PDA

View Full Version : Theories on Ep 4. (Spoilers)

dieffenbachj
03-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Okay... does anyone besides me get the distinct impression that Citizen Brown is going to help rebuild the DeLorean, yes, BUT that his intention is NOT to let Marty go back and delete history? That he wants to go back himself and rewrite history so that he can have his Big Brother future WITHOUT Edna screwing it up?

And also, last night I had a premonition about the preview of the next episode we saw... I get the feeling that Marty's going to try and explain everything to Jennifer, but... Punk Jennifer does not strike me as the kind of person who would be exactly willing to have her entire world rewritten in favor of a new Matrix. Would she honestly say "Oh, you want to erase my personality and rewrite it with a more square girlfriend? And undo my life history, as well as those of my family, possibly accidentally deleting my entire life in the process? Sure! Let's do it!" More likely, and more interestingly, I think Citizen Brown and Jennifer will join forces to try and rewrite a BETTER and HAPPIER, but still socially constructed, Edna-less Hill Valley. And Marty will have to overcome them both to get to the DeLorean.

Though the biggest flaw with that is the preview shows Marty in 1931 sneaking around--if such a twist were truly part of the episode, I would think it would consume so much of the episode time that we wouldn't get to 1931 yet and that the 1931-fix-and-happy-ending would be the season (hopefully season and not series!) finale.

Also they still have that prom photo, which never came in handy in this episode. My inclination is to believe that it'll be used next episode... except, for what? Usually such items are used to divine the future--picture of the tombstone, picture of family, and so on--but Marty already has a newspaper from the present day which would have served that purpose just fine... and served it without conspicuously adding an item to his inventory for no apparent reason.

I wonder how that could come into play... and since it is a photo that as Heavily involves Jennifer as it does Marty, if it ties into my theories about Jennifer NOT being willing to have her history rewritten into oblivion.

For that matter, the last thing: objects and people which do not exist in a timeline cease to exist. Marty having his hand disappear while playing guitar, or Doc Brown or Old Biff Tannen disappearing entirely when they screw up their own timelines. So...

Why does the DeLorean still exist? How can a futuristic flying car, with a Mr. Fusion and time travel circuits, still be possible? My theory (and I think I've seen this before) is simply Martin. In Dystopian Hill Valley, Martin McFly is a super-genius kid who excels at everything he does (except guitar) and pushes himself further and further with math camps, honor programs, earning awards and is generally a pride of Hill Valley. This is the level of intelligence that rivals Doc Brown, and on that premise it's not unreasonable to believe that the reason the DeLorean hasn't been wiped from existence is because, in this timeline, Martin McFly builds a time machine out of an old car he found, and used it to travel through time, visit the future, visit the past, etc.

If that's the case, it could support my 'betrayal' theory (and add to the drama!) if Jennifer and/or Citizen Brown leave in the fixed DeLorean, and Marty has to steal Martin's DeLorean.

Of course, we hit the '2 hour long episode' problem... but A) it's fun to think about and B) if it's not the case, what the Hell is going to consume those 2 hours? It's not going to take a ridiculous amount of work, I don't think, to split up Young Doc and Edna in the past once he gets there, so I think a lot of the journey will be about getting there... but a 2-hour-ish escape sequence from prison (with apparently one cell) won't be too fun, either.

Last theory... Biff might come in to help Marty save the day. Not really because he likes Marty, but because he dislikes Edna more. Or something like that.

Tremos
03-30-2011, 09:57 AM
One of the first questions about the other timeline by Citizen Brown is: "Am I happy there?" Indicating that Citizen Brown cannot be too happy in his timeline. That is why I truly believe that he is going to help Marty to build that timemachine. He wants to be happy, and believes he can get it without having so much power. (Remember. He truly wants to be Scientist which he is not in alternate 1986.)

Sifer2
03-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Time machine doesn't even need to be rebuilt. It just needs a little auto repair. Unless the Flux Capacitor was broken which is possible I suppose. Maybe if that's all it needs Martin might be able to fix it without Doc.

Also the reason the Delorean exists should be because its a copy an not the original. This new Delorean was created by the accidental lightning strike that sent Doc back to the old west. When that happened another Delorean was created an sent to the future. Doc found it an that's the one were riding around in the games. The fact its a copy may make it somehow immune to timeline changes. Or at least I am hoping they go into detail about it cause its very Deus Ex machina if they don't. Seems like they would just say Doc built a new one if it wasn't going to be important to plot later.

dieffenbachj
04-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Time machine doesn't even need to be rebuilt. It just needs a little auto repair. Unless the Flux Capacitor was broken which is possible I suppose. Maybe if that's all it needs Martin might be able to fix it without Doc.

