PDA

View Full Version : Help with audio

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Hi guys

Having recently built my first PC (was always a mac user...) I've spent ages worrying abut whether everything was running as it should be doing. All my games tend to run at about the framerate I would expect at the right settings, but recently I've been noticing a problem with the audio.

I'm using the onboard sound on an Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, and it was ok for a while, but I was noticing the framerate jumping in games. I went and updated my audio drivers via the device manager, and it installed the VIA audio drivers. Now however, when playing games, and to a lesser extent when watching videos, I get short, loud buzzing noises through my speakers, at which points the game seems to stop for a short time. I'm using a set of 2.1 Harmon kardon speakers in the back of the PC and they always ran fine on my mac. All my drivers are updated, I have the most recent VIA drivers, and it's getting quite annoying as it happens quite often while gaming, and I'm not sure what to do...

Any ideas for what the problem might be?

hahahehe
04-17-2011, 06:05 AM
More than likely dodgy drivers.

If you let Device Manager update them for you then you could be using some really old versions.

Best thing i can suggest is grab the ones from the Asus Website and try them.
Heres (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M4A79XTD+EVO&p=1&s=24 ) the link to your boards support page, select your OS, click Audio and get the one at the top (thats the latest).

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-17-2011, 06:45 AM
More than likely dodgy drivers.

If you let Device Manager update them for you then you could be using some really old versions.

Best thing i can suggest is grab the ones from the Asus Website and try them.
Heres (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M4A79XTD+EVO&p=1&s=24 ) the link to your boards support page, select your OS, click Audio and get the one at the top (thats the latest).

I did check there, but the latest on there is the one I have, it's from July 2010, it would seem there hasn't been a newer one that that...

TangleFoot
04-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Have you checked here (http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp)?

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Have you checked here (http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp)?

I did, but interestingly it is now showing a driver with a higher version number than the one I have, unless I am misreading. Am downloading it now, will see if it works :)

HurtSauce
04-17-2011, 07:12 AM
I've never used a mac before so I'm not sure how their drivers or driver installers work, but for Windows based systems it's always best to uninstall the old drivers first before installing new ones. You didn't mention uninstallation so I thought I'd bring it up. Uninstall your old drivers first, restart the PC, and when Windows detects your new hardware cancel the automated install if it gives you the option, then run the driver setup file you downloaded. You may have to reboot again after that. This will give you the best results for re-installing any driver in the future, not just audio.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-17-2011, 07:34 AM
I do tend to uninstall them, though it is all new to me, as it's not only my first build buy my first ever Windows PC - I'm so paranoid about having done something wrong it's untrue, but it all seems fine... :)

Anyway, that driver seems to have done the trick, though how I didn't notice it before I don't know. Starcraft was really bad with the audio earlier, just ran it with the new driver and the audio was perfect, and the framerate seemed a little higher on high/ultra settings (hovered between 100-110FPS)so I can't complain :)

Gonna give it more time though, see if it is infact now resolved. Gonna go see if it's helped with Shogun as well :) Cheers guys

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-18-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm gonna have to bump this, because it's started again...

This time I was watching videos on youtube, and I got a short, loud buzzing noise from the speakers at irregular intervals. I took the cable out the back of my PC and plugged it in the headphone jack on the front panel, and it seems to have stopped the buzzing? (for now at least...) any ideas?

Edit: Never mind, that hasn't helped at all. Unfortunatley, I can't check if it is just my speakers, because I don't have any on my monitor, and I have no other sets of speakers to plug in, some I'm at a loss for what to do here...

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Bump because it's unbelievably annoying >_>

I don't know what to do really. The drivers are fully updated according to the VIA site, but the latest one is from 6 months ago, which seems a little too long... Either I'm missing something or they've given up supporting the drivers. Whichever it is, it isn't much use.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I can try, given that my audio driver is up to date according to the VIA website, as are all my other drivers?

dosbox
04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Do you get buzzing through headphones plugged into the same jack? If not, the problem is with your speakers.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-19-2011, 12:43 AM
yeah, same problem with headphones and speakers in both the front panle and rear jacks.

TangleFoot
04-19-2011, 07:21 AM
You might be needing some of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead) then.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Well interestingly, I uninstalled my graphics card drivers and then used driver sweeper in safe mode to get rid of everything. I then reinstalled the 11.3 drivers (turned out I did infact have the 11.4 drivers installed...)

