PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here played 'Toonstruck'?

Ryzza5
04-01-2011, 02:15 AM
80% of you maybe have never heard of this game, but since you're fans of the BTTF adventure games, there's more chance that you would be interested in this than say, members on a car-racing game forum :)

Toonstruck is also an adventure game like the current TellTale titles (of which I've played W&G and BTTF), but it's much older, much longer, and features plenty more puzzles.

The main character coincidentally is Christopher Lloyd, who draws characters for a children's TV show. The short story is that he get's sucked into the animated world that he created, and the only way to get back home to the real world is to succeed in a mission you are given.

The game was released in the mid 1990's, ran on DOS (there was also a Win95 autorun program), and used 2 CDs (quite amazing when you think most other games at the time came on 1.44mb floppy disks). It would take you quite a number of hours to complete the game as well, even longer if you struggled with what you had to do (back then we didn't have the Internet with walkthroughs). ;)

If I knew where the CDs were in my house (lost them) I'd probably be installing it now - although I'm guessing there are other ways around that problem. the DOSBox emulator would probably be needed to run it.

The good news is that some have recorded pretty much all of it and uploaded to YouTube. You can check it out here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6mM5BZLvbo&feature=player_embedded) if you're interested. If you can suffer through the more chidlish scenes it's a great game.

The question I have though, is how many of you have heard of or played this game before?

Scatlin11
04-01-2011, 03:42 AM
Yeap i used to play the crap out of that game when i was a bit younger,was an instant classic now that i think about,i had some great times with it.

Ladicuis
04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Yes, I loved that game. I actually played it like 6 months ago again, got it running on vista/dosbox. It's a real jewel, I loved the differences between the sweet, evil and zany toons and worlds and the all over intertwined puzzles.

If you are able to obtain this game, you should.

Ryzza5
04-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Apparantly there's a chance of a sequel, with a petition currently available

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/toonstrucktwo

Just make up a USA ZIP code if you want to sign (i.e. 90210) ;)

Liamaj
04-25-2011, 08:32 AM
I loved that game so very much. Everything Christopher Lloyd touches turns to gold.

spyrochaete
04-26-2011, 07:20 AM
It was a great game with really interesting technology. It was very jarring to see a live actor interposed with classic style animation. Very unique, cool game.

Skaery
04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Uhh, I do remember that game.

Ahh, the nostalgic feel =)

mclazyj
04-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Still have my copy of the game, but it is a pain to get it running nowadays. My wife loved it. I thought it was good, but not great.

Liamaj
04-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I hated the button pushing bit where you had to stop the arrow on a prize

wq15
05-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Blue Purple Red Orange Yellow Green Orange........

THANK YOU FOR CALLING WACME'S not EVERYONE'S A WINNER CONTEST!
IT'S EEEEEEASY TO PLAY.
Dosbox is the way to go, it will run in xp vista or windows 7

Ryzza5
05-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Hehe - last time I played I did the clock (6pm) before chatting to the guard, and went 'o poop' when I was asked what colour fish was on his left shoulder. My guess was correct* so I still got them all right first go, fortunately.

*As it turned out, I was actually wrong, only that I got my left/right mixed up (since he faces you) which made it correct anyway.

Winning the WACME Gift-o-matic prizes was challenging on the Pentium 1 PC's of the day (or the 486) - it's way harder on the quad-core machine I'm running today.

The other hard part is pulling the books to access the security office. When I quadruple checked my order against the bird in the dungeon, I decided to just check the answer online only to find that one of the instructions goes against what the bird says, but oh well.

T3rm1
10-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Bumping the thread because this is the most awesome adventure game ever made! :)

Seriously, this game is one of the best. Everyone should try it. It's amazing. I replay it every ~3 years. It's worth it!

For anyone who knows the game. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEE_CY1XKTg