PDA

View Full Version : The Beauty of Valve

Coyotez
03-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Click here to watch the video! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvstI0KtzXw)

A collection of Valves more recent cinematic works, collaborated into one beautiful piece to show what kind of master Valve is at making short films. A total of about 4 hours was put into this, and was based off the video "The Beauty of Pixar".
Many people refer to Valve as the "Pixar of games", which certainly makes a lot of sense.

The clips I used can all be found on Valves YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Valve) Channel.

Mostly I used clips relating to Portal 2, since those are their masterpieces as of now. Those, and Meet the Spy.

The music is "Intro" by The XX.

I own absolutely nothing in this video except the editing. Just stuffing that in for copyright reason, just in case someone would want to rip me a new one.

I also realize this video will not get anywhere near the same popularity - but it's worth a shot doing this anyways. Feel free to spread this on every site you frequent.

Here is "The Beauty of Pixar", made by daHiPHoPKiNGz. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwoPtQevOTE)

GirlPower23
03-19-2011, 05:17 PM
I can't believe I'm about to insult Valve. While Valve does make great cinematic, they are hardly on par with the likes of Blizzard. (Don't stab me Valve Employees :P.) I would never call them the "Pixar of games" I'd give that to Blizzard before anyone sorry. Though they do an awesome job, I'm not playing that down at all. I always look forward to every cinematic they give us, they are a smaller company compared to Blizzard so the differences are going to be monumental. So any case I do love what they do.

Coyotez
03-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I can't believe I'm about to insult Valve. While Valve does make great cinematic, they are hardly on par with the likes of Blizzard. (Don't stab me Valve Employees :P.) I would never call them the "Pixar of games" I'd give that to Blizzard before anyone sorry. Though they do an awesome job, I'm not playing that down at all. I always look forward to every cinematic they give us, they are a smaller company compared to Blizzard so the differences are going to be monumental. So any case I do love what they do.

How dare you >:C

With "Pixar of Games" most people mean these cinematic rolls. Not the ingame parts.

GirlPower23
03-19-2011, 05:29 PM
How dare you >:C

With "Pixar of Games" most people mean these cinematic rolls. Not the ingame parts.

Yes I know, Blizzard still does better. Thats just how it works. Feel free to watch all the WoW Cinematics or Starcraft II ones. They are amazing and definitely topple anything Valve does. I would make Valve the second best company at cinematics for games. I love Valve but Blizzard just has more man power to do better cinematics. :p Now if you want to go by artistic approach.. thats subjective.. and I don't know honestly. Valve puts a lot of heart and feeling into them, but so does Blizzard.

ImBack87
03-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Blizzard don't make their cinematics, just so you know.

GirlPower23
03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Blizzard don't make their cinematics, just so you know.

Thats why Blizzard has a dedicated CGI team? The very team that talked about how their current render engine wasn't good enough for the Starcraft Marine cinematic that was released before SCII right?

Sgt.Gotee
03-19-2011, 05:36 PM
The Meet the Team videos are great. When I cared enough to interest others in Team Fortress 2, I would always show them the Meet the Team videos prior. Even people who aren't into the game could enjoy them. Not sure if I enjoy the rest of their cinematics as much. The Portal 2 videos are pretty cool but I'm really waiting for the television ads they're doing - those could be really neat if they're feeling creative.

Blizzard has always had a great cinematic team, though. I still watch the videos in Diablo 2 when I play through.

ThePerson5
03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
The Meet the Team videos are amazing.

ImBack87
03-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Thats why Blizzard has a dedicated CGI team? The very team that talked about how their current render engine wasn't good enough for the Starcraft Marine cinematic that was released before SCII right?

To my knowledge, Blizzard have contracted third party studios, such as Blur, on several occasions. Frankly, their Wrath of the Lich King debut cinematic was much more impressive than the Starcraft Marine trailer.

GirlPower23
03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
To my knowledge, Blizzard have contracted third party studios, such as Blur, on several occasions. Frankly, their Wrath of the Lich King debut cinematic was much more impressive than the Starcraft Marine trailer.

The Wrath cinematic was done in-house and so was the Cataclysm one. I don't know about the first two though, they may have been contracted. I know the SC2 one was done in-house.

stillmatic07
03-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Valve is definitely second to Blizzard, at least.

ImBack87
03-19-2011, 06:16 PM
The Wrath cinematic was done in-house and so was the Cataclysm one. I don't know about the first two though, they may have been contracted. I know the SC2 one was done in-house.

Then I take my words back because those were the ones I had in mind. The Wrath cinematic is by far one of the most epic game trailers in existence.

Coyotez
03-19-2011, 06:18 PM

The intro to SC2 was pretty damn impressive though.

Doesn't beat Valve, though.

Valve is definitely second to Blizzard, at least.

If anything, Valve is on first place - machinima wise.

Yes, I am a Valve fanboi.

