PDA

View Full Version : Why is EVERYTHING 'dumbed down' for Americans?

GameHog9
04-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I am so sick of this.

I was just searching for the BBC Docudrama "Heroes and Villains" on Amazon, and found out that the title was changed to "Warriors" in the US.

It might seem like an exaggeration to complain about this, considering the change wasnt that big, but it reflects an ugly marketing trend I seen across all entertainment fronts.

Here are 3 examples I can think of:

- The Cover art for Heavy Rain (PS3) in NA was changed to show more cleavage and more guns. Here is the European (http://gamingdead.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Heavy-Rain-UK-box-art.jpg)and Japanese (http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/heavy-rain-japan-box-art.jpg) Version. Here is the glorious American version (http://assets.vg247.com/current//2010/01/Heavy-Rain-US-Cover.jpg).

- Kingdom of Heaven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Heaven_%28film%29) was cut to resemble "Gladiator" and
marketed as such in the US. In other parts of the world, Arab populated areas in particular, it was marketed as an examination on religion.

- The first US release of "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" was re-cut into an action flick called "Warriors of the Wind," (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C3%A4_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind_%28film%29 ) a film that ignored most of the environmental issues brought up by Miyazaki. Miyazaki himself later said that fans should disregard this version of the film.

Im sure there are more examples out there. Do the marketing divisions truly see us as uncultured muck that only understands 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?'

stillmatic07
04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
You're complaining about cleavage? BLASPHEMY

flipster103
04-12-2011, 08:29 PM
The U.S. is full of laziness if that helps?? :confused::confused::confused:

Also, why would we want to make things more complicated for ourselves? That's why we advance through civilization and create things that are simpler.

And I agree with you on the cleavage thing, it's stupid. The European version looks a lot better

real4xor
04-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Do the marketing divisions truly see us as uncultured muck that only understands 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?'

Yup...

sad_ism
04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Do the marketing divisions truly see us as uncultured muck that only understands 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?'

Are you sure you got what 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' was all about? ;)

GameHog9
04-12-2011, 08:35 PM
The U.S. is full of laziness if that helps?? :confused::confused::confused:

Also, why would we want to make things more complicated for ourselves? That's why we advance through civilization and create things that are simpler.

And I agree with you on the cleavage thing, it's stupid. The European version looks a lot better

Hmm I agree that technology should be getting simpler, but that would reflect that our understanding of engineering and electronics is growing. Intelligence should never get "thinner," and American marketing is doing just that.

American TV is also horrible as shat. I was on Germany a while back and their TV is much more varied and interesting. I have DirectTV and literally half, maybe more than half of my programming is reality programs, even on channels like Discovery or NatGeo.

NiteHyeway
04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Also, why would we want to make things more complicated for ourselves?

I'm sorry, what?
It's like saying why play chess when we can eat burgers and play CoD :rolleyes:

amishbass
04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
You seem to be forgetting one thing:
America has a ton of uncultured/trashy people.

Imagine your average redneck. He's got a console and x amount of cash to spend on one game at his local GameStop.
He sees two games: one with a nice piece of artwork on the front, and another with a nice pair of breasts on the front.
Which game does he buy?

DTKT
04-12-2011, 08:38 PM
- Kingdom of Heaven was cut to resemble "Gladiator" and
marketed as such in the US. In other parts of the world, Arab populated areas in particular, it was marketed as an examination on religion.

Interesting. I disliked the "cut" version but I rented the original version and thought it was much better presented.

What a shame.

Baron_Fel
04-12-2011, 08:38 PM
American TV is also horrible as shat. I was on Germany a while back and their TV is much more varied and interesting. I have DirectTV and literally half, maybe more than half of my programming is reality programs, even on channels like Discovery or NatGeo.

lolwut. The best shows of all time are American. HBOs from the US you know.

GameHog9
04-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Imagine your average redneck. He's got a console and x amount of cash to spend on one game at his local GameStop.
He sees two games: one with a nice piece of artwork on the front, and another with a nice pair of breasts on the front.
Which game does he buy?

Are you sure? I live an area with a high degree of college and university graduates. I wouldnt go as far to say that there are "a ton" of uneducated people in this country.

amishbass
04-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Are you sure? I live an area with a high degree of college and university graduates. I wouldnt go as far to say that there are "a ton" of uneducated people in this country.

I live in a similar area, but when you throw all the people living in ghettoes and the middle of nowhere together, it at least adds up to the point where low-brow marketing increases sales.

I mean, look at how well the Call of Duty games sell, and basically only because of commercials filled with guns and explosions.

lucid enigma
04-12-2011, 08:46 PM
lol
I remember when my dad lived in NY and bought the first Harry Potter film on DVD.
The book and the non-US version of the film was called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" yet his was "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"?!? :confused:
I remember thinking "Philosopher's not that big a word?!?" :D

Kanly
04-12-2011, 08:49 PM
here's another one, the first book of the Harry Potter series, is called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", in america it's called, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" why? the editors thought that not that many people in america would know what a Philosopher is...

marie pavie
04-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Yes. Because we are now an uncultured muck, and the big swing to that is pretty recent.

GameHog9
04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I live in a similar area, but when you throw all the people living in ghettoes and the middle of nowhere together, it at least adds up to the point where low-brow marketing increases sales.

I mean, look at how well the Call of Duty games sell, and basically only because of commercials filled with guns and explosions.

Do you think people living in Ghettos working 2 jobs and sending their kids to the crappiest schools have the money to buy expensive $400 consoles and $60 dollar games? :D

You might be right, but I dont believe that Americans are dumber than the people across either ocean. People from the UK play CoD too you know (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11743689).

taylynne
04-12-2011, 08:53 PM
"Let the right one in" turned into... let me in?? I think... it's rather annoying because it kills the book (well kills what people may think it means or something). The title means so much. Why was it changed? Because the just so amazing people of hollywood thought the original title was... "too long." :p
I'm sorry, there are plenty of films with titles that are longer. There is one in particular that is "long" (and dull) as I keep forgetting what it is.

