PDA

View Full Version : HDMI black border & VGA port

TheOrgazoid
04-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Hi, I recently recived my new ASUS 21.5" monitor, The problem is that it doesn't support DVI, only HDMI and VGA, so my first question is which is better, HDMI or VGA. I probably won't care about the sound from HDMI too much, I just care about the image. Secondly when I try to use VGA it is undetected, I have to use a converter for VGA to DVI. Finally when using HDMI, I get a black border around my screen about 1 inch thick I tried using scaling options in CCC up they appear to be locked?

YahooElite
04-06-2011, 01:29 AM
HDMI is the same as DVI but with sound, so its really up to what you want to use..

cant really comment on the ATI aspect, but im using VGA instead of HDMI due to color issues.

HDMI may have a crisper image, but theres not much diffy imo, VGA still looks great.

and using a VGA to DVI adapter, ur still getting VGA quality.

Sleepy Ben
04-06-2011, 01:33 AM
I tried HDMI with my PC to compare the two (and because I occasionally hook my PC up to a bigger 32" TV screen through HDMI) - same card same 24" monitor - the HDMI connection was noticeably softer or less sharp than the DVI input. Not sure about fixing the border problem as I have Nvidia.

Since it's a new monitor cannot you simply ask to return it and change it for a different model? DVI really is the best option for a PC monitor.

BuckALE
04-06-2011, 01:59 AM
as already mentioned, DVI and HDMI are directly compatible. Get a DVI to HDMI adapter.

There are no good reasons to choose analog over any Digital interfaces. VGA exists nowadays purely for the purposes of backwards compatibility. Always choose a digital interface when the option is available.

but im using VGA instead of HDMI due to color issues.

You have color calibration issues. Due either to a screwy settings on the panel itself, or in the graphics drivers. can also be caused by crappy cables and adapters too.

Make sure that your panel/s are correctly identified by the system as well. Get/install the monitor inf drivers if they exist.

the HDMI connection was noticeably softer or less sharp than the DVI input.

You're either seeing/imagining it, or you had a crappy cable/adapter. Sorry if this comes off sounding snotty but, HDMI and DVI-D use the exact same digital signaling, so sans any outside differences, they will look exactly the same.

ETA - the border means scaling isn't working as expected. preferably, GPU scaling should be enabled in CCC, but check the monitor's menu options to ensure it's set to scale and not used fixed (or centered) values. AND, set it to the correct resolution (should be 1920X1080 for you, possibly 1920X1200, depends on the screen)

TheOrgazoid
04-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I have fixed my problem (black line) still looks crisp, but this is my first 1920x1080 monitor, so it may just be that. Still is there any point for HDMI audio? I use my headset anyway...

Akuthia
04-06-2011, 06:11 AM
if you're running your pc to a TV or a/v receiver then yes, hdmi is nice, otherwise, not really