PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 3 -- Where are You? (Part Deux)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

BauerSlyer
08-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Why on Earth are you so obnoxious? I'm genuinely curious. Why the ♥♥♥♥ do you care that he prefers New Vegas? How is that relevant to anything?

He talked down on Halo. That's why.

mimaz98
08-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, sure, OK. You like Halo. Cool. So do I. Does that mean everybody has to? Does that mean everybody can't say a single word against it?

mab
08-21-2011, 09:06 AM
guys that game is name deus ex human revolution is so great i played on my360 lol i finsh this game only 5 hour :> but not all achievements cuz i want only the story
5 hours and you call that a great game? That game is full price, I'd expect at least 8 hours from something that expensive.
Deus Ex has lost its shine a long time ago. Human Revolution can't even compare to the original one, were you had to use stealth and tactics to beat the levels. Human Revolution now features a cover macanic and allowes for head on confrontation, making it basicly a Gears game with a more sophisticated protagonist and RPG-elements for your "automail" or whatever those robot-limbs are called. ...
considering most games SP are about 5 hours long, It wouldn't doubt Deus Ex HR is....... If you rush through it and not pay attention to everything, but that's not really playing the game.

Eidos Montreal have gone on record, several times, saying the amount of content in DXHR lies somewhere around 30 hours. The idea that the game could be completed in 5 hours sounds...implausible.

He talked down on Halo. That's why.

I sense the recurring problem of individuals incapable of separating qualitative analysis of something from personal preferences.

K11
08-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Sooooo..... when are we going to get our pizzas and sodas at Valve's Pizza:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/19/how-many-protestors-would-it-take-to-get-ep-3-news-newell-if-theyd-like-to-come-out-we-could-find-out/

Sounds like a challenge to me...

CrowbarSka
08-21-2011, 10:43 AM
What? Since when do do steam members get mad when others make Gabe is fat/ugly jokes?

I've always found it distasteful to insult one of the most important people in the games industry who is behind some of the greatest, most revolutionary entertainment products of the last 15 years. Just getting a bit sick of it lately.

Sajuukkhar
08-21-2011, 01:51 PM
I sense the recurring problem of individuals incapable of separating qualitative analysis of something from personal preferences.

It is a very rampant problem.

gamesgod92
08-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Halo sucked after the first part.

Yay, I'm part of the "troll-community" now, eh?

DAMANA
08-21-2011, 02:16 PM
lol the game come out in xbox360 check on the torrent :)and also gears of war come out only Jtag man i like my beby cosnloe xbox360 ,, guys yes the game like batman arkham asylum oh and what about half life e3 is there any news about it i still wating for it no far no far the 2012 is coming let`s hope valve coming in E3 and we see some half life e3 and counter strike global offensive :>

david1719713
08-21-2011, 02:44 PM
lol the game come out in xbox360 check on the torrent :)and also gears of war come out only Jtag man i like my beby cosnloe xbox360 ,, guys yes the game like batman arkham asylum oh and what about half life e3 is there any news about it i still wating for it no far no far the 2012 is coming let`s hope valve coming in E3 and we see some half life e3 and counter strike global offensive :>

Please learn English, because I have difficulties understanding your post.

I doubt VALVe will be showing Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 at the next E3. I think we will have to wait a few more years..

getix2142
08-21-2011, 02:47 PM
But New Vegas is good. lol. :D

Indeed it is a good game, just the bugs held it back in reviews. 6/7s? No I believe it deserves a solid 8 or even an 8.5.

Says the person who thinks New Vegas is good?

Can you not just be nice for once?

If you keep acting like a jackass then the good people on these forums will hate you, you will probably be banned at some stage too.

Sajuukkhar
08-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Indeed it is a good game, just the bugs held it back in reviews. 6/7s? No I believe it deserves a solid 8 or even an 8.5.

It is a good thing they, at least on the PC, got rid of 90% of the CTD bugs within the first month.

Bioluminescent
08-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Please learn English, because I have difficulties understanding your post.

I doubt VALVe will be showing Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 at the next E3. I think we will have to wait a few more years..

A few more YEARS!? Sweet merciful crap. I can understand pessimism at this point but that is just ridiculous.

getix2142
08-21-2011, 03:07 PM
It is a good thing they, at least on the PC, got rid of 90% of the CTD bugs within the first month.

I was foolish enough to buy it on the PS3, and I played for 2 days and was level 8 when my saves corrupted...I almost threw the damn game in the microwave. But instead I took it back to the shop and asked to trade it for the PC version, which runs much better. (PS3 can take 2+ minutes to load a small building).

Sajuukkhar
08-21-2011, 03:25 PM
A few more YEARS!? Sweet merciful crap. I can understand pessimism at this point but that is just ridiculous.

Not expecting it to take a few more years?

I can understand optimism but at this point it is just ridiculous!

I was foolish enough to buy it on the PS3, and I played for 2 days and was level 8 when my saves corrupted...I almost threw the damn game in the microwave. But instead I took it back to the shop and asked to trade it for the PC version, which runs much better. (PS3 can take 2+ minutes to load a small building).

Wow PS3 version sucks. According to the forums it's the most broken of the 3.

getix2142
08-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Wow PS3 version sucks. According to the forums it's the most broken of the 3.

Yeah it's common for developers to drop the ball with PS3 ports, by far the worst port I have ever seen on PS3 is Bayonetta, just horrible.

Bioluminescent
08-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Not expecting it to take a few more years?

I can understand optimism but at this point it is just ridiculous!

A nine year development period.

Did I miss something here?

Sajuukkhar
08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
A nine year development period.

Did I miss something here?

Who said it would take 5 more years?

I am expecting 3 more years, and considering HL2 took 6 years to develop a 7 year development cycle for Half Life 3 isn't that far fetched.

mimaz98
08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I think it's far-fetched for anybody to make any reasonable guess.

Sajuukkhar
08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
I think it's far-fetched for anybody to make any reasonable guess.

I don't think anyone think their own, or anyone else, guess is reasonable, I think they think it's just a guess.

Bioluminescent
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM

I am expecting 3 more years, and considering HL2 took 6 years to develop a 7 year development cycle for Half Life 3 isn't that far fetched.

Ah, right. It appears I've lost all sense of time...

Wasn't HL2's sixth year of development the result of a hack/leak? Technically it should have been 5 years.

DirectVic
08-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Wasn't HL2's sixth year of development the result of a hack/leak? Technically it should have been 5 years.

Not really. The leak had little effect on the game's development. Nothing was changed, nothing vanished.

What Gembe leaked was literally what Valve had done, two weeks before their scheduled release on the 30th of September - an unplayable mess. It's incredible that they managed to turn that around in just 12 months.

mimaz98
08-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Vic is correct. The leak had no bearing on Half-Life 2's delay. The game we have now was already well into production.

Bioluminescent
08-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Not really. The leak had little effect on the game's development. Nothing was changed, nothing vanished.

What Gembe leaked was literally what Valve had done, two weeks before their scheduled release on the 30th of September - an unplayable mess. It's incredible that they managed to turn that around in just 12 months.

That IS incredible...and slightly worrying.

DirectVic
08-21-2011, 04:41 PM
It was quite worrying at the time, and it's one of the nastier incidents in Valve's history, but it's all behind us, and I think they handled it pretty well.

BauerSlyer
08-21-2011, 04:51 PM

In 3 years the real aliens could already be here.

mimaz98
08-21-2011, 04:52 PM
It was quite worrying at the time, and it's one of the nastier incidents in Valve's history, but it's all behind us, and I think they handled it pretty well.

Certainly, given the game we got in the end, I think it was all for the best. I suspect we'll again be saying that when the next game comes out.

DAMANA
08-21-2011, 05:35 PM
sorry my bad english cuz im from turkish :>

youknow
08-21-2011, 07:01 PM

You could at least learn proper English before learning English net slang.

Funslinger
08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
You could at least learn proper English before learning English net slang.

You could give the guy a damn break. Would you rather he post in his native language? I'm sure you'd have a much harder time understanding that. Give him credit for trying to communicate in YOUR language.:(

assassinvenice
08-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Yeah it's common for developers to drop the ball with PS3 ports, by far the worst port I have ever seen on PS3 is Bayonetta, just horrible.

Well the Orange Box on the PS3 is horrible because EA ported it. VALVe was just too occupied with their beloved Xbox 360 when in mid 2010, Microsoft refused an offer while Sony did not. The beginning of a brand new partnership between VALVe and Sony.
Portal 2 launched with SteamWorks on the PS3 and future games will be released on Sony's console as well.
Maybe another compilation of games will be made as Episode 3 releases.
BTW, do not underestimate Bayonetta on the PS3, it has slowdowns but i was able to get 100% of Trophies with no problem.
I just fell in love with the Half-Life series and i can't let it go. I really want Episode 3.

Stravagante
08-22-2011, 02:05 AM
You could give the guy a damn break. Would you rather he post in his native language? I'm sure you'd have a much harder time understanding that. Give him credit for trying to communicate in YOUR language.:(

The dude openly admitted to piracy and leeching, I'd say that's not deservent of "a break".lol the game come out in xbox360 check on the torrent (...)

assassinvenice
08-22-2011, 02:06 AM

I hate guys that don't respect others. Nothing gives him the rights to disrespect others. :mad:

assassinvenice
08-22-2011, 02:08 AM
The dude openly admitted to piracy and leeching, I'd say that's not deservent of "a break".

C'mon who didn't ever download a torrent?
Only those who don't use a PC i believe.

surfrock22
08-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Let's change the subject. So -- we are approaching four years since the release of Episode Two. That's pretty unbelievable. Why have we waited this long.. with nothing? How much longer will we have to wait? Obvious questions, but I find it amazing to consider we've not had them answered since their emergence in late 2007. Since then, I've gone through a three year relationship, gotten a new job, bought a new car (it's now payed off), transferred to and graduated from a four year college, and am now looking for long term employment. I am just lost, as a Half-Life fan. It feels like the series has no direction. Maybe sometime, after the end of the world, we will understand why things unfolded the way they have.

Stravagante
08-22-2011, 02:22 AM
C'mon who didn't ever download a torrent?
Only those who don't use a PC i believe.

I'm cool with movies and music, because the anti-piracy measures on those are just ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. But this guy leeches consolegames, which means he had to convert his 360 and HAS to illigily require ALL of his games now.
I'm ok with PC-torrenting, if there is no demo and you want to try the game first. And you buy the retail product once you have decided, that's what I do when I'm really not sure about something. But I stopped if I decided I didn't like it and bought the product if I decided I liked it.

Converting your console just so you can play everything for free is just plain respectless against the developpers and all the hard work they've put into it.

surfrock22
08-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Discussing piracy is against the forum rules. Let's not talk about it.

gamesgod92
08-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Let's rather talk about....