For heavy rain, I like the euro cover and the na cover isn't that bad (though you bring up a valid point, the main reason I like the na cover is that all the characters are there; I think that maddison shouldn't be the first character in the line up..) . I personally do not care for the japanese cover. D:

But we dumb ♥♥♥♥ down because it's easier to appeal to everyone, or rather appeal to the targeted persons.

real4xor
04-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Heck, look at EA`s marketing...
Are all gamers parent hating kids that only love blood, violence and cleavage?

Most likely not, but EA sure seem to think so, cuz that`s how they make their marketing scemes.

flipster103
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
The world is a business, that'll never change. If they can sell a cover with a pair of breasts on the front, rather than a cover with a head sticking out of the water, you know the answer to that one. Money is money, sadly.

Mr.Foster
04-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Which game does he buy?

You forgot to mention that they have FOX news and CNN.

fr00bl3t
04-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Which game does he buy?

It's friday! Friday! Gotta get down on friday!

stillmatic07
04-12-2011, 09:31 PM

Which game does he buy?

How many times does the hate America bandwagon come around per day? Quite a bit it seems.

And yeah, a redneck that likes breasts represents the whole of America. Go outside. Trashy and uncultured is on every corner of the earth.

You suck at generalizing by the way. If anything I'd lump Americans into the dumb,brainwashed and overweight category but you chose redneck?

And since when does artwork represent the quality of the game.

Europhoria
04-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Are you sure you got what 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' was all about? ;)

I guess that's the American way of saying, kiss your ♥♥♥♥ goodbye because I'm about to shoot you. :confused:

freeloader105
04-12-2011, 09:49 PM
OP, you make some very valid points. The U.S. population.. generally doesn't like to think too much. This is a sweeping generalization, but it's true, IMO.

This is one example which always comes mind when I think of this: http://majorityrights.com/index.php/weblog/comments/newsweeks_worldwide_cover_story_losing_afghanistan _except_in_us/

methodman123
04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
To be honest, i personally do not care for t.v. shows or movies or the different art on a games disk...I ONLY CARE FOR KETCHUP CHIPS

Spycake
04-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Whatever. The Euro/Japanese covers were boring. I'd take the US one anyday.
Call me an uncultured swine, whatever. If liking what I enjoy makes me uncultured and "dumbed down", then so be it.
If knocking other people's tastes makes you feel better about yourself, by all means, mock us.

=UAL=Shock&Awe
04-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Call me an uncultured swine, whatever. If liking what I enjoy makes me uncultured and "dumbed down", then so be it.
If knocking other people's tastes makes you feel better about yourself, by all means, mock us.

I think the Japanese cover looks sort of scary. It's like a dead ghost lady coming out of a pool of water to kill you.

The American cover looks okay, but seems like too much is going on.

The European cover looks the best. Not only is it simple, but the blood stain on the edge gives you a chill that theres violent killings happening. :)

Spycake
04-12-2011, 10:19 PM
I think the Japanese cover looks sort of scary. It's like a dead ghost lady coming out of a pool of water to kill you.

The American cover looks okay, but seems like too much is going on.

The European cover looks the best. Not only is it simple, but the blood stain on the edge gives you a chill that theres violent killings happening. :)
Eh. It just looks like a piece of bloody origami to me. Not nearly as interesting as actual characters, guns, and women.If I wanted high art or something, I'd go to a museum. I just want an interesting cover that I can take in in a few seconds before I buy it, and never look at it again, for the most part.

Excygy
04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Because it's a dubbed down civilisation :p (joke)

=UAL=Shock&Awe
04-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Eh. It just looks like a piece of bloody origami to me. Not nearly as interesting as actual characters, guns, and women.If I wanted high art or something, I'd go to a museum. I just want an interesting cover that I can take in in a few seconds before I buy it, and never look at it again, for the most part.

Actually, never mind what I just said. The font on the European version makes it look like a horror movie. The clouds in the back looks like a ghost face... The American and Japanese font looks the best, with the Japanese one giving a glow that looks cool. The characters ARE interesting, since one wonders what will happen to them. Each time I look at each one, I change my mind.

P.S. Déjà vu, I thought I saw a thread like this before? Maybe it's just my dreams.

IcarusNine
04-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Actually, never mind what I just said. The font on the European version makes it look like a horror movie.

After seeing the gameplay trailers, I thought it was!

Seph64
04-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Boy, us Americans are great, are we not? We took what those damn brits call "Football" and renamed it in to Soccer. Because, we have to be different that you folks.

that's the joke

Spycake
04-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Boy, us Americans are great, are we not? We took what those damn brits call "Football" and renamed it in to Soccer. Because, we have to be different that you folks.
But, didn't the English call football soccer first?

Edit: Ah, alright, then.

=UAL=Shock&Awe
04-12-2011, 10:44 PM

that's the joke

While Americans call the brown leather ball, "football", the rest of the world calls it American "football".

P.S. The funny thing is that they don't use their feet most of the time.

General Jameson
04-12-2011, 10:45 PM
WE still use the Imperial system of measurement your argument of things being dumbed down is invalid.

Seph64
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
But, didn't the English call it soccer first?

Edit: Ah, alright, then.

I dunno, it seems everywhere else it's called Football, but here in America it's called Soccer.

I always thought it was because America created a sport based on Rugby (only the players were protective shoulder garments and head gear) and named that Football.

Which one describes which better? IMO, the sport where you throw the ball as far as you can in hopes of a receiver catch it with their hands most of the time shouldn't be call football.

Spycake
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I dunno, it seems everywhere else it's called Football, but here in America it's called Soccer.

I always thought it was because America created a sport based on Rugby (only the players were protective shoulder garments and head gear) and named that Football.

Which one describes which better? IMO, the sport where you throw the ball as far as you can in hopes of a receiver catch it with their hands most of the time shouldn't be call football.
Yeah. In the UK, it was called "Association of football" and got shortened to the slang term "Soccer" Then, when said people using that term came over here, we adopted the slang term as the actual name.

So yeah, English called it Soccer first.

