PDA

View Full Version : Florida is ranked 49th out of the 50 states in education for a reason

Achillies
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
If you live in Florida, you'll know that the FCATs were this week. For those, who don't live in Florida, the FCAT stands for Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test. There are 4 different FCAT tests, and depending on what grade you are in, determines which one you'll take. I'll just cover High School. 9th grade, have to take the Writing FCAT, where you have to write an essay. It's by far the shortest and easiest out of all of them. And the Reading FCAT, which you have to read a passage and answer questions on them. 10th, is the same thing as 9th grade, but throw in the Math FCAT, and you're there. 11th is the final year you have to take it and you only have to take the Science FCAT, but it is by far the most difficult out of all of them.

Now I have no problem with taking these forms of tests at all. I've taken them since 2nd grade, and am used to them. But this year, Florida decided to change it up a bit. And when I say "change it up", I mean completely ♥♥♥♥ it up.

Normally, the FCATs are taken on an answer sheet that you use to bubble in your answers and the test book. The Writing and Reading FCATs both were the same, but the Math FCAT was on a computer. Yes, a computer. The subject that requires you to write out your problems to figure them out, you must now take on a computer, where you can't write out problems. All they gave us was a single sheet of "Work Paper", and half of it was taken up by "helpful hints". So I had to take the 58 question test with minimal working. Most of it I had to do in my head. Thank God they even gave us a calculator. And to top of this terrible test, the program was full of bugs. My friend who sat behind me, was having trouble with his computer the whole test. It was slow, not registering his answers, froze several times, etc. But it wasn't the computer that was having the problems, because I've used these computers for classes before and they all run fine. It was, without a doubt, the program. It looks like it was put together by a 6 year-old who was paid in packs of Crayola Crayons. Not to mention not everyone can stare at a screen for hours. I have several friends who can only look at a screen for 30 minutes before they start getting massive headaches.

Now the test, the test was in no way difficult. But the time! Like I said earlier, it wasn't a long test but they gave us 3 hours! I don't need 3 hours! I finished in 55 minutes! I had to sit there, doing absolutely nothing for over 2 hours. We couldn't read, we couldn't listen to music, we couldn't use the computers for anything other then test-taking. It was a terrible waste of a day, and it needs to go back to being on pencil and paper.

dune297
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Every state is like that, it sucks man, but we have to deal with it. :o

Eriako
04-13-2011, 12:54 PM
:confused: We had tests like that my in state as well.

I'm confused about how your thread title is related to your rant, though.

Parliamentarian
04-13-2011, 12:54 PM
So... Which state is ranked 50th?

envirovore
04-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Heh, there's a reason Florida has it's own tag on Fark.

Unsurprisingly, Florida being ranked nearly last in terms of education has a lot to do with it (stupid people do a lot of stupid things).

Lcpuche
04-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah i live in Florida, Scored the highest in english after just living here 3 years... FCAT is BS, they'll still pass you if you fail miserable anyways so it's a waste of money too.

Today I'm home because of fcat :P Seniors ftw!

Achillies
04-13-2011, 12:59 PM
:confused: We had tests like that my in state as well.

I'm confused about how your thread title is related to your rant, though.
It's just new and in no way, shape, or form any better then the old way. Even though they say "You'll do 4% better if you take it on the computer" Woo! 4%, that's like a whole 2 questions! And because Florida's ranked 49th out of 50, and it shows because this method of taking the FCAT is absolutely idiotic.

I heard it's either Alabama or Arkansas.

bluz74
04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Which state is ranked 51st?

taylynne
04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
washington had something called the WASL but they changed the name after I got out of high school. Honestly, I find those test to be a large waste of time. I moved to washington half way through high school, and my previous school had some test ♥♥♥♥ but it wasn't like the WASL & wasn't doing the same stuff as the wasl.
I came here and they freaked about the lack of testing I had, and tried to get me into "stupid" classes, and complained when I didn't take any math classes after calc. (for senior year) They also pissed me off and forced me to take the tests during the summer on my birthday.

