PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead 3 As A Prequel?

Teal_Blue
04-13-2011, 12:44 AM
:) I was playing the other day and thought wouldn't it be cool, if L4D3, was a prequel? I mean, say the story opens with Bill and Zoey and Louis and Francis in Different places, back in real life before everything went to heck.

And there is an accident in a lab somewhere, we see a scientist fall to the ground and clutch at his face as he turns green.

We could use the same characters with no weapons, at least through the beginning and then as people start to get sick slowly, a few at a time, we get to see the back stories for each of the characters. I know it was a comic, but that is not a game, and it would be very, very cool to play Bill and Zoey and Louis and Francis's origins and how everything went to heck and they had to fight off the zombies alone at first, and then, one by one they find each other.

:)

I think it would make for an awesome 3 or 4 campaign DLC.

I wish i could make a campaign, but where would i get different clothes for the characters, you know? and no weapons at first. And Zoey worked in a Dairy Queen while she was going to school, and so Francis teases her and calls her DQ.

It would be neat to see the story, one you could play and enjoy and get into the zombies slower, and by this time we have all played enough that it would be interesting to play something a little different.

Just my two cents,

really,
-Teal

Bindal
04-13-2011, 02:40 AM
How should a prequel work when the SI appeared the first time around the Intro? Only CI-Killing gets boring very quickly

And how should Coop-Gameplay work when you're only on your own?

mugenfan99
04-13-2011, 05:37 AM
no SI, no weapons, no thanks.

The Law Man
04-13-2011, 06:05 AM
It would be good there's no doubting that, but a three or four map campaign, no thanks.

alehm
04-13-2011, 08:43 AM
I love L4D and L4D2. But Valve would have to make some bold changes to address problems that exist in both games. It would take a lot more than some new unasked for tweaks and added 'features' on top of the same old game. Granted, that 'same old game' is good. But what the players have done/are doing with it that Valve can't/won't address just outweighs the fun factor about what the game is all about.

GeOMETRIC-_-
04-14-2011, 05:12 PM
How should a prequel work when the SI appeared the first time around the Intro? Only CI-Killing gets boring very quickly

And how should Coop-Gameplay work when you're only on your own?

The SI appeared for the first time? How do you know this?

Regularjoe
04-14-2011, 05:47 PM
The SI appeared for the first time? How do you know this?

How about the fact that Bill thought it was a good idea to touch boomer bile?

How about the fact that they mistook a witch for a survivor?

Francis_4_Dead
04-14-2011, 05:55 PM

As well, Bill says:

Ain't seen anything like this before...

GeOMETRIC-_-
04-14-2011, 06:03 PM

Yeah just re watched the intro again you are correct they do act like this is the first time they have encountered the SI.

B14ck W01f
04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I was thinking about L4D3 as a prequel ages ago.

* The game will allow you to select one survivor as is normally the case here, but while playing the AI-controlled survivors don't play with you. Instead, you will meet the rest of them near the end of the game. If you play Zoey for example, the remaining three will meet you at a certain point in the game.

* The game will have an adventure element to it, in which you have to accomplish a set of objectives, and get disciplined if you don't do them. You also see people walking around, some who are skinny and others who are obese.

* Depending on the survivor you pick, the locations and objectives will be different. As a result, the game will be much bigger than L4D1 and L4D2.

* The scientists collapsing in the lab is a good idea, but also you will have to see a heap of people collapsing, and several people turning into Boomers, Smokers, and Hunters depending on their characteristics (eg: people who are obese turn into Boomers). I am not sure if the Charger, Spitter, or Jockey could be included.

* After the four survivors finally meet up, they could attend a meeting at CEDA HQ where some bozo could explain what happened, the details on the SI, and weapons that they could pick up.

ASecondOpinion
04-16-2011, 07:50 AM
As well, Bill says: "Ain't seen anything like this before"

Although, Bill did seem to have some prior knowledge about the Witch, as once he saw it he instantly knew that Zoey should turn off her torch.