Well,last night I dreamt about E3 2012....

Gabe Newell was suddenly up on the stage.
He was about to announce something.
But then he said "please let me eatthis last cookie before I continue"
He then died of an heart attack.
Then I woke up.

Take it as a sign!

Stravagante
08-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Discussing piracy is against the forum rules. Let's not talk about it.

So is backseet moderating...but ok.;)

BiO_MaN
08-22-2011, 02:39 AM

What? He's just trying to protect you from banning. I suggest you heed his warnings.

surfrock22
08-22-2011, 02:43 AM

It was a suggestion, not a command. I thought I would try to help instead of reporting and/or seeing people banned, since SPUF's policy is quite strict involving the discussion of piracy.

Vladeslav
08-22-2011, 02:57 AM

I hate guys that don't respect others. Nothing gives him the rights to disrespect others. :mad:

Something tells me that this is the same person...

Sajuukkhar
08-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Something tells me that this is the same person...

Everything is a conspiracy huh?

Vladeslav
08-22-2011, 03:18 AM
Everything is a conspiracy huh?

Who knows.

BauerSlyer
08-22-2011, 03:23 AM

Then I woke up.

Take it as a sign!

Making death jokes about a Valve employee isn't against the rules? What?!

BiO_MaN
08-22-2011, 03:41 AM
Making death jokes about a Valve employee isn't against the rules? What?!

Dark humor.

Deal with it :cool:

mimaz98
08-22-2011, 03:50 AM
Maybe sometime, after the end of the world, we will understand why things unfolded the way they have.

That was brilliant.

You're the first person I've seen who's woven that together in such a serious way.

He definitely wasn't backseat moderating.

Mister Brick
08-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Calm down bout the rules guys

getix2142
08-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Then I woke up.

Take it as a sign!

Cruel, but not far fetched.

gamesgod92
08-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Cruel, but not far fetched.

Actually I'm dead serious, the dream was exactly as I described it :D

I also dreamt about how GTA V was revealed and, for whatever reason, the guys presenting it on stage were from Epic Games...

Stravagante
08-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Actually I'm dead serious, the dream was exactly as I described it :D

I also dreamt about how GTA V was revealed and, for whatever reason, the guys presenting it on stage were from Epic Games...

"It doesn't do well to dwell on dreams."
-Dumbledore

assassinvenice
08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm cool with movies and music, because the anti-piracy measures on those are just ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. But this guy leeches consolegames, which means he had to convert his 360 and HAS to illigily require ALL of his games now.
I'm ok with PC-torrenting, if there is no demo and you want to try the game first. And you buy the retail product once you have decided, that's what I do when I'm really not sure about something. But I stopped if I decided I didn't like it and bought the product if I decided I liked it.

Converting your console just so you can play everything for free is just plain respectless against the developpers and all the hard work they've put into it.

Yes, yes, but some other things like mods can't be bought.

Dotard
08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Omg Gabe ! Wheres next Half Life ?!
I will buy ya a giant burger if you will release it in 18 months!

getix2142
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that because Epic games are just a terrible Developer, all their games are the same and look the same and play the same and all suck. I can now imagine a Gta made by them, have demonic architecture and dudes in massive armor carrying big guns driving around in tanks...and everything is grey :eek:

I'd much rather let my favorite developer (rockstar north) work on another masterpiece in my favorite franchise. Vice city was better than San Andreas...deal with it.

This post was powered by, Opinion. Pick up your own today!

Stravagante
08-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Yes, yes, but some other things like mods can't be bought.

You still need the original games for those to work. And aparantly they can be bought. Counter Strike, Team Fortress, those are Source mods and have a pricetag.

gamesgod92
08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Vice city was better than San Andreas...deal with it.

Okay.

Half-Life was better than Half-Life 2.

I love Opinion!

Sajuukkhar
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that because Epic games are just a terrible Developer, all their games are the same and look the same and play the same and all suck.

I would say all their NEW games suck... Gears is just.... ugh terrabad.

However Unreal tournament 1999 was ♥♥♥♥ING AMAZING.

Also rockstar blows IMO. All they can do is take the same copy pasta city move some buildings and a river around then fill the world with such overdone racial stereotypes that the game borders on being just plain racist. GTA games lack any real plot beyond "YO DAWG GET THAT CRACK BROTHA", and running around a low detailed city blowing stuff up is only fun for 2 hours.

Opinion its amazing

gamesgod92
08-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I would say all their NEW games suck... Gears is just.... ugh terrabad.

However Unreal tournament 1999 was ♥♥♥♥ING AMAZING.

Also rockstar blows IMO. All they can do is take the same copy pasta city move some buildings and a river around then fill the world with such overdone racial stereotypes that the game borders on being just plain racist.

Opinion its amazing

They're going back to the PC.

And I've heard some interesting stuff about GTA V. Especially the fact that they will indeed release the game on all platforms simultaneously and that the PC version will feature DX 11 makes me kind of excited.

Sajuukkhar
08-22-2011, 02:09 PM
snip

No game uses DX11 to its fullest, you wanna see what DX11 can do look at Crysis 2 with it on and off, really there ISN'T a difference. DX11 is, as of now, only a marketing tool to get people to buy the game... it doesn't actually IMPROVE anything.

Also GTA is still going to be so near racist its disgusting, and its plots are still gonna be "STEAL CRACK AND RULE THE CITY".

Also Epic can only redeem themselves if they make more bulletstorm like game and less Gears like games, but they wont.

Bioluminescent
08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Looks to me like there is a subtle but perfectly noticeable difference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rPtdnmib8A

I'm sorry but you'd have to be blind not to notice. Or just not particularly skilled at paying attention to detail.

Sajuukkhar
08-22-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm sorry but you'd have to blind not to notice. Or just not particularly skilled at paying attention to detail.

That's DX9 VS. DX11.

Dx10 VS DX 11 isn't that big of a leap.

But still the only reason why you see the difference is because they are standing there looking at it, and most of it is on SMALL things. IF they were PLAYING THE GAME it makes it very less noticeable.

getix2142
08-22-2011, 02:45 PM
To be honest, I play GTA for the freedom, and the detail put in to the world. Vice city Is the only game in the franchise that had a good story. I know it's nothing special compared to other games, but I dunno, I'm just a sucker for the 1980s. The good times.
Gta 4 had a decent story but failed to keep my interest. But I love the idea that the DLC were full games, telling the story from another characters perspective.

GTA is a great franchise, and I will always remember it because it got me into games.

gamesgod92
08-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Sajuukkhar, here (http://www.fastfoodsafari.com/images/trollface_ftw_by_6661_apocalyptik-d3apyms.png)'s something for you.

Sajuukkhar
08-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Sajuukkhar, here (http://www.fastfoodsafari.com/images/trollface_ftw_by_6661_apocalyptik-d3apyms.png)'s something for you.

Having played Crysis 2 at max with both DX10 and DX11 I can say when your moving around and blowing ♥♥♥♥ up it REALLY ISN'T a noticeable difference.

Have you ever wondered why all these DX10 VS DX11 "comparison" videos always have the guy standing still? It is because when you are ACTUALLY PLAYING the game, it really isn't noticeable.

Vladeslav
08-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Hey guys, you can discuss it at least in SP thread, but here it's going far off-topic.

gamesgod92
08-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Hey guys, you can discuss it at least in SP thread, but here it's going far off-topic.

Actually I was referring to Sajuukkhar's comments in general, but nevermind.

So...

Still no sign of Half-Life 3.

:-/

Yort Nerraw
08-22-2011, 03:20 PM

So...

:-/

WAIT, I THINK I SEE EP3!

Oh, wait... no that was just a tumble weed.

Carry on.

EricHVela
08-22-2011, 03:21 PM

So...

:-/I dunno. The comments surrounding the "protest" and the gabeN challenge is more than nothing at all (as little as it may be).

CombineFrieza
08-22-2011, 03:23 PM

I'm sorry but you'd have to be blind not to notice. Or just not particularly skilled at paying attention to detail.

I like what it does to the bricks and the water, it creates a very nice dynamic and 3D-like effect.

I've seen videos on youtube of parallax mapping, dynamic water effects, volumetric lighting, tile physics, water caustics, day/night cycling and others all in Source. That proves the Source engine is capable of some pretty amazing things.

Dota2 is possessively going to have cloth physics, and Source can only add to that. :)

|iG|-Vertigo
08-23-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that because Epic games are just a terrible Developer, all their games are the same and look the same and play the same and all suck.

Oh please. UT3 is an arena-style FPS, Gears is a cover-based third-person actioner. There's a commonality in their look (shared engine and bulky character style) and juvenile story approach (assuming you ever bother with UT3's campaign mode), but aside from that they're very different games.

Epic is a ♥♥♥♥ty developer now, but it's because their current output is just a shadow of what it used to be.
Unreal wasn't really like anything before it; UT was a major evolutionary step in gaming which pioneered or popularised a number of important concepts (and, of course, both were also brilliant games). They supported the latter with several large bundles of free DLC, and at that time Epic was arguably the world's finest shooter developer.

Although I'm not the world's biggest UT2003 fan, '04 is probably the most jaw-droppingly comprehensive shooter package ever released. 121 maps across 11 gametypes; 17 weapons, most of which have alt-fire; 11 vehicles; 88 characters/skins; the series' best single-player campaign (relatively speaking); one of the most elaborate movement systems ever underpinning an FPS. Plus a ♥♥♥♥load of gameplay mutators, and a heavily moddable platform (complete with the industry's best tool set).

Epic may not be on form anymore, but saying they're a terrible developer is rather an ignorant statement. They have the potential still sitting there; most of the principal people behind those games are still with the company.

Bioluminescent
08-23-2011, 03:16 AM
If they would JUST stop making the male characters look so unproportionally fat...

getix2142
08-23-2011, 04:14 AM
I admit that I liked them back around 02-04. But now it seems they're just being lazy and not bothering With their games. I got sick of the ugly grey demonic architecture, the big bulky soldiers, and the ridiculous weaponry.
I will give their games a chance if they ever stop putting out the same style game every few years, they just need to step away from their current style and get to work on an new IP with no demonic crap and huge soldiers. Then I will give them a chance.

I know they have pontential, but ATM they are just sticking to their comfort zone.

Dotard
08-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Discussion! Whats next:

-episode 3 on source
-episode 3 on heavily modified source
-half life 3 on source
-half life 3 on heavily modified source
-half life 3 on a new engine
-both episode 3 and half life 3
-opposing force 2
-no new half life game ever

Vote ! :D

NHEngineer
08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Discussion! Whats next:
#1-episode 3 on source
#2-episode 3 on heavily modified source
#3-half life 3 on source
#4-half life 3 on heavily modified source
#5-half life 3 on a new engine
#6-both episode 3 and half life 3
#7-opposing force 2
#8-no new half life game ever
Vote ! :D

I vote for #6

gamesgod92
08-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Half-Life 3 on a new engine.

