PDA

View Full Version : IT BURNS (the horror)

freeyourmind775
04-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Usually, I don't complain about a bad game, BUT WHAT IN THE ****!

This game looks like a horrible combination of Flash and Alice 3. And the concept is stolen almost straight from katamari. The upbeat music is nice, but if your looking at this game for any reason beyond the potato sack from steam, DO NOT BUY IT.

Go buy katamari.

in.meinem.turm.
04-10-2011, 06:18 AM
I did buy it and I love it. What's wrong about the graphics? Seriously. I don't know.

tratan3
04-10-2011, 11:03 AM
The graphical style is unique and varied, every level looks kinda different (some are really special, like Arcadia)

It's true the concept is from Katamari. If Katamari had been released on PC I might not have bought this in the first place. However, having had both games for a couple years now, I play this one far more often than Katamari!

This is a really nice game if you give it a chance (:

freeyourmind775
04-10-2011, 11:21 AM
The game looks unfinished, and like it was assembled with Alice and flash. Thats my biggest problem. It looks like it literally was thrown together in about a month.

in.meinem.turm.
04-10-2011, 11:35 AM
The game looks unfinished, and like it was assembled with Alice and flash. Thats my biggest problem. It looks like it literally was thrown together in about a month.

You obviously never made a game yourself.

Amander
04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I can't agree to the thread. The game's great and even if it's the Katamari concept, so what? Not all of us have a PS around.

poorrichard
04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
My only problem with this game (and all it's developer's games) is that they are all highly unstable on my system.

Helmholz
04-15-2011, 03:08 PM
The game sucks. It's a weak and poorly pieced-together ripoff of a popular and well-built title. End of story.

Sonris89
04-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Dispite its cheap production value I found some enjoyment in it. I liked the game it was based off of by my PS2 is dead, so this is the best I can do for the PC far as I can tell. Only complaint is the resoultion seems off and half the screen is cut off making it impossible to see what I need in what level or read text.

freeyourmind775
04-15-2011, 08:27 PM
You obviously never made a game yourself.

Actually, I've made a few games by myself (mostly flash), and I'm currently working on my own indie game.

I have a degree in game design, which is partly why this game bothers me so much. It has many flaws that would have EASILY been fixed with just some additional work or foresight.

Jip_Bip_Jo
04-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Listen to the music in the main menu.

The girl is controlling a puppet essentially. She views the world with as much realism as we view a video game. The use of simplistic animation and models is an artistic decision highlighting the disconnect between the deity and the world she's saving. We view the matchsticks, bottles and fruit as a means to an end - to get bigger and able to absorb more stuff. So too are humans - the fine details on them are lost. They're tools, and we pay little attention to their reactions as the world around them is consumed. The world is not ignorant of this deity either - a billboard asks if you have seen the girl, with a portrait.

The deity goes from location to location, picking out items that suit her whimsy. Some levels see us roaming neighbourhoods, picking up people and houses. Others see us hoarding candy. Additionally, it's not an organized collection. It's grabbing as much as one can as quickly as one can, with a predilection towards hurried stomping. Compare this to the biblical depiction of the apocalypse wherein there is an orderly process by which souls are judged, individually.

We also see the merit literature holds for the controller of our collection puppet. So what is this really? The abstract view of a deity? Hallucinations at the brink of death from a teenage librarian, recollecting the things she loves? It would explain the seeming non-sequitur of presences like dinosaurs in suburbia, or monsters in the big city. Are there actually monsters destroying the world? When so many levels seem to occur in locations grounded in the real world, what does the video game level mean? Is it a genuine apocalypse the world faces, or is the end a more personal, private affair, the flickers of a dying youth, existing solely in her mind?

If you're unwilling to interpret a game from an artistic viewpoint, then I must point to you as the reason why games are rarely looked at as art.

You must become a Pretentious Indie Gamer, or PIG.

in.meinem.turm.
04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Actually, I've made a few games by myself (mostly flash), and I'm currently working on my own indie game.

than I hope you will make an even better game than this.

Dr. Weird
04-17-2011, 09:16 PM
While I DO have a very low opinion of this game as I own Katamari Damacy, I am simply going to urge everyone who wants to defend this to try Katamari first. There's no need to argue: play Katamari and then try to defend this game without knowing that you're wrong to do so.

dementedlullaby
04-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Can't agree either. While it is a massive rip of Katamari I thought it was done well enough. Quite liked the Arcadia level.

tratan3
04-17-2011, 10:52 PM
While I DO have a very low opinion of this game as I own Katamari Damacy, I am simply going to urge everyone who wants to defend this to try Katamari first. There's no need to argue: play Katamari and then try to defend this game without knowing that you're wrong to do so.

Did someone deny that this game is based on Katamari? What element of this game are we wrong to defend, just because Katamari exists?

I played the first Katamari first, and it's pretty great. The Wonderful End Of The World is also great. It has certain advantages, and disadvantages when compared to Katamari. They each have a unique style; I like both.

Not everybody's going to have a PS2 and find a used copy of Katamari Damacy to compare the two, though. Your suggestion is unrealistic and rather insulting.

Amander
04-18-2011, 12:11 AM
While I DO have a very low opinion of this game as I own Katamari Damacy, I am simply going to urge everyone who wants to defend this to try Katamari first. There's no need to argue: play Katamari and then try to defend this game without knowing that you're wrong to do so.Can you give us a link to how get Katamari for Windows? If not, stop urging.

Dr. Weird
04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
If you try to play Katamari on a PC, you'll kind of defeat the purpose, but ever hear of an emulator? http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/ps2/
My point is that if you haven't played both games, you really don't have a right to defend this one.

Amander
04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
If you try to play Katamari on a PC, you'll kind of defeat the purpose, but ever hear of an emulator? http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/ps2/
My point is that if you haven't played both games, you really don't have a right to defend this one.My point is that you don't have the right to bash this one because it shares the game principle.

Dr. Weird
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm not bashing it because it ripped off the same core mechanic, I'm bashing it because it's uglier, the music is much less enjoyable, the levels are less interesting, and the gameplay wears on one's finger. Among other things.

Amander
04-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm not bashing it because it ripped off the same core mechanic, I'm bashing it because it's uglier, the music is much less enjoyable, the levels are less interesting, and the gameplay wears on one's finger. Among other things.Whatever. This game is available, Katamari isn't.