PDA

View Full Version : Bethany *Obviously a Spoiler*

PsycoApocalipse
03-21-2011, 04:42 PM
So my first play through I took her to the deep roads and she died. If you don't take her does she live through the end or just die later on? I'm going to assume she dies anyway cause she doesn't have her own specific tree like the other characters.

Kailieann
03-21-2011, 04:47 PM
She leaves your party regardless, but she will live if you leave her behind, or if you bring both her and Anders.

icy1007
03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
So my first play through I took her to the deep roads and she died. If you don't take her does she live through the end or just die later on? I'm going to assume she dies anyway cause she doesn't have her own specific tree like the other characters. On my playthrough, I left her behind when going to the Deep Roads and when I got back she was being taken to the Circle by the Templars. She appears on my party member select screen wearing Circle magi clothes, but she is not selectable. I'm guessing she joins me again later.

PsycoApocalipse
03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Interesting, I could see her showing up again later (in DA3) assuming she escapes the templars during the war.

Zechnophobe
03-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Interesting, I could see her showing up again later (in DA3) assuming she escapes the templars during the war.

Honestly, I kinda hope that DA3 doesn't have us playing as Hawke anymore. Maybe an expansion. But either you'll have to get your level reset for a sequel, or some other crazy magic to make character progression work again. And both feel a bit hollow.

PsycoApocalipse
03-21-2011, 07:50 PM
The way I see it, there's going to be yet another reversal in DA3. The hero from origins returns, runs into hawke and co, then it goes nuts from there trying to set the world back in order. Blight, psh, now its mages vs templar wrecking the world.

Then again why would wardens involve themselves in matters unrelated to the blights and darkspawn. As the one warden you run across during the fight with the qunari in the main story line, he clearly states wardens do not get involved with political matters. So I'm really not sure if there was even a point of importing an origins save. I really can not figure out how the characters from both games would mesh in a third other than by happenstance as the ones from origins did in DA2.

Either way, the protagonist will end up being The Hero, or Hawke. Worst case, we get a new protagonist and Hero + Hawke are party members.

Hack Scudder
03-21-2011, 08:50 PM
If you leave her behind, she will not be selectable again until the very last mission in the game, but she does not die.

lyravega
03-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Even if you play with Hawke in DA3, I don't think companions will be the same. Anders, Isabela, Bethany, Carver, etc... Even Varric maybe (idol piece) - they won't be in the sequel, as you choose big stuff for them. Yes, you might be able to see them, but much like Leliana, Zevran or Alistair, just a couple of dialogues, quests and so on, but not as a companion. If they're planning to allow you import your save that is.

Unamedhero
03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Good to read this, i left her behind 1st and only current play, and wonderd what would happen if i took her on the expedition. I like her character, and she is good in fights, but she will stay home & alive all the time :)

kebabsoup
03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Honestly, I kinda hope that DA3 doesn't have us playing as Hawke anymore. Maybe an expansion. But either you'll have to get your level reset for a sequel, or some other crazy magic to make character progression work again. And both feel a bit hollow.

Mhhh I wouldn't worry about that. After the Hero of Ferelden, the Champion of Kirkwall, we'll play as the Juggler of Orlais, or the Cookiemaster of Par Vollen.

Bartrail
03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
So my first play through I took her to the deep roads and she died. If you don't take her does she live through the end or just die later on? I'm going to assume she dies anyway cause she doesn't have her own specific tree like the other characters.

My first playthrough I left her behind and she ended up in the circle.

2nd playthrough, i took her to the deep roads and she was killed, which honestly, i didn't see coming.

3rd playthrough i played hawk as a mage, she was killed at the begining and i ended up with carver (as a warrior), I didn't take him to the deep roads so the whiney little butt ran off an joined the templars, even though there was a very nice circus in town..

kebabsoup
03-26-2011, 02:03 AM

2nd playthrough, i took her to the deep roads and she was killed, which honestly, i didn't see coming.

3rd playthrough i played hawk as a mage, she was killed at the begining and i ended up with carver (as a warrior), I didn't take him to the deep roads so the whiney little butt ran off an joined the templars, even though there was a very nice circus in town..

wow you really played through the game 3 times? you're mentally resilient, I'm impressed.

vashts1985
03-26-2011, 02:15 AM

i mage'ed second run and did the same. i assume if you bring him with he will die as well.

pocketnunu
03-26-2011, 07:02 PM
1. If you leave Bethany home, the Circle takes her away as you arrive home from the Deep Roads. 2. If you take Bethany without taking Anders as well, Bethany dies. 3. If you take both Bethany AND Anders, he will lead you to a group of Wardens in the Deep Roads who agree to recruit her. Bethany will then appear in the "gather your party" screen but will be grayed out, unselectable. Do 1 and 3, Bethany lives and rejoins you in the final battle.

iTimmeh
03-27-2011, 08:28 AM
This really annoyed me, it's just such a superficial and shallow choice. You get 3 options but they all result in the same outcome: Bethany leaves your party. The outcome from leaving her at home doesn't even make sense. Poor writing all around.

neobunny
03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Bringing Bethany/Carver into the deep roads along with Anders is my prefered choice to make since I think them becoming a warden is a far better fate than what happens to them if you leave them at home.

You wouldnt want to see Bethany locked up in that horrible kirkwall circle for any length of time, and having your annoying brother become a templar would just be bloody awkward. Plus they get much nicer outfits if they become wardens. ;D

Coolicy
03-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Because you get a different Sibling dependent on your class (Mage: Carver, Warrior/Rogue: Bethany) I'm going to refer to her as Sibling.

Bring sibling to Deep Roads:
Sibling dies
IF Anders is in party, you can choose to have him lead you to the Grey Wardens:
Sibling becomes a Grey Warden. Rejoins you in the last part of the game.

Leave Sibling in Kirkwall:
Carver joins Templar
Bethany becomes a Circle Mage

Conclusion:
Your sibling either dies in Deep Roads, or becomes a Grey Warden.
Your sibling is left in Kirkwall, and becomes a Templar/Circle Mage

VampLena
03-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Im pretty sure you will play as hawk in sequels, Bioware seems pretty much to be setting Hawke up to be the Commander Shepard of Dragon Age. But I think the Hero will return, they hint at it alot, not to mention the hero never really cared about "Warden Neutrality".

kebabsoup
03-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Im pretty sure you will play as hawk in sequels, Bioware seems pretty much to be setting Hawke up to be the Commander Shepard of Dragon Age. But I think the Hero will return, they hint at it alot, not to mention the hero never really cared about "Warden Neutrality".

Urgh.... I fear you're probably and sadly right.

I would really prefer a Varric/Leliana duo as main characters. Since they like changing franchise gameplay orientations so much, they could make an action/infiltration game like MGS.