Excygy
03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Valve is beast in a domaine, Blizzard is Beast in another don't compare them, both are companeis based of true videogames loves isntead of buisiness man only. But yeah...blizzard do better cinematics.

the best cinematic studio i know is BLUR.

stillmatic07
03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
I mean the cinematic launch trailer to starcraft 2 was AMAZING. That's the only thing turning me away from Valve being absolute number one. (Yes the one that was mashed with my little pony :p)

GirlPower23
03-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Valve is beast in a domaine, Blizzard is Beast in another don't compare them, both are companeis based of true videogames loves isntead of buisiness man only. But yeah...blizzard do better cinematics.

You don't know a special company by the name Pixar? :p Overall Pixar is king, there is no debating this. They have the better resources and technology. But we are specifically talking video game developers that don't contract 3rd parties. :p The fact Pixar doesn't use Mo-cap already makes me respect them more than any CGI Production company in the world.

Coyotez
03-19-2011, 06:52 PM
You don't know a special company by the name Pixar? :p Overall Pixar is king, there is no debating this. They have the better resources and technology. But we are specifically talking video game developers that don't contract 3rd parties. :p The fact Pixar doesn't use Mo-cap already makes me respect them more than any CGI Production company in the world.

To Valves defense, all they use is Maya and Source Filmmaker.
They never contract outside animators.

stillmatic07
03-19-2011, 06:57 PM

/thread.

MagnetiCube
03-19-2011, 07:08 PM

Before the merge with Activi$ion, I would agree with you. But now Blizzard is trying to milk as much money as they possibly can out of the community, like overpricing the thirds of SCII and making us pay for "premium" mods and maps. Oh sure, they said that not even Defense of the Ancients would've been good enough for "premium" status. But, since they merged with the hell spawn Activi$ion, I can guarantee you that the status quo for "premium" mods will be gradually increasing until the only worthwhile mods will be premium.

GirlPower23
03-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Before the merge with Activi$ion, I would agree with you. But now Blizzard is trying to milk as much money as they possibly can out of the community, like overpricing the thirds of SCII and making us pay for "premium" mods and maps. Oh sure, they said that not even Defense of the Ancients would've been good enough for "premium" status. But, since they merged with the hell spawn Activi$ion, I can guarantee you that the status quo for "premium" mods will be gradually increasing until the only worthwhile mods will be premium.

This has nothing to do with cinematics.

You act as if I said Valve was bad at what they do. No, they are amazing at it. They just aren't Blizzard quality which I pointed out why. If Valve had 2000 something employees they could be rolling out some of the greatest cinematics in existence for PC Games. ;)

MagnetiCube
03-19-2011, 07:15 PM

Sorry. I just go into rant-mode when someone mentions how Blizzard does it for the games, not the business.

UberMudkipz
03-19-2011, 07:15 PM

You act as if I said Valve was bad at what they do. No, they are amazing at it. They just aren't Blizzard quality which I pointed out why. If Valve had 2000 something employees they could be rolling out some of the greatest cinematics in existence for PC Games. ;)

If they had 2000 employees, they would be making HL2 the movie, and a TV show based off Team Fortress 2, inbetween releases of HL EP3 with 10x Blizzard quality cinematics.

marie pavie
03-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Click here to watch the video! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvstI0KtzXw)

A cool idea you have here!

Smertnik
03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree, Blizzard's stuff is far more impressive.
I remember how satisfying it was to get to watch the cinematics after completing each campaign in Warcraft 3 (and, on a side note, how disappointing it was to find out that there was none in the end of Frozen Throne..).
Valve's cinematics don't have the same wow effect but I suppose that was never intented.

Coyotez
03-19-2011, 07:39 PM
A cool idea you have here!

Scared
03-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Valve and Blizzard are both amazing in their own way. When comparing them both to Pixar I would go with Valve and their TF2 and Portal cinematics because it just has the pixar feel, being able to add so much emotion and character to something that doesn't look that complex.

Blizzard are king for over the top 'holy ♥♥♥♥ that was awesome and looks amazing', but the characters/stories that Blizzard do are completely different to Pixar works.

notavirus.exe
03-19-2011, 11:29 PM
As much as I love Valve and Blizzard, to me, things out of the Kojima camp are #1 for cinematics.

Resident Evil and Silent hill series were both way ahead of their time as well.

General Balls
03-20-2011, 04:51 AM
I'd be much happier if Blizzard put all that cinematics effort into their games. As it is, I don't see most of them as I lose interest before I'm halfway in.

velvetmeds
03-20-2011, 04:54 AM
If they had 2000 employees, they would be making HL2 the movie, and a TV show based off Team Fortress 2, inbetween releases of HL EP3 with 10x Blizzard quality cinematics.

Not really.

General Balls
03-20-2011, 04:57 AM
Not really.

I have to agree there, if they had 2,000+ employees they'd be taking even longer to get games out. It's a direct correlation, the more they have, the more they think they can do. ;)

GirlPower23
03-20-2011, 06:42 AM
I have to agree there, if they had 2,000+ employees they'd be taking even longer to get games out. It's a direct correlation, the more they have, the more they think they can do. ;)

Size has nothing to do with release date. Blizzard/Acti has like 2k Employees.. yet Blizzard takes a lifetime to release the games. The point of having so many employees is that you can have dedicated things like CGI.. etc etc.

Baron_Fel
03-20-2011, 08:08 AM
the stuff Blur did for SWTOR kicks the crap out of any Blizzard production.