PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the next generation of consoles.

Omphofo-Bravo
04-17-2011, 04:05 AM
I've read a few short articles on the possible future for consoles and I'm wondering how much of a leap forward the next generation of consoles would be. Console games today do look very nice but still lack that extra 'oomphf' in performance and resolution. 30 fps and 720p is fine but remember how we were promised 1080p games at 60 fps before the PS3 and 360 were launched? Yes, some games have managed to deliver that like Ratchet and Clank and Wipeout HD but it's not enough, tbh. We've all heard of how consoles are keeping graphics technology from moving forward and holding the PC platform back etc.

Will the Playstaion 4, Xbox720 and Wii HD shorten the gap or close it forever?

Will they be upgradable like the PS3 with it's HDD?

Will the next Xbox still use DVD or something else entirely?

Will PSN and Xbox Live become more like Steam?

Will Nintendo also try to compete over the "hardcore" market by having more mature and better looking games made?

Here are a couple of articles that might give you an idea:

From 512MB to at least 8GB?
http://www.lensoftruth.com/news/crytek-wants-8gb-of-ram-in-next-generation-consoles/When asked about the problems his team encountered when developing Crysis 2 on consoles:

“My finger-pointing at Microsoft/Sony would really be on the memory side,”

“It’s way too low, and the biggest crippling factor from a visual perspective. I would really like to see next-gen console platforms with a minimum of 8GB.”

Wii HD > PS3 & 360?
http://www.lensoftruth.com/news/rumor-wii-hd-is-coming-and-will-be-more-powerful-than-xbox-360-and-ps3/“Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo’s intent is to recapture the hardcore market.”

ShovelyJoe
04-17-2011, 05:16 AM
Extra Credits had a nice segment on this during the week, saying that the console is more evolving to a portable state than a tv-linked setup.

Personally, I agree with your sentiments on customisation. If consoles continue to be a locked platform, they'll fall into obseletion. A lot more people nowadays are interested in games then they were prior to releases of current gen consoles. We're pretty much at the peak of what current gen hardware can do.
What the next gen needs are customisation options, such as upgradeable harddrives, support for other OSs, etc. They need to blur the line more between a device purely for gaming, and a personal computer.

Reinholder
04-17-2011, 05:20 AM
I'm fairly convinced that the next generation xbox console (I refuse to call it something stupid like the 720) will bring more harmony and cohesiveness between the console and PC market - Microsoft, EA and Activision have all talked about the possibility of cross platform gaming in the future, which makes me think that the honus will be upon the service, and not the hardware...Which is a good thing to be honest, because I think it'll allow PC gamers and XBOX gamers to play things like team fortress 2 on the same protocols and servers, for example.

Extra Credits had a nice segment on this during the week, saying that the console is more evolving to a portable state than a tv-linked setup.

Personally, I agree with your sentiments on customisation. If consoles continue to be a locked platform, they'll fall into obseletion. A lot more people nowadays are interested in games then they were prior to releases of current gen consoles. We're pretty much at the peak of what current gen hardware can do.
What the next gen needs are customisation options, such as upgradeable harddrives, support for other OSs, etc. They need to blur the line more between a device purely for gaming, and a personal computer.

I can;t disagree with this more - the number on reason I hear for people opting for a games console over a PC, is that it costs too much to upgrade to suit the recommended specs of the new game of the moment; I think that's completely true. My GTS450 cost £140, and I'm already looking at upgrading to a GTX580 so that I can accomodate a quad core processor - there isn;t that concern with a console...You simply stick the disk in the drive and crack on with your game.

Sami69
04-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Its no hurry to advance to next generation console graphics so soon. Think about people who bought PS3, Xbox360. Ati and Nvid are already trowing so many new Gpu's that when you buy one high end GPU its mid end in three years and it makes only game developers job harder to optimise their games to all those new stuff.