This made everything perfect, I tested Shogun II, the DiRT 2 demo, Race 07, Starcraft, even rFactor started working again.

I left it downloading something for a few hours, and went and did other thigs. I've now come back, loaded up Shogun, and had the Sega logo lag as that showed up, then the menu lagged as the options came up. I went into a battle to see if it was just messing up on loading, and every 30 seconds (sometimes more, sometimes less) the game would freeze for half a second or so. It was running perfectly before. It then did the same thing with the DiRT 2 demo, it was even lagging when moving around the menu screens, and the racing was unplayable. Obviously the sound stops when the game freezes, but then once the game continues the sound is fine, I don't get the loud buzzing noise any more (well, for now, I expect it's return soon knowing my luck)

All my games now have this annoying freeze/lag regularly, making them unplayable. Any ideas for this? :S

I'm not deleting and reinstalling my drivers every time I want to play a game :(

Edit: I turned off and left it for an hour or two, turned it back on and it seems fine again. That might suggest overheating? The only thing I would find strange about it overheating is that when I left it I was on the desktop with nothing running other than a download in utorrent. The windows was also open and my room was pretty cold, so I wouldn't expect it to overheat, given that I also have plenty of fans bring the cool air in, and then one taking it all out at the back.

Is this overheating or probably something else?

Edit 2: Just quit Shogun after testing in a historic battle and went onto DiRT 2 demo, which started freezing again, although a lot less than before I turned my PC off. As I said though, it was running perfectly before, So I have no idea what's going on...

Hardwood
04-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Torrents eh? Might be time for a full system scan for virii and malware etc..
You could also use MSCONFIG to disable starting programs.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Torrents eh? Might be time for a full system scan for virii and malware etc..
You could also use MSCONFIG to disable starting programs.

Aye, was downloading the Third Age Total War mod for medieval II, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll run a scan anyway and see... It would be a little strange to have the same problems as I had before due to a virus though, wouldn't it?

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
AVG full scan returned 1 problem, which was the DoW2 demo was signed with a broken certificate, or something like that.

Other than that, nothing showed up.

rotNdude
04-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Post the rest of your specs. The only bit of info we have right now is your motherboard.

stopgap
04-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi
when you finished installing windows, in what order did you install the drivers?
Normally you'd install the chipset drivers, then the graphics and audio. If you let the mobo CD install drivers then it probably took care of it for you properly, but I thought it was worth mentioning. If you did it yourself, uninstall all 3, run a driver cleaner, then put them back in the order above.
It's been a long time since I've worked as a system builder, so someone more up to date correct me if I'm wrong, but two things jump out at me -
it's VIA onboard audio and I recall that being about the worst thing on the planet to get working properly &
maybe onboard audio has moved on, but you say it's the same if you use the front and back jacks. I'd expect plugging in the front panel to disable the rear jacks, so unplug the front and try just the rear.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Post the rest of your specs. The only bit of info we have right now is your motherboard.

AMD Phenom II X4 965BE
MSI Radeon HD6850 Cyclone OC
4GB Corsair RAM
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo

Anything else you need?

And @stopgap - I did it first with the mobo CD, so that should be ok. VIA haven't released an audio driver since last October though, but that is the one I have.

It's just strange. I can now play games perfectly again. The only thing that has changed is that I have moved my monitor and speakers about 6 inches away from the PC... No other programs were running that aren't now, so I dunno, I'm getting more and more confused. I just played Shift 2 maxed out for an hour or so with no audio problems and no stuttering (though the framerate did drop at some points, but that just means I need to drop some settings, so that isn't that bad...)

I dunno, could having my speakers (or at least one of the) right next to my PC have any effect on something like this? In my head the answer is no, but the only thing I changed last night after reinstalling the drivers and having it running perfectly, and then it messing up, was that I moved the speaker right next to the PC so that I had the monitor directly infront of me instead of just too the side... I'm using speakers, if it helps:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZXDOMA/ref=asc_df_B003ZXDOMA2634833?smid=A2VRRYFDOT1WO1&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B003ZXDOMA

I doubt it would make a difference, but it is the only thing that changed between it working and it stuttering... And since moving them, it seems fine again. It could of course be a coincidence, but I figured I'd check anyway.

stopgap
04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
You're right, the chances of the speakers having anything to do with it are extremely unlikely. You've tested it and get the problem with headphones too, so I guess it's time to see if the machine still does it with a different soundcard - any chance of you borrowing someone else's to check?