(I don't care what they say ATM about using "good old Source".)

CombineFrieza
08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
A heavily modified Source, if IW can trot out an 11 year old Quake 3 engine and get away with it being decent to casuals, then Valve can surely make Source look beautiful to a greater extent.

Vladeslav
08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
It's clear that developing brand new engine isn't easy as it is and takes a lot of endeavor, but Half-Life 3 on the same engine... I don't know, unless it's really modified and have a bunch of improvements, then maybe. Portal 2 may get away with it, but not Half-Life.

getix2142
08-23-2011, 11:34 AM
There are only 3 things that source needs to utilize to bring it to back to the standard of modern engines.

Dynamic lighting/shadows - The ability for more than 1 light source to cast a shadow.

Bump/parallax mapping - just google it, it really makes games look better.

Update/new textures - The old half life textures are getting boring now, they need to update and change textures but keep the the half life art direction.

Dotard
08-23-2011, 11:51 AM
theres much more that Source needs ...

getix2142
08-23-2011, 12:39 PM
theres much more that Source needs ...

No denying that. But those 3 features will make it a true competitor once again.

gamesgod92
08-23-2011, 01:00 PM
No denying that. But those 3 features will make it a true competitor once again.

However, the might as well do a massive update like they did from GoldSrc to Source.

CombineFrieza
08-23-2011, 01:43 PM
There are only 3 things that source needs to utilize to bring it to back to the standard of modern engines.

Dynamic lighting/shadows - The ability for more than 1 light source to cast a shadow.

Bump/parallax mapping - just google it, it really makes games look better.

Update/new textures - The old half life textures are getting boring now, they need to update and change textures but keep the the half life art direction.

I really hope they overhaul the animation system, at times it's quite comical. Especially how NPC's turn around 360 degrees like a computer chair.

It'd be nice too with HL3 implementing a better collision physics between objects (whether it be a dead NPC hitting the ground, props hitting the ground, etc.) and give proper death animations besides the old school rag doll physics.

|iG|-Vertigo
08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
A heavily modified Source, if IW can trot out an 11 year old Quake 3 engine and get away with it being decent to casuals, then Valve can surely make Source look beautiful to a greater extent.

The thing is, once a company develops their own engine, it's very rare for them to start afresh with a clean-sheet bit of tech once the old platform becomes obsolete. Their "new" engine is usually the old one with such a vast ♥♥♥♥load of new features and optimisations that it jumps a generation. IdTech 4 still has underpinnings of the Quake 3 engine, and as far as I know IT5 probably will too.

Valve has been updating Source incrementally (a sound approach given how regularly they release new titles built on it) rather than the single massive splurge every half-decade or so that's favoured by rivals. My guess is that the next Half-Life will coincide with an unusually large Source update, and it'll be a semantics case whether or not the engine will be given a shiny "version 2" designation. Gabe's statements suggest not.

:edit: As for new features, the #1 addition I'd like to see is streamed level loading. Half-Life's all about player immersion, and the loading pauses have always impeded that.
There's also a trick used by the latest engines, I believe related to the aforementioned feature, which allows them to use massively detailed skyboxes. That's always been a bit of a weak spot for Valve, it would be great to see them finally implement seemless vistas.

CombineFrieza
08-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I read somewhere that most engine's still retains the coding from the previous version, like Crytek's engines, ID's engines, DICE's Refractor and Frostbite engine, etc. CoD uses the exact same engine as Quake 3, with each game but they have been changing it over time. Valve did the same with the Quake 2 engine, with HL1/TFC/CS 1.6/DoD

Source uses havok physics, and while over time Source was designed for HL2... it will probably look very different in HL3. Valve may update the animation, physics, lighting, models/textures, shadows, particle effects, liquid, etc. but it's still the same Source, but it'll look completely new I'd imagine. :)

The bloom and HDR may hide parts of the skyboxes, but yeah... I do agree it would be nice to have well detailed skyboxes. But one things for sure, we'll never have moving clouds. But it would be awesome to have day/night cycles!

Ixon
08-23-2011, 05:01 PM
I read somewhere that most engine's still retains the coding from the previous version, like Crytek's engines, ID's engines, DICE's Refractor and Frostbite engine, etc. CoD uses the exact same engine as Quake 3, with each game but they have been changing it over time. Valve did the same with the Quake 2 engine, with HL1/TFC/CS 1.6/DoD

Source uses havok physics, and while over time Source was designed for HL2... it will probably look very different in HL3. Valve may update the animation, physics, lighting, models/textures, shadows, particle effects, liquid, etc. but it's still the same Source, but it'll look completely new I'd imagine. :)

The bloom and HDR may hide parts of the skyboxes, but yeah... I do agree it would be nice to have well detailed skyboxes. But one things for sure, we'll never have moving clouds. But it would be awesome to have day/night cycles!

Half-Life was actually made on improved Quake 1 engine.

BiO_MaN
08-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Half-Life was actually made on improved Quake 1 engine.

And I think you can still find some Quake 1 code in CoD MW3.

Dotard
08-23-2011, 05:42 PM

really ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYiVkHEzThk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Fzj7-0vNQ

|iG|-Vertigo
08-23-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the 'moving clouds' in that Dear Esther vid are just translucent, animated 2D textures. It looks very similar to the clouds in Unreal 1.

Bioluminescent
08-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Well, it works doesn't it?

MissWheets
08-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Then I woke up.

Take it as a sign!
Odd.
I recently had a dream that Ep 3 was actually released, and the entire game consisted of a gunfight inside a furniture store.
I was.....disappointed, to say the least.

|iG|-Vertigo
08-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Well, it works doesn't it?

For an extremely cloudy sky, yes, the scrolling texture does work well. I think what Frieza's referring to, though, are blobs of particles simulating clouds, which would give the designer plenty more scope for how to build their skyboxes.
That's probably possible right now (I'd be surprised if it's never been implemented in anything), but likely it would take up more hardware resources than developers want to spend on a skybox.

gamesgod92
08-24-2011, 04:10 AM
And I think you can still find some Quake 1 code in CoD MW3.

Oh, you :p

But I think that bit is from the Q3 engine, which is...an improved version of Q1..

OK, no reason to defend these guys.

getix2142
08-24-2011, 04:14 AM
I believe valve should start to use cloud based gaming, and stream games like GaiKai.
That way valve can improve upon their games and make them look better. You can still download games straight to your hard drive, but those who don't have the hardware to play, can buy the game and stream it if they have a good enough connection. If you can't play the game straight, or don't have a good enough connection to stream, maybe you should look into upgrading or switch to consoles.

Valve can't keep catering to the low end PCs forever, soon it's going to make their games look terrible compared to the rest of the competition. The way I see it, now is the perfect time to do a major overhaul of source. Cloud gaming is starting to kick off and people have more powerful PCs than a single core pentium 4, DX8 GPU, 512mb RAM nowadays. Valves audience have moved beyond, but valve themselves are still lagging behind.

gamesgod92
08-24-2011, 04:16 AM
Well, I'd rather not have the restriction of only being allowed to play a (SP) game when I am online.
I'm grateful that Steam allows you to play offline, because I often have connection problems.

Interesting idea, overall, but I think the current service of Steam is enough for quite a while.

Ingsoc
08-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Well, I'd rather not have the restriction of only being allowed to play a (SP) game when I am online.
I'm grateful that Steam allows you to play offline, because I often have connection problems.

I'm in the same boat at the moment.

Also, as a pretty loyal customer, I always like to have more flexibility rather than less. Give me more freedom to play how I want, when I want, and you'll keep my loyalty as a paying customer.

NHEngineer
08-24-2011, 07:17 AM

really ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYiVkHEzThk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Fzj7-0vNQ

My favorite Half-Life fantasy [aside from air travel] is trodding through a raging blizzard and, unlike in WOW, actually leaving footprints and loosing health if doing so without suitable clothing.

NHEngineer
08-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Odd.
I recently had a dream that Ep 3 was actually released, and the entire game consisted of a gunfight inside a furniture store.
I was.....disappointed, to say the least.

LOL!

You are quite humorous MissWheets.

gamesgod92
08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm in the same boat at the moment.

Also, as a pretty loyal customer, I always like to have more flexibility rather than less. Give me more freedom to play how I want, when I want, and you'll keep my loyalty as a paying customer.

See, that's the problem with Battlelog in BF3.
I don't want to go too off-topic, but not being able to play offline because you have to open your browser each time to play, no matter if SP, co-op or MP is a ♥♥♥♥ing pain in the ♥♥♥.

@getix, for starters, it would be nice to have x64 support for their next game as well as the Steam client.

BiO_MaN
08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I was thinking, couldn't a mod rename the thread? It's Half-Life 3 now, not Episode 3, as far as I know.

Bioluminescent
08-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Not until Gabe says so.

Vladeslav
08-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I was thinking, couldn't a mod rename the thread? It's Half-Life 3 now, not Episode 3, as far as I know.

It wasn't announced officially, so there is no motivation for it. In a recent interview, Chet was asked whether it's still Episode Three or Half-Life 3, and he replied: "We'll see."

Battlecruiser
08-24-2011, 02:41 PM
"We'll see."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

WHY DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO DODGE THE QUESTION?

Bioluminescent
08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
I think that pretty much confirms a Half-Life 3.

Sajuukkhar
08-24-2011, 02:46 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

WHY DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO DODGE THE QUESTION?

One word: Hype

Winterkid
08-24-2011, 02:59 PM
"We'll see"

Not very friendly an answer.

Sasso
08-24-2011, 03:05 PM
it's Chet.

Vladeslav
08-24-2011, 03:08 PM
They're just not talking about Half-Life at this point.

getix2142
08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
@getix, for starters, it would be nice to have x64 support for their next game as well as the Steam client.

I hear that. IMO all games need to fully utilize x64, and take advantage of 4gb+ RAM. But it will be a while before that happens, I'd say 3-4 years before Microsoft stop making 32bit windows

Sajuukkhar
08-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I hear that. IMO all games need to fully utilize x64, and take advantage of 4gb+ RAM. But it will be a while before that happens, I'd say 3-4 years before Microsoft stop making 32bit windows

That's very optimistic I must say.

Ixon
08-24-2011, 04:25 PM
They're just not talking about Half-Life at this point.

``At this point`` .Quite humorous. The point is like 3 and a half years long?

getix2142
08-24-2011, 04:29 PM
That's very optimistic I must say.

