PDA

View Full Version : Explosion at the Portal 2 Forums; casualties uncertain,

Masterclown
04-15-2011, 10:49 AM
reports are coming in of many threads being killed off or locked away after a timer expired less than two hours ago.

Anyway, if any of you are potato pack owners, please do your part in helping to get Portal2 released a weee bit earlier.

KK_reborn
04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah, you wait for that moment of pure EPICNESS and then that timer reaches 0.....and......and......wait for it....buy more potato sacks. So NOT epic.

MADDOGGE
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I take it a bunch of people raged hard when it didn't release early and the Mods had to take matters into their own hands? :D

I think it has more to do with the people that already own the games playing them than new people buying. She is recruiting CPU's not potatoes. Who knows though, Valve has been known to be tacky on occasion.

Relto
04-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the report. Now get back into the warzone and keep us updated.

marie pavie
04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUs_4Aue-fw

bluz74
04-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Now would be the time to launch pototoes from a spud gun at them and watch them rejoice.

Lister
04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
I have the potato sack but not portal 2 so i dont feel obliged to help

MaximilianZakes
04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Some users in the Half-Life 2: Episode 2 thread also suffered injuries. We hoped and wished that we'd get some kind of Episode 3 hint. When we found out it was basically a videogame version of "Drink more Ovaltine", the disappointment was awful. I know ... I was one of them. :(

You can see it on the "Podcast" thread.

Sgt.Gotee
04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Better not play any of the games in the pack, then. You might accidentally help release a game early.

AlphaFox
04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
I took part in the first ARG but this one is taking it a bit too far it seems? Telling people to buy the games and stuff...

Sgt.Gotee
04-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Eh, I don't really see a problem with promoting good games since it's done in pretty good taste. Not to mention a lot of people already had some of the games in the list and can also help contribute without buying the entire pack.

Masterclown
04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUs_4Aue-fw

Such could apply to so many other forums here :)

Masterclown
04-15-2011, 11:34 AM

When good SPUFFers fail to act, evil triumphs...

Pebr
04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm probably not even going to have time to play it if it gets released early anyway... Even then, i'm not nearly excited enough about the game to care.

AsheMan
04-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Are we sure that rebooting GLaDOS is a good idea? Let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

Lcpuche
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Are we sure that rebooting GLaDOS is a good idea? Let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

What could possibly go wrong?

bluz74
04-15-2011, 12:36 PM
What could possibly go wrong?

This? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS28hU84Vg4&feature=player_embedded)

Lcpuche
04-15-2011, 12:45 PM

GGHHAAAAAAAA!!

*drops dead*

AlphaFox
04-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Haha epic!

Zero_Vector
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I preordered a physical copy so this won't affect me at all :(

Although if it unlocks on Sunday I might cancel that preorder and just buy it off steam.

MADDOGGE
04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
This? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS28hU84Vg4&feature=player_embedded)Damn bluz I almost suicided.

Luckily I did not fall for the info on Ep3/HL3 trap this time.:cool::cool:

Masterclown
04-15-2011, 02:00 PM

That was completely uncalled for!

Sgt.Gotee
04-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I reported bluz for that. Absolutely NSFW.

lazy6pyro
04-15-2011, 02:12 PM
reports are coming in of many threads being killed off or locked away after a timer expired less than two hours ago.

Anyway, if any of you are potato pack owners, please do your part in helping to get Portal2 released a weee bit earlier.

Idiot fans have knee-jerk reactions on a forum happens all the time.

GirlPower23
04-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I see now why the other indie developers were involved. But I want to know how Razer is involved. I would love Portal 2 themed Razer hardware.. <3

Snorkel
04-15-2011, 02:32 PM
It's like SETI@Home, except minutely less lame!

I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't delete ALL of my potato games to avoid annoying updates. *goes off to play AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!*

Snorkel
04-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Woah. Look at the number of people playing The Wonderful End of the World compared to the other games.

It must be a really good game!

Flyingcow1103
04-15-2011, 04:03 PM
6 hours back I was ready to play p2 tonight, doesn't look like its gonna happen, oh well.

iBMe
04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Nice to see valve promoting independent game sales like this.

GirlPower23
04-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Nice to see valve promoting independent game sales like this.

Half the threads in the Portal 2 forum would disagree with you. Most are jaded portal 2 players who assumed it was coming out today. I just get a chuckle out of it. My favourite threads have been the ones saying how greedy Valve is being and they are only trying to cash in. Le sigh.

fr00bl3t
04-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, you wait for that moment of pure EPICNESS and then that timer reaches 0.....and......and......wait for it....buy more potato sacks. So NOT epic.

You don't have to have the potato pack to help. I got a potato from bit trip beat even though I didn't buy the potato pack.

HL_Maniac
04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Half the threads in the Portal 2 forum would disagree with you. Most are jaded portal 2 players who assumed it was coming out today. I just get a chuckle out of it. My favourite threads have been the ones saying how greedy Valve is being and they are only trying to cash in. Le sigh.

Aren't they though?

I haven't really been following the Portal 2 release so I'm not exactly sure what's going on. But from what I understand they're sitting there with the finished game and the "release" button, and holding off hiting it until a certain number of games have been bought? Seems a bit cheeky.

Or have I got it all wrong? Like I said I haven't been paying much attention. Ordered the game and will just play it when I can.

GirlPower23
04-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Aren't they though?

I haven't really been following the Portal 2 release so I'm not exactly sure what's going on. But from what I understand they're sitting there with the finished game and the "release" button, and holding off hiting it until a certain number of games have been bought? Seems a bit cheeky.

