PDA

View Full Version : Will subtitles be sold as a DLC, or what?

megamadmax
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Title says it all. In addition to my complain about the removal of Spanish language support, I find the lack of any kind of subtitles even worse. I've seen a post about many deaf or have deaf people also complaining about this, got no dev response.
What's the goal of the beta test? Just an encovered demo? Do you measure the feedback you receive with a earnings/profit calculator, or what happens?

VoodooVyper
04-06-2011, 11:59 AM
With the way EA has evolved their nickel & dime-ing strategy, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they sold subtitles as dlc :D.

skiddlywibble
04-06-2011, 01:38 PM
With the way EA has evolved their nickel & dime-ing strategy, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they sold subtitles as dlc :D.

I was going to say something witty about that, but it's pretty much spot on as it is. Irritating wa-erm, bankers.

armyfreak221
04-07-2011, 04:58 AM

this :p

l3reak
04-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Just so everyone knows, I'm not sure what the status of the Spanish localization is, but for the German, Polish, Russian, and French versions it's fully voiced in that language.

michael042296
04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Just so everyone knows, I'm not sure what the status of the Spanish localization is, but for the German, Polish, Russian, and French versions it's fully voiced in that language.

Exactly, and remember these things take time.

megamadmax
04-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Thanks for response. Anyway, you don't say nothing about subtitles (there's not any official statement about that) and well, hearing from a dev or EA member that you not sure about the Spanish localitzation status is kinda weird.

Since you had supported the language before, the website has half support of that language, but beta is not in spanish, looks like you removed it.
Nobody knows that for clear, so spanish customers can't really make a decision about buying the game or not without knowing those facts for sure. Really you should say something about if there will be any subtitles or not, cause at least in my country, the last untranslated and unsubtitled game was probably sold on year 1990....

Brackwater
04-09-2011, 06:06 AM
I feel the need to stress what megamadmax said about deaf people and add some other aspects of why I think games nowadays should have subtitles.

When you're battling hordes of monsters and suddenly a voice tells you something about the area you're at, you tend to only understand half of what she's saying. This gets even worse when you use voice chat for coop.

This gets even worse as you can't even adjust the ingame voice volume in the options, I mean, what's the voice? SFX, music or ambience? Or none of those?

A lack of video replayability makes it important that you get everything right away aswell, and subtitles can definitely help with that.

On that note, why isn't there a place where you can watch unlocked cutscenes? Expecially when playing coop, people tend to expect you to cut the chase and get into the game. You wouldn't have to have the intro unskippable in that case either (if the reason for that is that you don't want people to miss it) because people could watch it afterwards.

TL;DR: Subtitles are important for deaf people and also for non deaf people in acoustically challenging parts of the game as differenciating between optical information is easier than between acoustic information. Voice is not adjustable on its own and there should be a place to watch unlocked videos.

l3reak
04-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Subtitles are something they are working on, and I highly, highly doubt they're something that will be sold. Extremely unlikely.

Brackwater
04-09-2011, 07:39 AM
and I highly, highly doubt they're something that will be sold. Extremely unlikely.

So do I and probably even the OP. Anything on the Video Vault, though? Maybe even have a panorama place (at the universe screen probably) where you can watch the little tidbits the AI gives you in game with a little fly over of the area.

I'm just saying, the lore kind of gets lost in the hectic gameplay (due to rushing to get the 10 minute gold medal). It would be nice to get the lore afterwards once unlocked.

And I know it has been neglected a lot in recent years, but is having a seperate volume for voice really that hard to implement?

l3reak
04-09-2011, 07:55 AM
So do I and probably even the OP. Anything on the Video Vault, though? Maybe even have a panorama place (at the universe screen probably) where you can watch the little tidbits the AI gives you in game with a little fly over of the area.

I'm just saying, the lore kind of gets lost in the hectic gameplay (due to rushing to get the 10 minute gold medal).

This is a sentiment I definitely agree with. During the first several Beta sessions I thought the game just had a completely worthless plot, backstory, and lore. Since then, after talking with people from the community and asking questions about things that didn't make sense to me, and taking more time to carefully watch & listen to the videos, I've realized that it's a lot better than I thought. I mean, it's certainly not the biggest feature of the game, and nothing like a game with a really big story like a Bioware RPG, but it's hard to tell that it's even worth looking at when you're playing with friends and you'd rather just rush past the cutscene and get to the gameplay. ;) I doubt it would be hard to implement some kind of "Video Vault". The files for the movies are right there in the game directory, and if you unpack the data you can just play them in VLC or whatever. It would take some work to build the UI elements, but it should be possible.

