PDA

View Full Version : I spy with my little I.. a crappy PS3 port!

xTaz81x
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
So, the game called MLB 2k10, I'm sure you've heard of it. The first thing I notice: Loading data... don't touch the Power or RESET buttons... both from PS3. My PC doesn't have a reset button.
Oh, and it has PS3 button map icons in the menus..... Horrible horrible horrible. Don't buy it if you like fun.
I'm not against ports. But if they're done like this... no thanks.

EDIT: In my massive headache I used I in the wrong way in the title... sorry :O

Spykirby
04-11-2011, 02:30 PM
aslong as the menu's are easy to navigate it doesn't matter O__o
try burnout :P u gotta press ESC and then hit one of the F keys twice, and then select quit to get out of the game :O

ALG ( ε )
04-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Your PC doesn't have a reset button?
Are you from the future or something?

Where I come from we have a Power and Reset button on our PCs

Talaron
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Your PC doesn't have a reset button?
Are you from the future or something?

Where I come from we have a Power and Reset button on our PCs

Some modern PCs don't have reset buttons any more, as it isn't used very often and you still can force shutdown the PC holding the power button and then press it again to turn it on.

But what I think he meant is that no normal user would just turn off his PC while playing a game. This is a typical sign of a console port, although also many good ports still show this message. In my opinion, this is just a cosmetical issue I can easily condone if other things like controls or graphic settings are ported well.

seseorang
04-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Cheap chassis don't have a reset button. I use some old Dell Gateways and they don't have a reset button. Otherwise all my computer except my latop has a reset button

PieceOfMind
04-12-2011, 12:20 AM
If there's one thing I usually appreciate about console ports it's that they make sure fonts are large and easibly readable in-game (because people generally sit further from their TV sets than they do of PC monitors). Games developed solely for PC are more likely to make the mistake of having annoyingly small font sizes that can't be changed (I'm looking at you, EVE Online)

The main nuisance with console ports is usually the transition from thumb-sticks to mouse inputs.

The issues raised by the OP are frankly easy to ignore. IMO get over it.

xTaz81x
04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
aslong as the menu's are easy to navigate it doesn't matter O__o
try burnout :P u gotta press ESC and then hit one of the F keys twice, and then select quit to get out of the game :O

I posted a whole new rant on Burnout Paradise PC over on that forum... It's funny how that game didn't fail on 360 but it did on PC...

yiepekaiyei
04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I do complain about a bad console port, but generally because of crappy fps and lots of bugs, etc. But complain about few words that will make no difference on gameplay... That's new for me.

Toridas
04-12-2011, 08:00 PM
As far as console ports go, MBL2k10 isn't bad. I picked up the game for $3 about a year ago and had lots of fun with it. That is, if you have a gamepad. The game plays awesome with a gamepad but mouse/keyboard is basically impossible.

edit: and it didn't have any PS3 icons for me. It listed the buttons as 1, 2, 3, and 4. I was using an xbox 360 controller and just had to remember which button went with each number until I had the controls memorized.

xTaz81x
04-16-2011, 12:54 AM
As far as console ports go, MBL2k10 isn't bad. I picked up the game for $3 about a year ago and had lots of fun with it. That is, if you have a gamepad. The game plays awesome with a gamepad but mouse/keyboard is basically impossible.

edit: and it didn't have any PS3 icons for me. It listed the buttons as 1, 2, 3, and 4. I was using an xbox 360 controller and just had to remember which button went with each number until I had the controls memorized.

My gamepad is pretty bad with it as it's a 360 controller and the game is set out for a PS3 controller. I got this, 2k9, and front office manager for two bucks though...

Bromazepam
04-16-2011, 01:01 AM
If there's one thing I usually appreciate about console ports it's that they make sure fonts are large and easibly readable in-game (because people generally sit further from their TV sets than they do of PC monitors). Games developed solely for PC are more likely to make the mistake of having annoyingly small font sizes that can't be changed (I'm looking at you, EVE Online)

The main nuisance with console ports is usually the transition from thumb-sticks to mouse inputs.

The issues raised by the OP are frankly easy to ignore. IMO get over it.

Amusingly I feel the exact opposite way. I hate it when I'm playing a poor port from a console (*cough*Fallout3*cough*) and I find myself with three lines of text that take up half of my screen.

But the thing I hate most is having a keyboard under my hands and being forced to have actions bound to the same key with the tap/hold configuration.

Oh, and menus that don't use the mouse.

PieceOfMind
04-16-2011, 05:14 PM
I remember the menus being pretty bad to navigate with a mouse in borderlands. Absolutely agree that generally control issues are the most annoying. Sometimes those issues are not so bad if one uses a gamepad.

Haven't played Fallout 3 unfortunately. :(

MikeBlaszczak
04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Moved to the appropriate area.

neurosis
05-14-2011, 06:39 PM
There is never anyone on mplayer in mlb2k10.
Fail.
No other reason to buy a game on steam.