PDA

View Full Version : Mars colony/aliens

Wolfling
04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Hello,
I'm wondering if Mars colony does any good and if so, what do I need to utilize said good. So far I've always managed to found a colony, but it didn't bring any new possibilities I'd notice. Considering it's cost, it feels like a lot of wasted time and money.
Also, are there any aliens to be met? Does SETI bring anything?
Thanks.

SBytheway
04-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I think you need to found Mars before you can launch the space ship, but i'm not sure :L
As for aliens, there definately are some (i've met them a couple of times) but for me they've always gone silent after a couple of turns :'(
I'm interested to know it they actually DO anything...

User:Name
04-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Nope. The aliens always disappear and Mars does nothing. Presumably they will be expanded in future updates.

KVRadiation
04-06-2011, 07:52 AM
The aliens will arrive touting how they "...are of peace, always." Then will come the healing centers (no sickness in any region ever and maximum life span extended to the mid 100's), then they will give Earth blue energy (regional power needs will be met always), followed by the invasion fleet. It's all pretty epic.

Emmeralthius
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I've been holding back on this for fear of spoiling it to new players, but the tech system in 1.03 makes it next to impossible anyway, so: if you have 4th generation nukes and AIs in every region (but didn't have them when contact was first made), Earth and the aliens kill each other off. If you establish a Mars base on that same turn, you unlock The Long Watch.

The Long Watch is a 500-year mission set on Mars. The goal is to make yourself obsolete by terraforming the planet until humans can survive there unaided. (You can also resettle Earth, but by the time you have the tech you're pretty much swimming in the Hellas basin.) It has eleven decks to give proper importance to such things as robotics. The part I like best is the way Earth mechanics fit into their new uses: support becomes morale, emissions go from pollution into a vital part of geoengineering, and temperature has a lot more to do with the envinronment. And the ways the globe view changes? Gorgeous.

(Psst. Devs: the ice asteroid drop probabilities are still bugged.)

Jovinus
04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I Call bull :p Pics or it didn't happen!

Emmeralthius
04-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Didn't you know? You can't take screenshots of the game after AIs have been researched! They're jealous beasts, and won't allow you to spread word of what they consider their secrets. If they notice that you'll insist on trying, they'll escape fotw.exe and you have to hunt them down with your virus scanner.

It's with great personal risk that I have smuggled you these pictures:
1 (http://www.strategycore.co.uk/assets/images/games/ufo/afterlight/previews/ALgeoscape.jpg)
2 (http://lparchive.org/X-COM-UFO-Defense/Update%2059/23-xcom638.png)
3 (http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/381/Ultima%20-%20Worlds%20of%20Adventure%202%20-%20Martian%20Dreams_7.png)

Jovinus
04-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Ooh, I'll grant you those are good games. Afterligt, Xcom and... Is that worlds of Ultima?

Still, I hope the game gets moddable for stuff you described.

Wolfling
04-07-2011, 02:08 AM
I'd like to point out it's week -after- the 1st.

Grayscale
04-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Hush, the time travellers haven't realized their time machine is broken yet.