And I know it has been neglected a lot in recent years, but is having a seperate volume for voice really that hard to implement?

I do think that the devs are aware of this issue. It might not make it to the release version, but if not, it's probably one of the things that will be added shortly afterwards.

amcdermo
04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I like subtitles. It means I can definitely know what is being said so I can really get into the lore. This game has a wonderful premise and immersion I want to experience fully.

megamadmax
04-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I feel the need to stress what megamadmax said about deaf people and add some other aspects of why I think games nowadays should have subtitles.

When you're battling hordes of monsters and suddenly a voice tells you something about the area you're at, you tend to only understand half of what she's saying. This gets even worse when you use voice chat for coop.

This gets even worse as you can't even adjust the ingame voice volume in the options, I mean, what's the voice? SFX, music or ambience? Or none of those?

A lack of video replayability makes it important that you get everything right away aswell, and subtitles can definitely help with that.

On that note, why isn't there a place where you can watch unlocked cutscenes? Expecially when playing coop, people tend to expect you to cut the chase and get into the game. You wouldn't have to have the intro unskippable in that case either (if the reason for that is that you don't want people to miss it) because people could watch it afterwards.

TL;DR: Subtitles are important for deaf people and also for non deaf people in acoustically challenging parts of the game as differenciating between optical information is easier than between acoustic information. Voice is not adjustable on its own and there should be a place to watch unlocked videos.

Well, that's exactly what happens to me. I can easily understand english, but even if it was with my mothertongue (spanish), when I'm fighting, using skills, hearing many FX etc I miss half of what Hellix says.

I understand some words but it has no sense at all.
Now I'm replaying levels and trying to concentrate not using skills or moving apart from enemies when Helix talks, so I can totally understand it. Till now darkspore's history was kinda surrealistic for me, since I did only get half of its meaning.

With subtitles I don't tend to fully read every phrase while playing, but just a fast look at them and I can understand any voice.
On the other side let me say I hope you make localized subtitles for the rest of languages, in the case of spanish it will be even more needed since it looks like they removed their language/dubbing support, also if you make them for other languages (I heard a dutch complaining about same thing) which won't have dubbed voices, it will be really thanked, and of course the game will be more sold.

provitiligo
04-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Totally agree with megamadmax. Same story here - know English pretty well, but it's hard to understand what computerized voices say even on native language, which is Russian in my case.

LucianDK
04-17-2011, 07:27 AM
I hope they are serious about implementing subtitles. The spoken voice are pretty much gibberish to me, being severely hearing impaired.

l3reak
04-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I hope they are serious about implementing subtitles. The spoken voice are pretty much gibberish to me, being severely hearing impaired.

I can totally sympathize with you. Growing up, my Dad was pretty much deaf in one ear, and the other one wasn't much better, and now one of my ears is going, too. Not just me, either; one of the actual developers for the game says he has a deaf/bad ear, too. We definitely understand why subs are needed, and we are taking it seriously. Don't worry, it'll come! :)

crowell00
04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks , I have about 0 clue what the story is so far

megamadmax
04-26-2011, 04:24 AM
So even i still have not my cd key since im steam european user, I can acces the options menu, and I see no subtitles option!!!!
Could anyone confirm if there are any subtitles available?
Been ultra fooled or what the hell?!?

LucianDK
04-26-2011, 04:25 AM
So even i still have not my cd key since im steam european user, I can acces the options menu, and I see no subtitles option!!!!
Could anyone confirm if there are any subtitles available?
Been ultra fooled or what the hell?!?

I am worried about that too, ive checked the EU client as well, No -subs-. This is severely disappointing, Maxis.

megamadmax
04-26-2011, 04:44 AM
Well if no subtitles on release, you have not dealt fairly with customers, and of course if i've owned a witness buffet you would get some demand or whatever xD, you deserve it.
There has been a discussion about subtitles for months, and no official answer from maxis devs, but all of the moderators or admins were sayin they were almost sure it would come.
I have asked many times about this, about the spanish localitzation and other things, and you just made customers think all that would probably come, without confirming 100%.
Then when game is released nothin of those is inside the game, this is false advertising, and looks like you don't matter the players opinion once you got the sales.

Gryffin
04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
This is strange. Hopefully they'll release a patch offering subtitles for Non-English speakers or the deaf.

megamadmax
04-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Maybe the answer to my original post, is simply no. Subtitles won't be sold as DLC. Not available. With some luck, they will be auctioned via ebay or something, fits more with their style.

Zorlac
04-26-2011, 09:43 AM

And we now present you with a $4 hat for your robot in Co-op portal!!!! (In other words dont' knock EA while supporting valve for the same thing).