I think what the tests do is just hurt people. I know the math teachers over here hate the WASL, cause so many people fail the math part, and so they're required to take another year of math.

Fox_McCloud
04-13-2011, 01:10 PM
This makes me appreciate my education system, for our maths test its 1hr 30m and we do it all on PAPER, lots of lovely paper. :D

Garbagemanfight
04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah I think every state has a test like that now due to the No Child Left Behind Act instituted by the federal government 10 years ago. The act emphasizes standardized testing as a means of measuring academic achievement and apportions education funding to the states on the basis of being able to demonstrate improvement in scores from year to year.

The public high school I attended was already a high performing school and so because they couldn't demonstrate any improvement in the test scores (due to ceiling effects of already having 90+ percentile scoring), they were flagged as a 'problem school' under the system with the threat of losing funding if improvement isn't shown in X number of years.

Anyways, computer based tests are becoming more and more common. I had a number of university classes where you took the test online (though they were all easy classes to begin with). The GRE test I took to get into graduate school was also done on computer for all sections (verbal/quantitative/writing), though you can use as much scratch paper as you want and leave once you've finished the test.

Who_Ate_Mah_Pah
04-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Canada?

Z4b3r
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Georgia is worse.

My school is focusing on the eleventh graders because if they do not pass, our school will have administers from the state to ensure that the teachers are doing their job correctly, which is a result of my school failing to meet the required grade standards for perhaps 4 years in a row, while doing so completely ignoring the other grades and not helping us prepare for the tests.

Also the teachers are bad. What would have taken weeks for them to teach I learned in 10 minutes via google search.

TimM
04-13-2011, 01:57 PM
You can't actually walk away when you are done? We have always been able too. Or simply just choose not to use a computer, or bring your own computer for that matter.

Some of my exams have taken as long as 8 hours, but I guess that is higher up in the educational system and if I was done after three hours, I just went home.

Xain666
04-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Texas would be rated 50th but they made up their own criteria for education.

NiteHyeway
04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Texas would be rated 50th but they made up their own criteria for education.

I say we give Texas back to Mexico!:p

MattArch18
04-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I say we give Texas back to Mexico!:p

Nah brah, we'll just go back to doing the whole "Republic" thing and laugh about not having to pay the deficit.

;)

Ihavenoidea
04-13-2011, 02:35 PM
That only tells me the kids in Florida dont pay attention. Its not the teacher's fault, you cant grab the kid by his ears and make him look at you when youre talking. Teachers can only do so much.

joeylawn
04-13-2011, 02:39 PM
I heard it's either Alabama or Arkansas.

I don't think it's Alabama.

Wahsinton, DC.

Lazychip
04-13-2011, 02:48 PM

Which state do you live in?

SM darren
04-13-2011, 02:49 PM
we had something like this in michigan years ago, but it was still in the process of being statewide

it was on a computer, A/B/C/D type questions, and you couldn't go on to the next one until you got the question right, and your score was based on time it takes you to finish.

10 minutes into the test me and a friend figured out we could just right click on the 'submit' button (where you would normally left click to submit your answer) and click 'open link in new tab'

just did this, closed the last page and finished the entire 75 question test in 20 minutes.

i'm hoping the newer version of this test isn't the same one we took. if it is, i'd lose all faith in the school system.

schnitzeljaeger
04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
This makes me appreciate my education system, for our maths test its 1hr 30m and we do it all on PAPER, lots of lovely paper. :D

yeah, the German education system is being ripped apart by critics all the time but when in comparison to the US standards it is just brilliant :)

Achillies
04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
You can't actually walk away when you are done? We have always been able too. Or simply just choose not to use a computer, or bring your own computer for that matter.

Some of my exams have taken as long as 8 hours, but I guess that is higher up in the educational system and if I was done after three hours, I just went home.

Nope, you can't just walk away. You'll get your test invalidated and OSS.

Yea Florida! :rolleyes:

Mr.Master
04-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Damn, I'm in the 8th grade in Florida taking the FCAT and all we have to read some passages (some were actually interesting) and bubble in some circles. Your highschool math FCAT test sounds like a pain in the ♥♥♥. :o

TimM
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Most of my exams have lasted 8 hours and I always chose paper over computer. So much better.
Math was six boring hours though.

