PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting left behind with the engine improvements?

Dude902
04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
For me I started falling behind in upgrading my computer since Left 4 Dead was released. I could originally run everything in the Orange Box with just about maxed settings.

In L4D I had lag when I was zoomed-in with the hunting rifle and was forced to lower my shader quality. Then TF2 added mountains of content and gradually became more difficult for my computer to run (though I've read some work has been done in optimizing since I've last played with LOD models and other things). In L4D2 I had to play at settings even less than what I played L4D1 with.

Now, in Portal 2 there's dynamic lighting and god-knows-what added to the engine, and since it's a standalone product unlike Portal 1, there'll be a lot more detail in the game. I'm worried my computer won't be able to keep up.

How are the rest of you doing in keeping up? I assume lots of you will be running at maximum (or beyond) settings, but there are others who share my predicament, right?

Tumdace
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Gotta keep up with the times if you wanna game on a PC.

Running a Sandy Bridge here, so ill be able to max it out.

striderjg
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
If computer is falling behind, time to look into a upgrade path. This is actually one and only one area that I think I thank consoles for. It seems games aren't pushing the hardware edge as much as they use too. Upgrades seem to be lasting me a lot longer. I could be wrong but way it seems to me. As for how my primary rig is fairing, pretty well:) Even the secondary computer in the house can run a lot of modern games respectably.

smash
04-03-2011, 08:15 PM
I've got a quad core, DX11 system, so I'm good to go.

Have you seen the hardware stats lately? At least 50% of the survery takers have DX10-capable systems and at least a dual core CPU. It's time to upgrade if you don't have that at least.

slipperywhenwet
04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm beyond fine for Portal 2.

I COULD use a CPU upgrade, but I'm fine for now.

shawnhollern
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
OP, post your specs, maybe we can help you find some cheap upgrades.

jimmysmitty
04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Gotta keep up with the times if you wanna game on a PC.

Running a Sandy Bridge here, so ill be able to max it out.

Don't necessarily need SB to max it out. Anyone with at least a Q6600 or Phenom II quad core and a HD4K or G200 series should still be able to max it out.

As for the OP, thats the purpose of Source. To be extremley modular. They can add features when needed or not add any at all.

If you machine is 5 years old and are running a dual core, its not too expensive to upgrade to a quad core and a newer GPU.

Hell a HD5770 should max Portal 2 out nicley.

In fact, as much as I want to upgrade my system, I will probably wait until VALVe releases a new game engine. I have yet to find a game I cannot max out that I play.

Mad_Cow
04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
My laptop is a little weak in the video area so I'm not sure how it'll handle Portal 2 :( at least I have the desktop to fall back on if needed.

yourworldonfire
04-03-2011, 09:02 PM
my computer i use is a minimum requirement ♥♥♥♥♥! I will be playing the PC version of Portal 2 at my friends house on MY 32 inch LCD tv... that will be for co op. PS3 will be my first time play through of single player

Sifer2
04-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I was behind when Left 4 Dead 2 came out. Just couldn't get it to run smoothly so I upgraded. I imagine i'll be good until the next consoles release in a few years. You really don't need dual cards an all that. Since most games these days are console ports or PC exclusive games that are still not really pushing anyone's rig. Honestly unless you want to max out Battlefield 3 what reason is their to have an uber rig these days?

dance1211
04-04-2011, 02:22 AM
My computer can very barely run minecraft with minimum settings, let alone anything else. i got this computer for £200 ($320 i think) 3 years ago and never upgraded since.

Kyorisu
04-04-2011, 02:38 AM
my computer i use is a minimum requirement ♥♥♥♥♥! I will be playing the PC version of Portal 2 at my friends house on MY 32 inch LCD tv... that will be for co op. PS3 will be my first time play through of single player

Mmm huge pixels. I'd hope that TV is set at the right distance and you don't do what morons do with TVs on their desks.

My computer can very barely run minecraft with minimum settings, let alone anything else. i got this computer for £200 ($320 i think) 3 years ago and never upgraded since.

