PDA

View Full Version : Spellforce 2 Doesn't load on Win7 32 bit

Ajores
04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
CD key page shows, hit play, steam says game is preparing to launch, window closes, game never shows up. No windows pop up, no black screen, just nothing. No error message even, game simply won't start.

Googling like problem has resulted in nothing, seems people with a similar problem to this haven't found any solutions yet. My friend has this game too, and he also is having the same problem. We both are running Win7 32 bit.

I'm looking for a simple answer, does this game run on windows 7? Who does have this game running on windows 7? Any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

I meet above and beyond the system specs; notably =
Nvidia 460 GTX
3.3 Quad
4 Gig DDR3
1TB HD

Thanks again!

poanoi
04-06-2011, 01:14 AM
The easiest way of course is dual boot with WinXP

Ajores
04-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. Mostly I just want to know specifically if this game is compatible with win7 or not. I know win7 isn't listed under the game specs, but that doesn't always mean the OS is the problem. I assume that win7 isn't compatible, but no forum post I have seen has someone said in plain English that that's true or not. So does it work for some people running win7? :confused:

poanoi
04-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Well at least some say they got it to work, check out official spellforce forum technical support.
Dunno bout SF2, but quite a few made it with SF1

Ajores
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Ok well, I was able to get the game to work. Not exactly sure if it's actual win7's fault or DX9, but here's what I did. Tried running the game in a few compatibility modes, which lead to a few different results without the game working, but made me think I was on the right trail. In the end, it wasn't actually just the compatibility mode that I had to fiddle with but also the screen resolution. So here's what you do:

- Find the root directory for your install(Steam\steamapps\common\spellforce 2 gold edition for most of us), and locate the spellforce2.exe.
- Right click, go to Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- In a box labeled compatibility mode, check the box and select in the scroll down menu Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
- Still under the Compatibility tab, but further down, is the settings box. check the box Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution. Hit apply and close the properties window.
- With compatibility mode on and a forced screen resolution, game should now start.

If anyone out there is still having an issue like I was, try changing the compatibility setting to a different version of windows or a different SP and see if that helps. Otherwise, at least for me, this seems to work thus far. Game crashed when I changed my in game resolution, but was fine once I reloaded it. Oh, you can launch the game through steam just fine. I also think this game might not like widescreen monitors, so that is easily as much a culprit as well. It's working on mine now though.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, and I'm not sure if this method is available to anyone without ultimate... but there it is! Will post back if this works on my friend's comp as well. Thanks for the help Poanoi :)

HippoMania
01-11-2012, 04:20 AM
@Ajores (if you still roam in here)

Did it fix the no-sound on movies? Let me know. Regards.

Hawkez
03-21-2012, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. Mostly I just want to know specifically if this game is compatible with win7 or not. So does it work for some people running win7? :confused:

My son and I both got it first try. Windows & specifically: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Neither of us have any issues. Do you have directX 9 installed? you can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displayLang=en&id=35 Windows 7 doesn't install it by default.

Could be one of the other MS runtimes that always install. Hope this helps you or someone else.

P.S. I didn't use ANY compatibility settings on our systems.

So to answer your question, it will work on Windows 7. Should be easier to get going on 32 bit I would think.

City Builder
03-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Works fine on my Windows 7 64bit installation. The editor on the other hand doesn't seem to work.

Garath
06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Hey. I can't get it to launch either. I'm on a vista OS. I have tried changing the compatability like described in an earlier post but it doesn't offer me service pack 3 for XP, only service pack 2. Is this why it still won't work and how do i get a compatability option of service pack 3?.
After changing the resolution i now actually get a response when attempting to start the game, but it still doesn't start at all.

anakha7
06-22-2012, 08:11 PM
everyone it finally just worked, the problem lies not with the game but something to do with steam app, it was caused ( at least for me) by the spellforce 2 folder in my document, i kept unistalling steam app and reinstalling the game and finally after seeing the last post i deleted the folder inside my document also previously enable under regedit (see previous post) as it was restricted and then ran steam app, the app then hanged, as such did ctrl=alt=del opened task manager and terminated steam app deleted valve under redgedit.exe and force steam app to terminate.

after that i reinstalled steam app then game and now it works also under my documents folder there is no spell force2 folder or steam folder, i suspect the problem was that it installed in the wrong location.

i got to admit this is one really annoying app, got to credit the jokers who actually made the app, somehow they made the app which conflicts with everything and has quite a number of massive issues, see and check all the troubleshooting as well

Pain_less
06-23-2012, 07:18 AM
FYI:

If you have Spellforce 2 Gold, what's happening is that this new Standalone addon uses the same folder in your "My Documents" to save the config and save games. Trouble is the two games don't like each other.

So if you have Spellforce Gold save games saved, I would rename the folder and re-start Destiny. It will create a folder for itself and all will be good.

