PDA

View Full Version : Blackout = Potato Power!

SSIops
04-18-2011, 06:57 AM
What is auxiliary power? A backup in case the primary fails.

Human CPUs are the primary source of power to reboot GlaDos. If we can get as many people to quit playing a Sack game, a blackout will occur forcing GlaDos to use the backup Potato power.

To finish the game, we must stop playing!
Spread the word!
Watch your friends list for sack players, let them know!

We're going to beat Valve at their own game!

Skyler88
04-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Is this is REALLY what we were supposed to do. Then it sure does blow that we figured it out now.

thal
04-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Primary power has already failed when things when boom in portal 1.... Aux power is needed to launch, which is what people getting potatoes are doing. Pleaple playing games are helping glados calculate how much power is needed to launch. IMO

flatstuff
04-18-2011, 07:00 AM
That would defeat the whole purpose of promoting the indie games. It goes against what valve is trying to do here, which is to bring awareness and increase sales on these indie games.

daneyb
04-18-2011, 07:01 AM
That would defeat the whole purpose of promoting the indie games. It goes against what valve is trying to do here, which is to bring awareness and increase sales on these indie games.

But in order to get the potatoes.. you need the games? It's kind of a weak idea but it works :p

Bierno
04-18-2011, 07:06 AM
how did it lose it purpose in playing the game.. you had to get potatoe from the game in the first place.... so you got a taste of the game and see if you like it or not..

and its only for a bit that people stop playing it... if you like the games you can still play it after we work out this ARG thing...

i know people just bought the bundle to help portal 2 release early and yeah its stupid... but that how much people want portal 2... and you can say the same with people idling...

anyways its a win situation for everyone... people get a taste of the indie games and if they enjoy it that a plus to the indie Devs... they get thier part of the money even if it low... and the players get their games etc for discounted price..

bagofbones
04-18-2011, 07:10 AM
yup maybe power could fail in the next 20minutes and whether we get Portal 2 early will determine how many potatoes there are in the bank and if we have enough, then it's released instantly.

ryu31337
04-18-2011, 07:10 AM
I support this idea, +rep.

flatstuff
04-18-2011, 07:11 AM
But in order to get the potatoes.. you need the games? It's kind of a weak idea but it works :p

Yeah.. but i am assuming that they are looking past the immediate sales of these indie game and are looking for people to be aware of how fun these games might be by getting them to spend time playing them.

If this was what we were meant to do, valve would never know if we did it because the casual players who do not care about this ARG would still be playing. Sure, they would see a decrease of some players but there would still be a few thousand playing.

mexicola
04-18-2011, 07:12 AM
So the idea is to replace one power source with another (not that I believe CPUs are a power source anyway), and what would the point of that be if I may ask?

Goldfinger
04-18-2011, 07:13 AM
I said this last night and no one listened.

mrekim
04-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Old news is old.

leahcim
04-18-2011, 07:14 AM
What is auxiliary power? A backup in case the primary fails.

No, auxiliary means something providing supplementary or additional help and support.

Backup or reserve power would be for use in case the primary fails.

Gunrun
04-18-2011, 07:17 AM
This is a dumb idea. How do you think you're going to convince everyone to stop playing the games they've paid for. The forums are a vocal minority. Most people don't care, or if they do they don't enough to stop playing their games.

Shirokurules
04-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Where is your proof?

Teraunus
04-18-2011, 07:21 AM
This is purely speculation on my part, but my theory on the potatoes is that they are a factor of hours that will be deducted from the clock in order to initiate the launch procedure.

My guess is that 100,000 potatoes = 1 hour removed. As of 10:20 EST we are sitting at roughly 450,000 potatoes, or 4.5 hours deducted.

Looking at the current launch timer, the game will be launched at 01:30 PST || 04:30 EST

If the potatoes deduct the amount of time I'm guessing that they will, if they even deduct time at all, then we would see a midnight release for the east coast and a 9PM release for the west coast on Monday night.

This is all guesswork, but to me it looks plausible, and would give the seemingly-useless potatoes a realistic impact.

SSIops
04-18-2011, 07:32 AM
This is purely speculation on my part, but my theory on the potatoes is that they are a factor of hours that will be deducted from the clock in order to initiate the launch procedure.

My guess is that 100,000 potatoes = 1 hour removed. As of 10:20 EST we are sitting at roughly 450,000 potatoes, or 4.5 hours deducted.

Looking at the current launch timer, the game will be launched at 01:30 PST || 04:30 EST

If the potatoes deduct the amount of time I'm guessing that they will, if they even deduct time at all, then we would see a midnight release for the east coast and a 9PM release for the west coast on Monday night.

This is all guesswork, but to me it looks plausible, and would give the seemingly-useless potatoes a realistic impact.

Potatos are there for a reason, and they haven't been used yet.
We'll see!

jwaite89
04-18-2011, 07:44 AM
We're going to beat Valve at their own game!

No "we're" not and no you're not, because not all players read these forums. And indeed, many players that do read these forums do not subscribe to that theory.

I meanwhile, am laughing at all potato sack people. I've done nothing at all, but will be getting the game earlier by a whole 6 hours or so as you've given up your social lives playing games which are horrendously terrible, whilst I've had, on balance, a damn good weekend with friends and family.