PDA

View Full Version : Very addicting game and...

Maxunit
04-01-2011, 05:50 AM
Heyo,

I joined the Beta 6 this week and I have to say, that I cannot understand most of the negative comments about Darkspore so far. Sure, I was expecting to be able to create my very own hero from the ground up like the way you could do in Spore, but I thought: Whatever...

I really enjoy the game, sure, the graphics are not compareable with the Cryengine 3 or the upcoming Unreal Engine (Samaritian Demo). But I think, that Darkspore looks nice, mostly the night-time enviroments with the biolumisence (AVATAR anyone? :P).

The controls are easy and you only need a few buttons, just like good old Hack 'n Slay games.

I think, that most people are used to graphics based fps games (CoD, MOH etc) and that games like Darkspore, Diablo, Freelancer (Space Sims) are totally underrated by now.

Darkspore is something fresh and familiar at the same time and wakes the spirit of collecting, partying against monster hordes and having fun in co-op again. I really missed games like that since the release of Diablo 2. Several games tried to reflect the Style of Diablo 2 (or similiar games) but were only "Okay" or even failed.

Darkspore, in my opinion, finally manages to raise those feelings again.

Sure, haters gonna hate and trolls gonna troll, but Darkspore, in my opinion, deserves to be tried out, before someone starts trolling about it.

Give yourself a push and try it out. Why? It is free during the Beta events and you wont spend money on it. You either like it or not and you haven't spent any money on it, which would make you regret that decision.

I will pre-order it in the following days and can't wait to play the final game with some of my mates or random people.

The Beta 6 sadly ends today, but if you participate into the next upcoming Betas, then you can add me. My EA Nick is: Maxunit1337

Greetings,

Maxunit

Sweeney47
04-01-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't think many people downloaded the beta expecting it to be COD level graphics etc... I'd imagine most people saw the screenshots on the steam page. I tihnk if it was a bit faster and maybe "incoming horde" was actually a horde, like a L4D zombie rush, then this would be a decent game.

My original impression on the game of "what is this failing to be?" has moved towards "this isn't too bad" but im not sure it's quite there.

For me it doesnt touch Diablo II but that doesnt make it an aweful game. In fact since playing DS i've been getting urges to install D2 again lol.

In comparison to a blockbuster like COD, I would probably spend more time playing DS. Like Global Agenda wasn't really that great a game, it had the "pick up and play" aspect to it which is always nice to have somewhere in your game library... that isn't minecraft anway :D

Rancor26
04-01-2011, 08:06 AM
My only problem with this game is that it is 50€... in my opinion hack and slash game like this doesn't have enough content to be 50€ release.

Sweeney47
04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
It probably has more content than most games that people pay the same & more for, its down to how you can engage with that content.

Andy M. J.
04-01-2011, 10:07 AM
(AVATAR anyone? :P).

This is what my friend said to me as we were playing through the beta levels for the first time.

"This looks so much like Avatar."

Also, I agree with most of the things you said.

GeneralHERO
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
On the Horde comment dont forget the beta is only covering the first difficulty so who knows what "Invasion" may bring ;)

l3reak
04-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't think many people downloaded the beta expecting it to be COD level graphics etc... I'd imagine most people saw the screenshots on the steam page. I tihnk if it was a bit faster and maybe "incoming horde" was actually a horde, like a L4D zombie rush, then this would be a decent game.

My original impression on the game of "what is this failing to be?" has moved towards "this isn't too bad" but im not sure it's quite there.

Hey, L4D has big hordes... in a four player game. Try playing Darkspore in four-player co-op, too! I think you'll find that, especially in the levels in 2-x or 3-x, you'll run into great waves of mobs. ;)

Maxunit
04-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I really enjoyed the Beta and when I played with 4 Player on one of the 3-x levels...it was a ****load of fun!

