PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 controller?!? WTF

Piraneous
03-18-2011, 03:15 AM
umm.. last time i checked, steam was a PC only program... so why is it when i load up this game, i'm faced with the only control options for it being a Xbox 360? makes controlling the game rather bull♥♥♥♥ since first of all, i have no idea what buttons do what, 2nd of all, for some reason, the view i get is a side on view of the car i'm driving, i can flip the view to see whats behind me, but thats it. kinda hard to race when you cant see where your going...

srsly, what the hell is steam doing putting something that uses frigen console controls?!?!?

Lurpsukka
03-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Well that's probably because the 360 pad is the most used pad on the PC as well these days.

Piraneous
03-18-2011, 03:27 AM
that doesn't help me much. i've managed to install my PS3 controller on my PC, but even that doesn't work. i'm just pissed off that steam would let a game be sold that hasn't had a proper conversion to PC controls!

of course, if there's something i've done wrong and someone can help me fix it, that'd be different...

Piraneous
03-18-2011, 03:28 AM
lol, stupid steam forums, has changed p-i-s-s-e-d off to jarateed off lol

M4nkoRid3r
03-18-2011, 04:50 AM
I think this is a problem on your end. My friends and I can play perfectly fine with "proper conversion to PC controls". You know some pc games can be played with controllers too? -_-

Unplug your controller? If you have a perma side view your right stick is probably borked to the side.

poo
03-18-2011, 04:52 AM
wait,are you saying you can ONLY play with xbox 360 controller and no keyboard?

ozgeek
03-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Did you know gamepads has been available on PCs for PC gaming since the beginning?

Remember Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad?

Anyway, my question is: how the heck can you play racing games with keyboard?

tahrox
03-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Anyway, my question is: how the heck can you play racing games with keyboard?

Failing miserably.

Anyone tried to play with a logitech gamepad? If it works I'm sold.

Piraneous
03-18-2011, 06:26 AM
i've managed to get the controller working about 90% functionality using a 360 emulator for my PS3 controller, i cant reverse like i read in another post. but my problem is, the view is still screwed. i'm permanently in a side view of the car which is totally useless... i thought it might have had smething to do with the controller option locking the view in that mode, but i dunno...

still think its ♥♥♥♥ that the control menu only shows the xbox controller settings and not keyboard layout or anything. pretty poor form for a PC conversion if u ask me...

JeffM4
03-18-2011, 06:56 AM
If the game detects a controller it automatically changes all the UI and menu to controller 'mode'. If you turn the controller off, even mid game, PAM switches to keyboard mode (UI and menu).

We'll see if we can add more controller types in the menu.

Piraneous
03-18-2011, 07:01 AM
i didn't have any controllers attached to the computer when i loaded the game in the first place...

JeffM4
03-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Weird... Let us look into it.

Smeggit
03-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Failing miserably.

Anyone tried to play with a logitech gamepad? If it works I'm sold.

Yep, my old corded logitech dual action works fine. In fact it works better than the 360 because on the 360 the LT button does not reverse but on the Logitech it does (this was my reason for testing the old controller).

monkeystick
03-18-2011, 08:02 AM
The Xbox 360 USB controller for the PC is the best game controller I've ever owned.

DOOMJESUS
03-18-2011, 08:24 AM
umm.. last time i checked, steam was a PC only program... so why is it when i load up this game, i'm faced with the only control options for it being a Xbox 360? makes controlling the game rather bull♥♥♥♥ since first of all, i have no idea what buttons do what, 2nd of all, for some reason, the view i get is a side on view of the car i'm driving, i can flip the view to see whats behind me, but thats it. kinda hard to race when you cant see where your going...

srsly, what the hell is steam doing putting something that uses frigen console controls?!?!?

you should probably try a new keyboard. this game works fine with keyboard and there is no configuration required for it.

there is obviously something strange going on in your particular set-up but all you had to do was ask if anyone else was suffering from this issue, obviously it was not intended for you to only get a side perspective in game. one thing you might try is disconnecting all your usb devices and reboot the pc.

also the xbox 360 controller is a very nice piece of gear, i have no complaints about mine and i was just as surprised as you. in fact, i bought it specifically for playing games on steam. i have not owned a console since the dreamcast.

eagleFMJ
03-18-2011, 10:10 AM
i have no idea what buttons do what, 2nd of all, for some reason, the view i get is a side on view of the car i'm driving, i can flip the view to see whats behind me, but thats it. kinda hard to race when you cant see where your going...

I had the same issue and the developer needs to fix this, I have a Saitek Cyborg and its basically looks like a 360 controller with all the same buttons.