Valerianus
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
In Massachusetts, we had something called the MCAS. I took it about four years ago, when I was in the tenth grade.

You could take the entire day to take the exam if you wanted to. Some people would come into the room just to sleep and take the test in the afternoon.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Most of my exams have lasted 8 hours and I always chose paper over computer. So much better.
Math was six boring hours though.

I don't mind if it's 3 hours or 26 hours, but as long as they give us enough material to cover that time. They gave us 45 minutes worth of work to do in 3 hours. And we couldn't do anything once we finished. I had to sit there in a stuffy room doing absolutely nothing...

Yiffles
04-13-2011, 07:54 PM
On broken computerized tests: When I took my driving test, I opted for pencil and paper version. But someone told me the computer version is flash-based, and you can just right-click and hit back to re-do questions, and his friend cheated that way to get a perfect score.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 07:56 PM
On broken computerized tests: When I took my driving test, I opted for pencil and paper version. But someone told me the computer version is flash-based, and you can just right-click and hit back to re-do questions, and his friend cheated that way to get a perfect score.

I did the same.

*Looks around shamefully*

joeylawn
04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I did the same.

*Looks around shamefully*

At least you didn't cheat on the driving part. :eek: :D

Achillies
04-13-2011, 08:00 PM
At least you didn't cheat on the driving part. :eek: :D

I was trying to figure out how you would go about doing that.

Then my mind went to dark places. Daaaark places.

Soldierman1945
04-13-2011, 08:05 PM
I was trying to figure out how you would go about doing that.

Then my mind went to dark places. Daaaark places.

Slipping the instructor $50 is dark?

Achillies
04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Slipping the instructor $50 is dark?

I was thinking more along the lines of a Chili's Gift Card.
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 27 seconds.

A Guy
04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I completely fail to see how taking a test on a computer is any worse in any way than taking one on paper.

When I went to middle school in Florida, I HATED the fact that the FCATs were on paper. Then I went to high school in Virginia and loved the online SOLs MUCH better (They are also a LOT easier :)).

If you have a calculator on a math test, what possible reason could you have to write stuff down?... even if you do need more paper, I'm sure they would have given you another sheet if you just asked. About the problems your friend had, I think it's just the computer, but if you're completely certain it's the program's fault, perhaps you should call or email and complain about it, because they really need to fix it if it has problems.

It seems obvious that you don't like to use computers, but technology is growing, and most likely I think, for any job you get, you'll be staring at a computer screen quite a bit, so you need to get used to it.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 08:30 PM
I completely fail to see how taking a test on a computer is any worse in any way than taking one on paper.

When I went to middle school in Florida, I HATED the fact that the FCATs were on paper. Then I went to high school in Virginia and loved the online SOLs MUCH better (They are also a LOT easier :)).

If you have a calculator on a math test, what possible reason could you have to write stuff down?... even if you do need more paper, I'm sure they would have given you another sheet if you just asked. About the problems your friend had, I think it's just the computer, but if you're completely certain it's the program's fault, perhaps you should call or email and complain about it, because they really need to fix it if it has problems.

It seems obvious that you don't like to use computers, but technology is growing, and most likely I think, for any job you get, you'll be staring at a computer screen quite a bit, so you need to get used to it.

I have no problems with computers, but paper tests can't crash and wipe all your answers...

Achillies
04-13-2011, 08:35 PM
I think it has more to do with the money spent when teachers everywhere are getting laid off.

But I could be wrong. I'm not to quick on the uptake. I didn't have computers in school. All the grades where in one class room and we had to share one book. :(

And my Uncle is a multi-millionaire that lives in the Caribbean, yet he never sends us any money...

bluz74
04-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Hey! I deleted that because it was in the wrong thread! :mad:

A Guy
04-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I have no problems with computers, but paper tests can't crash and wipe all your answers...

And who do you have to blame for that?... certainly not computers themselves, but the people who designed them or the programs that run on them.