You will not be able to play the two games with out re-naming the folders back and forth.

anakha7
06-23-2012, 09:06 AM
everyone it finally just worked, the problem lies not with the game but something to do with steam app, it was caused ( at least for me) by the spellforce 2 folder in my document, i kept unistalling steam app and reinstalling the game and finally after seeing the last post i deleted the folder inside my document also previously enable under regedit (see previous post) as it was restricted and then ran steam app, the app then hanged, as such did ctrl=alt=del opened task manager and terminated steam app deleted valve under redgedit.exe and force steam app to terminate.

after that i reinstalled steam app then game and now it works also under my documents folder there is no spell force2 folder or steam folder, i suspect the problem was that it installed in the wrong location.

i got to admit this is one really annoying app, got to credit the jokers who actually made the app, somehow they made the app which conflicts with everything and has quite a number of massive issues, see and check all the troubleshooting as well

FYI:

If you have Spellforce 2 Gold, what's happening is that this new Standalone addon uses the same folder in your "My Documents" to save the config and save games. Trouble is the two games don't like each other.

So if you have Spellforce Gold save games saved, I would rename the folder and re-start Destiny. It will create a folder for itself and all will be good.

You will not be able to play the two games with out re-naming the folders back and forth.

ok kinda figured it out, whichever genius created the steam app has to be highly commended as u CANNOT specify where to install the game, if someone can help out in this it is very helpfull

both spellforce 2 Gold & FID is install in the same folder in my documents and that is what creating the conflict moreover it seems that on top of it both games uses config.xml---}can anyone see where this is headed.

it clashes and u will have problem if u rotate between gold and FID.

i managed to fix the resolution to widescreen on gold 1920x1080 but guess what i then made the mistake of trying to double check with FID thus problem was back to square 1

every single installer on the face of the entire universe has the ability to specify where to install the game but NOT STEAM APP

guys here is where the problem seems to arise, try deleting the config.xml folder and start gold then delete config.xml under my documents then del config.xml then start FID u will then see config.xml recreated again under my doc in the same said folder HENCE the non stop issue plaguing some of us, i am trying to copy the contents and install it on another part to see if the issue can be rectified

need to find a way to enable spellforce 2 gold to read from a seperate folder and get the steam app to actually run it without error, guys im not angry with anyone but just truly annoyed at this marvel of nature

Pain_less the problem is that the config.xml is recreated in the same folder as FID no matter what u do

anakha7
06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
ok kinda figured it out, whichever genius created the steam app has to be highly commended as u CANNOT specify where to install the game, if someone can help out in this it is very helpfull

both spellforce 2 Gold & FID is install in the same folder in my documents and that is what creating the conflict moreover it seems that on top of it both games uses config.xml---}can anyone see where this is headed.

it clashes and u will have problem if u rotate between gold and FID.

i managed to fix the resolution to widescreen on gold 1920x1080 but guess what i then made the mistake of trying to double check with FID thus problem was back to square 1

every single installer on the face of the entire universe has the ability to specify where to install the game but NOT STEAM APP

guys here is where the problem seems to arise, try deleting the config.xml folder and start gold then delete config.xml under my documents then del config.xml then start FID u will then see config.xml recreated again under my doc in the same said folder HENCE the non stop issue plaguing some of us, i am trying to copy the contents and install it on another part to see if the issue can be rectified

need to find a way to enable spellforce 2 gold to read from a seperate folder and get the steam app to actually run it without error, guys im not angry with anyone but just truly annoyed at this marvel of nature

Pain_less the problem is that the config.xml is recreated in the same folder as FID no matter what u do

If anyone has both FID and Gold one possible way to get gold to automatically use the highest settings and to get 1920x1080 on a widescreen is to the following in order

preface:
a. delete Gold from Steam App and redownload, then goto my documents folder under spellforce2 and delete the config.xml
b.redownload and install Gold
c.whilst installing Gold see 1 below

1. run FID then goto options--}u will see if your sys can run it on the highest specs and it is also 1920x1080. after that click ok then quit
2. right click on the config.xml in the my documents folder under spellforce 2 the goto properties then see under security tab, right below the object name is group & usernames, click on edit when your cursor is on system.
3.under permission for system click on the deny write box then click apply then ok, then start Gold, u should have it working under full 1920x1080 with specs from FID and even after u quit n restart the game wont be able to rewrite on the file

BUT do not run both games simultaneously, i deleted the config.xml and did the entire process whilst downloading gold and was able to keep reentering at 1920x1080 at the deafult highest value

prior to it the gold detects and sets for my pc the optimal settings at the lowest whereas for FID it is at the highest, try it out and post the feedback, finsh gold if u want to play first then go onto FID otherwise u will have problem starting the game

if u use notepad on config.xml u will see that it is at the highest settings

tqs pain_less for the input earlier

Pain_less
06-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Question... How does deleting Gold and re-downloading Gold have any affect on your instructions above?

You should be able to just run FID, write protect the config and then carry on.

Just wondering.