PDA

View Full Version : Trophies+Steam Achievments

FailSquad69
04-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I looked in the sticky thread but didn't see any specific info on this but I wanted to find out for sure. after linking my steam and PSN accounts, if I earn a Portal 2 trophy on my ps3, is the steam achievement also unlocked and vice versa? One would assume so since saves and co-op are cross platform but I just wanted to double check. Anyone know?

SGilley
04-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I looked in the sticky thread but didn't see any specific info on this but I wanted to find out for sure. after linking my steam and PSN accounts, if I earn a Portal 2 trophy on my ps3, is the steam achievement also unlocked and vice versa? One would assume so since saves and co-op are cross platform but I just wanted to double check. Anyone know?
Maybe, maybe not, because sometimes the achievements/trophies are different than the console ones, but with the partnership with PS3, I'm thinking probably.
EDIT: Definitely, because Steamworks is on the PS3.

natedogXVI
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Almost definitely, but we won't know for sure until it's released or someone happens to say something about it.

Fullmetal691
04-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Saves are NOT cross platform. It was stated in an interview that saves will NOT work between PS3 and PC. I'll find that link.

natedogXVI
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Saves are NOT cross platform. It was stated in an interview that saves will NOT work between PS3 and PC. I'll find that link.

Please find this, because I was under the impression that saves would be uploaded to the SteamCloud, allowing you to pick up your game on the computer after playing a bit on the PS3 and vice versa.

Playgear93
04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Please find this, because I was under the impression that saves would be uploaded to the SteamCloud, allowing you to pick up your game on the computer after playing a bit on the PS3 and vice versa.

Found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2XIhh4RX8&feature=player_detailpage#t=403s

natedogXVI
04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2XIhh4RX8&feature=player_detailpage#t=403s

Sounds like from that interview, the Trophies and Steam Achievements are separate as well. Part of his explanation for the saves not being cross-platform was that Sony wants to keep a handle on Trophy progress, and basically want to ensure you can't just go to the PC side and "offline hack it".

So it sounds like not only do save files not work between platforms, but Achievement progress is monitored separately. Which works for me I guess. While the other option would have been cool, this just encourages me to play the game even more (like I need the encouragement) with more purpose than just for the hell of it.

FailSquad69
04-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Sounds like from that interview, the Trophies and Steam Achievements are separate as well. Part of his explanation for the saves not being cross-platform was that Sony wants to keep a handle on Trophy progress, and basically want to ensure you can't just go to the PC side and "offline hack it".

So it sounds like not only do save files not work between platforms, but Achievement progress is monitored separately. Which works for me I guess. While the other option would have been cool, this just encourages me to play the game even more (like I need the encouragement) with more purpose than just for the hell of it.

oh yeah. i guess that makes sense. thats why steam achievements aren't fun. guess i'll just try it on the ps3. ty for finding it. i'll rep both of u

reym420
04-01-2011, 06:31 PM

It was also stated that if your playing on your PS3, but say you have to take a cab ride, you save your game, grab your laptop and continue your game on your way the the destination. Not in those exact words of course. Thats just my example.

Playgear93
04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
It was also stated that if your playing on your PS3, but say you have to take a cab ride, you save your game, grab your laptop and continue your game on your way the the destination. Not in those exact words of course. Thats just my example.

I understand the paraphrase, but... source?