Creaturemagic
04-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, your all going to love Maxis, becuase guess what? They extended beta till monday! http://forums.darkspore.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3153

Jaheebus
04-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Hey, L4D has big hordes... in a four player game. Try playing Darkspore in four-player co-op, too! I think you'll find that, especially in the levels in 2-x or 3-x, you'll run into great waves of mobs. ;)

That is where the fun with AoE damage comes in !! :D

HorrorScope
04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
The gameplay is possibly the weakest part of the game, movement speed or something just needs a boost. Not a bad game at all, tons of customization. Maybe some more massive looking powers to just give the senses a boost. It does feel like a $35 game for me. It's not bargain-bin but $50 does seem a bit steep.

l3reak
04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
The gameplay is possibly the weakest part of the game, movement speed or something just needs a boost. Not a bad game at all, tons of customization. Maybe some more massive looking powers to just give the senses a boost. It does feel like a $35 game for me. It's not bargain-bin but $50 does seem a bit steep.

Speed does go up a lot as you play. Feet start dropping on level 3-1, I believe, and many/most of them will increase your movement speed. I saw someone with a particularly nice pair of feet that gave him, among a WHOLE lot of other stuff, +39% speed. That was a level 40 item, and I know items go up at least to level 150; that's not even taking into consideration movement speed catalysts.

For those who don't know, a catalyst is an orb you can pick up and carry with you for the duration of a level, and even keep during as long as you're on one chain of missions. Catalysts have levels, too, so I can't say what all catalysts would give, but even the low level ones give 5%/10%/15% depending on size, if they give a percentage instead of stat bonus. You can equip up to 9 catalysts at a time, and with proper row matching you can get up to a 2.7x multiplier on THAT bonus, so... you can do the math. (though don't be surprised if there's a cap, this isn't a racing game, hahaha)

BTW, Darkspore is about $35 with the Steam deal, if that makes you feel any better.

voidfox
04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
BTW, Darkspore is about $35 with the Steam deal, if that makes you feel any better.

Just gotta find 3 other trust-worthy ppl to get the 4-pack with, none of my friends want the game. :(

Teranasaurus
04-01-2011, 10:00 PM

As with any game of this type and most games in general, as you get further into the game your characters become more powerful in a variety of ways. In Darkspore once you start getting "feet" items you start seeing +movement speed as a stat (so far anywhere from 5-25%) and I believe it can show up on other items as well.

If I hadn't seen what a difference these items make I'd agree with you on that point. I think the thing that bothers me most is the camera. It really feels like it is too close to the ground, like I'm playing in the wrong resolution or something. I wish I could zoom it out another 30% or so.

My only problem with this game is that it is 50€... in my opinion hack and slash game like this doesn't have enough content to be 50€ release.

What about five hour first person shooters? Titan Quest and Diablo 2 were well with $50... I'm sure there are numerous other action rpgs that are as well.

HorrorScope
04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Speed does go up a lot as you play. Feet start dropping on level 3-1, I believe, and many/most of them will increase your movement speed. I saw someone with a particularly nice pair of feet that gave him, among a WHOLE lot of other stuff, +39% speed. That was a level 40 item, and I know items go up at least to level 150; that's not even taking into consideration movement speed catalysts.

For those who don't know, a catalyst is an orb you can pick up and carry with you for the duration of a level, and even keep during as long as you're on one chain of missions. Catalysts have levels, too, so I can't say what all catalysts would give, but even the low level ones give 5%/10%/15% depending on size, if they give a percentage instead of stat bonus. You can equip up to 9 catalysts at a time, and with proper row matching you can get up to a 2.7x multiplier on THAT bonus, so... you can do the math. (though don't be surprised if there's a cap, this isn't a racing game, hahaha)

Tonight I was able to put more time in and what you say indeed happens. One issue in the impressions thread, guys giving up the first 10 minutes. You know what they say about a first impression. But yeah, enjoying it quite a bit more.

I got three willing, if I find a 4th we'll be in.