PDA

View Full Version : Steam wont let me play L4D2.

indy-greg
03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
For the past couple of days L4D2 was trying to validate the files. Fair enough blah blah....but it just continues to do that. I tried to uninstall the game so I dont have the game installed anymore. Now when ever I try to install the game is still does the validating. I can't play the game which i brought with my own money! Hot damn it's annoying.

Basically is there any way to make steam forget about l4d2 completely then I can download and install it as if Ive never had it.....or something along those lines.

Threesixtyci
03-24-2011, 11:50 AM
I can't think of anything magical. In that I don't know what file would need deleting to fool Steam Client into thinking that the game was never installed.

Have you've tried just leaving your PC on for 24 hours?

Guess you can try removing the content via Steam Client. Then exit Steam Client go into Steam/Steamapps/common, and then manually delete L4D2's directory. Then go back into Steam Client and try redownloading the game.

Could try reinstalling Steam client. but I don't think it'll fix it. To quickly reinstall Steam Client you manually delete everything in the Steam directory, except Steam.exe and the Steamapps sub directory. Then double click on Steam.exe.

Method320
03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Could try reinstalling Steam client. but I don't think it'll fix it. To quickly reinstall Steam Client you manually delete everything in the Steam directory, except Steam.exe and the Steamapps sub directory. Then double click on Steam.exe.

Odds are that method wouldn't fix it.

If you want to reinstall steam to attempt to fix this, you'd want to use it's uninstalled to also remove any registry entries as well.