PDA

View Full Version : Steam on Satellite Internet

itzzquang
04-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi. I'm on Hughesnet satellite internet since I live in the middle of nowhere. When I first got the internet, I could use Steam with it (except for playing online games) even with the intensive lag.

Then there was an update for Steam and now I can't even log in. The wrong login message only comes up when I dont give the right login but when I do give the right login, I get a message saying "Could not connect to Steam Network. This could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the Steam network."

Shouldn't it connect even though the ping is over a second? I can't even play Gmod or Peggle.

Btw, if you're thinking of getting satellite internet, stick with DSL or cable instead of paying $80 a month for half the speed with a bandwidth limit.

Gentle
04-10-2011, 05:17 PM
If you have a firewall, you may need to tell it that your Steam has been updated.

A firewall is meant to protect you when a program is changed.

Name your firewall and someone here may be able to give you help.

Gentle

Ettanin
04-10-2011, 05:23 PM
If i were you, i'd go back to 56k/ISDN. Since you can't play online anyway, it won't change much.

It's slower, yes, but much more reliable.

Sattelite internet has very poor support.

itzzquang
04-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I opened up DMZ on my Netgear router and I don't have a firewall on my computer since I scan it every night and I have Nod32.

If i were you, i'd go back to 56k/ISDN. Since you can't play online anyway, it won't change much.

It's slower, yes, but much more reliable.

Sattelite internet has very poor support.
I'd rather not go dialup because I love my fast internet even though it has a bandwidth limit. Farm life ftw.

TheMG
04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
My guess... something the ISP is doing is messing with Steam.

It's possible that the update changed something which now causes Steam to be false-flagged by the ISP's aggressive traffic shaping practices.

itzzquang
04-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Is there anyway I can play Gmod without Steam? It sucks that I've got a bunch of games in my account but I can't get to them.

pokedex2536
04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Is there anyway I can play Gmod without Steam? It sucks that I've got a bunch of games in my account but I can't get to them.

Nope, Garry's mod is a steam exclusive game.. Sorry..

Zora-Link
04-11-2011, 07:11 PM

You could start Steam in offline mode, if it won't give you the option when connected to the internet, simply temporarily disconnect your internet, start it up in offline mode, then reconnect.