PDA

View Full Version : Easy And Medium Difficulty Too Far Apart?

stratus41298
04-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Hi!

Loving the game so far. It might just be me, but on easy I beat the level on my first try with my messy turret setup and all. When I tried medium today I couldn't get past the sixth level. I've been trying all sorts of different tactics but I feel like either there should be another difficulty setting (make easy very easy) or the jump from easy to medium should be lessened.

I've played plenty of TD games before and i'm not attempting to whine about it being too difficult. Just, on my first run through I feel like easy was a breeze and medium was significantly harder. I'm not awesome at TD games and I know for others like me it would be nice to have an in between while we learn all of the ins and outs without too much frustration. In any case, it's back to the drawing board for me :)

Thanks!

Stratus

Talesin
04-02-2011, 11:46 AM
The same kind of difficulty jump exists between Normal and Hard, and between Hard and Insane... except those who can beat Hard without too much problem can't get past level 2 of Insane.
Medium is actually pretty easy, so long as you're building a maze and not just a bunch of turrets randomly.

҈Ocө
04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
I have the same proble, my only experience with TD games is Defense Grid, i beated it very easy on normal. But this game seems to be very hard for me. I like chanllenge though, so i'll keep trying :cool:

stratus41298
04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
The same kind of difficulty jump exists between Normal and Hard, and between Hard and Insane... except those who can beat Hard without too much problem can't get past level 2 of Insane.
Medium is actually pretty easy, so long as you're building a maze and not just a bunch of turrets randomly.

Perhaps another difficulty level would solve this. I constructed a maze and got to level 16 but got owned by tanks. I'm a bit at a loss about that one. Gonna make a new post about it after a bit of research.

Update: Gonna try Talesin's fancy pants maze and see how it goes.

stratus41298
04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Dude, that maze is awesome. Definitely getting farther. I also realized that laser vs. tank is bad. I was thinking lightning but using laser. Much better now.

neyodragon
04-02-2011, 11:27 PM
The dev posts seem pretty adamant about "LOL USE SNIPER RIFLE, LOL NUB BUILD BETTER" yet you never get a good feel for what you did wrong, the tanks are ridiculous past easy, and you don't get enough energy to upgrade weapons + build better defenses.

Darkreaver1980
04-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Medium is very easy overall, i beated it on my first try without any problems. At the last wave 25, i was actualy sad that it was over already. Hard is actually pretty challenging, i like it how they did it

Kenji_03
04-03-2011, 01:35 AM
The dev posts seem pretty adamant about "LOL USE SNIPER RIFLE, LOL NUB BUILD BETTER" yet you never get a good feel for what you did wrong, the tanks are ridiculous past easy, and you don't get enough energy to upgrade weapons + build better defenses.

The difficulty levels are meant to accommodate different SKILL levels. It's not meant to be a "slow progression". For example:

At the start of the round you can either eliminate or half the HP of one of any 3 of the enemy mob spawns via only the sniper rifle (the straight ahead gives you the most sniping range). Upgrade the rifle before wave 1 making a minimal maze, then again by the time you get +100 resources for wave completion.

The standard TD maze of a "zig zag (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560904132090479640/81AC768E2846D10D96A177CB37DF6F996A017F1B/)" isn't very efficent in this game. Try a more complex maze like the ones shown in this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809131). I personally use this one: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198034094596/screenshot/578918346725164887/?

Lastly, DON'T UNDERESTIMATE TELEVATORS! Being able to warp all over the place at the press of 2 buttons is VERY helpful.

IAMCRAIG
04-03-2011, 04:32 AM

Focus on making a good maze and don't forget to keep your sniper rifle decently upgrade and tanks will be one of the easier enemies in the game.

edit: like im talking filling up at least half of your allotted space with your maze.

TheKillerBeeXL
04-03-2011, 05:15 AM
In my experience, leveling up your own weapons is more efficient use of your money than buying turrets. So at the start of the game directly buy the level 2 sniper. And 2 waves later upgrade it to level 3. Ofcourse you do need to use the database (Esc-key) to learn about the weaknesses of the enemies.

For example, for tanks it states their weak spot is on their head. So use the sniper on their head to deal alot of damage. The database also states tanks take reduced damage from fast fire weapons. So a lightning tower is a great tower to use against them. It fires slow but does nice damage.

Perhaps these kind of tricks will become more clear when the community grows and we have a bunch of experienced people writing detailed guides to make playing easier.

Btw, I think that getting to wave 16 on your first try is not so bad. If you made it in your first try aswell, then you would move on to hard sooner and find that gap too hard aswell. Just keep trying to beat normal and eventually you will get it.

stratus41298
04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Having played the game for about 16 hours now I find I get alot farther now that I've found some good strategies. Except for that stupid big walker at the end of mine on medium. How the heck do you kill that thing!? :)

Tigerhawk71
04-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Hi!
Just, on my first run through I feel like easy was a breeze and medium was significantly harder. I'm not awesome at TD games and I know for others like me it would be nice to have an in between while we learn all of the ins and outs without too much frustration. In any case, it's back to the drawing board for me :)

Thanks!

Stratus

Yeah, easy mode is like babys first adventure compared to medium. And hard compared to medium is like taking your ability to stop a person on the street with your hands and replacing that person with a small car, while you still have to stop it with your hands. And on insane that car is replaced with an M1 Abrams tank.

I'm capable of stopping the small car and... sometimes the tank.

It's a bit rough sometimes. But keep plugging away at it! :)

Maddoc
04-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Absolutely yes

The difficulty in this game is all over the place, honestly.

Easy is basically pointless, since you can just set up a couple turrets in the beginning of a stage and then go get a drink or something.

And then for example waves 1-19 on Medium are a cakewalk too, but the final wave comes completely out of left field and whatever defenses worked during prior waves (of the exact same wave composition even, Big/Small Walkers together that is) is entirely useless.

Even more than the lack of content, it's the uneven difficulty that puts me off of this game.

I'd be fine with it being actually difficult, but some sort of gradual incline would be better. Than "this part is so easy you won't learn any valuable gameplay skills, and the next part is so difficult that you need to utilize all of the gameplay skills the previous part was too easy to teach you"

Tulipopa
04-20-2011, 06:20 AM
I think the single-player game is very well balanced difficulty wise. Each wave gets progressively a bit harder (Mine's wave 20 is an exception). I beat the bridge and arc on my first attempt with 100% health, but I had to build a better maze in Mine to reach 100% health. I did not play the beta or the demo, so in my opinion the difficulties are fine, but Mine's last wave could use some adjusting.

Multiplayer difficulties are not balanced however and the devs are working on it as far as I know.

Tigerhawk71
04-20-2011, 06:52 AM
I think the single-player game is very well balanced difficulty wise. Each wave gets progressively a bit harder (Mine's wave 20 is an exception). I beat the bridge and arc on my first attempt with 100% health, but I had to build a better maze in Mine to reach 100% health. I did not play the beta or the demo, so in my opinion the difficulties are fine, but Mine's last wave could use some adjusting.

Multiplayer difficulties are not balanced however and the devs are working on it as far as I know.

Multiplayer has been tweaked over and over throughout the beta - rest assured the devs were listening to us and making tweaks that people asked for.

Mine wave 20 is bull♥♥♥♥. It's that simple. It just is.

The difficulty curve otherwise is no different to other TD games. Once you know what turrets are good against what, the turret portion is forgettable in favor of good old fashioned FPS.

The biggest problem i see is people spending too much on thier guns too early and neglecting well placed turrets.