I do agree that people who design for computers, for the most part, don't do a good job, but this test should have been designed to store the answers server-side, perhaps backed up on multiple machines while you take it so you can't possibly lose your answers... don't know if they actually did it that way or not.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 08:41 PM
And who do you have to blame for that?... certainly not computers themselves, but the people who designed them or the programs that run on them.

I do agree that people who design for computers, for the most part, don't do a good job, but this test should have been designed to store the answers server-side, perhaps backed up on multiple machines while you take it so you can't possibly lose your answers... don't know if they actually did it that way or not.

I have no way of telling either, but my friend's test crashed on him multiple times. And like I said before. I'm 100% positive that it wasn't the computer that was causing the problems. In my opinion, it would have been a much better idea to put the Reading FCAT on the computer, because no writing is necessary for that.

And about the "If you have a calculator, you don't need to write out any work." comment, the calculator they gave us is some 4-function calculator. Not a scientific one. There is a lot of stuff on the test that the calculator couldn't do.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 08:43 PM

I'm sorry :'(

Forgive me?

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 34 seconds.

A Guy
04-13-2011, 08:45 PM
And about the "If you have a calculator, you don't need to write out any work." comment, the calculator they gave us is some 4-function calculator. Not a scientific one. There is a lot of stuff on the test that the calculator couldn't do.

Fair enough, but I still think they would have given you another sheet if you just asked.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Fair enough, but I still think they would have given you another sheet if you just asked.

I'm sure they would have, but the fact they they were so ill-prepared this year was quite sad. I hope it goes back to paper and pencil. It was much better.

Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Achillies
04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Heh, there's a reason Florida has it's own tag on Fark.

Unsurprisingly, Florida being ranked nearly last in terms of education has a lot to do with it (stupid people do a lot of stupid things).

Fark?

A Guy
04-13-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm sure they would have, but the fact they they were so ill-prepared this year was quite sad. I hope it goes back to paper and pencil. It was much better.

Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Like I said, I really like the online testing MUCH better than paper tests, and I'm sure there are others like me too. I find it easier to click a button and press next than to fill in a bubble on a sheet of paper.

But I think the more important reason is that they don't want to waste paper. It's much more costly for them to print out all the paper and provide the pencils than to just do it online.

I personally hope we will stop using paper completely at one point and only use digital devices for notes or communication. It does seem to be the better way.

OmegaXtreme420
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
FCAT is so stupid i lived in florida but its funny jeb bush couldn't even get the questions right

flipster103
04-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Come to Massachusetts, where ranked number 1 in education. You'll want to rip your hair out because of what they teach us. We take something called MCAS (Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System).

We're literally trained on how to do these certain types of college level problems and essays.

Anyone notice though, that all the New England states are ranked highest in education??

EDIT: Just realized a 2011 report came out with Massachusetts ranked #1.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 09:08 PM
FCAT is so stupid i lived in florida but its funny jeb bush couldn't even get the questions right

Jeb Bush was just as bad as his brother. And Charlie Crist didn't help, either.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Come to Massachusetts, where ranked number 2 in education. You'll want to rip your hair out because of what they teach us. We take something called MCAS (Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System).

We're literally trained on how to do these certain types of college level problems and essays. Like I said, you come to Massachusetts, and you'll be overwhelmed.

Anyone notice though, that all the New England states are ranked highest in education??

Don't talk about New England. I'm a hardcore Miami Dolphins fan.

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 25 seconds.

OmegaXtreme420
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Jeb Bush was just as bad as his brother. And Charlie Crist didn't help, either.

crist was better than both and rick scott is pretty bad but let's not turn this into a political thread and i don't live in florida anymore but i do miss living here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_Beach

chaplain_wu
04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
And y'all think Canada is backwards...

Achillies
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
crist was better than both and rick scott is pretty bad but let's not turn this into a political thread and i don't live in florida anymore but i do miss living here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_Beach

Scott knows how to run a company and (hopefully) uses that to keep Florida's economy afloat.

