PDA

View Full Version : Wanna know something I hate?

halbarad_loire
04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
People randomly adding me to friends list to ask me to buy them something.

I get a random friend request. I think "oh, wonder who this is". I then check the profile and always a group or something in common so I'm thinking it's somebody who wants to go on a game or something together so I just accept it.

Then I speak to them. Within the first few minutes it's always "you could buy me [insert game here]", "can you give me [game]" or something along those lines.
It's annoying as hell for a few reasons - The first is the general selfish nature of the people, I was part of a group that did do that for people but all that happened it was around 10 people who were willing to help people out and hundreds of beggers. I gifted games for a few people and after that a load of people just adding me to friends asking for things then when I said I couldn't for whatever reason (usually my money was tied up) I just get about 20 minutes of begging followed by the person moaning at me then removing me from the friends list.

I can agree that it was partially my own fault for even joining the group and expecting something different.

Now though, I'm not a part of the group and all I get is the same thing. Happened again just now (thus the thread).
I've noticed one thing though, they're always around 17 or younger (the ones I've seen the age of).

I wonder if there's actually a rule against it though? Or if not, there sure as hell should be.

Anybody else had this sort of problem or are you all just generally smarter than me? D:

stillmatic07
04-14-2011, 01:42 PM
I've had this problem actually. Twice.

"DO U HAVE 5 DOLLARS PLOX I GAME NEED"
"Sorry I don't."
"PLEEEEEEEEEEASE"
"No."
"I WANT GAME"
"NOOO!"

velvetmeds
04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
I never accept requests. I press ignore ALL the time.

λLλN
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Ha it was the opposite for me, I added someone and offered them Portal :D

bluz74
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM
I never get requests.

:)

I don't understand the friend collection thing. I think I have no more then 8-10 people on my list and 5 of them I know IRL.

halbarad_loire
04-14-2011, 01:49 PM
I never accept requests. I press ignore ALL the time.

I'm certainly getting close to doing that. I've had a few people who added me from us just being in the same group though and still talk to them and play games so it's not always bad. Just the bad outweighs the good by about 100 to 1.

velvetmeds
04-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Do you want me to ruin your sweet sixteen? :mad:

λLλN
04-14-2011, 01:51 PM

I don't understand the friend collection thing. I think I have no more then 8-10 people on my list and 5 of them I know IRL.

Says the guy who is filled with rep

real4xor
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
lol, I don`t mind, they can all go `n beg. 9 out of 10 I`m doing something else anyway, so I`m too busy to be annoyed by it, or not even @ my computer.

:/ probably would just block them if they actually get annoying.

I accept all chat requests tho, some people actually just want to chat too.

Europhoria
04-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Make your profile either friends only or private so they can't see how your profile is overflowing with gaming goodness. You should also try to keep to people you play/talk with often. I still for some reason get people PM'ing me asking them to buy them games. No idea why, it's not like they can see my games list. I still beg Suomis for a gaem but so far no success. :(

Whatus
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM

10:1 Rep to Posts. Wow.

I want to +rep, but that would break it... :p

BS_1
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I always expect random friend requests to be scammers; I usually add them to get some entertainment only to find out they want something else.

Although, do people still try and scam now that Steam Guard is out?

HellJumper
04-14-2011, 04:56 PM

I originally didn't have that many people either, but then once one of the hats I sent to Valve got put into TF2, everyone wanted to be my friend all of a sudden.

Isy
04-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Never had that problem.

Kibblesman
04-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Never happens to me, I only friend people that I've played with.

A Guy
04-14-2011, 05:07 PM
I never get these. The people who add me on Steam are people who genuinely want to be friends and perhaps play games in the future. I've only gotten maybe 2 requests from random people I've never played a game with, and I just ignore those.

Anlashok
04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Lol, we just had someone else here post a long drawn out chat long of some kid adding him and asking him to buy an admin slot on his server, then asking him to buy him a game. I could not believe the nerve of some of these ppl.

Eriako
04-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I never get invites from those people. The panda avatar must frighten them.

Excygy
04-14-2011, 05:52 PM
nobody ever told me that...but then again i dont play on kiddies servers so no one of them will add me as a friend.

Europhoria
04-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I never get invites from those people. The panda avatar must frighten them.

It might also be your voice. :eek:

Eldar
04-14-2011, 06:41 PM

For me, it just seems to accumulate over time. I've got 250 or so and I know just about all of them, but half haven't been online in years.

Can't say I've had anyone random ask me to buy a game for them. I've had people who I've had on my friends list for a while ask however.

Eriako
04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
It might also be your voice. :eek:

You mean my laugh. HA HA HA HA HA!

Flurgorg
04-14-2011, 08:38 PM
You mean my laugh. HA HA HA HA HA!

Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0)?!

That is pretty disturbing..

DocZ
04-15-2011, 09:23 AM
never happens to me....
I don't even get random friend requests.... If I get a friend request it's only from a guy I just played with and he wants me to join his clan or whetever because they need good players...

Nice try, sucking up to me doesn't work (mostly;)), plus I don't do the clan thing either...

Oliolli
04-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Make your profile either friends only or private so they can't see how your profile is overflowing with gaming goodness. You should also try to keep to people you play/talk with often. I still for some reason get people PM'ing me asking them to buy them games. No idea why, it's not like they can see my games list. I still beg Suomis for a gaem but so far no success. :(

Hey, it's not his fault you're an ogre.