ShovelyJoe
04-17-2011, 05:33 AM
I'm fairly convinced that the next generation xbox console (I refuse to call it something stupid like the 720) will bring more harmony and cohesiveness between the console and PC market - Microsoft, EA and Activision have all talked about the possibility of cross platform gaming in the future, which makes me think that the honus will be upon the service, and not the hardware...Which is a good thing to be honest, because I think it'll allow PC gamers and XBOX gamers to play things like team fortress 2 on the same protocols and servers, for example.

I can;t disagree with this more - the number on reason I hear for people opting for a games console over a PC, is that it costs too much to upgrade to suit the recommended specs of the new game of the moment; I think that's completely true. My GTS450 cost £140, and I'm already looking at upgrading to a GTX580 so that I can accomodate a quad core processor - there isn;t that concern with a console...You simply stick the disk in the drive and crack on with your game.

That's a fair point you make related to vid cards actually. I'd just like to see more freedom when it comes to how I play my games.

Reinholder
04-17-2011, 05:45 AM
That's a fair point you make related to vid cards actually. I'd just like to see more freedom when it comes to how I play my games.

No no I agree, and thankfully I think the major developers are starting to see that; I'm not saying it'll be the case, but I would expect the next gen concolse to open up xbox live to allow access to PC dedicated servers, as well as maybe hosting more RAM, GPU and CPU power - and I think one of the games that it became painfully obvious that the 360 needed to step it up a notch is Black Ops...Look at this comparison video:

Link - View at 1080p if you can (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6z4dFM6Viw)

The next gen console NEEDS to be able to keep up with the smaller things like higher FPS.

DarkLite123
04-17-2011, 05:54 AM
The next Xbox will be like that accursed "Windows gaming experience" video, the next Playstation will have a bigger CPU than the last, and the next Nintendo console will have another bizarre feature that turns out to be insanely popular.

Reinholder
04-17-2011, 05:56 AM
The next Xbox will be like that accursed "Windows gaming experience" video, the next Playstation will have a bigger CPU than the last, and the next Nintendo console will have another bizarre feature that turns out to be insanely popular.

Good grief darklite, that was a developers video to get investors excited...In five years time the landcape is going to look different. I'll put money on it.

DarkLite123
04-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Good grief darklite, that was a developers video to get investors excited...In five years time the landcape is going to look different. I'll put money on it.

Don't worry, I'm just a cynic. If you expect the worst, you're always right or pleasantly surprised :cool:

Agent 1337
04-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Sony = PS4 is released, is entirely 3D and completely overpriced
Microsoft = Xbox 720 is released with a bunch of sub-standard FPS titles
Nintendo = Releases a worthy successor to the GameCube for hardcore gamers
Sega = Re-enters the market with Dreamcast 2, dominates everything

iBMe
04-17-2011, 08:49 AM
The next Xbox will be like that accursed "Windows gaming experience" video

Isn't the 360 pretty much exactly like that now.

Omphofo-Bravo
04-17-2011, 09:49 AM

I can;t disagree with this more - the number on reason I hear for people opting for a games console over a PC, is that it costs too much to upgrade to suit the recommended specs of the new game of the moment; I think that's completely true. My GTS450 cost £140, and I'm already looking at upgrading to a GTX580 so that I can accomodate a quad core processor - there isn;t that concern with a console...You simply stick the disk in the drive and crack on with your game.I strongly doubt cross platform multiplayer would work, not for FPS games at least. The difference in balance would be too big, I think. Mouse & Keyboard-support has always been a gray area for consoles.

In terms of upgradable stuff, well - nothing major, I guess but hard drives would be good. The PS3's hdd is easy enough to change. Digital downloads will be much bigger, I think - so there will definitely be more space needed.

ledbelly
04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Will PSN and Xbox Live become more like Steam?

i'm not sure what you mean. valve have clearly stolen a fair few ideas from xbox live. how can xbox live become more like steam when steam has become more like xbox live?