Or have I got it all wrong? Like I said I haven't been paying much attention. Ordered the game and will just play it when I can.

You got it wrong. It's like Folding@Home, you are "Lending" Cpu power to GLaDOS to startup portal 2 early by playing any of the Potato Sack games. You don't have to buy the Sack or have to own them all. Like I only have Defense Grid and I been playing that all morning and afternoon to contribute. Purchasing one of the games and not playing it actually harms the contribution effort. However you are being asked to play games that you enjoy to unlock another game you will enjoy.. Thats not a bad thing at all. The amount of Potatos collected from said games also contribute to boosting the entire process. It's all quite nice.

Snorkel
04-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Hang on, I'd been thinking the bars next to the games were the number of people currently playing them (on this page http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/)

But The Wonderful End of the world only has 2,209 and is over 50% full where Super Meat Boy has 3,025 and is only slightly full.

So what do the bars represent? :confused:

Edit:

And the "Computations Completed For Launch bar seems to have room for each white bar being 1%...so it's currently at ~10.6%

GirlPower23
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Hang on, I'd been thinking the bars next to the games were the number of people currently playing them (on this page http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/)

But The Wonderful End of the world only has 2,209 and is over 50% full where Super Meat Boy has 3,025 and is only slightly full.

So what do the bars represent? :confused:

Edit:

And the "Computations Completed For Launch bar seems to have room for each white bar being 1%...so it's currently at ~10.6%

People are saying the bars represent the amount of users playing who own the game vs the total sold units. If true it means TWEOFW didn't sell very well. ;p

Snorkel
04-15-2011, 04:53 PM
People are saying the bars represent the amount of users playing who own the game vs the total sold units. If true it means TWEOFW didn't sell very well. ;p

Although it would also mean that it's very popular with the people who did buy it. But yeah, those numbers would seem small if that's what they represent.

Perhaps someone missed out a 0 when coding the CPUs bar for TWEOTW

Snorkel
04-15-2011, 05:05 PM
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/blog.php?id=5312&p=1

New blog update with a personality test O_o

lazy6pyro
04-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Aren't they though?

It's going to be released on the 19th regardless. Games are usually sat on for a few weeks to let the distribution channels and the logistics do its thing so it gets to store. When I worked in an electronics store back in my highschool days, we would get the games Friday, Saturday, or sometimes Monday before release day. Couldn't sell it until Tuesday. It's not Valve being "cheeky", it's more about them being GENEROUS for even considering the option for releasing a game that is suppose to be a simultaneous release a few days early on one platform.

Your run-of-the-mill fanboy often doesn't understand how the world works; knee-jerk reactions and rage are the norm when they don't understand things.

Snorkel
04-15-2011, 07:32 PM
The TWEOTW bar is almost at the end now. What does that mean? O_O

Snorkel
04-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Oh. TWEOTW is now at "Computations Complete"...so people should stop playing that and play other potato pack games I guess.

I'll bet it gets down to Amnesia with hardly anyone playing it because it's scary!

MADDOGGE
04-16-2011, 06:37 AM
I'll bet it gets down to Amnesia with hardly anyone playing it because it's scary!I haven't actually played the regular game yet though I have tried to play the ARG level twice. It's not so much it's scary which is:):cool: as it's so dark I literally can't see. Not everyones eyesight is the same. So I'm not having fun but frustrated. I like scary but I do need to be able to see to a certain point especially if I'm being asked to find things.

ledbelly
04-16-2011, 06:45 AM
are we allowed to troll the portal 2 forums? you know like valve sponsored trolling? i mean the countdown was kinda trolling.

i want to see how far we can push them. lol

halbarad_loire
04-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Better not play any of the games in the pack, then. You might accidentally help release a game early.

He's not saying he is intentionally avoiding those games that help. He's just not obligated to drop whatever game he wants to play just to help a game get released early. One hasn't even preordered.

Same goes for me (to an extent). It was around 10 cheaper for me to preorder a boxed copy of Portal 2 so I did. This means my Portal 2 will arrive a set time even if Valve release it early on steam meaning I've no incentive to play the games just to get a game released early for other people.

ssj4brandon
04-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Some users in the Half-Life 2: Episode 2 thread also suffered injuries. We hoped and wished that we'd get some kind of Episode 3 hint. When we found out it was basically a videogame version of "Drink more Ovaltine", the disappointment was awful. I know ... I was one of them. :(

You can see it on the "Podcast" thread.

If Valve would say or show us anything of EP3 then it would be at E3 or some kind of big event. I just don't see them announcing something that big on a website.

Blinxx
04-16-2011, 08:02 AM
If Valve would say or show us anything of EP3 then it would be at E3 or some kind of big event. I just don't see them announcing something that big on a website.

Kind of agree - HL2 was announced at E3 '03.

MaximilianZakes
04-16-2011, 08:33 AM

We weren't expecting a reveal, just a hint. Like a Cave Johnson promo about the Borealis and what its cargo is.

Snorkel
04-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I haven't actually played the regular game yet though I have tried to play the ARG level twice. It's not so much it's scary which is:):cool: as it's so dark I literally can't see. Not everyones eyesight is the same. So I'm not having fun but frustrated. I like scary but I do need to be able to see to a certain point especially if I'm being asked to find things.

Oh, that sounds not fun. Can you turn the gamma right up, or is that a trick game devs don't let people do these days?

marie pavie
04-16-2011, 03:16 PM
One of the pages (http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm) on setting gamma.