PDA

View Full Version : LOL

Gawaine
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
The opening description of the new DLC: "The first DLC pack for the critically acclaimed evildoer game Dungeons"

I'm just wondering where the "critically acclaimed" part came from? O_o

RaranTroff
04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
It was critically reviewed with brutal honesty, and acclaimed as a terrible game to boot so its truthful in a twisted way. lol

moradus
04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Everyone, I believe you're all missing how brilliant the devs' gaming production and marketing strategy is. You all could learn from these guys. Just do the following:

1) Mimic an excellent old game, without learning the lessons of what the game did right. This way, you can wildly disappoint a built-in fan base.

2) Don't play test a game during development with any actual gamers. This way, there's no chance that you will de-invest yourself of those pesky bad gaming ideas.

3) Do not actively engage with gamers that are critical of your game. After all, anyone who has anything negative to say about your game is a communist.

4) Release updates to your game that address none of the problems your gamers really care about. Remember, the gamers that bought your game are not really consumers, but donors. These gamers are entitled to nothing that could possibly inconvenience you.

5) Market downloadable content by claiming that your game has been "critically acclaimed." Gamers who were foolhardy enough to buy your game should be considered illiterate and unable to read or understand the actual reviews of your game.

The only thing that the developers of Dungeons did not do was adopt the most onerous DRM available. But even absent that, I think we can all see how good these guys are at game development and marketing.

Sifer2
04-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Actually moradus all they really had to do is just make it visually look like a popular old game. That was enough to fool lots into getting it.

I still chuckle though at their reason for not actually copying the concepts of DK. They said it would be boring. These devs have their priorities straight lol.

Void(null)
04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
If you get the same meta critic score as Star Trek Online, the Wanted Movie Tie In Game and Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days then you may have missed the bar for being critically acclaimed by a smidgen.

acetken
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
I just played it for the first time yesterday. Wow. I'm very sad I own this game not because it's not DK, but because it's just not fun. Some minor tweaks and it COULD be fun, but they most likely won't make 'em.

qbus
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
unless the dl content is a patch to make the game play like dungeon keeper they are high

Kaliss
04-13-2011, 08:17 PM
I am not sure what universe they are living in that a 66 metacritic score equals "critically acclaimed".

ShalimarX
04-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I am not sure what universe they are living in that a 66 metacritic score equals "critically acclaimed".

shhhhh you know Realmforge only counts the 75+ reviews.

Anything below that doesn't exist.

Mouseraider
04-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Is it wrong that I started laughing out loud when I read the dlc description :D oh dear, developer in denial.

Gawaine
04-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Is it wrong that I started laughing out loud when I read the dlc description :D oh dear, developer in denial.

No... I'm thinking your in the same boat as many ppl :)

HolisticCookie
04-15-2011, 10:57 PM
The opening description of the new DLC: "The first DLC pack for the critically acclaimed evildoer game Dungeons"

I'm just wondering where the "critically acclaimed" part came from? O_o

Was about to make a comment when I saw the ad on the "critically acclaimed" part, but I see someone has beaten me to the start.

I'll also like to know where this "critically acclaimed" came from?

My opinion? This DLC shows that the content was held back from a day one release, but when they found out how much a dud the game was and how we're all ripping on this sad excuse of a game, they quickly released their so called DLC before it all comes crumbling down.

EleOnAUnicycle
04-16-2011, 10:24 AM
The sad thing is the developers for this game are in charge of Airline Tycoon 2.

A Ghost
04-29-2011, 06:44 PM
"Critically acclaimed" my fat hairy ♥♥♥.

CaptainDingo
05-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't think it's funny at all, I think it's pretty sad and indicative of the way many developers feel about their own games.

The bigger the developer, the more they put themselves inside this little bubble, ignore their customers, and brainwash themselves into believing their half-baked attempts are truly "critically acclaimed". Take a look at Peter Molyneux. The guy is on the verge of a mental breakdown at this point because he keeps trying to reinvent the wheel and set new standards, but he keeps lying to his users and fumbling up the things he promised, then give the old "I know I hit you baby, but please don't leave me, I can be better" speech for the fifth time.

Tontoman
05-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Maybe it's all in the editing, you've seen those movie reviews summaries on the movie ad with the "..."

"Totally a waste of time. The plot sucks and you will wish you could have your time back in spades."

Becomes -
Totally...sucks...you...in...

Tontoman
05-10-2011, 10:34 PM
The sad thing is the developers for this game are in charge of Airline Tycoon 2.

Those Tycoon games died years ago with the devs just putting out any garbage. Theme Hospital is the last of that type I played, mainly because it was made by Bullfrog until they got eaten and destroyed by EA.

irogue
05-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Sounds like they are sitting in a sound proof room devoid of any outside world contact or communication.

I guess though more ppl will in future not believe "Hype" or go on instinct or trust anythign that si said about a game before it is released and even then don't listen to the nonsense of what they plan on doing until it is actually a fact not "Hype".

w00d
06-01-2011, 06:36 AM
well maybe their mum thought it was a great game and so we all know, mum's word is the Law!

War-A-Tron
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
To be honest, at first I thought that this is just a crappy Rollercoster Tycoon, or a hero babysitter game but now that I have played it more, it is actually good fun.

Although a few simple changes could turn this game compleatly around, its still ok - but you need to get used to it first though.

Pizlenut
07-01-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't think it's funny at all, I think it's pretty sad and indicative of the way many developers feel about their own games.

Take a look at Peter Molyneux. The guy is on the verge of a mental breakdown at this point because he keeps trying to reinvent the wheel and set new standards, but he keeps lying to his users and fumbling up the things he promised, then give the old "I know I hit you baby, but please don't leave me, I can be better" speech for the fifth time.

I stopped paying attention to him after he royally screwed up BnW2 and Fable2 (fable1 was ok, but still he blew smoke) and Fable2 must of been a joke, but I think only he was laughing.
(Don't even try to say Fable2 was good, it was worthless. Everything you did was a right move, you couldn't even die and even if you tried to you just popped back up in place where you... "died"...)

As for dungeons... I think im in the same boat as a lot of people. I really want this game to be Dungeon Keeper. I was tricked into thinking it, what with the similar look and such but then I was denied what I wanted.
Why does that even make sense to any developer? Why don't they just make the game they already know people are after - and they have to know since they intentionally mimicked its style.

Not that Dungeons is a terrible game, but it could be a lot less terrible if it was the game it pretended to be.