PDA

View Full Version : Models not showing up

JasperCF
04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I've got a fairly game breaking issue while playing on my computer: I can't see any models. No goats, no people, no dinosaurs, no guns. Even when I'm in third person, I can't see my own dino self. There is the occasional instance when I turn my body a certain way, I can get a mere glimpse of my model, but it ends quickly. Without seeing the models, the only kills I've gotten is due to seeing shadows of people.

When the beta first came up, it asked me if I wanted to associate alien swarm files (or something similar). As I don't play that game, I assumed the answer was no, and checked the box to have it not ask me again. Does this have anything to do with it?

http://imgur.com/a/zAVIT

c_b_fofep
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I've got a fairly game breaking issue while playing on my computer: I can't see any models. No goats, no people, no dinosaurs, no guns. Even when I'm in third person, I can't see my own dino self. There is the occasional instance when I turn my body a certain way, I can get a mere glimpse of my model, but it ends quickly. Without seeing the models, the only kills I've gotten is due to seeing shadows of people.

When the beta first came up, it asked me if I wanted to associate alien swarm files (or something similar). As I don't play that game, I assumed the answer was no, and checked the box to have it not ask me again. Does this have anything to do with it?

http://imgur.com/a/zAVIT

Yeah, I'd say that pretty much breaks the game! The Alien Swarm issue you got upon install shouldn't have anything to do with this error.

Does this happen every time you start Dino D-Day? Also, can you just create a server for yourself (Play Online - Create Server) and see if you can see your dino model in thirdperson?

JasperCF
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I'd say that pretty much breaks the game! The Alien Swarm issue you got upon install shouldn't have anything to do with this error.

Does this happen every time you start Dino D-Day? Also, can you just create a server for yourself (Play Online - Create Server) and see if you can see your dino model in thirdperson?
Every time. And I actually started off doing a server myself, that's how I noticed it: no dilophosaurus model while roaming the map and then no goats to pickup, despite hearing them everywhere. Was a sad, unsuccessful game of margoat polo. I figured it was because I wasn't online, but as soon as I joined any server, I found the same issue. It's rendering me quite distraught. I wanna be a ♥♥♥♥in' dino!

c_b_fofep
04-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Every time. And I actually started off doing a server myself, that's how I noticed it: no dilophosaurus model while roaming the map and then no goats to pickup, despite hearing them everywhere. Was a sad, unsuccessful game of margoat polo. I figured it was because I wasn't online, but as soon as I joined any server, I found the same issue. It's rendering me quite distraught. I wanna be a ♥♥♥♥in' dino!

Hmmm...what are your video settings? Specifically, what's in "Shader Detail", "Effect Detail", and "Model/Texture Detail"

Also, give me the specs on your machine...CPU, memory, video card...

jesterspawn
04-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Also, not that this has anything to do with your issue, but I wanted to say I gave you rep for "Margoat Polo." Nicely done.

JasperCF
04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Hmmm...what are your video settings? Specifically, what's in "Shader Detail", "Effect Detail", and "Model/Texture Detail"

Also, give me the specs on your machine...CPU, memory, video card...
I've tried shader detail and effect detail on low and medium settings, to no avail. I've tried model/texture detail on all settings, to no avail.

I'm playing on my laptop, so there's that, but I can play TF2 and CS with little to no problems on it.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz
2gb ram
Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M

Have tried several launch options, including dxlevel 8 and without a dxlevel. It's currently:
-novid -nosync -nojoy -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -windowed -novid -w 1024 -h 768 -refresh 120

My standard TF2 launch options, save for the lack of dxlevel.

Also, not that this has anything to do with your issue, but I wanted to say I gave you rep for "Margoat Polo." Nicely done.

Thanks for that haha.

c_b_fofep
04-06-2011, 10:43 PM
I've tried shader detail and effect detail on low and medium settings, to no avail. I've tried model/texture detail on all settings, to no avail.

I'm playing on my laptop, so there's that, but I can play TF2 and CS with little to no problems on it.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz
2gb ram
Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M

Have tried several launch options, including dxlevel 8 and without a dxlevel. It's currently:
-novid -nosync -nojoy -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -windowed -novid -w 1024 -h 768 -refresh 120

My standard TF2 launch options, save for the lack of dxlevel.

Thanks for that haha.

Try putting your Effect Detail on "High". Hopefully your frame rate holds up okay...other people with this similar problem have tried that and it worked.

Your systems specs look okay, you should be able to play the game.

JasperCF
04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Now I have intermittent models. A step in the right direction, but still have at least 75% of the time not seeing enemies.

EDIT: I've also found that it seems a bit light dependent.

c_b_fofep
04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Now I have intermittent models. A step in the right direction, but still have at least 75% of the time not seeing enemies.

EDIT: I've also found that it seems a bit light dependent.

Try just putting your Shader Detail on High as well. Also, your Model/Texture Detail. Again, the frame rate might be slow but if we can get the models to show at least that's a good clue as to what's happening. Also, it helps me isolate what could be some conflicts in the video settings with certain levels of hardware.

JasperCF
04-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, busy as usual.

The high setting for everything didn't work, nor did any combination of settings. Something else is amiss.

redgermor
04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I just want to mention I have had a similiar problem.
But I just got it once.
I just got the game so I don't know the map (snipey map, trains and watchtowers), but my models also disappeared there.

Played the map once, so maybe it was random and not map-related. But that was the only round I played where I couldn't see models like OP.

Core i5
dunno the mobo
4Gb RAM
HD5850

EDIT: And I have all settings maxed out, might be relevant