PDA

View Full Version : Need MAC Addres!

Lister of Smeg
04-11-2011, 03:25 AM
Yo,

I've moved out of my house and disconnected my net. Now my mate who lives in that house wants Sky Broadband but they need my mac address. However; I've spoken with Virgin & they say because my net has being disconnected there is no MAC address to give them? Really?

Sky are telling my mate they cannot setup the broadband without this MAC Code. Going in a loop here. What's the crack? Are Virgin telling the truth or Sky being anal?

Cheers

i9urd
04-11-2011, 03:42 AM
Since when do Sky use cable for their broadband?

Sky are being asses. Getting internet down a cable line is completely seperate from getting internet down a phone line. I've never actually had a non-cable ISP so never had to deal with this nonsense.

Try going to cmd and typing ipconfig on his main computer then give them the Physical address that appears there.

DARKNIGHT
04-11-2011, 03:44 AM
I think they need the mac adress of your friends modem so they can enable the service on that connection.

Lister of Smeg
04-11-2011, 04:08 AM
Since when do Sky use cable for their broadband?

Sky are being asses. Getting internet down a cable line is completely seperate from getting internet down a phone line. I've never actually had a non-cable ISP so never had to deal with this nonsense.

Try going to cmd and typing ipconfig on his main computer then give them the Physical address that appears there.

Apologies, it was Virgin National which uses a BT Line.

It's not the local MAC Address, but the server side they say cannot access as the net has now being disconnected!

i9urd
04-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Apologies, it was Virgin National which uses a BT Line.

It's not the local MAC Address, but the server side they say cannot access as the net has now being disconnected!

Oh right. Well I've heard that when you disconnect BT likes to shut off their phone lines so you need to pay to get it reconnected. But that would only apply if you also told BT to disconnect your phone I suppose.

YahooElite
04-11-2011, 06:34 AM
If they are asking for your motherboards MAC Address, it could be for some security purpose, but honestly ive never heard of an ISP requiring a MAC Address.

Now needing the Modem information so they can register it, sure thats normal.. but a Motherboard MAC Address is unheard of.

GamerKid1989
04-11-2011, 07:20 AM
ISP's need all MAC addresses on any modems, do that they can enable the connection through their systems. With most ISP's they will ban an unknown ISP withing a few days, so it is very important to give them it before hookup.

BuckALE
04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
ISP's need all MAC addresses on any modems, do that they can enable the connection through their systems. With most ISP's they will ban an unknown ISP withing a few days, so it is very important to give them it before hookup.

They shouldn't need (or care about) the MAC of anything but the modem/gateway. Very few ISP's do client MAC registration now, that I know of. I'm not in the UK though so, I have no idea about this particular place.

I'm not sure why they should need a MAC of any of your equipment to start him new service. He needs his own cable modem (either buy it privately, or obtain it from them), and maybe the MAC of his own router or PC. Depends on what equipment he has.

PinkPonies93
04-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Hrmm there should be a macdonalds near you just drive around until you find one. dw about the address..

Jbotski
04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Dude just get a PC. Oh you were talking about something else... I'll just... Eh... Heh... Ummm... Leave now...

Reinholder
04-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Yo,

I've moved out of my house and disconnected my net. Now my mate who lives in that house wants Sky Broadband but they need my mac address. However; I've spoken with Virgin & they say because my net has being disconnected there is no MAC address to give them? Really?

Sky are telling my mate they cannot setup the broadband without this MAC Code. Going in a loop here. What's the crack? Are Virgin telling the truth or Sky being anal?

Cheers

Virgin has to release the phone line to be available for broadband providers within two weeks by law. so it's in the hands of virgin. think of it as a handshake protocol.

Darkravenbw
04-11-2011, 02:23 PM
To everyone in the thread... wrong type of MAC you are thinking of Media Access Control address

in reference to broadband its Migration Access Code.

http://www.maccode.org.uk/

:)

Regards
Raven

Timerider42
04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I've never actually had a non-cable ISP so never had to deal with this nonsense.

Lucky son of a-

nevann
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
To everyone in the thread... wrong type of MAC you are thinking of Media Access Control address

Regards
Raven

I was about to post this. Can't believe it took this long for someone to point that out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Authorisation_Code

Michaeloohra
04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Yo,

Cheers

If I understand correctly, simply enter this command in a CMD prompt.

ipconfig/all

The Physical Address is your Mac address. It NEVER goes away. at least not that I've heard...:confused:

I'll assume you know nothing about computers, not as an insult, but to be thorough:

to get the Command Prompt open:

Hold down the 'Windows key' (it has the windows-flag on it) and hit the letter 'R'
Next, enter 'CMD' into the run box. If you get a message about administration, let me know. You shouldn't, but it has happened.

EDIT: lol Sorry I forgot the easier way to open a CMD window.
Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.
Sorry again, our work computers don't have Mice, so I'm not used to doing it that way. But the command will still work
ipconfig/all

Good luck!

Michaeloohra
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Regards
Raven

lol Note to self, Read the whole thread first :(

Timerider42
04-11-2011, 06:38 PM
BTW, topic creator has an awesome name.
Probably only like 7 people on these forums will get the reference.