A guy can dream can't he?

The fact is with games like BF3 pushing hardware, and actually using RAM, we will see a increase in games doing the same thing over the next few years. I think BF3 minimum is 3GB and recommended is 4GB+. I think x32 only supports 3.5 or something like that.

Sajuukkhar
08-24-2011, 04:32 PM
A guy can dream can't he?

The fact is with games like BF3 pushing hardware, and actually using RAM, we will see a increase in games doing the same thing over the next few years. I think BF3 minimum is 3GB and recommended is 4GB+. I think x32 only supports 3.5 or something like that.

No offense but DICE isn't known for great optimization.

Soulscare
08-24-2011, 09:08 PM

You mean stop making 32bit all together? I'm all for a 64bit future but some people only need 32bit...

CombineFrieza
08-24-2011, 09:43 PM

I played just fine with an old 9800GTX+ and an old AMD 4x Phenom I Processor when playing BC2, and it ran well enough with most high settings.

I don't think the PC market is what's stopping Valve to push Source to the engine's limitations, its the consoles and its old fashioned hardware. They shouldn't worry about console crowd too much, HL on the consoles never sell particularly well compared to other games.

slipperywhenwet
08-24-2011, 11:45 PM

BF BC2 runs fine for me.

Stravagante
08-25-2011, 03:19 AM
They made a part 2 of Escape From City 17 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4lyUNs7eNhs#!). You know that fan-film.
Just thought I'd share.

Gabe also did an interview with Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-25-valves-gabe-newell-interview) at GamesCom. I think you get mad at him.

Sajuukkhar
08-25-2011, 03:24 AM
They made a part 2 of Escape From City 17 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4lyUNs7eNhs#!). You know that fan-film.
Just thought I'd share.

Gabe also did an interview with Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-25-valves-gabe-newell-interview) at GamesCom. I think you get mad at him.

Both of these things have been posted already.

Vladeslav
08-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Both of these things have been posted already.

Hmm, I haven't saw an interview.

mimaz98
08-25-2011, 03:57 AM
I don't recall the Eurogamer interview.

Battlecruiser
08-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Eurogamer: Are you that guy on the internet?

Gabe Newell: Yeah, I'm that guy on the internet, and the team ignores me as well, god dammit.

I know now. the next HL is beyond Gabe's control.

L_A
08-25-2011, 07:17 AM
From the Eurogamer interview:

There's even a group who want to do Ricochet 2

Guess some of the jokes about Ricochet 2 weren't that far-fatched... or not. :D

mimaz98
08-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Or they're seriously misinterpreting the jokes.

BiO_MaN
08-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Or they're seriously misinterpreting the jokes.

I am quoting this and a year from now when you are playing Ricochet 2, I'm going to spam you with it. :D

jcool190
08-26-2011, 12:19 AM
cOLD but made of pure win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7C_1QfhpMQ&feature=fvwp&NR=1).

Because Escape from city 17 p2 and the no escape portal video probably were already shared, I had to share something!

mimaz98
08-26-2011, 02:14 AM
I am quoting this and a year from now when you are playing Ricochet 2, I'm going to spam you with it. :D

I look forward to it.

getix2142
08-26-2011, 06:50 AM
If Valve do push out Ricochet 2...I will cry.

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Gordon Freeman's time will come.

Have patience.

:)

EricHVela
08-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Gordon Freeman's time will come.

Have patience.

:)They just want to make sure that we survive the Mayan Prophecy first. ;)

(I believe it's not the end of the world but rather like a massive Mayan New Year's. I think it's a good excuse to have a party that makes Times Square look like a simple get-together.)

Mister Brick
08-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Maybe an Orange Box˛. CS:GO, DotA2, HL3 and Ricochet reloaded

BiO_MaN
08-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Maybe an Orange Box˛. CS:GO, DotA2, HL3 and Ricochet reloaded

DoTA 2 does't mesh well in that list.

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 07:46 AM
They just want to make sure that we survive the Mayan Prophecy first. ;)

(I believe it's not the end of the world but rather like a massive Mayan New Year's. I think it's a good excuse to have a party that makes Times Square look like a simple get-together.)

I think the events happening until and during the last month of
2012 are going to change the world, the system, the people.

But that's just a BTW-comment....

Yort Nerraw
08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
I think the events happening until and during the last month of
2012 are going to change the world, the system, the people.

But that's just a BTW-comment....

I think all events that happen always change the world, and people.

Also what system?
THE SYSTEM!?
Or The System?
Perhaps a friendly the system.?

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 08:05 AM
I think all events that happen always change the world, and people.

Also what system?
THE SYSTEM!?
Or The System?
Perhaps a friendly the system.?

I think you know exactly what I mean.

There's no 'friendly system' where I live in the near future, it seems.

Not sure where you're from, but chances are that you know of enough negative factors that are man-made and shouldn't be there.

..Wait, how did I get there?

Damn it, Valve, give us something to talk about!

Yort Nerraw
08-26-2011, 08:23 AM
I think you know exactly what I mean.

There's no 'friendly system' where I live in the near future, it seems.

Not sure where you're from, but chances are that you know of enough negative factors that are man-made and shouldn't be there.

..Wait, how did I get there?

Damn it, Valve, give us something to talk about!

I know I recently was raging about people going off topic, but there is no topic. Valve killed the forums.

Also there are many friendly systems. My car is equipped with a friendly protection system integrated for my safety!

My computer is a friendly system. It only tried to murder me thrice.

I am incredibly paranoid and I think that kind of thing is crazy.
That says a lot.

|iG|-Vertigo
08-26-2011, 09:18 AM
DoTA 2 does't mesh well in that list.

Not that it meshes any better, but I just had this wonderful mental picture of The Black Box: HL3, with TIE Fighter Vs Weird Flying Manta Thing.

I wonder if Nihilanth could teleport a Star Destroyer...

Bioluminescent
08-26-2011, 09:22 AM
They would never release Half-Life 3 as part of another box deal. Episode 3 perhaps...but not a full-blown sequel. That would be better suited to a solitary release.

smash
08-26-2011, 09:55 AM
They would never release Half-Life 3 as part of another box deal. Episode 3 perhaps...but not a full-blown sequel. That would be better suited to a solitary release.

You never know with Valve... They could do a box deal with any games they want.

Dotard
08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Valve are crazy ...
l4d
portal
team fortress 2
l4d2
portal 2
alien swarm
counter strike go
dota 2
counter strike 2 planned
ricochet 2
prospero (lol hope not)
some secret unannounced games

wheres half life !?

surfrock22
08-26-2011, 10:41 AM
You never know with Valve... They could do a box deal with any games they want.

Sure, but I think what Valve has been working on will be enough to make a solid profit by itself. I see it as being much more like a Portal 2 situation, only with more focus on SP, and most likely no multiplayer.

Or WILL there be online play..

getix2142
08-26-2011, 11:06 AM
No, NO, HELL NO! All this talk of ricochet 2 has got to stop, cause if Gabe reads it. You know he will want to make it!

NHEngineer
08-26-2011, 11:21 AM
No, NO, HELL NO! All this talk of ricochet 2 has got to stop, cause if Gabe reads it. You know he will want to make it!

You don't really believe that the Gabe reads any of this do you? Please!

Yort Nerraw
08-26-2011, 11:34 AM
You don't really believe that the Gabe reads any of this do you? Please!

I believe Gabe watches over us all.

Gabe is our shepherd.

He shall lead us to the promise land.

Wait...shepherds slaughter sheep....they raise them specifically for the slaughter.

Suddenly, that line doesn't look to good.

|iG|-Vertigo
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Hmm. We need to talk about TIE Fighter more often then.

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Hmm. We need to talk about TIE Fighter more often then.

Or better yet, Homeworld 3!
(or Battlefront 3 as a SW-game, but I think DICE needs to do a BF 2143 first)

getix2142
08-26-2011, 12:52 PM
but I think DICE needs to do a BF 2143 first)

I couldn't agree more, as you can tell by my name, BF2142 is my favorite and is the best battlefield IMO. Titan mode FTW!

I read somewhere that they're already planning a sequel, quite recently I read it actually.

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I read somewhere that they're already planning a sequel, quite recently I read it actually.

It's going to be an expansion pack for BF3, actually (a big one, I might add).

Sorry for busting those rumours :p

smash
08-26-2011, 01:07 PM
wheres half life !?

It's being worked on, I'm sure. I'm basing this opinion off of Gabe's reaction here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwykfbgyc98#t=12m20s) -- Yes, it's a solid reason haha! Only because he had a similar reaction when he was asked about "Counter-Strike 2", and now we know they're indeed making another CS.

I think it's the next game. I think that Portal 2 was first in line, and now HL. Dota 2 and CS:GO are both inside of Portal 2's bubble.

getix2142
08-26-2011, 01:08 PM
It's going to be an expansion pack for BF3, actually (a big one, I might add).

Sorry for busting those rumours :p

Well hey as long as Titan mode makes a return I'll be extremely happy. It was such an addicting and fun game mode.

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 01:10 PM
It's being worked on, I'm sure. I'm basing this opinion off of Gabe's reaction here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwykfbgyc98#t=12m20s) -- Yes, it's a solid reason haha! Only because he had a similar reaction when he was asked about "Counter-Strike 2", and now we know they're indeed making another CS.

I think it's the next game. I think that Portal 2 was first in line, and now HL.

I watched that a few hours ago. I am confident that soon he will want to talk about Half-Life 3.

Also, it's interesting to see how HL 3 is indeed more relevant than EP3 (which is obvious, but I wanted some kind of confirmation, not just the "no more episodic model").
Well hey as long as Titan mode makes a return I'll be extremely happy. It was such an addicting and fun game mode.

Yes, Titan mode is in. Else it would be worthless to make that EP, wouldn't it? :p

Vladeslav
08-26-2011, 01:22 PM

I think it's the next game. I think that Portal 2 was first in line, and now HL. Dota 2 and CS:GO are both inside of Portal 2's bubble.

More like "not talking about it" with full mouth of Cola. Hehe, just joking, I actually hope and think you're right;).

getix2142
08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Yes, Titan mode is in. Else it would be worthless to make that EP, wouldn't it? :p

YES!!! I'm so happy!! Got to love DICE :P

smash
08-26-2011, 01:54 PM
This is not a DICE thread. :p

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
This is not a DICE thread. :p

But since even Valve is unofficially talking about Half-Life 3, isn't this thread useless?

:p

getix2142
08-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Erm, valve aren't talking about Half life 3. I think. I dunno. Maybe. Well they talk about it. But not to us. Okay they haven't talked about it. Not even thought about it...I'll shut up now.