Also, you were in Cocoa Beach? That's a beautiful place. I'm in Dunedin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin,_Florida).

A Guy
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I feel like moving back to Florida once I finish college...

OmegaXtreme420
04-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Scott knows how to run a company and (hopefully) uses that to keep Florida's economy afloat.

Also, you were in Cocoa Beach? That's a beautiful place. I'm in Dunedin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin,_Florida).

what did i just say :O and yes it was :d now i live in south carolina
edit: omg that is way nicer than cocoa beach

BlazingNova
04-13-2011, 09:15 PM
washington had something called the WASL but they changed the name after I got out of high school. Honestly, I find those test to be a large waste of time. I moved to washington half way through high school, and my previous school had some test ♥♥♥♥ but it wasn't like the WASL & wasn't doing the same stuff as the wasl.
I came here and they freaked about the lack of testing I had, and tried to get me into "stupid" classes, and complained when I didn't take any math classes after calc. (for senior year) They also jarateed me off and forced me to take the tests during the summer on my birthday.

I think what the tests do is just hurt people. I know the math teachers over here hate the WASL, cause so many people fail the math part, and so they're required to take another year of math.

The new test is the HSPE I just finished it up yesterday, it's pitifully easy.

K1ller_P1ckle
04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
In Arizona we have the AIMS.

Getting an exceeding score on these isn't a joking matter, the difference between getting an exceeding score on all four and only exceeding three can be a brick wall between you and a $31,000 scholarship.

Yet of course, absolutely no one at my high school takes them seriously, and half the people manage to fail them even though they are by far easier all together than freshman level english, math, and science. It's sad. :o

Achillies
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
what did i just say :O and yes it was :d now i live in south carolina
edit: omg that is way nicer than cocoa beach

Sorry :P

We're also home to Florida's oldest Microbrewery :D

firecracker404
04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
In California, we have STAR testing (Reading, Writing, Math, Science tests). And like everyone else's tests, it's a giant waste of time.

You finish in half the time or less that they give you
You have to sit and do nothing if you finish early
At my school, the teachers freak out about it every year and force everyone to do packets upon packets of review work (They're easy, there's just so much of it).

It's not as bad as what I hear about from Florida, but it's still annoying. Thank God I'm a senior now.
Also, it's funny. None of the students really care. There's usually a bunch of people who completely blow off the test (scantron bubble art!) and use the time for sleep. The schoolboard in my district had to threaten putting STAR test scores on our HS transcripts to make students give a damn.

Achillies
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
In California, we have STAR testing (Reading, Writing, Math, Science tests). And like everyone else's tests, it's a giant waste of time.

You finish in half the time or less that they give you
You have to sit and do nothing if you finish early
At my school, the teachers freak out about it every year and force everyone to do packets upon packets of review work (They're easy, there's just so much of it).

It's not as bad as what I hear about from Florida, but it's still annoying. Thank God I'm a senior now.
Also, it's funny. None of the students really care. There's usually a bunch of people who completely blow off the test (scantron bubble art!) and use the time for sleep. The schoolboard in my district had to threaten putting STAR test scores on our HS transcripts to make students give a damn.

No one cares about the FCATs except for the School Board.

Whatus
04-13-2011, 09:56 PM
What is Washington ranked at?

Achillies
04-14-2011, 04:09 AM
What is Washington ranked at?

No clue.

Europhoria
04-14-2011, 04:57 AM

The US education system at work. :rolleyes:

Masterclown
04-14-2011, 05:09 AM
And y'all think Canada is backwards...

Not backwards, just ǝpısdn uʍop.

żǝɹǝɥʇ pıp ı ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs 'ɐɥɐɥɐɥɐɥ

˙pǝddıןɟ ןןıʇs sı ʇxǝʇ ʎɯ 'ǝʇnuıɯ ɐ ʇıɐʍ

ĦĦĦdןɐɐɐɐɥ żɟɟo ʇı uɹnʇ ı op ʍoɥ

Achillies
04-14-2011, 08:44 AM
The US education system at work. :rolleyes:

Aren't we awesome?

leaf
04-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Up here in canada our tests are pretty tough. not that tough but tough enough to make sure people have a friggin clue when they graduate.

