PDA

View Full Version : Retail Version Virus?

69Rocket_Joe
03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I preordered through Amazon and when I installed and went to run the first time AVG found a win32/heur virus. What's the deal with this? It installed and downloaded the patch and then AVG popped up an error and the virus was in a Crysis2 directory. My scan last night before I shut down and the one this morning before install had no signs of a virus. EA sending out crap?

-Joe

MutantMonkey
03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
No, there is just a file that is doing something that sets AVG off creating a false positive. AVG will update their software and it wont come up again.

This sometimes happens when new software hits the market.

69Rocket_Joe
03-22-2011, 12:12 PM
No, there is just a file that is doing something that sets AVG off creating a false positive. AVG will update their software and it wont come up again.

This sometimes happens when new software hits the market.

OK so I shouldn't freak out and let it go? I didn't think a big name like EA would have something like that happen. Unfortunately I allowed AVG to "move it to vault" and it seems to have removed all of Crysis 2 from my system. Will have to re install. Have to go to work now though :(

Thanks for the reply,

-Joe

WsE
03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
AVG is extremely sensitive when it comes to cases like this. Just so you know for the future.

99Reaper99
03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
On top of it, a virus being included in a brand spanking new game disc is going to be slim (not even slim, being generous) to none.

So you should know you're pretty much safe on the thought of a false-positive probably being it, a new retail disc, and common sense. It's like those people saying "I installed Steam and I got viruses from it! Help!", 1 in a billion chance of that even probably happening.

MutantMonkey
03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
OK so I shouldn't freak out and let it go? I didn't think a big name like EA would have something like that happen. Unfortunately I allowed AVG to "move it to vault" and it seems to have removed all of Crysis 2 from my system. Will have to re install. Have to go to work now though :(

Thanks for the reply,

-Joe

There is no reason to freak out. If you want to avoid this in the future, look into Avast or Windows Defender. Defender is actually a very solid AV program despite the fact it is Windows.

You can try reinstalling but AVG may still try to grab the file.

If possible try to make sure that AVG isn't automatically looking for that file and if it is, delete the entry from the vault.