PDA

View Full Version : Is it still true? (NOT THE CAKE)

themayor787
03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
The Co-op level creator? Is it confirmed/coming to the game at some point? That's what I heard, but I haven't really been keeping up (Just been watching the trailers :D). So? Will there be the level creator in the game, or at some point in a later release?

Azenin
03-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm sure Valve will release the SDK/Authoring Tools that has Hammer, as usual.

themayor787
03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm sure Valve will release the SDK/Authoring Tools that has Hammer, as usual.

Well, of course. It's a tradition of VALVe. What I heard, though, is that it would sort of take a Super Smash Bros. Level editor feel, allowing you to COMPLETELY make your own levels. Like, In StarCraft I and II, there's a level editor. You can add units, obstacles, props, and change height of the map. I was told around the same thing. Basically, a level editor not requiring mad coding skills and for just the players who sit at home and do nothing (Such as myself. Aren't I charming? ;D) But yeah, that's what I was told. Is it true? Maybe. Do I and many others hope it is true? Yes. If it IS true, will it be awesome? YES.

LiotkSa
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't recall anyone saying that.

Probably only SDK/Hammer.

KamiofLunacy
03-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Hammer doesn't require mad coding skills, only patience, some free time, and at least 4 gigs of RAM.

iphicrates
03-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Yes, the SDK/Hammer are available like always, but my big question is whether we will be able to co-op with the maps made with other people over the net, almost like custom maps in multiplayer fps's like team fortress or counter-strike. This availability would prove a much larger re-playability, and would actually set up for some amazing accomplishments.

themayor787
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Yes, the SDK/Hammer are available like always, but my big question is whether we will be able to co-op with the maps made with other people over the net, almost like custom maps in multiplayer fps's like team fortress or counter-strike. This availability would prove a much larger re-playability, and would actually set up for some amazing accomplishments.

Exactly! VALVe, if you do this, You would be taking a HUGE, GREAT business approach ;)

iphicrates
03-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Exactly! VALVe, if you do this, You would be taking a HUGE, GREAT business approach ;)

they should know this with the open approach to mods with half-life 1, and how much that evolved for the betterment of their own company. I believe portal 2 will become a much more homey household game with more "openness" to their multiplayer component.

_Budweiser_
03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
It was stated that "Authoring tools will be made available [some time] after release."

Theoretically, levels designed ought to be playable in multiplayer (Co-Op), but that wasn't actually specified.

iphicrates
03-22-2011, 03:10 PM
It was stated that "Authoring tools will be made available [some time] after release."

Theoretically, levels designed ought to be playable in multiplayer (Co-Op), but that wasn't actually specified.

honestly though i don't know how firm that statement is for the multiplayer. I heard a statement in some interview stating the modding tools that will be available won't be anymore extravagant than the ones already available for Portal 1, which translates to "no multiplayer mod support".
I very much think the team should look into this.

Rumina
03-22-2011, 03:21 PM
The Co-op level creator? Is it confirmed/coming to the game at some point? That's what I heard, but I haven't really been keeping up (Just been watching the trailers :D). So? Will there be the level creator in the game, or at some point in a later release?

It's standard for Valve to release the SDK with their games sometime around or soon after it's release... It's not actually in the game exactly, it's a separate program you'll have access to. It allows you to do much more than simply make levels.

Are you familiar with the Source modding community? This sounds like something you are new to. If you are interested in this then I heavily suggest booting up the SDK for another Source title and getting yourself familiar... you have to understand this isn't going to be something you can just jump into. These are professional level tools that take a lot of learning to use. Not meaning to sound rude, just giving you a heads up.

derrman0426
03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/620

Editing Tools: Portal 2 editing tools will be included. Note: To be made available after launch.

You should be able to make single-player and co-op maps alike.

Motanum
03-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Hammer doesn't require mad coding skills, only patience, some free time, and at least 4 gigs of RAM.

wht? Source plz, I only have 2 gigs of ram! I am scared!!!1

Motanum
03-22-2011, 04:00 PM
YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE CO-OP MAPS!

but only on pc-mac. Make a co-op map and then simply put the map or vkp on the maps or addons folder.

Then launch the game seperatly. Of course they will do it. You can play custom maps on L4D so there is NO reason to not be able on portal.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone ported the single player maps to co-op, just to see what 2 bots can do there :p

iphicrates
03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE CO-OP MAPS!

but only on pc-mac. Make a co-op map and then simply put the map or vkp on the maps or addons folder.

Then launch the game seperatly. Of course they will do it. You can play custom maps on L4D so there is NO reason to not be able on portal.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone ported the single player maps to co-op, just to see what 2 bots can do there :p
I'm not sure, but I thought custom maps for L4D were only playable on LOCAL servers?
I'm talking about a wide range of internet servers.

Nightgunner5
03-22-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure, but I thought custom maps for L4D were only playable on LOCAL servers?
I'm talking about a wide range of internet servers.

They're available on any server with said custom map installed.

Portal 2 is 2 player coop, so dedicated servers are pointless.