PDA

View Full Version : So why no 2player splitscreen??

mikieson
04-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Ive tried this "hack" to get it to work..but some say it does, some say it doesnt...and some have said that VALVE has blocked it..Can someone please fill me in on whats right?? I would love to play the PC version with my kids with all the user made maps.

Bindal
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, it's mainly because the PC-version was ment to be played online (as on the PC, a internet-connection is required to install the game in the first place while on the 360, it's not a given so for MP there, only splitscreen would work.)

However, it's not blocked, it's just unsupported and left in for the heck of it. And it still works with a bit tinkering at the config. Easierst would be to have two controllers, execute the 360contoller.cfg (or the modified one if you use a non-360-controller. Should be in the Splitscreen-Guide-Thread), start the game in SP and simply type "ss_connect" into the console. That should give the second player the control of a bot. (For a more controlled choice, kick the two bots, type ss_connect and re-add the bots. That might require sv_cheats 1, however.)

Also "with your kids" seems to me as if you want to play it with more than two players - however, splitscreen only allows two players at the same time.

eTeck
04-22-2011, 08:09 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113

mikieson
04-22-2011, 08:52 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113

I have done that "or to the best of my knowledge" and it didnt work..I was told on this forum or another one that VALVE cut it out in some update...SO either they did..OR I just cant go through 20 steps to do splitscreen..lol

wetnap
04-24-2011, 01:39 AM
because flooding the servers with mediocre players suffering from low framerates and unable to see much on their half screens is a bad idea.

mikieson
04-24-2011, 08:03 AM
because flooding the servers with mediocre players suffering from low framerates and unable to see much on their half screens is a bad idea.
I dont "flood" the servers as I never play online. AND why have a game online if the servers cant handle the players? ALSO...I have L4D on 360 and it plays just fine online and splitscreen..SO are you saying that console does a better job?

This is my main issue with PC gaming...If the PC can do something half the time its more trouble. I use to play MOHAA/spearhead and was actually quite good and on top of OGL boards for quite some time...BUT trying to play anything else seems more problematic at times..I would love to get the splitscreen options as a MUST HAVE on PC..THEN and only THEN would it take precedence over my consoles..

Bindal
04-24-2011, 08:40 AM
I dont "flood" the servers as I never play online. AND why have a game online if the servers cant handle the players? ALSO...I have L4D on 360 and it plays just fine online and splitscreen..SO are you saying that console does a better job?

This is my main issue with PC gaming...If the PC can do something half the time its more trouble. I use to play MOHAA/spearhead and was actually quite good and on top of OGL boards for quite some time...BUT trying to play anything else seems more problematic at times..I would love to get the splitscreen options as a MUST HAVE on PC..THEN and only THEN would it take precedence over my consoles..
It's not the servers he thinks would have problems but the clients - but that's wrong. Splitscreen doesn't require that many frames. Just maybe a lost of like 5%, maybe less.

Yet, Splitscreen is not officially supported on PC because you got online-gameplay all the time as you need to be online to install the game in the first place - so it's garantueed that you got an online-connection for an MP-Game. Unlike the 360, where someone might not have the ability to play online, so all that person has is SP and to make up for that, Valve added Splitscreen there.

mikieson
04-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Thats just it though...PC is known for offering MORE than consoles...BUT it seems at times it has less.
I know everyone and their moms are online now but what if you dont want internet? OR what if you cant afford it? I mean..videogames should offer the best of both worlds..Especially now days with all the tech.

I dont know where this is going..lol..I just want to play my games with my kids on the PC if wanted..:(

Bindal
04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Why not internet on the 360? Probably because Microsoft charges you for THAT, too. Yes, online-play on the 360 is not free. Neither are the DLCs (which are free on PC). I don't know how much, but I think it was to 5 to 10 bucks a month to play online (yes, it's a subscribtion-membership with montly costs, not a one-time-buy).

So, what the 360 offers exclusivly:
- Splitscreen-Support (due the possible lack of online-gameplay on the 360)

PC offers:
- Free DLCs
- Support for custom campaigns
- customisation of content (sounds, skins, models)
- mods (which you can love or hate. I hate them in L4D)
- garantueed online-gameplay (which makes the need of Splitscreen unnessecary)

And once again - Splitscreen only supports TWO players, on both, 360 and PC.

Edit: Also, Splitscreen-PC-gameplay in general is dead for at least 15 years.

lagosta
04-24-2011, 10:08 AM
I have done that "or to the best of my knowledge" and it didnt work..I was told on this forum or another one that VALVE cut it out in some update...SO either they did..OR I just cant go through 20 steps to do splitscreen..lol

It works for me perfectly, you are probably doing something wrong.

wetnap
04-24-2011, 02:47 PM

sorry but the reason pc gamers choose pc isn't because of that, it is because they value game play quality over everything else, mouse+wasd is far superior to anything else when playing fps, and having your own screen close up gives you total control. split screen is a massive step backwards, and unelss you somehow get 2 keyboards working you are back to lousy lousy gamepad support which by default means mediocre game play and online that means a lot of vote kicking of mediocre players. these days pc's are cheap, pc gamers have been lanning for a long time, the assumption has always been one player one pc for over a decade now.

mikieson
04-24-2011, 04:19 PM
sorry but the reason pc gamers choose pc isn't because of that, it is because they value game play quality over everything else, mouse+wasd is far superior to anything else when playing fps, and having your own screen close up gives you total control. split screen is a massive step backwards, and unelss you somehow get 2 keyboards working you are back to lousy lousy gamepad support which by default means mediocre game play and online that means a lot of vote kicking of mediocre players. these days pc's are cheap, pc gamers have been lanning for a long time, the assumption has always been one player one pc for over a decade now.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Lets not turn this into a pc vs console thread. For me nothing beats console and never will for gaming..PC does a lot for me,but not gaming.

wetnap
04-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Lets not turn this into a pc vs console thread. For me nothing beats console and never will for gaming..PC does a lot for me,but not gaming.

simply a statement of the reality of the situation, pc gamers have been bringing computers to lans since the very old days, because split screen was never a real option, so you asking for it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.