Omphofo-Bravo
04-17-2011, 09:56 AM
i'm not sure what you mean. valve have clearly stolen a fair few ideas from xbox live. how can xbox live become more like steam when steam has become more like xbox live?I don't know exactly how Live works but my point was that maybe you'd be able to buy full AAA games and not just indie games and revamped oldies.

ledbelly
04-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't know exactly how Live works but my point was that maybe you'd be able to buy full AAA games and not just indie games and revamped oldies.

well, i'm not sure how many of the games make their way to marketplace or how long after the hard copy is released, but they do sell 360 games on marketplace.

Firestorm998
04-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Games will be so complicated and expensive to produce that it'll be harmful to the industry.
The (general) decline in gameplay seems directly related to graphical tech imo. Accessiblity and social aspects will be at the forefront.

DarkLite123
04-17-2011, 10:21 AM
i'm not sure what you mean. valve have clearly stolen a fair few ideas from xbox live. how can xbox live become more like steam when steam has become more like xbox live?

Or are they both evolving separately towards the same thing?

Whatus
04-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Well, Microsoft's console will be filled with 12 year olds, elitists, trolls, and overall idiots with the occasional reasonable person here and there. And 15 CoDs released for it.

Just callin it.

Reinholder
04-17-2011, 11:10 AM
I strongly doubt cross platform multiplayer would work, not for FPS games at least. The difference in balance would be too big, I think. Mouse & Keyboard-support has always been a gray area for consoles.

In terms of upgradable stuff, well - nothing major, I guess but hard drives would be good. The PS3's hdd is easy enough to change. Digital downloads will be much bigger, I think - so there will definitely be more space needed.

The interesting thing being that if you happen to own logitech hardware (which I do), a lot of games on the 360 do indeed support keyboard and hardware - not officially, but they do. As for upgradeable HDD, the 360 S finally got in on the act and is indeed upgradeable - you need the housing, but you can pretty much use any laptop hard drive.

LocalFiend138
04-17-2011, 11:24 AM
I think it's way too early to begin speculating on the next generation of consoles. The Wii 2 is no big deal. People forget that the Xbox360 has already had two upgrades (Elite and Kinect-Ready Version) and that the PS3 fat (d?)evolved into the PS3 slim.

The Wii is just playing catch-up.

My thoughts anyway.

stinkytaco
04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
When you buy a console, you are locked in to their little price scheme. Especially with Micro$oft down loadable games. There is no competition for the downloaded games, you are stuck with whatever they dish out to you.

Not to mention that you can not update them with RAM faster GPU's and faster processors. The only thing you can upgrade is the hard disks. (so you can buy more games from their stupid store.)

The consoles online community sucks too. You get "That guy who can not even operate his cell phone, but can play Madden football for days on end", and " That kid who still wets himself every time someone kills him in Halo (insert version here)" and "That weird guy who poses as an 18 year old female nymphomaniac to get young men to talk dirty to him. (You know who you are Bubbles69, stay away from my children!)"

Not to mention that when the consoles are first released they cost almost as much as a low end gaming PC.

Don't get me wrong I collect console's and console games. I just wait for 2 years after they are brand new. Then I can go to gamestop and buy all the used games for around $1-$5 dollars each.

I got my Xbox 360 on Craigslist.com for $25, and it was still in it's original box.

I got my Ps3 from propertyroom.com for $5, and it came with 12 games already installed on the hard drive.

I got my Wii from a friend who was moving to China for $20 plus 10 games.

I got my PS2 and PS1 a couple of years ago in a package deal from overstock.com for $25.

I got my Sega saturn and a Super nintendo at a local pawn shop for a direct trade for all the junk music CD's my ex-girlfrind kept buying me. (Kenny G!! I mean really W T F !! might as well have bought me a pink tutu and ballet classes.)