Bindal
04-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Although, Bill did seem to have some prior knowledge about the Witch, as once he saw it he instantly knew that Zoey should turn off her torch.
Or he could simply saw the claws the Witch has, the pale skin and simply added 1+1 together that they're facing a zombie right now.

Dan_the_pest
04-16-2011, 08:26 AM
How about no L4D3 in general? After Valve screwed up with L4D and L4D2, what makes you think they'll get it right if they ever made L4D3? I'd rather they focus on starting production on a new Half-Life game than another screw up with the L4D series.

glasseye67
04-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I would love Left 4 Dead 3, but as of now the developers are working with the community to pull into the games refined "fan-made" maps.

Hopefully someday. I would much rather see another L4Dead than Portal games.

Bindal
04-16-2011, 05:54 PM
I would love Left 4 Dead 3, but as of now the developers are working with the community to pull into the games refined "fan-made" maps.

Hopefully someday. I would much rather see another L4Dead than Portal games.
Yeah, even MORE reskinned and instant-kill weapons, more straight, flatter maps and more Rochelles... THAT what we totally need (after all, that's the trend L4D2 set for the series, so the third game would go even further into that direction)

elexier909
04-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Maybe just a single campain with no special infected, telling the story of each of the chars.

So 8 small camapains about how they survived and found eachother, how they have millitery training (at least enough to be able to use and relaod any weapon lol)

Then just fast farward (from like a dream state if you will) to present, where the millitery camps are getting overrun, and maybe add into the game for extra points saving random people. (unplayable people)

Ya know the goverment is shot the millietey is all over the place, this isnt somthing that can be cleaned up in a year and things evolve witch means more special infected, but deffo keep the current cast though.

Bindal
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Maybe just a single campain with no special infected, telling the story of each of the chars.

So 8 small camapains about how they survived and found eachother, how they have millitery training (at least enough to be able to use and relaod any weapon lol)

Then just fast farward (from like a dream state if you will) to present, where the millitery camps are getting overrun, and maybe add into the game for extra points saving random people. (unplayable people)

Ya know the goverment is shot the millietey is all over the place, this isnt somthing that can be cleaned up in a year and things evolve witch means more special infected, but deffo keep the current cast though.
Do you really think, people would bother to play a 3-minutes-campaign SOLO in a Coop-game? Espically when all you can do is shooting cannon-food-enemies?

The whole story-things could be covered easier in another comic or ARE already covered. For example Zoey went to rifle-range with her father, who was a cop. Louis went also at rifle-range, during lunch-breaks.
And the L4D2-crew found eachother right at the start of Dead Center.

There isn't much left to cover.

Teal_Blue
04-23-2011, 02:33 PM
I was thinking about L4D3 as a prequel ages ago.

* The game will allow you to select one survivor as is normally the case here, but while playing the AI-controlled survivors don't play with you. Instead, you will meet the rest of them near the end of the game. If you play Zoey for example, the remaining three will meet you at a certain point in the game.

* The game will have an adventure element to it, in which you have to accomplish a set of objectives, and get disciplined if you don't do them. You also see people walking around, some who are skinny and others who are obese.

* Depending on the survivor you pick, the locations and objectives will be different. As a result, the game will be much bigger than L4D1 and L4D2.

* The scientists collapsing in the lab is a good idea, but also you will have to see a heap of people collapsing, and several people turning into Boomers, Smokers, and Hunters depending on their characteristics (eg: people who are obese turn into Boomers). I am not sure if the Charger, Spitter, or Jockey could be included.

* After the four survivors finally meet up, they could attend a meeting at CEDA HQ where some bozo could explain what happened, the details on the SI, and weapons that they could pick up.