Achillies
04-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Up here in canada our tests are pretty tough. not that tough but tough enough to make sure people have a friggin clue when they graduate.

I'm not saying the test was difficult. It wasn't too bad. I didn't have to guess often, but the length of it and the shoddy programing was the downfall of it.

envirovore
04-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Fark?

It's not news, it's Fark (www.fark.com)
(only, it is news...well, sometimes..)

Achillies
04-14-2011, 03:35 PM
It's not news, it's Fark (www.fark.com)
(only, it is news...well, sometimes..)

Oh Lord...

Parents end up in court after letting their child miss 55 days of school. Since this is Florida, that's equivalent to missing 2 days in a non-Florida school

Sounds about right...

KeRupTion
04-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I did all the FCAT testing. Even though it is ridiculously easy, a large portion of students still fail it. I don't think you can entirely blame the education system. A lot of students just seem dumb.

cplcarlman
04-14-2011, 05:49 PM
I teach in Florida, and contrary to popular belief, Florida is not ranked 49th in education. Education Week just ranked Florida 5th in the nation (http://www.thebradentontimes.com/index.php?cid=2863869&src=news&refno=3318&category=Schools%20and%20Education&curlid=8597). FCAT is slowly but surely going away. I hate to tell you guys that will be coming into high school in Florida in the future what is taking its place. For example, this is what's coming on the math side of education:

Students entering 9th grade next year will be required to:
Take an end-of-course test at the end of Algebra I in 9th grade, Geometry in 10th grade, and all subsequent math courses. If the student does not pass this test, they will not get credit for the course REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEIR GRADE IN THE CLASS WAS.

I understand there were several issues at my school with the Math FCAT on computer as well. In fact, I'll be moderating a test tomorrow during my 3rd period and I am not looking forward to it. However, as has been stated by many people already, every state has testing that must be given to assess student ability. This is required by the federal government and "No Child Left Behind".

Kibblesman
04-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Last time I checked, the MEAP (Michigan's version of the FCAT) still uses bubble sheets.

Somethings are just not meant to be on the computer.

Achillies
04-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I teach in Florida, and contrary to popular belief, Florida is not ranked 49th in education. Education Week just ranked Florida 5th in the nation (http://www.thebradentontimes.com/index.php?cid=2863869&src=news&refno=3318&category=Schools%20and%20Education&curlid=8597). FCAT is slowly but surely going away. I hate to tell you guys that will be coming into high school in Florida in the future what is taking its place. For example, this is what's coming on the math side of education:

Students entering 9th grade next year will be required to:
Take an end-of-course test at the end of Algebra I in 9th grade, Geometry in 10th grade, and all subsequent math courses. If the student does not pass this test, they will not get credit for the course REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEIR GRADE IN THE CLASS WAS.

I understand there were several issues at my school with the Math FCAT on computer as well. In fact, I'll be moderating a test tomorrow during my 3rd period and I am not looking forward to it. However, as has been stated by many people already, every state has testing that must be given to assess student ability. This is required by the federal government and "No Child Left Behind".

Up to 5th, huh? Well that's quite the jump. Now I can be a little more proud. If you don't mind me asking, is anything changing with the Science FCAT that I'll be taking next year?

And about the Algebra I and Geometry test, is that going to be replacing the FCAT or just an additional test that does the same thing as the FCAT?

Also, have fun moderating the Math FCAT tomorrow. 3 hours of time for an hour and 10 minute test. I don't know if you have any pull what so ever, but you could get much farther in the School Board then a student could. You should put in a complaint about the time limit. It's far too long. The test isn't that hard where we need that amount of time. By the time we were allowed to leave the room, it was half way through 5th period (My school only has 7 periods a day) so my day was over, I had about 6 minutes for lunch. An hour and a half, maybe 2 hours max, is more then plenty. I understand that it's new, and they want to give the kids the maximum amount of time because it's not on paper anymore. But it's not necessary. They have testing rooms that give the kids all the time they need, for a reason.

cplcarlman
04-15-2011, 04:04 AM
Up to 5th, huh? Well that's quite the jump. Now I can be a little more proud. If you don't mind me asking, is anything changing with the Science FCAT that I'll be taking next year?