Anyway, consoles have no soul. They are really not worth buying new. I can only think of one title that was even remotely worth buying new and that was Rock stars "Red dead redemption". I am glad i waited, they are planning a PC release soon! I get to play it in full 1080p, with AA and texture filtering. Not to mention it will sound great on my 7.1 EAX, home theater sound system.

Well anyway, I suggest just saving your money and dignity, just wait for a couple of years and once again the PC platform will dust anything new that the consoles have to offer.

Reinholder
04-17-2011, 11:53 AM
When you buy a console, you are locked in to their little price scheme. Especially with Micro$oft down loadable games. There is no competition for the downloaded games, you are stuck with whatever they dish out to you.

Not to mention that you can not update them with RAM faster GPU's and faster processors. The only thing you can upgrade is the hard disks. (so you can buy more games from their stupid store.)

The consoles online community sucks too. You get "That guy who can not even operate his cell phone, but can play Madden football for days on end", and " That kid who still wets himself every time someone kills him in Halo (insert version here)" and "That weird guy who poses as an 18 year old female nymphomaniac to get young men to talk dirty to him. (You know who you are Bubbles69, stay away from my children!)"

Not to mention that when the consoles are first released they cost almost as much as a low end gaming PC.

Don't get me wrong I collect console's and console games. I just wait for 2 years after they are brand new. Then I can go to gamestop and buy all the used games for around $1-$5 dollars each.

I got my Xbox 360 on Craigslist.com for $25, and it was still in it's original box.

I got my Ps3 from propertyroom.com for $5, and it came with 12 games already installed on the hard drive.

I got my Wii from a friend who was moving to China for $20 plus 10 games.

I got my PS2 and PS1 a couple of years ago in a package deal from overstock.com for $25.

I got my Sega saturn and a Super nintendo at a local pawn shop for a direct trade for all the junk music CD's my ex-girlfrind kept buying me. (Kenny G!! I mean really W T F !! might as well have bought me a pink tutu and ballet classes.)

Anyway, consoles have no soul. They are really not worth buying new. I can only think of one title that was even remotely worth buying new and that was Rock stars "Red dead redemption". I am glad i waited, they are planning a PC release soon! I get to play it in full 1080p, with AA and texture filtering. Not to mention it will sound great on my 7.1 EAX, home theater sound system.

Well anyway, I suggest just saving your money and dignity, just wait for a couple of years and once again the PC platform will dust anything new that the consoles have to offer.

So...Basically aside from the fanboi rant, you're making an argument for why people buy a console system - you may take it for granted, but some people have no computer knowhow.

stinkytaco
04-17-2011, 11:58 AM
So...Basically aside from the fanboi rant, you're making an argument for why people buy a console system - you may take it for granted, but some people have no computer knowhow.

Nope you missed it. Please read the whole thread. I say get the consoles and a nice PC. Just don't pay the outrageous prices on release day.
Are you similar to that John Madden fan I mentioned earlier? If so I am sorry. I was referring to my old collage buddy who still plays the first Xbox in single player mode.

My 6 year old son can operate a PC, my 9 year old can program simple things in C++. It just takes time. Just let go of the console controller, and give the PC some "quality learning time." is what I say to my friend.

Antikythera
04-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Don't care about consoles really, just as long as it moves PC gaming forward I'm happy.

Oh and maybe emulators for the last gen.

ledbelly
04-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Or are they both evolving separately towards the same thing?

i fail to see how steam's achievement system, for instance, was an idea valve had, completely independent of what microsoft did with xbox live. the friends list and other features, bear pretty close similarities with xbox live also. they did not exist in earlier versions of steam, but were there already in xbox live.

Corruption876
04-17-2011, 05:08 PM
having more mature and better looking games made?

Dear god I hope not, well at least not entirely. Some of the most beautiful games I've experienced in recent years have a "cartoonish" or "kiddie" look.

If strict realism was a living thing, I'd drown it in a tub.

Parliamentarian
04-17-2011, 05:10 PM
If the next generation of consoles aren't basically just gaming PCs, they will fail.