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Erm, valve aren't talking about Half life 3. I think. I dunno. Maybe. Well they talk about it. But not to us. Okay they haven't talked about it. Not even thought about it...I'll shut up now.

Gabe's said "Nothing to say about Half-Life 3" a couple of times now.
That's what I mean...cause otherwise...I wouldn't be here and instead watch some hyper-analysis of the 8 sec. teaser trailer they released yesterday.

getix2142
08-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Gabe's said "Nothing to say about Half-Life 3" a couple of times now.
That's what I mean...cause otherwise...I wouldn't be here and instead watch some hyper-analysis of the 8 sec. teaser trailer they released yesterday.

When they release the teaser trailer, I will take a whole month off work (not possible being a military man :P), and I will just sit there, and watch it. Over. And over. And over...and ovuh......and o-- sorry I was dreaming about watching the trailer, over. And over...and yeah you see where I'm going with this :p

700th post next, I had better make it a good one :P

CombineFrieza
08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
I blame the console gamers for no Half-Life 3, seeing as Left 4 Dead series and Portal 2 was immensely successful on the consoles. Where as the Half-Life 2 episodes hardly any of the console fanbase gave two ♥♥♥♥s about. It's Valve has been catering to them, to an extent. Half-Life isn't popular with the console fanbase, so Valve see no reason to make Half-Life 3 perhaps? *shrugs*

gamesgod92
08-26-2011, 03:47 PM
I blame the console gamers for no Half-Life 3, seeing as Left 4 Dead series and Portal 2 was immensely successful on the consoles. Where as the Half-Life 2 episodes hardly any of the console fanbase gave two ♥♥♥♥s about. It's Valve has been catering to them, to an extent. Half-Life isn't popular with the console fanbase, so Valve see no reason to make Half-Life 3 perhaps? *shrugs*

Don't blame consoles, blame lazy developers* like Epic and Rockstar Games who have just realized how great and profitable PC gaming can be when putting enough effort into a game and not handling it like a ♥♥♥♥ty port.
Besides, PC gaming is dominant in most part of the world except the US (don't care about Japan, tbh).
It's just that the focus is shifting from AAA games like Civ, HL and Crysis to F2P.

*Not saying Valve would be lazy though...... or are they?

getix2142
08-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Most definitely not the case. Valve can put out anything they want at this point, they are generating enough money from steam. I can guarantee if steam didn't exist, valve would copy other developers and push out sequel after sequel with no innovation and no new IPs.

Give it time, and you will see more Half life. I also believe once we get another half life, there will be shorter development periods between games until they decide to take another break from the series. That is of course if they don't end it all with the next installment.

CombineFrieza
08-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Don't blame consoles, blame lazy developers* like Epic and Rockstar Games who have just realized how great and profitable PC gaming can be when putting enough effort into a game and not handling it like a ♥♥♥♥ty port.
Besides, PC gaming is dominant in most part of the world except the US (don't care about Japan, tbh).
It's just that the focus is shifting from AAA games like Civ, HL and Crysis to F2P.

*Not saying Valve would be lazy though...... or are they?

I don't think any of the GTA IV DLC ever made it to the PC, and I heard the PC version was a crappy console port.

It's scary to think that the most popular PC game right now is Arma, but yeah - F2P with micro transactions seem to be the thing, although BF3 isn't F2P - possible the last non- F2P game?

Mod support are something else that game companies are doing less of, and there is very little upcoming mods for Portal 2 - despite how very mainstream it is.

Most definitely not the case. Valve can put out anything they want at this point, they are generating enough money from steam. I can guarantee if steam didn't exist, valve would copy other developers and push out sequel after sequel with no innovation and no new IPs.

Give it time, and you will see more Half life. I also believe once we get another half life, there will be shorter development periods between games until they decide to take another break from the series. That is of course if they don't end it all with the next installment.

With the 4+ year wait period, the game has got to be amazing when it comes out (graphics, gameplay innovation and story). Like the jump for HL1 to HL2, or HL3 will be best served as legendary vaporware like DNF. :)

gamesgod92
08-27-2011, 03:58 AM
I don't think any of the GTA IV DLC ever made it to the PC,

Both DLCs have been released a long time ago.

mimaz98
08-27-2011, 04:00 AM

Just to note, Portal 2 sold more copies on PC.

BauerSlyer
08-27-2011, 04:15 AM
I think they'll announce it soon. Dota 2 is a very different game and CS is a multiplayer game so announcing HL3 wouldn't hurt their sales.

mimaz98
08-27-2011, 04:19 AM
And the team's got to be working on something, right?

getix2142
08-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Of course they've had someone working on it, it would be stupid if they didn't work it. Valve have had years to think up new fresh ideas that would work with a half life game. They're probably working on it right now. But we need to give them the time to craft a masterpiece, because let's face it, after all this time fans won't settle for anything less than a masterpiece.

Dotard
08-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Is it just me or models and textures in CS:GO are made by schoolgirls ? Even 1.6 has more detailed weapons lol

CombineFrieza
08-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Just to note, Portal 2 sold more copies on PC.

Source?

Of course they've had someone working on it, it would be stupid if they didn't work it. Valve have had years to think up new fresh ideas that would work with a half life game. They're probably working on it right now. But we need to give them the time to craft a masterpiece, because let's face it, after all this time fans won't settle for anything less than a masterpiece.

The fact that an indie game like Dear Esther that uses the Source engine, and no current Source engine can't even equal its visuals... pretty sad. I'd be disappointed if HL3 can't even equal it.

Is it just me or models and textures in CS:GO are made by schoolgirls ? Even 1.6 has more detailed weapons lol

Perhaps the Source engine is becoming dated? Time to upgrade for HL3!

mimaz98
08-27-2011, 02:24 PM
A recent video interview with Gabe from Gamescom. I'm not sure what the link is.

slipperywhenwet
08-27-2011, 02:47 PM

It's just you.

Speaking of graphical upgrades, Source seems to be capable of higher detail human models, which makes me wonder if their will be updated looks to Half Life characters (not drastically changed, just higher res and more detail).

I guess, again, we'll have to wait for the first look trailers and previews when they finally announce HL3.

A recent video interview with Gabe from Gamescom. I'm not sure what the link is.

This one, perhaps? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgIcQSCOVbw)

Ixon
08-27-2011, 03:14 PM

I agree with you, it isn't because of the engine but because of the weapon design itself. In CS 1.6 weapons were very realistic in their appearance. In GO they look a bit bland and uninteresting.

CombineFrieza
08-27-2011, 03:26 PM
It's just you.

Speaking of graphical upgrades, Source seems to be capable of higher detail human models, which makes me wonder if their will be updated looks to Half Life characters (not drastically changed, just higher res and more detail).

I guess, again, we'll have to wait for the first look trailers and previews when they finally announce HL3.

Honestly the graphics look like ♥♥♥♥ in CS: GO. Time to upgrade to a new engine or at least drastly overhaul it like from Quake 2 (could be wrong) to GoldSrc.

I'd be disapointed if the NPC models don't get an overhaul in Half-Life 3, especially after all this time.

Dotard
08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Its not the engine ... im talking about ♥♥♥♥ models, cs:source has better ... these looks like made by my little sister

CombineFrieza
08-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Not just the models, the graphics look as bad as HL: Source. The fire looks like ♥♥♥♥ and the animations looks something out of an ID multiplayer game. That said the game isn't due out till 2012, so there is plenty of time.

slipperywhenwet
08-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Its not the engine ... im talking about ♥♥♥♥ models, cs:source has better ... these looks like made by my little sister

Not just the models, the graphics look as bad as HL: Source. The fire looks like ♥♥♥♥ and the animations looks something out of an ID multiplayer game. That said the game isn't due out till 2012, so there is plenty of time.

You guys are joking, right?

Your honestly comparing Half Life 1 to Global Offensive?

This (http://tftscdn.nexus404.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads2/2011/08/Counterstrike-Global-Offensive-screen.jpg) to this? (http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/280/0000000187.1920x1080.jpg?t=1261097511)

CombineFrieza
08-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Did you see the trailer? It honestly looks like ♥♥♥. In any event, its obvious the game is designed for competitive play, and it's not trying to be an improvement to CS:S, let alone Portal 2 (the latest Source engine game to release).

mab
08-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Did you see the trailer? It honestly looks like ♥♥♥. In any event, its obvious the game is designed for competitive play, and it's not trying to be an improvement to CS:S, let alone Portal 2 (the latest Source engine game to release).

I also suspect it is an experiment in download-only distribution.

CombineFrieza
08-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Quite possible, DICE did the same the same thing with BF1943. Aside from more games experimenting with the F2P concept, this is another idea that has been tested in recent years.

slipperywhenwet
08-28-2011, 01:11 AM

Yes, I did watch the trailer in 1080p (YouTube HD, that is. Steam's install service is giving me an error with the trailer) and it looks like a drastic improvement of Source as a whole.

BiO_MaN
08-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Yes, I did watch the trailer in 1080p (YouTube HD, that is. Steam's install service is giving me an error with the trailer) and it looks like a drastic improvement of Source as a whole.

Those textures... Why? Why must they be so low-res?

getix2142
08-28-2011, 03:08 AM
Erm, the game isn't finished yet. They still have time to improve so let's not jump to conclusions.

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 03:13 AM
Who cares about graphics in a CS game?

getix2142
08-28-2011, 03:21 AM
Who cares about graphics in a CS game?

A great point.

But many console gamers will jump all over the graphics and won't give the game a chance. Dont hate on this post I know many console gamers who are like this, in my experience I find that PC gamers are more open to experimentation with their games. Whereas the console crowd tend to stick to what ever game is popular and over priced.

Mister Brick
08-28-2011, 05:26 AM
A great point.

But many console gamers will jump all over the graphics and won't give the game a chance. Dont hate on this post I know many console gamers who are like this, in my experience I find that PC gamers are more open to experimentation with their games. Whereas the console crowd tend to stick to what ever game is popular and over priced.

I c what u did there.

Ingsoc
08-28-2011, 06:23 AM

That's a pretty unfair point.

I have been a PC gamer for many years (well, PC and console) and I only recently signed up to these forums, which are obviously dominated by PC gamers.

Until I came here, I was not truly aware of the ideological schism between PC and console gamers. What's interesting, though, is that it's a very one-sided schism. That is to say, I have seen a lot of very intolerant and rigidly-ideological PC gamers here. It kind of surprised me at first.

You will find that enthusiast console gamers often don't tend to think in these black and white terms (perhaps between console platforms, but not between PC versus console). They pay little regard to PC gamers, simply because PC gamers don't tend to be on their radar. I think that for many console gamers, it's just about enjoying whatever you're playing. But in elite PC gamer circles, I've noticed a lot of unnecessary venom directed towards console gamers.