=UAL=Shock&Awe
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM

Speaking of which, why do people pronounce it "Wendsday", when it is spelled "Wednesday"?

c4mpincar1
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Do you think people living in Ghettos working 2 jobs and sending their kids to the crappiest schools have the money to buy expensive $400 consoles and $60 dollar games?

Clearly, you don't remember the news stories about the Hurricane Katrina victims using their government reimbursement checks to purchase Xbox 360's and LCD televisions.

No, they don't have the money. But since America is a nation of which consumer spending is a major cornerstone, they can and will find a way to obtain these goods, regardless of the ramifications.

Spycake
Speaking of which, why do people pronounce it Wednesday when it is spelled, "Wendsday"?
Because it is spelt like Wednesday? I've never seen it spelled Wendsday. It's called Wednesday because it comes from the term "Woden's Day." Woden was an old European god.
Just like "Thor's day" and "Freya's Day"

chaplain_wu
North America has a reputation (which I think is justly deserved) as an entertainment culture; to quote Neil Postman, the most entertained, and least informed. Our legacy of capitalism and consumerism.

Its not so much "dumbed down" as its just made primarily for entertainment. Look at the news and you find correlation with show business. Films are made primarily to entertain, and I mean the short-term, mush-your-brains no-discourse type of entertain that encourages a short attention span.

Seph64
04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Speaking of which, why do people pronounce it "Wendsday", when it is spelled "Wednesday"?

You can't fool me with your ninja editing skills... WHAT YOU DID THERE, I SAW IT!

Unmodified quote:
Speaking of which, why do people pronounce it Wednesday when it is spelled, "Wendsday"?

Spycake
04-12-2011, 10:54 PM
You can't fool me with your ninja editing skills... WHAT YOU DID THERE, I SAW IT!

Unmodified quote:
Even then, my answer still explains why. It used to be Woden's-day, not wo-den's-day, so the pronounciation eventually became "Wends-day" rather then "Wed-nes-day"

=UAL=Shock&Awe
04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Because it is spelt like Wednesday? I've never seen it spelled Wendsday. It's called Wednesday because it comes from the term "Woden's Day." Woden was an old European god.
Just like "Thor's day" and "Freya's Day"

How do you know all of this? :eek:

Dirtman73
04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Even then, my answer still explains why. It used to be Woden's-day, not wo-den's-day, so the pronounciation eventually became "Wends-day" rather then "Wed-nes-day"

It's pronounced "Wendsday" because "Wendsday" is easier to pronounce than "Wed-nes-day". It's the same reason people pronounce "Brett Favre" as "Brett Farv" instead of "Brett Fav-re". Just linguistical laziness.

Spycake
04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
How do you know all of this? :eek:
Something called school.

sad_ism
04-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Something called school.

Was it an ~~~American~~~ school? :D

chaplain_wu
04-12-2011, 11:40 PM
holy ♥♥♥♥ he went there!

Spycake
04-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Was it an ~~~American~~~ school? :D
Quite so.

Parliamentarian
04-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Personally, I blame the Japanese.

Every single game that was first released in Japan and then brought to the US since the NES has been made easier for the American versions. Play the North American release of Final Fantasy II for SNES and then play the original Final Fantasy 4 (the Japanese version of the SNES FF2). Final Fantasy 4 is about 5x harder than the NA localization of the game.

Hell, even Ocarina of Time was "dumbed down" for the American release. It's kinda stupid, too, since I remember growing up with some pretty damn hard games on NES. Like Contra.

Rumina
04-13-2011, 02:44 AM
Will this stupid "America vs. Europe" crap ever end around here? I've seen ridiculously stupid things on TV from both places, both have suffered from stupid changes to products that come from over seas, and both have things their not proud of. Just face it that both regions have their pros and cons, the only real ignorant morons are the people who think their country is superior to another. It's about the individual, not baseless stereotypes that you can't even really comment on because you don't live there.

Anyone can take something someone in their country did well and compare to something crappy someone another country did, the media loves to shove it down your throat too and it seems most of you are gullible enough to eat it up. Quit making ignorant fools of yourselves.

sad_ism
04-13-2011, 05:18 AM
Will this stupid "America vs. Europe" crap ever end around here? I've seen ridiculously stupid things on TV from both places, both have suffered from stupid changes to products that come from over seas, and both have things their not proud of. Just face it that both regions have their pros and cons, the only real ignorant morons are the people who think their country is superior to another. It's about the individual, not baseless stereotypes that you can't even really comment on because you don't live there.

Anyone can take something someone in their country did well and compare to something crappy someone another country did, the media loves to shove it down your throat too and it seems most of you are gullible enough to eat it up. Quit making ignorant fools of yourselves.

To be fair, I think OP is American. To say that only an ignorant foreigner can be critical of a country is itself stereotyping, isn't it?

MrSage86
04-13-2011, 05:23 AM
There was this show on ABC called FlashFoward. Amazing show.

It was cancelled for being to smart for the target audience.

W
T
F

I

H
A
T
E

M
Y

F
E
L
L
O
W

A
M
E
R
I
C
A
N
S

λLλN
04-13-2011, 05:26 AM

I think they act on what their research is telling them...

Bad Card
04-13-2011, 05:57 AM
For heavy rain, I like the euro cover and the na cover isn't that bad (though you bring up a valid point, the main reason I like the na cover is that all the characters are there; I think that maddison shouldn't be the first character in the line up..) . I personally do not care for the japanese cover. D:

Lol, I thought it was a case of only US marketing thinking that the Americans want the floaty head collage cover art, but in reality they wouldn't. Apparently it turns out that I was wrong! :D (Disclaimer: Obviously not applicable to all Americans!)

This is a good read (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8631-Extra-Punctuation-American-Box-Art-Sucks), I'll quote the beginning of it:

I've got a question for my American readers. It's a simple one. Why do you hate things that look good? Do you all just genuinely have the aesthetic sense of a kipper, or is this part of that big "defiance of authority" thing you guys have going that makes you equate "stubborn pig ignorance" with "down homey wisdom"? To get to the point, why does all your localized box art ♥♥♥♥ing suck ♥♥♥?