Minecraft is very performance intensive for what it is. I blame notch for being a ♥♥♥♥ and abusing glclear.

Donutter²
04-04-2011, 03:06 AM

how long ago? and what kind of hardware?

I built my current rig last year on a budget for £400.

C2D E6850 3.0ghz
HD 5770
4GB Hyper-X ram
750w PSU
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

My only regret is buying a cheap case because my PSU has the fan hole on the bottom so it draws the warm air coming off the CPU making ambient temps a bit higher than usual. But I can run games at very good settings, my only other issue is the fan noise from the HD5770.

Dude902
04-04-2011, 03:52 AM
OP, post your specs, maybe we can help you find some cheap upgrades.

My computer is a Dell (I know, "Dell" :rolleyes:) Workstation Precision 670 with some parts changed around.

CPU - Dual Intel Xeons 3.0ghz (two separate processors unlike most computers, and each is about equivalent to a Pentium 4)
GPU - Nvidia 7900GS
RAM - 3.0 GBs

Those are its main specs for gaming. Just about the only thing I can change is the graphics card, and my CPUs will probably bottleneck anything much better than what I already have. I have considered getting one if it's within the ~$100 price range, at least to try it out and then return it if there is indeed a severe bottleneck.

Either way I'm sure I can run Portal 2, just at lower settings than I would like. I find the little details which require higher settings to be an important part of the experience in a Valve game.

Boff
04-04-2011, 04:11 AM
My computer recently updated itself from a living breathing System to a Dead Paperweight just in time for Portal2

Motherboard has onboard kaput capacity.
CPU 0Ghz
GPU highly capable of showing black or Blue screen of Death.
RAM 0 GBs

BDtetra
04-04-2011, 04:25 AM
If you bought one decent graphic board then you would have been fine. just get a GTX280 that still works good enough.

Dark Flesh
04-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Iv got a ATI Radeon 4890.
4 Gigs RAM.
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,4Ghz

Dont know why but can even Play Crisis 2 on evry setting with nice 30-40 FPS

Harelgur760
04-04-2011, 05:46 AM
Nope.
HD 6870, I5 760, 4GB RAM

Simian_
04-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Iv got a ATI Radeon 4890.
4 Gigs RAM.
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,4Ghz

Dont know why but can even Play Crisis 2 on evry setting with nice 30-40 FPS

That's because Crysis 2 is way more optimized than Crysis was. The CryEngine 3 is soooooo good. Puts VALVe Source to shame. I wonder if the updated engine for Portal 2 will even come close, tbh.

Harelgur760
04-04-2011, 06:17 AM
That's because Crysis 2 is way more optimized than Crysis was. The CryEngine 3 is soooooo good. Puts VALVe Source to shame. I wonder if the updated engine for Portal 2 will even come close, tbh.

Its a dumbed down Cry Engine 2 ,that's why is more optimized, puts Crytek to shame.
Source may be less advanced than Cry Engine 3, but as long as the game is pretty all the tech stuff doesnt matter.

McMasterGold
04-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Technology has to move forward. But come on, I don't think you have to lower L4D2 settings that much if you can already run Orange Box games on max. However it's true TF2 has received a shipload of items without LOD models killing performance, but they're slowly being added.

At least I'm good with Portal 2. I would even max it out on my HD 5770 if I didn't have that stupid microstuttering issue. Looks like I'll have to resort to medium to high settings.

vegetablegod
04-04-2011, 06:24 AM
I am running an x4 with a GTX 260 and look to upgrade to a 560ti soon. It can be expensive.

the specs are pretty low to play P2, but maybe you should look to upgrade some things in the near future. You don't have to get the best of everything and shop around to get the best price.

Simian_
04-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Its a dumbed down Cry Engine 2 ,that's why is more optimized, puts Crytek to shame.
Source may be less advanced than Cry Engine 3, but as long as the game is pretty all the tech stuff doesnt matter.

"tech stuff" is how you make the game look pretty.

I've heard people argue about how Crysis 2 is dumbed down graphically, but at the end of the day it still looks way better than Crysis and Warhead did. To me, it seems people are just parroting the FUD because they think it makes them look smart.