I've seen a lot of whining from PC gamers here about absolutely trivial graphics issues (if I hear another impatient tirade against Crysis 2's textures, I might jump out the window). Some of the debates are so anal that they would almost be humorous if they weren't so juvenile.

Suggesting that the console crowd tend to stick to "whatever is popular" and "whatever is over-priced" is a really baseless assertion. The latter comment is completely without merit I think, but the former is no more true of console gamers than of PC gamers.

I wouldn't want to make false generalistions about any large audience, but I have definitely noticed that some "hardcore" PC gamers have tended to be needlessly tribal at times. Sometimes when I see it, it still shocks me a little.

We should all just be out there enjoying whatever games we love to play - it shouldn't be about segretating people into particular groups or classes. That really takes the fun out of gaming.

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Crysis isn't supposed to be a competitive game.
In CS on the other hand it's all about the balance (or at least it was back in the day I played it and it still should be like this nowadays).

But also, we should not forget that realistic/great artistic graphics, physics and sound can be combined with great gameplay.
Good examples are Half-Life 2, Far Cry, World in Conflict and the upcoming Battlefield 3 and TES V: Skyrim.

Ingsoc
08-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Crysis isn't supposed to be a competitive game.

What does being a competitive game have to do with it at all? I'm not sure I understand the connection based on what I just said in my last post.

But also, we should not forget that realistic/great artistic graphics, physics and sound can be combined with great gameplay.
Good examples are Half-Life 2, Far Cry, World in Conflict and the upcoming Battlefield 3 and TES V: Skyrim.

Absolutely. I think we should also remember that games can have graphic design merit even if their textures are not so sharp that you can see them from space.

People absolutely have the right to insist on flawless graphics, but I think they can't have that insistence and then claim that console gamers are somehow shallower in their appreciation of games when it comes to this point.

Bioluminescent
08-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Doesn't money come into this?

Ingsoc
08-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Doesn't money come into this?

In what sense?

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 07:02 AM
What does being a competitive game have to do with it at all? I'm not sure I understand the connection based on what I just said in my last post.

Well, Crysis 2 didn't look any better than the first part on PC (but overall better than most other games out there), and Crysis 1 is a 4 year old game.
Now, many said that CryTek didn't want too concentrate much on graphics this time and vastly improve gameplay.
Let's face it: 4 years after Crysis 1 most of the gamers expected the sequel to look at least as good, but better optimized for PCs.

The problem is: How is the PC supposed to be the best version (quote by Mr.Yerli) if there's no difference at all to the console version apart from adjustable FOV and different controls? The game didn't even have a proper graphics menu to adjust your settings in the beginning.

But that (the 'consolized' menu) was of course not even the point of those who were 'angry'.
Their point was that the game didn't look better on a high-end PC compared to ♥♥♥♥ty 5 year old hardware.
I know that there's different reasons for that, but it's mostly the developers who can make a game look better on PC or just port it from consoles (which is actually impossible since games are made on PCs, right? :p)

Long story short: They just didn't want to wait a few months to get the great visuals that were promised.
However, I can say that Crysis 2 looks absolutely gorgeous and is one of the better games (gameplay-wise)of the first half of 2011.

OK, I have now spent another 10 minutes talking about Crysis on a Half-Life forum.
What the ♥♥♥♥ is wrong with me...

Ingsoc
08-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Long story short: They just didn't want to wait a few months to get the great visuals that were promised.
However, I can say that Crysis 2 looks absolutely gorgeous and is one of the better games (gameplay-wise)of the first half of 2011.

I understand what you've just said and it is something that has been repeated in one way or another ad nauseum around here for a while.

But I don't understand a) what that has to do with it not being a "competitive" game and b) what it has to do with anything I've actually said.

The broader point I was making to getix earlier was just that I don't think it's reasonable to tar a huge group of gamers with one brush. And this absolutely weird anti-console bias I've seen amongst some PC gamers is just bizarre in my opinion. I can't see that it's really based on anything significant, except for a kind of tribalism.

Pointing to a specific game that was a bad port or whatever is all well and good, but that's something you can lay on the developer's shoulders. It bears no relationship whatsoever with the validity of consoles in general, or with the habits of console gamers in general.

I just think that a lot of people throw out these really harsh generalisations at times, without realising that they are often describing themselves rather than anyone else. :)

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 07:38 AM
I understand what you've just said and it is something that has been repeated in one way or another ad nauseum around here for a while.

But I don't understand a) what that has to do with it not being a "competitive" game and b) what it has to do with anything I've actually said.

I meant that people who play CS on a daily (or at least weekly) basis are not going to judge the graphics and care more about the gameplay changes and issues.
Crysis 2 on the other hand was criticised by many PC Gamers because it seemed like a bad port.

You'll never see any real CS player whine about graphics because they just want it to be balanced.

At this point, you might ignore this argument as I think I've lost track ;)

Oh, but I'd like to add, as a life-long PC gamer, to all other PC gamers who act like jerks:

Blame the developers for not optimizing a PC game! Don't just attack the consoles or the console community, because it's not them who made your buggy game.

Ingsoc
08-28-2011, 07:41 AM
This makes more sense to me - I think you make a couple of reasonable points there. I just wish that more "hardcore" PC gamers would act like true gaming enthusiasts and not get so tribal all the time.

Have some rep - I think your distinction between the regular players and the general audience is worthwhile. :)

(Edit: Oh geeze, I must have given you too much rep lately - I can't add any more for you!)

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 07:49 AM
(Edit: Oh geeze, I must have given you too much rep lately - I can't add any more for you!)

Really? Well thanks anyway :p

Actually I started playing on a Nintendo console when I was a kid, but when I discovered all the possibilities that are available on PCs, I switched sides.

I do own a PS2 and I recently bought a PS3, though.

However, I only play the games on PS3 or Wii that are exclusive.

I think many PC gamers are jarateed because the market was literally overflooded with redundant shooters and RPGs like in the early 90's (Doom-Clones, etc.) latey.

See, that's another reason why we need Half-Life 3 in the near future!
No health-regen, no 'infinite'-ammo.
Decent storyline, innovative new ways of engaging enemies (like the Gravity Gun in HL2) and realistic landscapes would be the exacty opposite of most shooters out there.

meimeiriver
08-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Until I came here, I was not truly aware of the ideological schism between PC and console gamers. What's interesting, though, is that it's a very one-sided schism.

And for good reason: PC gaming is feeling all the harmful effects of console gaming -- not vice versa. In a nutshell, console gaming, with its fixed -- and thus almost instantly obsolete -- hardware hampers the development of PC gaming. Video-cards for PCs, roughly spoken, double in performance each year. And yet, because of the console market, game makers don't nearly take as much advantage of said progress. Consoles are like an anker, dragging/slowing down everyone along with them. And this, obviously, because the console market, by far, overshadows the PC game market. So, as a result, DX9 is still the norm (the odd exception notwithstanding); and PC games essentially become low-textured ports of console games (see Portal 2, for example).

Also -- and this is one of my personal gripes -- game developers catering more and more to the console market means games are getting dumbed down -- the grinding of the PC gamers' teeth despite. Again, Portal 2 is a good example. Everything was dumbed down: easier puzzles, no more flinging, many 'X marks the spot' locations, etc. And why? Because Portal 2, unlike the first game, was made with 12-year-old console kiddies in mind, with short attention spans, who rage-quit when they can't solve a puzzle within 5 minutes. 'Thinking with iJustine' I call it.

So, what you may perceive as a mere fanboish 'My platform is better than yours.' rift, in reality is only the result of console gaming hurting PC gaming. In a big way, as the console market is beginning to dwarf the PC gaming market, and soon everything will be 'Portal 2' easy.

So, I hope you can see why console gaming engenders some hostility in the PC gaming world.

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 07:56 AM
And for good reason: PC gaming is feeling all the harmful effects of console gaming . Consoles are like an anker, dragging/slowing down everyone along with them. and PC games essentially become low-textured ports of console games (see Portal 2, for example).

Everything was dumbed down: easier puzzles, no more flinging, many 'X marks the spot' locations, etc. And why? Because Portal 2, unlike the first game, was made with 12-year-old console kiddies in mind, with short attention spans, who rage-quit when they can't solve a puzzle within 5 minutes. 'Thinking with iJustine' I call it.
[...]and soon everything will be 'Portal 2' easy.

So, I hope you can see why console gaming engenders some hostility in the PC gaming world.

Geez.

Considering that everyone who plays on consoles is a kid.
Considering that people like me didn't play countless hours of SOCOM games kicking adult players' asses.
Considering it's not the devs' fault, but the players' that PC games are not being optimised properly.
Considering Portal 2 sucks because it's too "easy" for ultra-mega-hardcore players.
Considering there's no SDK.
Considering that the PC is not the biggest platform worldwide because of consoles, although it is.

I wouldn't want you on any of our Battlefield 3-servers.

meimeiriver
08-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Geez.
I wouldn't want you on any of our Battlefield 3-servers.

Well, fortunately I don't play Batllefield 3. :) But, now that you bring it up, here's another negative effect console gaming has on the PC gaming world: forced co-op mode. Single-player mode is on its way out. Everything has to be 'Facebook' -style shared now, for the youngsters amongst us, with silly hats and items being pushed on you -- no need to mention Portal 2 again, is there? :)

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Facebook style? Where?

Seriously, have you ever seen a 'like this' button in Portal 2 or "Share my Status" in Fallout New Vegas?

Mister Brick
08-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Facebook style? Where?

Seriously, have you ever seen a 'like this' button in Portal 2 or "Share my Status" in Fallout New Vegas?

Chell is now Single.
Adam Jensen poked Chell.

meimeiriver
08-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Facebook style? Where?

There's plenty of sharing status with friends and all going on in co-op; but, much as I love a good detour for a while, let's talk Half Life 2:EP3 again.

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 08:50 AM
There's plenty of sharing status with friends and all going on in co-op

Oh wow, how horrible must that be! :eek:

let's talk Half Life 2:EP3 again.

Sure, now let's talk about a game that we don't know ♥♥♥♥ about after someone's out of arguments.

I'd rather be worried about how franchises like Civ are being re-made and dumbed down for Facebook while the main game is still full of bugs and AI errors instead of how the 50€ game is becoming more 'social'.

meimeiriver
08-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Geez.

Considering that everyone who plays on consoles is a kid.

Reductio ad ridiculum. Not all console players are kiddies; but the general age for console gamers is much lower than that of PC gamers. Eurogamer recently published its annual Gamer Segmentation report. It found that the oldest gamers, with an average age of 42, fit into the avid PC Gamers and Offline PC Gamers categories. The youngest are found at Nintendo (15-25); and an average of ca. 20 for Console gamers in general.