I know it's supposed to be a marketing thing, in the same way that every single movie starring Will Smith just uses an extreme close up of Will Smith's face as the poster for the sole reason that he's the most bankable film star in Hollywood ('cos he's black, but not in a way white people find threatening) but my reading of good, marketable box art is that it should (a) bring across an idea as quickly as possible, (b) catch the eye and c) be readable from a distance. With that in mind, what's with all the Photoshopped blue-tinted collages with a bunch of floaty head characters like there was a point during the game's continuity when the main characters all stood really close together on boxes of varying heights and stared thoughtfully into the middle distance.

Case in point, Heavy Rain. I like the Japanese box art best since it's simple and brings across the main threat that drives the plot (the plot that starts about four hours in). In Europe, still minimalist, a paper figurine probably getting very soggy. And then comes the US box art, and lo and behold, floaty-head Photoshop collage-o-vision with extra points for having the principal sex object front and centre in her underpants.

Continued... (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8631-Extra-Punctuation-American-Box-Art-Sucks)

WE still use the Imperial system of measurement your argument of things being dumbed down is invalid.

I know you're joking but this (http://bit.ly/hUvhgz) was so relevant I had to post it. (I had to shorten the link due to word censoring here.)

bluz74
04-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Can someone change the thread title to "Why is EVERYTHING 'intelligence impaired' for Americans?"

AngelinaCarmen
04-13-2011, 06:10 AM
http://www.longcountdown.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tv-500x402.jpg

I'm not going to say anything else.

edit: actually I am, lol, the one from 2007 is even worse. (http://mitchieville.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tv.jpg)

Pebr
04-13-2011, 06:14 AM
It's annoying, yes.

English version of Coupling was re-made with American actors using the same script - It flopped.
English version of Death at a Funeral was re-made 3 years later with an American cast and in-your-face humor.
Many English children's cartoons are re-voiced with American accents and new intro songs - Apparently English accents are too difficult to understand and aren't even worth attempting to listen to...
I don't know about you but lots of movie titles and sequels become a one-worded title. Ex. The newest Rambo movie was just "Rambo".
Plot-points are blatantly spelled out to the viewer. We're apparently not capable of connecting the dots so the characters will explain everything to each other until we've had every detail shoved down our throats.
Movie trailers are becoming generic, much like the movies they're promoting. Romantic comedy trailers will begin by introducing the 2 main characters, then the generic reason why they're involved, show a few of the only funny jokes in the movie, then tease why the two are actually serious about each other and show one of them crying and being serious, cue some loud cheesy music while a slideshow of each actor smiling is shown, then finish.

bluz74
04-13-2011, 06:17 AM

Well in all fairness, the other countries don't have quality programming like "Dr. Phil", "Outsourced", and 13 different "CSI" shows, and a countless number of ground breaking, original reality shows like "Jersey Shore".

RaiNN
04-13-2011, 06:17 AM

Uh. I'd imagine TV watching is higher in America due to the variety of television choices and thousands of media outlets. Our country has a extremely large output of media.

Please, because it feels like you're gearing up for an unoriginal thought on our culture filled with anti-American ravings.

cheeseus
04-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Because USA is the land of the dumb and the selfish?

kill4pie
04-13-2011, 06:26 AM
I have a genuine question. Is all American television absolute rubbish? Because whenever I happen to see an American TV show played on British TV it's always terrible, the humour is crude and made for idiots. For example I happened to be looking through to see what was on and saw Two and a half men, well I thought I would give it a try and wow, what complete and utter dross. I think my IQ may have dropped by 5 in the 3 minutes that I was watching it.

bluz74
04-13-2011, 06:30 AM
I have a genuine question. Is all American television absolute rubbish? Because whenever I happen to see an American TV show played on British TV it's always terrible, the humour is crude and made for idiots. For example I happened to be looking through to see what was on and saw Two and a half men, well I thought I would give it a try and wow, what complete and utter dross. I think my IQ may have dropped by 5 in the 3 minutes that I was watching it.

I'd say 85% of American TV is crap.

If it isn't crap, then it is a show based on show from another country.

And if it isn't crap and original US show then it will be really good but cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons.

AngelinaCarmen
04-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Uh. I'd imagine TV watching is higher in America due to the variety of television choices and thousands of media outlets. Our country has a extremely large output of media.

We have hoards of fast food too, that doesn't mean we have to eat it. Most of the shows on are just terrible, I honestly don't know how people can watch it for 8 hours, and yes I find it rather disturbing, I don't know why you don't.

Please, because it feels like you're gearing up for an unoriginal thought on our culture filled with anti-American ravings.

Yes, because I would continue living in a country I despise.

And being original is a waste of time unless you want people hating on you like they did to bluz. :p

Eriako
04-13-2011, 06:33 AM
There was this show on ABC called FlashFoward. Amazing show.

It was cancelled for being to smart for the target audience.

Really? I caught the first episode, and had to stop watching because the dialogue was so bad, and because they resorted to eye candy in less than five minutes. Interesting premise, though.

Spycake
04-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Because USA is the land of the dumb and the selfish?
Why does everythread nowadays devolve into US hating here?

Also, yahtzee can think whatever he wants. However, what I want in box art is something exciting that will get me to buy it, not some artistic masterpiece.

dune297
04-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Really? I caught the first episode, and had to stop watching because the dialogue was so bad, and because they resorted to eye candy in less than five minutes. Interesting premise, though.
FlashForward got way better as the season went on. A few other notable shows that were canceled/will be canceled are...
-Firefly
-Fringe (Most likely going to be cancelled)
-V (Same as Above)
-Detroit 1-8-7
-Stargate Universe (For the people thinking the show was horrible, it took a few weeks to get into it, but if you kept on with it, you'd absolutely love it)

There's a fair amount more I can't think of right now, but those are some of the top for me. I hate America sometimes :mad:.