I like the way you set things up and explain them, very nicely thought out. :) I think it would be way cool to play 'Origins' as a L4D3 :)

-Teal

Teal_Blue
04-23-2011, 02:39 PM

I think your idea of saving random people is a good one. If they have gas can retrieval, why not have non-playable characters as you say get helped. And the one carrying, or assisting the random character has to be guarded and protected by the others to get back to a safe area, or safe house. :) Makes the game different and more interesting. :)

-Teal

Teal_Blue
04-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Do you really think, people would bother to play a 3-minutes-campaign SOLO in a Coop-game? Espically when all you can do is shooting cannon-food-enemies?

The whole story-things could be covered easier in another comic or ARE already covered. For example Zoey went to rifle-range with her father, who was a cop. Louis went also at rifle-range, during lunch-breaks.
And the L4D2-crew found eachother right at the start of Dead Center.

There isn't much left to cover.

:) Bindal, you are certainly entitled to your opinions, but you sound very bitter and angry over this, you don't have to put down every idea that someone else has about L4D just because you are upset with something.

Pitch in and put in some ideas of your own, make it better instead of tearing it down. What kind of L4D game would you like? Really? What would make you want to come back and enjoy and play the game? Tell us about it, we'd love to hear what you think. And Valve might listen. Can't hurt, right? :)

-Teal

Bindal
04-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, ceartenly not one, which goes the opposite way of a Coop-way and just is going to be a SP-game with ONE single enemy. Telling more background of the survivors should be done with other kind of media.

Neither I want another L4D in general - after what they did with the second game to the francise, they shouldn't make yet another game for at least three more years. Instead, they could simply do what they said they wanted to do and work on the first game with a few more campaigns based on the L4D1-crew. Like filling some plotholes?

Teal_Blue
04-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Well, ceartenly not one, which goes the opposite way of a Coop-way and just is going to be a SP-game with ONE single enemy. Telling more background of the survivors should be done with other kind of media.

Neither I want another L4D in general - after what they did with the second game to the francise, they shouldn't make yet another game for at least three more years. Instead, they could simply do what they said they wanted to do and work on the first game with a few more campaigns based on the L4D1-crew. Like filling some plotholes?

I'm not saying just go SP and leave Co-op out, it seems an 'Origin' story could be told with Co-op, what if you start your character and a street over is the other player, your story starts and you fight off some CI and run into a SI in an alley way but get help from your Co-op partner who comes in and you both take out the infected? Then you pick up your third partner another block over fighting both CI and SI and are almost overwhelmed when your third Co-op partner comes in?

Also, three years is a 'Long' time, time enough to die in, actually. But if as you said Valve brought in more campaigns based on the L4D crew and filling/fixing some of the issues/problems then yes, your idea sounds very very workable and worth petitioning Valve for. :)

Thanks for the interesting ideas.

really,
-Teal

Killer7
04-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I also agree that the next dlc's should be Bindal's idea and also a Midnight Riders campaign(s) would be awesome as well. If Valve wants to put a community map with the next dlc's i am fine with it.

But the bigs question are:

Which game will receive the dlc's? Both, just L4D2 or L4D should receive some exclusive alhtough it seems L4D has less and less players :/

What does Valve to do plan to fix what they did to L4D world? They said to trust them on L4D2 as Valve never did something like launch a sequel so soon, but they seem allergic on working on it and prove that it would get supported (on both games) like TF2, but so far nothing they promised happened.

Should we L4D(2) community join all together and make a big petition asking Valve to put L4D series in the place that it deserves?

rolefe
04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
If I want to play Resident Evil: Outbreak, I can get a Playstation 2, thanks.

Xtreme gaTes
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Instead, they could simply do what they said they wanted to do and work on the first game with a few more campaigns based on the L4D1-crew. Like filling some plotholes?
Yes, like explaining what happened to the truck between Crash Course (worst DLC ever) and Death Toll. Or go into further explanation of what happened with John and Amanda on the boat, from Death Toll to Dead Air. Even how the survivors ended up in the woods from Dead Air to Blood Harvest. Come on Valve, there is still so much more you can do with the original Left 4 Dead!