Also the reason the Delorean exists should be because its a copy an not the original. This new Delorean was created by the accidental lightning strike that sent Doc back to the old west. When that happened another Delorean was created an sent to the future. Doc found it an that's the one were riding around in the games. The fact its a copy may make it somehow immune to timeline changes. Or at least I am hoping they go into detail about it cause its very Deus Ex machina if they don't. Seems like they would just say Doc built a new one if it wasn't going to be important to plot later.

I think the explanation is very simple.

Doc Brown wanted to go to his childhood, but he didn't want to drag his wife and kids with him. So, he needed a SECOND time vehicle. Rather than build one, he traveled forward to 2015; his car in the future 'was not exactly street legal' (deleted scene I think that's from?) so 2015-Doc probably kept the DeLorean in a garage or hidden in the woods or something and rented a car on the side.

Current-Doc simply traveled to 2015 with his family, they dropped him off and he broke into his own garage, stole the DeLorean, with full intention of simply bringing it back to the exact moment he stole it once he was done with his little side trip to the past.

However, current-Doc is a lot more mentally settled, since he got laid and all, and he was able to think "Hm. If something screws up, I need to have a backup plan. I should fill the Mr. Fusion with fuel, hook a countdown timer, set it to 48 hours, and connect it to my remote control to bring the car to 88 miles per hour and then back down to 0 if the timer hits 0."

Bam! Everything's explained! We know why (and when) Doc took the DeLorean instead of the train, we understand how the car can simultaneously have flying circuits (which fried in the second movie) _AND_ be 1885-Doc who has a wife and two children (which happened in the third movie)...

And for that matter, it might even explain why the flying circuits fried to begin with. Marty basically ripped apart the wiring with his bare hands in the game... if this 2015 engineering gets repaired with 1985 technical knowledge (even, or maybe especially, if it's the absent-minded 1985 Doc doing it), it could make it extremely prone to frying at the slightest electrical surge.

You may now feel enlightened.

Bellcross
04-02-2011, 12:02 AM
My guess it still exists is because "time travel" was still invented by the doc, he simply just turned the original vision of the flux capacitor into a symbol instead. Its also the reason why it was the only page in his book that was not blank.

Ryzza5
04-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Don't they need to find a new hover wheel as well, since the last one flew away to who knows where? ;)

Sifer2
04-02-2011, 02:21 AM
I think the explanation is very simple.

Doc Brown wanted to go to his childhood, but he didn't want to drag his wife and kids with him. So, he needed a SECOND time vehicle. Rather than build one, he traveled forward to 2015; his car in the future 'was not exactly street legal' (deleted scene I think that's from?) so 2015-Doc probably kept the DeLorean in a garage or hidden in the woods or something and rented a car on the side.

Current-Doc simply traveled to 2015 with his family, they dropped him off and he broke into his own garage, stole the DeLorean, with full intention of simply bringing it back to the exact moment he stole it once he was done with his little side trip to the past.

However, current-Doc is a lot more mentally settled, since he got laid and all, and he was able to think "Hm. If something screws up, I need to have a backup plan. I should fill the Mr. Fusion with fuel, hook a countdown timer, set it to 48 hours, and connect it to my remote control to bring the car to 88 miles per hour and then back down to 0 if the timer hits 0."

Bam! Everything's explained! We know why (and when) Doc took the DeLorean instead of the train, we understand how the car can simultaneously have flying circuits (which fried in the second movie) _AND_ be 1885-Doc who has a wife and two children (which happened in the third movie)...

And for that matter, it might even explain why the flying circuits fried to begin with. Marty basically ripped apart the wiring with his bare hands in the game... if this 2015 engineering gets repaired with 1985 technical knowledge (even, or maybe especially, if it's the absent-minded 1985 Doc doing it), it could make it extremely prone to frying at the slightest electrical surge.

You may now feel enlightened.

That's probably a better idea than what they actually went with. Which is the lightning clone car I mentioned. At least that is what Doc tells you when you ask him where the new Delorean came from. What reason does he have to lie about it?

Scipizoa
04-02-2011, 06:59 AM
I think marty has to explain to Jennifer whats going on because square marty shows up, I mean they never explain this in the movies but what happened to alternate timeline marty, why did he have no memory of what happened,

same for the citizen brown time line, he's totally clueless which should mean that another marty exists, I know the writers probably came up with some stupid loophole, like in the second film"oh marty left town but suddenly he's back and has no memory of biff's empire"<>

so the alternate people such as marty and jennifer get erased from the timelines to make way for the original 1985-6 versions?

Yea I hope someone makes sense of this...

lordlundar
04-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Don't they need to find a new hover wheel as well, since the last one flew away to who knows where? ;)

If they needed it to fly, then yes, but just to drive? Once out of Hill Valley, cars are legal.:)

Monster_user
04-15-2011, 11:12 PM
"oh marty left town but suddenly he's back and has no memory of Doc's empire"
Updated.

Marty's dad said that Marty was supposed to be out at the lake all weekend. For some geek-athelon.