Europhoria
04-13-2011, 06:51 AM

edit: actually I am, lol, the one from 2007 is even worse. (http://mitchieville.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tv.jpg)

Do you Americans ever sleep?! :eek:

Sounds like almost all anime made. :|

FlashForward got way better as the season went on. A few other notable shows that were canceled/will be canceled are...
-Firefly
-V (Same as Above)
-Detroit 1-8-7
-Stargate Universe (For the people thinking the show was horrible, it took a few weeks to get into it, but if you kept on with it, you'd absolutely love it)

There's a fair amount more I can't think of right now, but those are some of the top for me. I hate America sometimes :mad:.

What about Futurama? :( That show was the best. I'm glad somebody had half a bloody brain to bring it back.

dune297
04-13-2011, 06:53 AM
What about Futurama? :( That show was the best. I'm glad somebody had half a bloody brain to bring it back.
I'm not a big animated fan :P.

thePyro_13
04-13-2011, 07:00 AM
I always figured it was because people assumed that Americans wouldn't 'get' non-American media. Same reason they replaced all the car names in "The Castle" with American car names. It's stupid, and they'd be better off just dealing with the fact that their are other countries in the word.

It makes America seem intolerant of other cultures. Which as a county it does tend to be, but reinforcing it by censoring references to other cultures is only going to cement that view of America from the rest of the world. And also cement a flawed view of the world in the eyes of Americans who aren't exposed to other cultures or become accustomed to removing or ignoring non-American culture.

Also it can ruin the shows that they do it too. Americans missed out on Red Dwarf because some publishers wanted to screw with it and make a terrible 'American' version with horrible humour.

bluz74
04-13-2011, 07:05 AM
I always wondered, in the US in recent years, during virtually all television shows, we have to endure pop-ups on our screen promoting a show or even the current show you are watching. :mad:

Is this going on in other countries? And I say we all ban together and find a way to stop it. :mad:

Bad Card
04-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Why does everythread nowadays devolve into US hating here?

Also, yahtzee can think whatever he wants. However, what I want in box art is something exciting that will get me to buy it, not some artistic masterpiece.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to say that generic blue-tinted floaty head collage (to use his terms) box art on thousands of different games/movies (imagine a shop being full of these) is better than a simple, concentrated, readable, unique cover art, that conveys a message of the game/movie in question quickly and catches the eye.

Also in case you didn't, you should check some more examples of the cover art on the second page of his article.

Eriako
04-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Sounds like almost all anime made. :|

Mm. I wouldn't call a lot of series bad, but I'm certainly not the target audience for many shows. Same with cartoons in general. Luckily, there's usually at least one amazing show a year.

:D I hope there's another season soon.

Jbotski
04-13-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm surprised nobody has called us all generalizing idiots yet.

Lazychip
04-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVzPCY2T-g

ledbelly
04-13-2011, 07:26 AM
it's certainly interesting the way things are marketed in different areas of the world.

obviously they feel it would sell better in that particular region if marketed a specific way.

Spycake
04-13-2011, 07:46 AM
I think it's pretty ridiculous to say that generic blue-tinted floaty head collage (to use his terms) box art on thousands of different games/movies (imagine a shop being full of these) is better than a simple, concentrated, readable, unique cover art, that conveys a message of the game/movie in question quickly and catches the eye.

Also in case you didn't, you should check some more examples of the cover art on the second page of his article.
I stand by what I said. All I want on a box cover are characters, maybe a weapon, and maybe an enemy. I want to know about the game from a glance, not look at some silly art that tells me nothing.

Going by the heavy rain example, the american cover plainly shows the game. The euro one, at a first glance, tells me nothing except that the game might be about battle-origami or something. And the Japanese one might be a competitive swimming game, going by the cover.

Same with Ico. For all the foreign cover tells me, it is an mc eschser painting with a windmill, whereas the US one actually introduces some characters. Its less pretty, sure, but it actually portrays the game.

marie pavie
04-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I have a genuine question. Is all American television absolute rubbish? Because whenever I happen to see an American TV show played on British TV it's always terrible, the humour is crude and made for idiots. For example...
Most of it is (& now with 'reality' shows we've reached a new circle of hell), but some of the tv recently is the best it's ever been.

Misstigress
04-13-2011, 08:13 AM
It makes America seem intolerant of other cultures. Which as a county it does tend to be, but reinforcing it by censoring references to other cultures is only going to cement that view of America from the rest of the world. And also cement a flawed view of the world in the eyes of Americans who aren't exposed to other cultures or become accustomed to removing or ignoring non-American culture.

Yeah it's no secret that America (as a whole) is intolerant to other cultures. For example in Pokemon, they will edit out riceballs and put in American foods, such as hamburgers and pizza. Also theres a decent amount of hate towards those who have different cultures and religions all together.. like white Americans telling other US citizens to go back to their own country, but don't think for a second they should go back to Europe.

Yes I know this doesn't pertain to the majority of white Americans, but seriously, if I have to hear that crap from my own father and some media, then yes, I can safely say that it happens.

wakeless0
04-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm from America

I'm not the smartest tool in the box of lightbulbs.

AlecJ32
04-13-2011, 08:23 AM
I am so sick of this.

I was just searching for the BBC Docudrama "Heroes and Villains" on Amazon, and found out that the title was changed to "Warriors" in the US.

It might seem like an exaggeration to complain about this, considering the change wasnt that big, but it reflects an ugly marketing trend I seen across all entertainment fronts.

Here are 3 examples I can think of:

- The Cover art for Heavy Rain (PS3) in NA was changed to show more cleavage and more guns. Here is the European (http://gamingdead.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Heavy-Rain-UK-box-art.jpg)and Japanese (http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/heavy-rain-japan-box-art.jpg) Version. Here is the glorious American version (http://assets.vg247.com/current//2010/01/Heavy-Rain-US-Cover.jpg).

- Kingdom of Heaven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Heaven_%28film%29) was cut to resemble "Gladiator" and

- The first US release of "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" was re-cut into an action flick called "Warriors of the Wind," (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C3%A4_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind_%28film%29 ) a film that ignored most of the environmental issues brought up by Miyazaki. Miyazaki himself later said that fans should disregard this version of the film.