The shoulder axis buttons seem to be bound to 2 actions on both sides,

right shoulder = look right, drive forward
left shoulder = look left, drive back backwards

I tried re-binding my controls in the Saitek software but its won't work right for the shoulder axis buttons.

So, I went to plan B, 360 Controller Emulator :) http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

How to Install:
1. download x360ce.App-2.0.2.96.zip & xinput_r398_x86.zip, unzip to a temp folder

2. place the x360ce.exe, and the xinput1_3.dll inside the game directory that contains the main executable for the game (:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\post apocalyptic mayhem)

3. create a shortcut on desktop for x360ce.exe or just run it from the game directory, it will ask to create a ini file, click yes.

4. the app is pretty self explanatory, look in advanced/device type and select 'gamepad' then on the 'general' tab configure you axis and buttons to your liking. Also enable FF (Force Feedback) works great.

Getting your controller set up the way you want is going to take some trial and error, but be patient and you will succeed. If you need any more help, just post here or send me a PM =)

I use this software in many games, with many different controllers, G940, G25, & of course my Saitek gamepad.

Just to give an example, I use this software in Mafia 2 with G25 to drive the vehicles and it works great, and that's just one game it works for all games, Just Cause 2 for example, that game recognizes only 360 controller and no other but with this emulator I can use any controller I want.

I know, I know, the developers should include this, should include that, blah, blah. But you know what? I am not going to sit here and whine about it and let it spoil my fun, I figure out a way to get things the way I want them, especially controls.

Make the complaints known to the developer and hope they fix it is about all you can do, but if they don't well then do the best you can.

eagle

Sepioth
03-18-2011, 03:51 PM
The Xbox 360 USB controller for the PC is the best game controller I've ever owned.

You should look into the wireless version ... so much better than having a 50foot cord laying around everywhere getting tangled in the wheels of my chair :)

Dr.Stinglock
03-18-2011, 08:24 PM
If the game detects a controller it automatically changes all the UI and menu to controller 'mode'. If you turn the controller off, even mid game, PAM switches to keyboard mode (UI and menu).

We'll see if we can add more controller types in the menu.

I noticed this exactly on win7 x64 with my xbox360 wireless controller.

I failed around with my keyboard for a bit, all the keys were marked as the key on my keyboard and what the press etc, then put some power to my controller and bammo, it changed them over controller keys and i saw red and blues and yellows.

Freaking loveit how my controller just works for games and especially ones like this where they work on the fly ,off the bat and mid game :)

EDIT: +1 to it being the best controller. I mainly dig it due to it being a standard and working with pretty much any and every game.

Rubba Duck
03-20-2011, 05:14 AM
If you're using a PS3 controller, you use it at your own risk.
They aren't officially supported on PCs and don't work without third party drivers. So its natural you're going to run into problems from time to time when using it on the PC.

I used my PS3 controller on my PC for a while, but the little bugs with various games pushed me to get the 360-PC controller. Never had any problems since.

brataccas
03-20-2011, 05:26 AM

same here ;)

a25sockerkng
03-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I've got two things attached to my PC, my joystick (for certain flying games I play) and my keyboard... game loads up as if i've got some kind of controller loaded with XBOX layout displayed...
Game should detect if i'm using my keyboard... or at least ask me and let me pick a keyboard layout...

Maybe i'll invest in an xbox controller in the future.. but for now all I've got to use is the keyboard.

-B.A.Frayd-
03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I've got two things attached to my PC, my joystick (for certain flying games I play) and my keyboard... game loads up as if i've got some kind of controller loaded with XBOX layout displayed...

Your joystick IS a controller. Unplug it and the game will default to keyboard mode.

Sliph
03-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Save yourself ALOT of trouble and just buy a wired 360 controller for pc "ive heard some have problems with the wireless so i avoided it",and problem = solved. I originally bought mine to play blur and have since to regret it. It works with EVERYTHING without even having to do any kind of setup. Playing with a a gamepad is a must for pretty much any racing game if you wanna actually play well.

fisk0
03-22-2011, 11:33 AM
i didn't have any controllers attached to the computer when i loaded the game in the first place...
If you have installed a 360 controller emulator driver that might be causing problems, I suppose the game might be thinking there's a 360 controller connected even though you don't have any controller connected, since it still sees the emulator drivers loaded, and I guess they might not be unloaded when the controller is disconnected the way official or standardized USB drivers would.

tahrox
03-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Yep, my old corded logitech dual action works fine.
Great, mine is a dualaction too (hate the rumble one). Thx for sharing.