And about the Algebra I and Geometry test, is that going to be replacing the FCAT or just an additional test that does the same thing as the FCAT?

Also, have fun moderating the Math FCAT tomorrow. 3 hours of time for an hour and 10 minute test. I don't know if you have any pull what so ever, but you could get much farther in the School Board then a student could. You should put in a complaint about the time limit. It's far too long. The test isn't that hard where we need that amount of time. By the time we were allowed to leave the room, it was half way through 5th period (My school only has 7 periods a day) so my day was over, I had about 6 minutes for lunch. An hour and a half, maybe 2 hours max, is more then plenty. I understand that it's new, and they want to give the kids the maximum amount of time because it's not on paper anymore. But it's not necessary. They have testing rooms that give the kids all the time they need, for a reason.

This year's 10th graders are the last class that will have to take FCAT math. The end-of-course tests will replace the FCAT.

I don't know if science will be on the list next year or not. I'm sure the decision has been made, I just don't know what the decision is.

Finally, I have zero pull with the state regarding the length of the test. I wish the time was much shorter as well. I kind of like what they did with the reading FCAT this year by splitting it up over 2 days with 70 minute sessions each. I doubt they would ever do that to math though.

Achillies
04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
This year's 10th graders are the last class that will have to take FCAT math. The end-of-course tests will replace the FCAT.

I don't know if science will be on the list next year or not. I'm sure the decision has been made, I just don't know what the decision is.

Finally, I have zero pull with the state regarding the length of the test. I wish the time was much shorter as well. I kind of like what they did with the reading FCAT this year by splitting it up over 2 days with 70 minute sessions each. I doubt they would ever do that to math though.

The reading FCAT was piss easy this year. The fact that they split it up over 2 days just added to that.

I'm not saying they should split the Math FCAT up over 2 days, but they should either reduce the time, or let us leave when we're done. Also fixing the buggy programming would be nice as well.

Who_Ate_Mah_Pah
04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
In Massachusetts, we had something called the MCAS. I took it about four years ago, when I was in the tenth grade.

You could take the entire day to take the exam if you wanted to. Some people would come into the room just to sleep and take the test in the afternoon.

I take it every year in my school lol.

marie pavie
04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
We had Regents exams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regents_Examinations#Required_exams).

ShadowMask6
04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Wish i had that easy crap sometimes in NY, just all of this earth science is deathly boring. Plus the teachers don't help one bit when it comes to the learning process. Hell, i could look up things on google and learn more in 30 mins then i do in an hour in one of my classes. Especially in the history classes, my teacher didn't even know what the German navy was called during WW2. (Kriegsmarine for those wondering) Damn the public education system -_-.

Lethal_Sting
04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Heh, I had tests in 5th grade more challenging then those FCAT tests.

It was so stupid, come Feb-March, and the teachers just throw out the window whatever subject they were teaching so we can "practice" for FailCAT.

And our funding is so brilliant: Lets give all the money to those schools doing well, instead of those who could use the money to find better educators.

@cpl, what district do you teach in?

-E- went to look for funny exam answers:

http://www.antaresonline.com/2011/02/18/amusing-exam-answers/
http://funnyexam.com/
http://www.funnyexamanswers.com/

Achillies
04-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Heh, I had tests in 5th grade more challenging then those FCAT tests.

It was so stupid, come Feb-March, and the teachers just throw out the window whatever subject they were teaching so we can "practice" for FailCAT.

And our funding is so brilliant: Lets give all the money to those schools doing well, instead of those who could use the money to find better educators.

@cpl, what district do you teach in?

-E- went to look for funny exam answers:

http://www.antaresonline.com/2011/02/18/amusing-exam-answers/
http://funnyexam.com/
http://www.funnyexamanswers.com/

I just laughed my ♥♥♥ off. Thanks for the links.