Well, here in the US, a lot of allegories, metaphors and underlying meanings tend to go over people's heads. Nobody would understand what was going on in either of those.

sad_ism
04-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Going by the heavy rain example, the american cover plainly shows the game.

H... how?? Do any of those people mean anything to you? Do the expressions on their faces impart any meaning as to what the soggy paper duck in the foreground is? Does the presence of a gun suggest anything other than that there are guns involved?

Box art can either be art, or a heavyhanded means to sell something in a hurry.

Well, here in the US, a lot of allegories, metaphors and underlying meanings tend to go over people's heads. Nobody would understand what was going on in either of those.

I think this is pretty much it. Not that Americans are dumb, but corporations are always under pressure to reach a wider demographic, get higher ratings, show bigger numbers...

TangledThorns
04-13-2011, 09:16 AM
If America is lazy then y we have no SIESTA?!?

marie pavie
04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I think this is pretty much it. Not that Americans are dumb, but corporations are always under pressure to reach a wider demographic, get higher ratings, show bigger numbers...

I'd argue that that Americans are dumb, we reached the flood point by turning the bottled water industry into a multi million dollar venture, & are now awash in our own idiocy.

Flurgorg
04-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm from America

I'm not the smartest tool in the box of lightbulbs.

I'm a lightbulb and I find this offensive.

Spycake
04-13-2011, 09:20 AM
H... how?? Do any of those people mean anything to you? Do the expressions on their faces impart any meaning as to what the soggy paper duck in the foreground is? Does the presence of a gun suggest anything other than that there are guns involved?.
it shows me the central characters, so I know it'll probably have a lot of plot, or at least character interactions, and a gun, which implies some action. That alone tells me far more then a bloody paper duck.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Kingdom of Heaven was a great movie.

sad_ism
04-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I'd argue that that Americans are dumb, we reached the flood point by turning the bottled water industry into a multi million dollar venture, & are now awash in our own idiocy.

I can't comment on this since I like bottled water (I'm not American, and tap water isn't potable here), though I do choose cheap local brands, and not the type made from Scandinavian glaciers and melted on the pale bosoms of young milkmaids.

it shows me the central characters, so I know it'll probably have a lot of plot, or at least character interactions, and a gun, which implies some action. That alone tells me far more then a bloody paper duck.

True, but for me, this is what the blurb on the back is for.

Now tell me, everyone, am I the only one who hates plastic-wrapped books that have the synopsis printed on the inside flap of the jacket? I don't want to read "Praise for the Author's last couple of works" on the back, I want to see what this book is about! Now!

kill4pie
04-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Is it so hard to flip the case over and read the back? Or is that dumbed down as well?

Spycake
04-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Is it so hard to flip the case over and read the back? Or is that dumbed down as well?
Of course not, but I prefer to be able to see what a game is about at a glance. Much easier. And, for the most part, I dont think the US covers are inferiotr aesthetically, either.

DoorKn00b
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
British people are a bunch of stuck up, tea drinking ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s.

See? I can act like stereotypes are true too!

kill4pie
04-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Ammnesia The Dark Descent EU Art (http://www.ezone.mn/Upload/Fileimg/orig/amnesia-the-dark-descent-walkthrough-box-artwork.jpg)
Ammnesia The Dark Descent US Art (http://www.madoverdose.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/AmnesiaBox.jpg)

British people are a bunch of stuck up, tea drinking ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s.

See? I can act like stereotypes are true too!

I don't think you've quite got the idea of the thread. Would you like me to dumb it down for you?

Ihavenoidea
04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Holy snikes Batman! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQzFYu6CY-c) GameHog9 just made the very important discovery that countries act differently from eachother! Hurry, tell everyone you know about this new wonderful knowledge!

SpeedFleX
04-13-2011, 10:10 AM
-Firefly
-V (Same as Above)
-Detroit 1-8-7

So all these show come from where? Europe?

I'm an American living in Germany, 12 years now and I notice the majority of people think they are smart, but in reality we are all pretty dumb as a human race , if you think a certain country is full of dumbed down stuff, then maybe thats just ignorant?

Draek
04-13-2011, 10:49 AM

And many of those that do would find them offensive. Citing particular examples would likely derail this thread and get it locked down for violating the forum's rules, but religion and enviromentalism *are* very touchy subjects in modern USA, far more than they are in Europe or Asia.

Fox_McCloud
04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
lolwut. The best shows of all time are American. HBOs from the US you know.

Heard of Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Monty Python or Father Ted?

GameHog9
04-13-2011, 11:00 AM
To be fair, I think OP is American. To say that only an ignorant foreigner can be critical of a country is itself stereotyping, isn't it?

Youre quite right, I am American.

I never meant this to be a "European vs American" slug match, Im pointing out that quite often things are censored or altered in this country and we dont realize it because we never bother to look up the merchandise and marketing of other countries.

Take for example the Newsweek cover story. I never touch that magazine, but they completely jump the story in favor of something else here, a country thats dangerously enamored with patriotism? HIGHLY SUSPECT ;)

GameHog9
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM

And if it isn't crap and original US show then it will be really good but cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons.

HBO Rome anyone? :rolleyes:

AlecJ32
04-13-2011, 11:31 AM
And many of those that do would find them offensive. Citing particular examples would likely derail this thread and get it locked down for violating the forum's rules, but religion and enviromentalism *are* very touchy subjects in modern USA, far more than they are in Europe or Asia.

Which is another problem (I feel) with the United States. People are not open to the expression of other people's beliefs, even in a non-inflammatory way. It's okay for us to make fun of other belief systems in a highly offensive way (Look at our idea of satire), but when someone expresses their opinion about something (Which disagrees with another individuals opinion) the people who disagree take offense to the idea. If someone would like to highlight their opinions on a subject, they should be allowed to do so so long as they aren't doing so in an inflammatory way.

