PDA

View Full Version : any persistence in Nuclear Dawn

ludovaliseek
04-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Hello all,

This game looks great, I will go for it in September. I have some questions though... will this game have any kind of persistence after each battle? I mean, will your win/losses have any consequence in anything bigger like a "global war between factions" or a "persistent map"? Im thinking in something similar to PlanetSide or AvA in Global Agenda. If this is not planned for the release it will be a nice improvement for the game in the future.

More questions :) Will there be any kind of progression, XP or unlock system for the characters to get better eqquipement, gear etc?. Do you know how many players does each faction hold per game?. How much time does a regular match take?.

Cheers.

tschumann
04-08-2011, 04:32 PM
The first dot point has some info: http://www.nucleardawnthegame.com/blog/post/102/nuclear-dawn-fact-sheet-ii-featured-features

Orange Ninja
04-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Hello all,

This game looks great, I will go for it in September. I have some questions though... will this game have any kind of persistence after each battle? I mean, will your win/losses have any consequence in anything bigger like a "global war between factions" or a "persistent map"? Im thinking in something similar to PlanetSide or AvA in Global Agenda. If this is not planned for the release it will be a nice improvement for the game in the future.

More questions :) Will there be any kind of progression, XP or unlock system for the characters to get better eqquipement, gear etc?. Do you know how many players does each faction hold per game?. How much time does a regular match take?.

Cheers.

I don't think you have the right ideas about this game at all! Nuclear Dawn is not an MMO, let alone an MMORPG; it's a FPS+RTS blend, so more like BF2142 than PlanetSide.

There will unlikely be any persistent worlds/stories
Yep, there will be progression in the form of weapon/equipment unlocks (like BF2). Gaining XP is shown in some of the screenshots (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150135430724405&set=a.459184934404.246527.154008824404&theater)/trailer (http://youtu.be/WTaf-vQ7LwM) that have been released (it's actually something I don't really like, but we'll see)
Each faction will have 16 players (there has been talk of 32 vs 32 battles, but there hasn't been any new info on that)
I'll leave the match duration question for the people who know.

FlyingMongoose
04-09-2011, 03:08 AM
I believe it was very early on pointed out that weapon unlocks and upgrades do more of an aesthetics/function change but are still intended to be thoroughly balanced, basically "the dude with all the uber-unlocks" still is susceptible to the "guy who hasn't been playing very long", so long as that guy plays well. I think someone said somewhere that most unlocks will be closer to "nifty gifts" for the dedicated player, they'll give some perks, but take away from other things (like how TF2 does with some of it's weapons).

Seeing as this is a source engine game with modification I can see a number of possibilities for match duration/setups, here's the list:
Time Limit - would be a server set time limit with allowance to end rounds before a map change (like TF2 and CSS)
Win Limit - A team reaches maximum number of wins map changes
Win Difference - A team is beating the other team by a large enough margin map changes
Kill Limit - Probably disabled in this game but it's a default source engine functionality; it was in place for DM style games.
Round Limit - Maximum number of rounds per map, once last round is played map changes (this is probably the most likely implementation for a game like this), probably defaulted to 2 rounds (this is similar to Battlefield style).
Whether there is a "ticketing" system (BF2, BFBC2, BF2142, BF1942, Insurgency, the list goes on), I don't think there's a word on that yet.