PDA

View Full Version : Co-Op Alone?

Danzflor
03-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I have been asked several times by some friends (they are weird and do not play multiplayer games often, don't ask me) if you will be able to play the Co-Op all by yourself. I know, I know, it's not the idea behind the whole Multiplayer experience that Valve wants to give us, but I have that doubt too.

So, in conclusion, we are going to be able to play the Co-Op mode alone? With a CPU controlled buddy?

I know Valve has talked about this before, but I can't recall when o where. Any help to solve this mystery will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

GLaDOSv3.11
03-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Can't say no, but I haven't seen anything to support it.

Hachach19
03-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I think we came to the conclusion (I know I know, not a fact) that bots would be lame, as it requires a lot of coding and the bot itself doesn't really know when to go/shoot etc. I was thinking more of a "half-life: decay" way, where you can change between players to control, but that wouldn't really work either, as the coop part probably requires action from both players at the same time in certain puzzles.

AndrewTR
03-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I have been asked several times by some friends (they are weird and do not play multiplayer games often, don't ask me) if you will be able to play the Co-Op all by yourself. I know, I know, it's not the idea behind the whole Multiplayer experience that Valve wants to give us, but I have that doubt too.

So, in conclusion, we are going to be able to play the Co-Op mode alone? With a CPU controlled buddy?

I know Valve has talked about this before, but I can't recall when o where. Any help to solve this mystery will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

It is in an interview somewhere where Eric says no you need a human player no AI

LMAOlabs
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
If they were bots that you use the ping tool to direct their every move, it MIGHT WORK. However, these bots wouldn't be capable of advanced portal techniques. Such as the "Double Fling," etc. Plus, I don't think that they'd be able to determine where to place portals, without a direct AI order, or an order from you.

And, if it was a direct order, then it wouldn't be any fun. You wouldn't be able to control their actions, therefore they would do A LOT of things you wouldn't want them too. Such as placing portals over yours, or moving under a crusher when you don't want them too xD

Well, that pretty much answers that. Hope it helped! :D

MR.sugar
03-29-2011, 12:53 PM
The sollution could be to let player switch between both bots, like it was in HL: Decay.

This might work, but it also depends on tasks in the game you need to accomplish. If there is any puzzle, where you have to controll both bots at the same time, this clearly wouldn't work...

Ole' swifty
03-29-2011, 01:06 PM
You could be a sad person and play on lan, just jump over to the other keyboard when you need to make more portals.

I bet a mod comes out pretty fast where pressing a button switches you between the two A.I's

michael89
03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
The sollution could be to let player switch between both bots, like it was in HL: Decay.

This might work, but it also depends on tasks in the game you need to accomplish. If there is any puzzle, where you have to controll both bots at the same time, this clearly wouldn't work...

You somehow manage to miss the fact, that portal 2 is like... 3 times more complex (what would come to gameplay and ai), than what decay was.

That complex AI is not posible to create, at least not yet.

monkeedude1212
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
I bet a mod comes out pretty fast where pressing a button switches you between the two A.I's

What about scenarios where both characters require movement?