I feel as though it's rather wrong to take offense when someone politely points out a rather obvious and severe flaw in our country, especially considering how quick our country is to criticize and even make fun of other groups of people. A movie containing metaphors and analogies for the US's environmental behavior generally is not a rude statement about the US.

PlumpSquirrel3
04-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's a difference in cultures? For example, look at the differences between American English, and British English.
Why do you European's change the name of American brand names? Maybe things are changed because of censors, or marketing reasons? The same question can asked for Europe. Why is everything dumbed down for the Europeans?

Snowy Winters
04-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't think it's intended to be offensive. :confused:

Americans get mad at us Canadians because we change the name of our products and teleshows when releasing them in America. It's not meant to be offensive. We're not dumbing it down for you Americans. French is not spoken in America, so sometimes we have to change the name to English.

We just.. want to change the name? :confused:

Fox_McCloud
04-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's a difference in cultures? For example, look at the differences between American English, and British English.
Why do you European's change the name of American brand names? Maybe things are changed because of censors, or marketing reasons? The same question can asked for Europe. Why is everything dumbed down for the Europeans?

Can you give a few examples like the OP did?

On topic, you could argue that their language itself is dumbed down. Color instead of colour. Maybe writing that "u" was too much effort.

bluz74
04-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't underget this thread. :confused:

SpeedFleX
04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Can you give a few examples like the OP did?

On topic, you could argue that their language itself is dumbed down. Color instead of colour. Maybe writing that "u" was too much effort.

for example the movie Event horizon, in German the movie is called Event Horizon: Am Rande des Universums.

At the edge of the universe? are they implying that an event horizon (German Ereignishorizont) just the edge of the universe? Sounds like a pretty dumbed down titel to me

Parliamentarian
04-13-2011, 11:56 AM
If game developers wanted to appeal just to the American market, they would make a game that you could eat when you're done with it.

dune297
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
So all these show come from where? Europe?

I'm an American living in Germany, 12 years now and I notice the majority of people think they are smart, but in reality we are all pretty dumb as a human race , if you think a certain country is full of dumbed down stuff, then maybe thats just ignorant?
I was responding to this...:confused:

SpeedFleX
04-13-2011, 12:06 PM
I was responding to this...:confused:

What I wanted to say is 85% of the worlds TV is crap, it's not just america, or Japan (^^)), if you hate america because of TV then it wont get better elsewhere^^

Fox_McCloud
04-13-2011, 12:12 PM
If game developers wanted to appeal just to the American market, they would make a game that you could eat when you're done with it.

lol +rep

Baron_Fel
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Heard of Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Monty Python or Father Ted?

Heard of The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, or Curb Your Enthusiasm?

dune297
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
What I wanted to say is 85% of the worlds TV is crap, it's not just america, or Japan (^^)), if you hate america because of TV then it wont get better elsewhere^^
At least England keeps MI-5 on air :cool:.

Fox_McCloud
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Heard of The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, or Curb Your Enthusiasm?

I wasn't saying American television isn't good, you said "the best shows of all time" as in "no other country's shows have ever been as good as ours".

You made a blanketing statement and I was naming British examples of some of the best shows of all time. It is ok to enjoy shows from other cultures you know?

GameHog9
04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
for example the movie Event horizon, in German the movie is called Event Horizon: Am Rande des Universums.

At the edge of the universe? are they implying that an event horizon (German Ereignishorizont) just the edge of the universe? Sounds like a pretty dumbed down titel to me

OKKKKK.... I believe you misunderstood me.

Look at my examples. I am not talking about language differences. Those products received a completely different focus for the US release.

Look at Heavy Rain. In other parts of the world: Murder Mystery. In the US? Boobs + Guns. Kingdom of Heaven? It went from being an informative drama to a 'Troy imitation.' Nausicaa was similarly edited.

This is much more than a language change, such as Avatar: Ausbruch nach Pandora.

The_End254
04-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Ammnesia The Dark Descent EU Art (http://www.ezone.mn/Upload/Fileimg/orig/amnesia-the-dark-descent-walkthrough-box-artwork.jpg)
Ammnesia The Dark Descent US Art (http://www.madoverdose.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/AmnesiaBox.jpg)

I don't think you've quite got the idea of the thread. Would you like me to dumb it down for you?

Good god that US box art is horrible.

DarkLite123
04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Why are Americans 'dumbed down' for EVERYTHING?

IcarusNine
04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Take for example the Newsweek cover story. I never touch that magazine, but they completely jump the story in favor of something else here, a country thats dangerously enamored with patriotism? HIGHLY SUSPECT ;)

Just imagine the backlash they would've gotten if they hadn't.
It almost explains itself.

Ihavenoidea
04-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Great, another "Im smarter then you because I live in Europe" D-wad who really had no clue what hes talking about. Can you give me one reason of your thinking other then "you dont know any countries leaders." Whoopie, who gives a damn about that. Our country is larger then the entire European continent, we have two countries boardering us. We dont need to know about anyone else except our neighbors.

Do Europeans learn about Africian, South American, or Asian leaders? Nope, you just know about the ones around you.

GameHog9, check this out. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dEUQ6WiHY)

hahaokayman
04-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Why is everything smartened up for the european countries why are they so dang smart!?

TimM
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Great, another "Im smarter then you because I live in Europe" D-wad who really had no clue what hes talking about. Can you give me one reason of your thinking other then "you dont know any countries leaders." Whoopie, who gives a damn about that. Our country is larger then the entire European continent, we have two countries boardering us. We dont need to know about anyone else except our neighbors.

Do Europeans learn about Africian, South American, or Asian leaders? Nope, you just know about the ones around you.

Lol, yes. About the entire world actually.

Ihavenoidea
04-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Lol, yes. About the entire world actually.

Quick, name five. Without going to Wiki.

Oh, you cant :eek:

GameHog9
04-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Youre quite right, I am American.

I never meant this to be a "European vs American" slug match, Im pointing out that quite often things are censored or altered in this country and we dont realize it because we never bother to look up the merchandise and marketing of other countries.

I dont think that some of you are even reading the arguments of I and others. I never, ever mentioned that Europe was superior to America in my post, except for the TV bit, but I think most Americans would agree.