Considering Portal 2 sucks because it's too "easy" for ultra-mega-hardcore players.

Portal 2 sucks? Didn't know that. It's definitely been dumbed down for the console market, though. And I *do* find that to be a disturbing trend.

Considering there's no SDK.

The SDK will definitely save the day (think Portal Pro difficult; there's already a few pretty good community maps out there). Doesn't mean Portal 2 itself wasn't dumbed down for the console market, though.

Sure, now let's talk about a game that we don't know ???? about after someone's out of arguments.

LOL. I can keep up the PC gaming vs. Console gaming argument for quite a while; but this really *is* the thread for Half Life 2:EP3 (one that I just keep subscribed to, hoping to hear the good news one day, despite that people talk about many unrelated subjects).

CombineFrieza
08-28-2011, 10:49 AM

I disagree, the animations, models and textures look stagnantly worse than any Source engine game to date. Especially compared to an indie game like the new Dear Esther.

getix2142
08-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I disagree, the animations, models and textures look stagnantly worse than any Source engine game to date. Especially compared to an indie game like the new Dear Esther.

Its not really all down to valve, another studio, Hidden path. So we don't know who's responsible for what with the game. But if I had to say anything, I'd say Hidden path are making the game, valve ate working on matchmaking and cross platform play.

BiO_MaN
08-28-2011, 01:29 PM

It's a multiplayer game. You can't have it look like Dear Esther and expect everyone to be able to play it.

DirectVic
08-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I disagree, the animations, models and textures look stagnantly worse than any Source engine game to date.

Except that's all subjective, is it not?

The models and textures look great to me, and apart from some mediocre weapon poses and animations (pre-beta, remember), the game looks great.

Graphics were never Counter-Strike's selling point either, so I don't understand why it would even matter if the game didn't hold up to some inane graphical standard.

Especially compared to an indie game like the new Dear Esther.

I don't want the new Counter-Strike to look like Dear Esther. Really, does anyone want that? The game is supposed to be the sequel to one of the most popular online shooters of all time. Why would Valve raise the graphical requirements so high some people couldn't even play the game?

mab
08-28-2011, 01:50 PM
You know, the only game Valve has ever released that set some sort of graphical precedent was Half-Life 2. Every other game they've made just tends to work with the capabilities of their toolset, often lagging behind the cutting edge of the time.

It seems silly to expect a major graphical overhaul of Counter-Strike, or any of their other games, with Half-Life being a possible exception.

L4t3r4lu5
08-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Disclaimer: QQ post.

I look at the title of the thread and I see it's regarding HL2:E3. I come to the most recent posts, and I see that they are discussing other games.

The thought occurs; Does anyone give half a monkey's any more?

I hope it's a really great ending to the series, but I'll be reading the synopsis on Wikipedia I think. If I even remember to check it out.

EDIT: Ohhhhh now I see! Gabe's had the company working on some new models for CS:Source and is going to try and sell it as a new game.

Double-you tee eff.

gamesgod92
08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Disclaimer: QQ post.

I look at the title of the thread and I see it's regarding HL2:E3. I come to the most recent posts, and I see that they are discussing other games.

The thought occurs; Does anyone give half a monkey's any more?

I hope it's a really great ending to the series, but I'll be reading the synopsis on Wikipedia I think. If I even remember to check it out.

EDIT: Ohhhhh now I see! Gabe's had the company working on some new models for CS:Source and is going to try and sell it as a new game.

Double-you tee eff.

Welcome.
Welcome to the Half-Life 2: Episode 3 thread.

You've been chosen to be part of this friendly, yet sometimes highly toxic and agnostic community for various reasons.

Enjoy your stay.

Dotard
08-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Stupid Valve ... too much fame is now on Gabe's brain ... they no longer care about making good games ... their steam milking is enough for them. Wake up Valve, its already almost 2012 so wheres Half Life ?! Oh, I know .... you cant tell because you dont know ... but I know, Gabe ate it

CombineFrieza
08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Except that's all subjective, is it not?

The models and textures look great to me, and apart from some mediocre weapon poses and animations (pre-beta, remember), the game looks great.

Graphics were never Counter-Strike's selling point either, so I don't understand why it would even matter if the game didn't hold up to some inane graphical standard.

I don't want the new Counter-Strike to look like Dear Esther. Really, does anyone want that? The game is supposed to be the sequel to one of the most popular online shooters of all time. Why would Valve raise the graphical requirements so high some people couldn't even play the game?

But if it's a high prices game, is it worth the ♥♥♥♥ graphics?

Kind of like how Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, every Epic and Bungie game in existence... graphics were never their selling point. So basically it's an overpriced DLC of CS:S and not an improvement? Brilliant.

mab
08-28-2011, 04:10 PM
So basically it's an overpriced DLC of CS:S and not an improvement? Brilliant.

So, don't buy it. Unless, of course, it's free.

K11
08-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Some of you were mentioning the Consoles VS PC Debate and i just can't resist to add my 2 cents on the matter :)

It is true that many PCGamers are elitists whinning ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s but that is also true of most the console crowd. Don't believe me? Go open a Gametrailers account and feel the OVERWHELMING IGNORANCE AND INMATURITY in that place, UNMATCHED BY ANY OTHER PLACE. The argument of consoles VS PCs comes from a variety of perceptions that each group has had over the years.

One of the reasons PC Gamers "Whine" so much is because the rules have changed, PC Gamers are used to have control over their products, and the console market has changed that. Examples of that are: Shorter Games, overly Simplified Games due to inadequate controls, DLC in general, Paying for multiplayer, limited graphical capabilities, limited control over the game options (lack of customization), no modding, no mapping, no dedicated servers, no LAN... etc.

Old Gamers in general (but mostly PC GAMERS) are INSANELY surprised when they see that these greedy and shaft in the butt practices are implemented and nobody on the console crowd complains at all. PC Gamers see that as an slippery slope. And unfortunately that is true. Just look all this "No Dedicated Servers" and "Permanent internet connection DRM" crap as an example of that, also Developers that stop developing for PCs because they know the PC Crowd has HIGHER STANDARDS, Read Epic Games Here.

PC Gamers Feel the console market is hurting the PC Market and the blank statements that big shot companies and developers make at least monthly do not help to stop this: Cliffy B. and many others said : "PC Gaming is dead", and Gametrailers.com has dedicated multiple shows to show how inadequate and unconfortable is gaming on a PC. And they show how wise they are saying things like "RTS Games are a turn based multiplayer games..." -Michael Pachter. And who can forget: "The PC Genre..." -Also Michael Pachter... And you have to see how many console gamers believe THIS CRAP. I have heard people say: "The PS3 hardware is stronger than the PC Hardware", that is the most ignorant comment that person has made in his life, and of course i am going to tell him, he is wrong.

So the fact of the matter is that PC Gamers are overly agressive sometimes but that goes both ways for different reasons. I am PC Gamer ONLY myself, i am an old gamer, and if i receive respect i give respect back, and if i give respect i expect to receive it.

The consoles have its advantages and disadvantages but i prefer my PC, and the main reason i prefer my PC it's because the freedom and the open enviroment it offers. And if something tries to take that away from me i WILL get pissed and "Whine".

But to all Respectful and Mature console gamers around we apologize on behalf of our Jerks and we like you.

CombineFrieza
08-28-2011, 05:43 PM
So, don't buy it. Unless, of course, it's free.

I never said I was. Infact, Counter Strike has never fit my play style. I absolutely loathe having to wait a whole round to be able to play, and instead spend most of the round observing the other players.

Ingsoc
08-28-2011, 05:55 PM
And for good reason: PC gaming is feeling all the harmful effects of console gaming -- not vice versa. In a nutshell, console gaming, with its fixed -- and thus almost instantly obsolete -- hardware hampers the development of PC gaming. Video-cards for PCs, roughly spoken, double in performance each year. And yet, because of the console market, game makers don't nearly take as much advantage of said progress. Consoles are like an anker, dragging/slowing down everyone along with them. And this, obviously, because the console market, by far, overshadows the PC game market. So, as a result, DX9 is still the norm (the odd exception notwithstanding); and PC games essentially become low-textured ports of console games (see Portal 2, for example).

I have no dispute with what you're saying here, but this still does not explain the weird generalisations that some make about console players. There is this view that most console players are ignorant children or something, which is simply not the case. Just as with PC games, the console market also has its sophisticated audience (and of course, it has its highly ideological audiences as well).

There are many technical arguments you can make that are pro-console as well, including the fact that having a consistent hardware standard (i.e. as a developer I know that all players on Xbox 360 have essentially the same hardware, which allows me to produce a highly-optimised game and which can help to lower my development costs). It's not all bad news, from that perspective.

Also -- and this is one of my personal gripes -- game developers catering more and more to the console market means games are getting dumbed down -- the grinding of the PC gamers' teeth despite. Again, Portal 2 is a good example. Everything was dumbed down: easier puzzles, no more flinging, many 'X marks the spot' locations, etc. And why? Because Portal 2, unlike the first game, was made with 12-year-old console kiddies in mind, with short attention spans, who rage-quit when they can't solve a puzzle within 5 minutes. 'Thinking with iJustine' I call it.

I don't see any of this as being particularly console-relevant. It makes me wonder if you've actually played some of the more complex, sophisticated console games.

This idea that everything is dumbed down for 12-year-olds is also pretty absurd, I think. The majority of console players are actually over 30. It's just not a reasonable generalisation to make.

I suspect that there is some streamlining that occurs when a game has to be released on many different platforms - and you can debate about the effectiveness of that streamlining - but I think that's another question entirely.

As for Portal 2, it's funny you talk about its ease, because I've heard a lot of people complain that it was more difficult than the original game (I find it slightly easier, but there you go). Horses for courses. :)

So, what you may perceive as a mere fanboish 'My platform is better than yours.' rift, in reality is only the result of console gaming hurting PC gaming. In a big way, as the console market is beginning to dwarf the PC gaming market, and soon everything will be 'Portal 2' easy.

I disagree with this completely. What I'm complaining about is merely fanboish.

I am not complaining about the really good and sophisticated arguments that are sometimes made. What I'm trying to point out though, as well, is that many of these arguments should be aimed at game developers - they should not be used as a way of venomously generalising about an entire audience (an audience which seems to be frequently mis-judged or misunderstood, based on what I've read here).

I can, but I think a lot of the reasons are invalid and juvenile. There are some really great sophisticated discussions taking place, but they tend to get drowned out by the "OMG you idiot console gamers are killing my platform!" rubbish.