They're falling for the simple trick that "optimization" can easily be twisted to make it seem like it is a bad thing. I doubt Crytek spent around 4 years just stripping the engine down to it's frame. That's a laughable idea.

MinionJoe
04-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I keep up with the changing times by playing primarily on the 360.

Occasionally, a game will come out that I MUST have (sa Civilization V), and I will build/upgrade a PC specifically for that game.

Since Portal 2 will be available for console, I see no need to upgrade my PC to accommodate it.

McMasterGold
04-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Since Portal 2 will be available for console, I see no need to upgrade my PC to accommodate it.

The reason you won't have to upgrade is because Portal 2 will be using Source, not because it has the Crysis 2 syndrome.

Simian_
04-04-2011, 06:44 AM
I am running an x4 with a GTX 260 and look to upgrade to a 560ti soon. It can be expensive.

the specs are pretty low to play P2, but maybe you should look to upgrade some things in the near future. You don't have to get the best of everything and shop around to get the best price.

All the reviews are saying that the 560ti is not a good buy because its heavy price tag isn't matched by the performance. The smart money right now is on the gtx 460.

Spiah
04-04-2011, 08:03 AM
I used to be behind. I had an old system from 2007. Only a dual core/intel hd graphics.

However, seriously, just a $100 upgrade for a psu and a 5670, and now I can play Crysis on medium and source on very high.

Now, I'm in the process of doing a custom build, but check out newegg, they have some great prices for good parts.

Also, Simian, I'm getting a 560, and I haven't seen these so called negative reviews you talk about..
I've heard that oc'ed 6870s go right under the 560, for 20 less. So the 560 is basically where it needs to be.

MinionJoe
04-04-2011, 08:15 AM
The reason you won't have to upgrade is because Portal 2 will be using Source, not because it has the Crysis 2 syndrome.

Thank you for straightening that out!

Here I was thinking I wouldn't have to upgrade my PC to play Portal 2 because I'll be playing Portal 2 on the X-Box 360.

*shrugs*

alex2the3gr8
04-04-2011, 08:17 AM
I recently bought a graphics card, that enables me to run every source engine game on max settings. I just need a new processor, my current CPU sucks and is causing me to fall behind on games!

McMasterGold
04-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Thank you for straightening that out!

Here I was thinking I wouldn't have to upgrade my PC to play Portal 2 because I'll be playing Portal 2 on the X-Box 360.

*shrugs*

Ah, I thought you meant Portal 2 would be a console port requiring a marginal system.

MustardJeep
04-04-2011, 08:36 AM
<quote>
Minecraft is very performance intensive for what it is. I blame notch for being a ♥♥♥♥ and abusing glclear.
</quote>

Thats why there is the unkillable hd minecraft rumor/joke/gag of minecraft with a much smaller footprint and much higher graphics.

TheJuraj
04-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Pentium 4 2Ghz master race.

Simian_
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Simian, I'm getting a 560, and I haven't seen these so called negative reviews you talk about..

"negative reviews"? Wut. First, the whole idea is naive. You're not going to find a lot of so-called "negative reviews" out there for expensive hardware like this because the sites doing these reviews get their hands on the product before anyone else does because the manufacturers give it to them early. Not sell, but give. That's free hardware before it is even out on the market. If any reviewer were to start giving out overtly negative reviews, they would suddenly find themselves without any free advance gifts of the latest gizmos. That would mean they'd not only have to wait for the products they review to hit the market (thus losing readers to the competition who already got the product from the manufacturer early) but they'd also have to pay money for it too.

So you can see there's not a lot of reviewers who are willing to give a "negative review" of something expensive like this. It's not an ideal arrangement, and reviewers are aware of this. They try to walk a thin line because they obviously don't want to hand out rave reviews for everything and lose the credibility of the readers.

Sleepykins
04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
well thing about whats needed to run valve games is, even if you need to upgrade, it won't cost you that much, isn't like you need tons of ram and a high end graphics card or processor, just "decent" stuff is more than capable of running the games on decent quality.