Akuthia
04-20-2011, 02:36 PM
The only thing that the speakers COULD have done is if they are VERY old, and poorly shielded, they COULD have thrown off enough magnetism to have affected the mobo.

it's a logn shot but a possible, of not plausible shot.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
You're right, the chances of the speakers having anything to do with it are extremely unlikely. You've tested it and get the problem with headphones too, so I guess it's time to see if the machine still does it with a different soundcard - any chance of you borrowing someone else's to check?

Unfortunately not, I don't know anyone who lives within a reasonable distance who would have a PC that wouldn't have a built in soundcard, so I don't know how I would check :/

Edit: Just put the DiRT 2 demo on (Dunno why I'm using it to test so much, I only downloaded it to see if my PC was hitting the framerate a couple of benchmarks said it should, and it was... ) anyway, I did the first part of a rally with the monitor and speakers away from the PC and it was fine, moved them right next to it and the lag started. Moved them away again and the lag/freezing happened once when I unpaused, and then it was smooth again. I really don't know... Could the type of cable I'm using to connect to the monitor have any effect? (again, long shot, and I've never done much with PC's before, so I'll think of any stupid possibility ;) )

Akuthia
04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
hmm, what sort of cable is it? if it's HDMI, it's theoretically possible, because HDMI is a combined gfx and audio cable, if you are some how feeding audio to you graphics card, and your sound card, and trying to output to both, well, it's a possibility

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-20-2011, 04:41 PM
hmm, what sort of cable is it? if it's HDMI, it's theoretically possible, because HDMI is a combined gfx and audio cable, if you are some how feeding audio to you graphics card, and your sound card, and trying to output to both, well, it's a possibility

Nah, I'm using a DVI-A cable (at least, I'm pretty sure that's what it is - either way I have an adapter that it's plugged into in order to make it plug into the graphics card) mainly because it's the only one I have (short of an HDMI cable, but that didn't give me full screen anyway and I need it for other things...

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-21-2011, 03:06 AM
Is it (theoretically) possible that the onboard soundcard could be getting interference and that is causing the framedrops/freezing in games? Another place suggested that it is possible, if this is the case I'll buy a cheap USB soundcard and just see if it makes a difference. If it does I'll probably end up upgrading it later when I have the money, and if not then i've not lost out much anyway...

Akuthia
04-21-2011, 06:28 AM
theoretically just about anything is possible (go back to my speakers comment earlier), I'm almost tempted to say the mobo might be on the downhill, and this is just the first sign of problems. It may be limited to the onboard sound, but then, it eventually may not be.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-21-2011, 06:39 AM
theoretically just about anything is possible (go back to my speakers comment earlier), I'm almost tempted to say the mobo might be on the downhill, and this is just the first sign of problems. It may be limited to the onboard sound, but then, it eventually may not be.

I'd hope the mobo isn't dying, I've only had it a week :(

stopgap
04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Well PCs can do bizarre things- once I had a keyboard and a monitor which didn't like to be in the same machine and made it completely flip out. Working that one out was really fun considering our test benches had their own kb and monitors, so it would only do it in the customer's home. It's something that logic would tell you just isn't ever going to happen, but there you go, the point is tiny and obscure defects can do the oddest things in the most unexpected places.

In this case I think you should consider getting a mobo replacement, maybe even return it for a slightly different model without VIA audio. It shouldn't be receiving interference from anywhere outside the case. You could dance about the edges of the problem swapping out cables and adapters, moving your speakers about and messing on with drivers, but at the end of the day I also suspect the crux of the matter is that board isn't 100%, and why would you settle for that from new?

If you really can't be without your new machine for a few days, then super cheap PCI or USB soundcards can be had for as low as 5-6. Good luck ;)

edit - I'd go with PCI though if you have any slots free, things hanging off or sticking out of ports when they could be internal is best avoided.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA94S9ra2bw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_CDmFIi9hU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Should show what I mean. The audio problem and this seem to be separate - any ideas what could cause freezing like this? (videos are only 30 seconds, FRAPS won't let me do more...)

stopgap
04-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I watched your vids, and I'm a bit surprised to see that the stutters aren't regular in a way which makes me think of HDD access.