And it's more than a bit unfortunate, because I think gamers have enough things that oppose them in outside society (just look at the over-heated ratings and violence in video games debates). The last thing we need to do is establish silly turf wars amongst ourselves. :)

Sasso
08-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Well, fortunately I don't play Batllefield 3. :) But, now that you bring it up, here's another negative effect console gaming has on the PC gaming world: forced co-op mode. Single-player mode is on its way out. Everything has to be 'Facebook' -style shared now, for the youngsters amongst us, with silly hats and items being pushed on you -- no need to mention Portal 2 again, is there? :)

That's not the console's fault its the general progression of society. Go hate at humans instead. (join me! and together we can live in permanent pessimism!)

RAENMAN
08-29-2011, 02:54 AM
An empty pot makes the most noise when struck, lads. Leave it.

On a side note, I've finally gotten over it and I don't care when episode 2 comes out anymore one way or the other.

Battlecruiser
08-29-2011, 03:31 AM
And since when do we participate in this ridiculous discussion about PC vs Consoles?

Any statement that concludes that consoles are dragging down the PC games is boolshet, on the basis that there are plenty of PC games which are developed exclusively for PC only, or are given preferential treatment. I have Witcher 2 in mind for example. Big budget, a beautiful game and we are still showered with support and content as of recent. The game is being planned to be ported over to consoles, but because it appeared on PC first, everything has been done in favour of PC.

Another example of Good game for PC: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Another big game, appeared on all three platforms, but that did not hapmer it in any way, be it in graphics, sound or gameplay.

As much as I'm not a fan of consoles, I do own an Xbox, and I do not shy away from playing it whenever thare is a game worthy of playing it on consoles. I just can't see why people constantly fall into this trap of generalising it to such a extent. There are titles that do follow path of bad PC ports, but engaging and egging this silly conflict on is pointless.

getix2142
08-29-2011, 05:03 AM
An empty pot makes the most noise when struck, lads. Leave it.

On a side note, I've finally gotten over it and I don't care when episode 2 comes out anymore one way or the other.

I don't care when episode 2 CAME out either

Yort Nerraw
08-29-2011, 08:26 AM
And so the HL2 EP2 forums descended into off topic.
Valve had hoped to form he most hardcore dedicated fanbase.
Wait a few years to weed out the infidels.
Valve didn't count on the weeds being stronger than the rest.
Year after year the weeds choked out any sentient life on the forum.
Why stay here?
Why dedicate yourself to a dead franchise?

But the nature of weeds isn't too stop.
With little fresh life the weeds simply turned on each other.
Purge after purge only the strongest survived.
The strongest were no longer weeds they'd become trolls
The trolls with enough sense not to be banned.
The trolls with little enough sense to be reasonable.

And then one day Gabe said it has been long enough.
Let us see our people.
Gabe looked upon us in terror.

He expected beauty
He had expected angels.
He never expected the HL fans to be this

Gabe could not stand the site.
He turned from us.
He looked at his bright faced Valve employees and said.

L4D3

Now Steamcast Podcast seems fitting here.

BiO_MaN
08-29-2011, 09:34 AM

I'm sorry, but where the hell have you been? ;)

gamesgod92
08-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry, but where the hell have you been? ;)

:)

Dotard
08-29-2011, 01:02 PM
The truth theres nothing to discuss ... the only thing we can are 3 concept arts ...

getix2142
08-29-2011, 01:30 PM
The truth theres nothing to discuss ... the only thing we can are 3 concept arts ...

People have been saying that for ages. But yet, we still find something to talk about. Granted the topics you find here are quite often absurd, and quite hilarious (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2086062)

BiO_MaN
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM

The G-man, my friend. We have been discussing him for 7 and counting.

Bioluminescent
08-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Just imagine how this place will explode when Valve finally deliver the goods.

BiO_MaN
08-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Just imagine how this place will explode when Valve finally deliver the goods.

Here's a depiction of what will happen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpQZVQrMKQ&t=2m27s

getix2142
08-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Here's a depiction of what will happen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpQZVQrMKQ&t=2m27s

Clearly you have a time machine :P

Bioluminescent
08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
I have to admit...I laughed XD

CombineFrieza
08-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Why stay here?

Let us see our people.

He expected beauty
He had expected angels.

He turned from us.

L4D3

I lol'ed, +rep.

Ingsoc
08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Why stay here?

Let us see our people.

He expected beauty
He had expected angels.

He turned from us.

L4D3

Haha, speak for yourself! Pretty funny, though. :)

jcool190
08-29-2011, 11:06 PM
So CS:GO, I want to see some game-play footage! No doubt something to look forward to.

But, that isn't even this years full video game reveal they talked about ,for a release in 2014 from the L4D team.

gamesgod92
08-30-2011, 01:05 AM
But, that isn't even this years full video game reveal they talked about ,for a release in 2014 from the L4D team.

What?

And there's plenty of CSGO footage, e.g. from IGN.

Tulio
08-30-2011, 04:51 AM
relevant! (http://i.imgur.com/HNiop.jpg)

gamesgod92
08-30-2011, 05:09 AM

Clearly beacause he has only seen Half-Life 3 and Ricochet 2.

As well as a brand new IP.

Have I mentioned Ricochet 2, by the way?

getix2142
08-30-2011, 07:18 AM

Damn you future Genies!!!!1!!

Dotard
08-30-2011, 08:25 AM
do we already know what those three surprises were all about ?

BiO_MaN
08-30-2011, 08:28 AM

I know mann-co was one of them. But DoTA 2, CS:GO, Steam Games Trading and many more could count as being the other two.

smash
08-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Gabe even said himself that there were a number of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwykfbgyc98#t=11m34s

Ep3 not being released was one of them. Or not one of them. Erm, Gabe doesn't even know. :p

surfrock22
08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I think people tend to take what he said too literally. Like Gabe's said before, he often doesn't even know what Valve has planned.

I don't think there were ever a set amount of surprises or timeframes for anything exact.

For example, I think it's unfair for people to assume things such as "we have x amount of days before we get the final surprise". It's just not realistic.

smash
08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
I think people tend to take what he said too literally. Like Gabe's said before, he often doesn't even know what Valve has planned.

I don't think there were ever a set amount of surprises or timeframes for anything exact.

This is exactly right.

Dotard
08-30-2011, 11:54 AM
but were all 3 already revealed or not ?

getix2142
08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Really? Were back on the subject of surprises again?

Bioluminescent
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
I like noodles.

david1719713
08-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Let's talk about Chihuahua's :D

Just kidding :)

smash
08-30-2011, 01:43 PM
but were all 3 already revealed or not ?

The point of Gabe's comment was that Valve will continue to surprise throughout the year(s). There's been more than 3 surprises this past year.

Mann Co
TF2 F2P
Steam Trading
First Steam + PS3
First cross-platform play for a Valve title
Big picture mode (announcement)
CS:GO
Etc...

Ingsoc
08-30-2011, 05:50 PM

For example, I think it's unfair for people to assume things such as "we have x amount of days before we get the final surprise". It's just not realistic.

+ Rep.

Great point. Hardcore fans can be a huge asset at times, but the downside is that they over-interpret everything ad nauseum. And so we tend to end up with huge discussions that are sort of based on a hearsay of a suggestion of an off-hand comment.

Yort Nerraw
08-30-2011, 06:36 PM

If we can't take what he says literally then there is no point to listen to what he says at all.

"Well, I said we would have this in X amount of days, but I don't. You clearly took me too literally."

Gabe Newell = Construction worker.

Ingsoc
08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
If we can't take what he says literally then there is no point to listen to what he says at all.

"Well, I said we would have this in X amount of days, but I don't. You clearly took me too literally."

Gabe Newell = Construction worker.

I think the problem is just that people pour over his words way too much. They try to glean as many meanings and intentions as possible, whether these are directly implied or not. A good example is the whole "last multiplayer game" issue (which is still widely misunderstood).

Unfortunately some people also don't seem to accept that Gabe Newell is a human being. He will make off-hand comments at times, which people take as gospel.

I would hate for him to be so self-managed that he only ever says "official" stuff, because it would limit his ability to speak as casually as he does.

Yort Nerraw
08-30-2011, 07:05 PM
I think the problem is just that people pour over his words way too much. They try to glean as many meanings and intentions as possible, whether these are directly implied or not. A good example is the whole "last multiplayer game" issue (which is still widely misunderstood).

Unfortunately some people also don't seem to accept that Gabe Newell is a human being. He will make off-hand comments at times, which people take as gospel.

I would hate for him to be so self-managed that he only ever says "official" stuff, because it would limit his ability to speak as casually as he does.
This wasn't some kind of poring over his words, he gave a specific number and a specific time. That isn't some kind of attempted quote mining.

Ingsoc
08-30-2011, 07:09 PM
This wasn't some kind of poring over his words, he gave a specific number and a specific time. That isn't some kind of attempted quote mining.

No, I'm saying that in general, people engage in quote mining.

I have not seen the comment about a specific number and time, but in response to that, I'd just refer to my earlier statement about not wanting Gabe to be too self-managed. I think there's no question that circumstances will change later on, which will make some of his earlier comments seem untruthful or misleading. But, you know, that's just life. It happens. I personally can't be too upset about that.

smash
08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
I guess some people need a refresh on what he said exactly...

Gabe Newell: I’m sure at some point we’re going to do it again, the point is we learned something about that, which is… your point earlier was that we surprise our customers, and there’s a certain amount of entertainment value in that.

But then there’s also a certain amount of fear value in that, because the traditional surprise in the gaming industry is not “Oh, I’m surprised: something good happened!” The traditional surprise is “Oh, I’m surprised: X-Fire just got bought again and went away.” “Oh, I’m surprised because something horrible has happened to a franchise that I’ve been following since I was a little kid.”

PC Gamer: “Oh, I’m surprised: Assassin’s Creed II needs to be online all the time.”

Gabe Newell: Yeah. The average surprise is negative, not positive, and so if we’re going to surprise people we need to be conscious of that fact. Because we’re going to continue to surprise. We have three pretty big surprises in the next twelve months, at least.

PC Gamer: Are these related to specific games?

Gabe Newell: We have three surprises. I’m talking about surprises, not the surprises themselves. But we’re going to do three things that have the potential to… that will be novel. And if we don’t make sure that people understand what we’re doing, they could easily respond in a Left 4 Dead 2 kind of way. Like, “What the hell?” right? And we just need to be good about that.

We also have to be conscious of the fact that there are a lot of different people that we talk to. Like, there’s people who are really close to us and trust us, and there are other people who play our games and that are more sceptical. And you need to make sure you’re talking to both of those groups in clear enough fashion, to make sure that just because one group is happy and on board, it doesn’t mean the other groups are going to be.

Yort, what are you complaining about again? We have been pleasantly surprised more than 3 times this year.