This is not a cross-continent debate. Unfortunately, some people who believe a little too much in stereotypes have turned into that.

DarkLite123
04-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Quick, name five states of America from memory.

Oh, I'm going to assume you can't, and if you post any I'll claim you looked them up.

See how ridiculous those questions are? :p

GameHog9
04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Just imagine the backlash they would've gotten if they hadn't.
It almost explains itself.

So we cant be open to different opinions here? We cant admit when were wrong? You do have a point though, Id imagine that France or Spain wouldnt allow an article backlashing their foreign policy either.

Ihavenoidea
04-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Quick, name five states of America from memory.

Oh, I'm going to assume you can't, and if you post any I'll claim you looked them up.

See how ridiculous those questions are? :p

Can you?

schnitzeljaeger
04-13-2011, 01:38 PM

No, we (Germans) don't learn about all the leaders but we learn where every nation lies. Did you watch interviews with GW Bush? Embarrassing, even for me as non-US citizen. The fact that he got elected shows how far the US has come ;)

Ihavenoidea
04-13-2011, 01:40 PM
No, we (Germans) don't learn about all the leaders but we learn where every nation lies. Did you watch interviews with GW Bush? Embarrassing, even for me as non-US citizen. The fact that he got elected shows how far the US has come ;)

LOL, I loved watching Bush talk. Its like watching a monkey talk, only a monkey is smarter. I didnt vote for him, cant pin that on me.

TimM
04-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Well, I actually can. But as you kind of pointed out, it would be of no use. If I did, you would say I looked it up.

Also, my girlfriend is from South America, so I have also learned more about South America than a regular European might have.

Also, I haven't trash talked America, I like America actually.

I just pointed out what we were taught.

Bad Card
04-13-2011, 01:41 PM

Completely missing the point (especially when the OP is American), which is the terrible US cover art that has been around for a long time, and editing movies for stupid reasons.

That's a really minor thing. When films are released in Europe, sometimes the title stays the exact same, sometimes fully translated if the translation is smooth, and sometimes retaining the original and providing a translated title with it or a sub-title. Personally I'd say just keep the original title.

But if you want to talk about real dumbing down for Europeans, it's dubbing, which I really hate, although it isn't done in my country. In many countries it's done for everything, TV and movies alike, you can see a map and explanation here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dubbing_films_in_Europe1.png). Myself I live in Finland where dubbing is only done for kid's cartoons, and usually original versions are available.

Why I hate dubbing is that they ruin the original acting and voices, and some of the jokes and so on. Basically you could have the same guy do the dubbing for both Don Corleone and Homer Simpson in some European country, and I believe it actually is like that at least in one country.

Secondly it keeps the viewers in their comfort zone, they don't want to use subtitles and it doesn't help them learn English. Playing video games, reading and writing on the internet, talking online a bit, and watching English series and movies from a young age has helped me a lot in learning English (aside from it being teached since 3rd grade).

Ihavenoidea
04-13-2011, 01:43 PM
(especially when the OP is American

OP needs to post that in the OP. Do you really sort through nine pages of comments, reading each and every one? If you do, Im very, very sorry for you.

schnitzeljaeger
04-13-2011, 01:44 PM
LOL, I loved watching Bush talk. Its like watching a monkey talk, only a monkey is smarter. I didnt vote for him, cant pin that on me.

Yeah, but it shows that there is/was a majority that thought he would be a good representative for the USA. A guy with an IQ below room temperature...

hahaokayman
04-13-2011, 01:45 PM
California on Canada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXjih-WBqqM) (whispers uber silently: thats the country to their north)

California on England (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwcIEV-fEk)

LAST but not LEAST.

CALIFORNIA ON AMERICA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJc7ou1-p8)

Soldierman1945
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
he fact that he got elected shows how far the US has come ;)
We use the Electoral College (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)) and he lost the popular vote the first time. ;)

The box art might be changed because they try to match it with the culture.

Ihavenoidea
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but it shows that there is/was a majority that thought he would be a good representative for the USA. A guy with an IQ below room temperature...

Actually, the majority of America voted Gore the second time, but with our stupid "electoral college" system, Bush won the election. But yea, I totally agree with you.

Bad Card
04-13-2011, 01:56 PM
OP needs to post that in the OP. Do you really sort through nine pages of comments, reading each and every one? If you do, Im very, very sorry for you.

Reading a thread in full that one is interested in (which he may have started reading when the thread was first created), on a forum, is sad now?

Your logic is astonishing.

IcarusNine
04-13-2011, 01:57 PM
So we cant be open to different opinions here? We cant admit when were wrong? You do have a point though, Id imagine that France or Spain wouldnt allow an article backlashing their foreign policy either.
A & B: Cognitive dissonance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance) says no.

C: It's not just about foreign policy; other news bodies will fan the flames of controversy because it sells, even if it means burying Newsweek in a real-world flame war. (That will, admittedly, only last until the next major celebrity divorce.) It's a business decision first. That business decisions happen to be politically advantageous is why no one is in a rush to change it.

The_End254
04-13-2011, 01:59 PM

40 posts per page, problem solved.

also this
Reading a thread in full that one is interested in (which he may have started reading when the thread was first created), on a forum, is sad now?

Your logic is astonishing.

lazy6pyro
04-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Hollywood promotional media is and has always been character-centric. This idea has bled to video game covers. Some of the best movie posters are nothing but compilations of the major characters (Star Wars, Indiana Jones to name two of a huge number).

GameHog9
04-13-2011, 02:07 PM
A & B: Cognitive dissonance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance) says no.

C: It's not just about foreign policy; other news bodies will fan the flames of controversy because it sells, even if it means burying Newsweek in a real-world flame war. (That will, admittedly, only last until the next major celebrity divorce.) It's a business decision first. That business decisions happen to be politically advantageous is why no one is in a rush to change it.

Haha, nice post, +rep ;)

Ihavenoidea, please read my post at the bottom of Page 8 :)
And youre right, the majority was with Gore.