Let's try something completely left-field- the high precision event timer.
When you boot up your machine go into the BIOS (if there's just a picture when you switch it one press tab to get rid of it and see the key to do it, usually delete). Go into the power options and look for HPET. If you have a 64bit OS then change it to 64bit mode. If that doesn't help then disable it.
If you can't find it then forget about it, your motherboard won't give you the option. I mention it because messing with it on my machine helped me out, but to be honest I still think it's something we've already covered.

ir0nmaid3nfan
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I watched your vids, and I'm a bit surprised to see that the stutters aren't regular in a way which makes me think of HDD access.

Let's try something completely left-field- the high precision event timer.
When you boot up your machine go into the BIOS (if there's just a picture when you switch it one press tab to get rid of it and see the key to do it, usually delete). Go into the power options and look for HPET. If you have a 64bit OS then change it to 64bit mode. If that doesn't help then disable it.
If you can't find it then forget about it, your motherboard won't give you the option. I mention it because messing with it on my machine helped me out, but to be honest I still think it's something we've already covered.

I'll have a look, but what gets me is that it seems very random in that sometimes it is fine with no issues, and other times it is terrible (like in those videos) Other times it is somewhere in between. I'll check that but if it doesn't help I guess I'll go back to Scan and ask them to look over it and replace any dodgy aprts, seeing as I got the Scansure insurance thing so they'll replace any parts free within 30 days...

Couldn't see the option for that so I dunno :/

ir0nmaid3nfan
05-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Massive bump/necro here...

I took all the parts back to SCAN a week ago, they tested everything and said no faults at all. I figured I built it wrong, as it was my first one, so I went to their official partner who built it all up for me (for a fee obviously). Came back, he said it was running the Heaven DX11 and Aliens Vs Predator benchamrks perfectly.

At my house, it had the same problems that caused this thread - freezing of the video, and the loud buzzing at irregular points. I called him back and he said it was strange - he had no problems. I asked if anything could cause interference and he said it was unlikely, and that the only thing he noticed was that I use a wireless card and he used a cable.

I figured 'what the heck' and turned the wireless off on my PC. The AvP benchamrk that had been awful before was perfectly smooth. Turned it back on and after 30 seconds, had the same problems as before. Restarted the becnahmark without turning the wireless off and the problems hit instantly.

Turned it off again, no issues at all. Repeated this about 5 times at least, same thing every time. Perfect with it off, horrible with it on. Tried Crysis 1 with it off and it was perfect on max settings. It was awful about half an hour before when I had the wireless on.

Is it really possible that my wireless card is causing audio glitches and freezing? I'd guess it is interfering, but whatever, when it's on it's terrible. Guess I'm gonna have to grab as long ethernet cable then lol.

rotNdude
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Is it really possible that my wireless card is causing audio glitches and freezing? I'd guess it is interfering, but whatever, when it's on it's terrible. Guess I'm gonna have to grab as long ethernet cable then lol.

Since you seem to have isolated the issue, then I think you answered your question. Why it can happen is electronics and computers at their finest for understanding why. I would try a different wireless card, a motherboard BIOS update, or different drivers for the wireless card.

Akuthia
05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
is it a built in wireless? or another card? if it is a separate card, than absolutely. WAAAY back when, we had to worry about what IRQ a given device was on, as it could conflict with another device if they shared. Nowadays, windows SHOULD keep that separate. if you go into the device manager of windows and into resources, you can find what IRQ it's using. On my system, at least the ability to change it is greyed out, i would need to research to see if theres a way to unblock it. I'm sure you can (as the option is there) but im not sure how to unlock it at this time.

ir0nmaid3nfan
05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
is it a built in wireless? or another card? if it is a separate card, than absolutely. WAAAY back when, we had to worry about what IRQ a given device was on, as it could conflict with another device if they shared. Nowadays, windows SHOULD keep that separate. if you go into the device manager of windows and into resources, you can find what IRQ it's using. On my system, at least the ability to change it is greyed out, i would need to research to see if theres a way to unblock it. I'm sure you can (as the option is there) but im not sure how to unlock it at this time.

It's a separate Linksys card yeah, so I'm guessing it is the problem. Just need to see if I can sort it without having to buy an ethernet cable and get it upstairs... :D

Akuthia
05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
if you have any other open PCI slots, try that OR, uninstall the drver for the card, shut down, remove the card physically, turn the computer back on, shut down again, and re-install. might be enough to force a new IRQ