PDA

View Full Version : :D Guess what I just realized.

Wolfy4226
04-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Ok, so follow me here.

Portal 2 releases on the 19th, yeah?

And it launches at Midnight.

Steam runs off of Pacific time, I believe,

Therefore, When I get my Copy at the Midnight launch, it should be 10 PM Pacific time. :D (Since I'm in central)

Therefore, if Steam runs off of pacific time like I think, then I'll be playing before the Steam pre-order people. :D

And so will everyone else that isn't on pacific time, if my calculations are correct. :D

FeriIuce
Ok, so follow me here.

Therefore, When I get my Copy at the Midnight launch, it should be 10 PM Pacific time. :D (Since I'm in central)

Therefore, if Steam runs off of pacific time like I think, then I'll be playing before the Steam pre-order people. :D

And so will everyone else that isn't on pacific time, if my calculations are correct. :D

Your calculations are not correct.

DipsetChristmas
its not launching at midnight... 7 am

G-X
04-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Ok, so follow me here.Okay.

Portal 2 releases on the 19th, yeah?Yeah.

And it launches at Midnight.Nope.

Steam runs off of Pacific time, I believe,Yep.

Therefore, When I get my Copy at the Midnight launch, it should be 10 PM Pacific time. :D (Since I'm in central)I...okay?

Therefore, if Steam runs off of pacific time like I think, then I'll be playing before the Steam pre-order people. :DCorrect.

And so will everyone else that isn't on pacific time, if my calculations are correct. :DYour calculations are incorrect, but your conclusion is correct.

17th Knight
And not only that, when the rigged "early release" event gives it to people at midnight on Pacific time, you'll STILL be playing before everyone else!

♥♥♥♥ing valve ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s. Dangle out an IMPOSSIBLE to obtain prize, pretend like we stand a chance of getting this during the weekend, and then laugh in our faces as it dawns on us that the whole thing was a ♥♥♥♥in setup from the beginning.

untalented893
.....huh? The official release time is 7AM Pacific Time April 19th if we don't unlock it early

Gryphonstrom
04-17-2011, 12:59 AM
It releases at the same time for everyone. You'll just get it later if you're hours ahead, and earlier if you're hours behind.

Mercarcher
04-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Unless you get the PC version

In which case it will still be locked till steam says you can play it.

Sonris89
Ok, so follow me here.

Isn't central time ahead of pacific? so wouldn't you get it later?

Edit: nvm I derped.

DipsetChristmas
RELEASE DATE: April 19th, 7AM (PST, -8GMT)

MetalLight
04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Stop being jelly guise. Clearly he's going to get it before everyone else.

BRB while I go back in time to save Lois Lane.

17th Knight
04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Basically, waht this boils down to, is that if you had just bought it on a console instead of the PC, you'd be playing it at midnight on Monday night/Tuesday morning, whereas the people who furiously work to get the game released "early" will, instead, be playing the game ( at best ) at 2am on Tuesday. If they stay up that late.

How...utterly...trite.

Wolfy4226
04-17-2011, 01:03 AM
I'd assume that the CD Key unlocks it for those of us getting the retail version. (Or there's a difference in it)..

It would be rather silly to lock out the people who paid for the Retail Version.

Especially considering that if they did that, they would have to lock out the people who got the PS3 version as well. :D

Soo..looks like I'll be playing it earlier than the steam pre-order people. I'm happy now. ^_^

codykk850
04-17-2011, 01:03 AM
If you get a PC copy at a midnight release you wont play it any earlier than anyone else who got it for PC, you still have to wait for the decryption from steam which comes out when the game launches.

Wolfy4226
04-17-2011, 01:04 AM
http://stores.bestbuy.com/530/announcement/portal-2-midnight-release/

At least one store will be selling it at 12:01am on the 19th... before the official Steam launch.

Gamestop is doing Midnight releases too.

I know, because I'm going to it. :D

Hyperventilate
04-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Stop being jelly guise. Clearly he's going to get it before everyone else.

BRB while I go back in time to save Lois Lane.

Bahahahahahahaha.

I love you.

ShadowLantern
04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
You're overlooking something:

10 PM for you will be 12 AM for PST. The clock time will be different, but you will be playing at the same moment.

(Clock time is relative to your location on Earth. Real time is not.)

raptor67
04-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Well we DID win 3 hours with the ARG

jimmysmitty
04-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Ok, so follow me here.

It would be midnight Pacific, not Eastern.

VALVe always runs on Pacific.

17th Knight
04-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Well we DID win 3 hours with the ARG

Well tra la la. So instead of playing it on Tuesday after work (or school, whatever), we'll instead be playing it on Tuesday after work (or school).

Neat.

kara_bulut
04-17-2011, 01:45 AM
I ♥♥♥♥ing hate Pacific time.

We should all just release everything according to UK time.
Because we all know they are the secret rulers of the world.

CoiledDrake
04-17-2011, 01:51 AM
You're overlooking something:

10 PM for you will be 12 AM for PST. The clock time will be different, but you will be playing at the same moment.

(Clock time is relative to your location on Earth. Real time is not.)

You have it backwards. If his time was 10 PM it would only be 8 PM pacific... The sun moves from east to west.

12 AM (Midnight) on the west coast would be 2 AM central.

And for others... 1 AM Mountain and 3AM Eastern.

rike889
04-17-2011, 02:00 AM

Israel is.

Wolfy4226
04-17-2011, 02:03 AM
You have it backwards. If his time was 10 PM it would only be 8 PM pacific... The sun moves from east to west.

12 AM (Midnight) on the west coast would be 2 AM central.

And for others... 1 AM Mountain and 3AM Eastern.

Exactly. :D

So While I'm playing a midnight, you guys will be waiting for midnight. (Pacific timers)

...Soo...Woot. :D

invops
04-17-2011, 02:09 AM
That's not how time works at all.

Consider the "first" release time. 7AM PST, April 19th.

Notice PST. That means it will be at 9AM CST.

Therefore, if it were to release at 12AM PST, it'd be 2AM CST for you.

Time!

CoiledDrake
04-17-2011, 02:09 AM

So While I'm playing a midnight, you guys will be waiting for midnight. (Pacific timers)

Not quite. If the server is based in the pacific... you won't see results until then... which will be a later time if you're not Pacific.

*sigh* What is so hard about understanding how we rotate?

PS: invops gets it. :)

WhiteY515
04-17-2011, 02:11 AM

All Steam users will be playing BEFORE you because the game will unlock early for us because of this whole Potato thing. So get off your high horse and calm the ♥♥♥♥ down. :rolleyes:

nintyuk
04-17-2011, 02:12 AM

This man speaks seance, it would be very sensible to release games with the time in GMT because that's one of the default time meridians and all other countries could easily convert from it. for example PST people would just have to -8(?) hours off the said time.

ScamperNZ
04-17-2011, 02:34 AM
guys... ultimately, buying a boxed edition IRL provides you with:
a cd to install it up to our current pre-downloaded state.
a cd key to activate it on steam, up to our pre-ordered state

you are then exactly where we are, which is waiting till the PLAY button actually launches the game.

KillaKanl0rd
04-17-2011, 03:01 AM
No matter where you buy it, OP, at no matter what time, you'll be waiting, just like us, until the timer ticks down and says "0 minutes remaining, click to play".

You're not getting anything early. The game releases worldwide at exactly the same time. The same instant. You'll get home with your PC version, gleefully installing, only to see "PRELOAD" where your "PLAY" button should be.

And I will laugh.