PDA

View Full Version : Walk walking in Portal2 - A Theory

MustardJeep
03-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Okay a bit of a theory here so bear with me.

Portal Physics
1. Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing goes out.
2. Portals can be oriented up/down relative to each other.

Well here's the thing in the power of paint there is a wall walking paint that you can use. The only reason I can think to not include this is that there isn't a way to rotate the portal using the standard keyboard/mouse that is as simple as a strictly vertical portal.

With the hydra however there is a seamless twist of the wrist to fire a horizontal portal instead of a vertical one. Add to that the portals preserving orientation and you can walk in a vertical and out a horizontal (onto the gel) with zero added animation. This is perhaps the easiest hydra specific perk I can think of valve doing.

Thoughts?

igotsthepower
03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Okay a bit of a theory here so bear with me.

Portal Physics
1. Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing goes out.
2. Portals can be oriented up/down relative to each other.

Well here's the thing in the power of paint there is a wall walking paint that you can use. The only reason I can think to not include this is that there isn't a way to rotate the portal using the standard keyboard/mouse that is as simple as a strictly vertical portal.

With the hydra however there is a seamless twist of the wrist to fire a horizontal portal instead of a vertical one. Add to that the portals preserving orientation and you can walk in a vertical and out a horizontal (onto the gel) with zero added animation. This is perhaps the easiest hydra specific perk I can think of valve doing.

Thoughts?

Wait, you're saying because you wouldn't be able to cover an entire wall with it, it'd be hard to use?

That's true. But, I would be more inclined to think that there'd be a new object that was actually dispensing this new paint instead of launching it through Portals.

Being able to change the direction of a portal with the Hydra would kind of break the game...