him on.

it would make the shrimp look big that he was taking on the big guy.

if the shrimp felt the big guy wrap his arms around him and start to crush his rib cage ,with the big guy stating look i can and will mess you up ,it would make him realize oh yeah maybe i shouldn't mess with this guy.

because as you can see casey easily bounced the kid off the sidewalk.

bluz74
03-16-2011, 12:17 PM
yeah the shrimp was in the wrong "no doubt" , but i wouldn't call him a bully that's laughable at best it was like barney fife vs andre the giant.

:confused: He literally punches him in the face twice. :confused:

MrCrabs
03-16-2011, 12:18 PM
You're barbaric.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39131/1298862497843.jpg

Absolutely, as far as here in England, should such a case be tested in court, those kind of tactics will end up with a sentence.

Once again, "reasonable force" is precisely that - force required to defend yourself and get yourself out of the situation.

I do understand that these are kids though, and the guy's bullying may have been persistent over a considerable period. The bullied kid acted emotionally, and to his credit did it just once, then walked away.

Stomping on someone's head and going that far makes you no different to the bully. Yes, that's my opinion, and thankfully that reflects our laws.

LOL you mean laws where you get 40years for attempted murder but 20 years actual murder

the legal system in this country is in a sorry state anyway the police are pretty much a waste of space as is the government themselves

Bloodmoon
"A man's got to know his limitations."

Modiga-Disabled
Yeah, I agree.

You know that would paralyse and/or kill him, right?

PowerfulGiraffe
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
oh come on now ,that was like no contest .

one push and that puny kid would have been on his behind.

could you imagine if casey actually tore into that kid?

yeah the shrimp was in the wrong "no doubt" , but i wouldn't call him a bully that's laughable at best it was like barney fife vs andre the giant.Bully's don't have to be large

it doesn't matter the size difference

bullying is bullying

anelaidlives
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
[url]

LOL you mean laws where you get 40years for attempted murder but 20 years actual murder

the legal system in this country is in a sorry state anyway the police are pretty much a waste of space as is the government themselves

Such broad statements aren't reflective of the nature of the case. A person could be charged for separate crimes and receive a sentance of 40+ for that.

As for the kid, I think he went beyond self-defense.

Cheezburgers
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM

This. The legal system here is just a massive joke. Thanks to us being part of the pathetic EU, we are subject to all these ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ human rights crap meaning criminals get more rights than victims.

Matthew94
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
You know that would paralyse and/or kill him, right?

Yes, the boy should die for this, waste of space.

This. The legal system here is just a massive joke. Thanks to us being part of the pathetic EU, we are subject to all these ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ human rights crap meaning criminals get more rights than victims.

Yeah, there was a story where an old man fought back against a burgler and got put in jail for a few years while the burgler got off scot free becaause he was injured.

Cheezburgers
03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Yeah, there was a story where an old man fought back against a burgler and got put in jail for a few years while the burgler got off scot free becaause he was injured.

Sounds about right. I've read too many stories where criminals have sued because they got hurt while breaking the law and actually been given compensation. Unbelievable. This country :rolleyes:

anelaidlives
03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Such stories are either false or incredibly isolated.

PowerfulGiraffe
There has actually been a few cases where a robber who breaks into a house and injures himself on the coffee table, sues the homeowner and wins. That's why courts need to be fixed, justice system is broken.

Sierra Oscar
Jayses, I nearly got swept away along with the sweeping statements that some members have made in this thread!

There has actually been a few cases where a robber who breaks into a house and injures himself on the coffee table, sues the homeowner and wins. That's why courts need to be fixed, justice system is broken.

Has happened very rarely, but indeed there are some pockets of legislation that need to be re-written.

That does not meant the entire justice system is utter tripe.

GirlPower23
03-16-2011, 12:30 PM

From my understanding in American, if a robber breaks into your home.. You shoot to kill or either face Lawsuit/Jail time.

Cheezburgers
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
From my understanding in American, if a robber breaks into your home.. You shoot to kill or either face Lawsuit/Jail time.

And in the UK, a robber breaks into your home, you beat the crap out of him, then you get arrested, charges pressed against you, and the robber gets compensation.

PowerfulGiraffe
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
From my understanding in American, if a robber breaks into your home.. You shoot to kill or either face Lawsuit/Jail time.Well, I guess those seem to be the only options really, if you shoot them in self defense but they don't die, they'd sue and most likely win. You could try to get them with pepper spray, but if you injure them (or some aspect of your house does) they'll sue and win.

Basically if the thief is unarmed, you are screwed,

MrCrabs
That does not meant the entire justice system is utter tripe.

Unless you got plenty of monies then it seems you can do as you please

at least with huge differences between a normal person and that of someone who is famous and rich

A Guy
Why would a bigger guy let the smaller guy pick on him? :confused:

He should have done that the very first time the little guy punched him.

Maybe he has bad parents who tell him not to fight back no matter what... mine were the same way.

GirlPower23
03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Why would a bigger guy let the smaller guy pick on him? :confused:

He should have done that the very first time the little guy punched him.

Maybe he has bad parents who tell him not to fight back no matter what... mine were the same way.

Not everyone likes confrontation. Just because your a big person doesn't mean you are into violence.