PDA

View Full Version : The identity of Chell. (MASSIVE spoilers ahead)

domdove
04-19-2011, 04:46 AM
I can't find a decent thread about this, but if there is one, redirect me and I'll happily migrate conversation over to there.

So, GLaDOS is Chell's mum...in a way?

In both games, there is a 'Bring Your Daughter To Work Day'. Seems like Valve really want us to be aware of this.

Early in Portal 2, GLaDOS mentions how she ran a search and found two Aperture employees with Chell's surname.

Cave Johnson had a woman at Aperture who he greatly admired, and wanted her to succeed him, and even become AI if necessary. Her name was Caroline.

GLaDOS discovers at the end that Caroline was inserted into her. She deletes Caroline, of course.

That's basically it. Now why aren't there more threads talking about the biggest twist of the game?!

Saikang
04-19-2011, 04:48 AM
Because most people haven't finished the game yet. *flexes e-peen*

It's interesting if true, but they're both dead, so whatever.

domdove
04-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Because most people haven't finished the game yet. *flexes e-peen*

It's interesting if true, but they're both dead, so whatever.

I know, I know. But still :p

SirPorkchop
04-19-2011, 04:54 AM
I never got that feeling at all.
She mentioned parents to take jabs at Chell.

Caroline is who Glados was, from what I understand.

mediarulesworld
04-19-2011, 04:57 AM
I thought the big twist at the end was that

Caroline WAS GLaDOS. After Cave died, Caroline became the boss and took over Aperture. I presume that after that she was made into GLaDOS, an AI, just like Cave wanted before he died. Of course, Cave died before the technology was discovered.

That was my take on it, anyway.

domdove
I never got that feeling at all.
She mentioned parents to take jabs at Chell.

Caroline is who Glados was, from what I understand.

But coupled with the bit about a male and a female employee both having her surname... ;)

I just feel as though Valve are shouting it at us - I mean, who even cares if some lover of the boss is in GLaDOS? That sort of twist doesn't feel big enough, if you get me.

I just feel as though the signs really are there.

Tidenburg
Caroline WAS a part of GLaDOS, not just another node. She just wasn't aware she was there.

Caroline isn't Chell's mother, either. If you listened, she clearly says that Chell WAS adopted (in the test chamber where Wheatley tries to mock Chell) and in another she admits that she completely lied about Chell's parents being there.

But coupled with the bit about a male and a female employee both having her surname... ;)

Read the comics. GLaDOS doesn't even KNOW Chell's last name, it's redacted on the subject list. It's entirely made up.

domdove
04-19-2011, 04:58 AM
I thought the big twist at the end was that

Caroline WAS GLaDOS. After Cave died, Caroline became the boss and took over Aperture. I presume that after that she was made into GLaDOS, an AI, just like Cave wanted before he died. Of course, Cave died before the technology was discovered.

That was my take on it, anyway.

Again, you're right, but so what? That's the on-the-surface twist sure, but it means very little. Couple it with the other hints, and you have the REAL twist.

mastergiux
04-19-2011, 04:59 AM
Snape kills Chell

SirPorkchop
04-19-2011, 05:00 AM

I just feel as though Valve are shouting it at us - I mean, who even cares if some lover of the boss is in GLaDOS? That sort of twist doesn't feel big enough, if you get me.

I just feel as though the signs really are there.

Well of course two employees would have the same surname. It WAS bring your daughter to work day.

No one said that Caroline was Cave's lover. It was never even implied. He was Cave's assistant. A lot of bosses tend to get close to their assistants if they like them enough, regardless of being male or female. He had trust in her, she enjoyed her job, and she did what she was told. As he said, she was married, married to science.

There was no implications, or hints to Glados/Caroline being Chell's mother.

NeoRokuen
04-19-2011, 05:01 AM
What hints? I also didn't get that feeling at all. Plus...I don't think I would like that kind of twist. Finding out the history behind GLaDOS was amazing though.

SandyGunfox
04-19-2011, 05:07 AM
GLaDOS explicitly said she was lying about the two employees having Chell's surname. Remember? The scene where the tube delivery system drops confetti as she announces she was just jerking you around?

It made me laugh, I remember it.

A different theory is that Chell is homeless. That's why she has no identity on record. It fits in with some of Cave's speech during that chapter as well. Considering Aperture Science seems to have pretty well workable stasis/hibernation technology, there really is no telling when Chell got stuck with Aperture anyway.

mediarulesworld
04-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Caroline WAS a part of GLaDOS, not just another node. She just wasn't aware she was there.

Caroline isn't Chell's mother, either. If you listened, she clearly says that Chell WAS adopted (in the test chamber where Wheatley tries to mock Chell) and in another she admits that she completely lied about Chell's parents being there.

Read the comics. GLaDOS doesn't even KNOW Chell's last name, it's redacted on the subject list. It's entirely made up.

*cough* Spoiler tags *cough*

SirPorkchop
04-19-2011, 05:09 AM

*cough* Read thread title *cough*

mediarulesworld
04-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Again, you're right, but so what? That's the on-the-surface twist sure, but it means very little. Couple it with the other hints, and you have the REAL twist.

I honestly did NOT get any hints about Caroline being Chell's mother.

I thought that Chell was one of the scientist's daughters (ie Bring Your Daughter to Work Day), but I never got the feeling that Caroline was her mother. Caroline was just Cave's assistant. Cave trusted her immensly, which is why he left her Aperture.

Saikang
04-19-2011, 05:12 AM

"(MASSIVE spoilers ahead)" - OP

Anyway, one of the best parts was when GLaDOS deleted Caroline, and returned to "normal"

Dillxn
04-19-2011, 05:12 AM
in the comic Chell's last name is redacted... so Chell Johnson?

Cooler1339
04-19-2011, 05:21 AM
She was adopted by them is what I got from it.

domdove
04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
I know this doesn't CONFIRM it, but Jeep Barnett had this to say when I e-mailed him about it earlier:

Glad you liked it Dom! There’s definitely a few mysteries in there for the community to unravel. Have fun! :D

-Jeep

He could just want us to keep talking about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we need to dig deeper!

Anyway, this board is poisonously negative right now, so I'm gonna say bye until the next Valve release. Bye!

TheJaneite
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Chell's most likely a scientist.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uiama1.jpg

Look at this image - that's not Caroline. :D

aggrav8d
04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Cave Johnston.
Caroline.
Chell.

Coincidence? I'm imagining CJ & Caro have a baby, give it up for adoption. Meanwhile, CJ dies and Caro gets turned into GladOS, who doesn't really remember anything about her past. Chell (somehow) ends up a test subject, probably because she works at Aperture. When GladOS taunts Chell both are completely ignorant of their other relationship (family vs enemies)

domdove
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Cave Johnston.
Caroline.
Chell.

Coincidence? I'm imagining CJ & Caro have a baby, give it up for adoption. Meanwhile, CJ dies and Caro gets turned into GladOS, who doesn't really remember anything about her past. Chell (somehow) ends up a test subject, probably because she works at Aperture. When GladOS taunts Chell both are completely ignorant of their other relationship (family vs enemies)

Who knows, maybe the 'cjohnson' login from Portal 1 in the Rat Den isn't even Cave's...? ;)

stoicfaux
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Early in Portal 2, GLaDOS mentions how she ran a search and found two Aperture employees with Chell's surname.

Or GLaDOS was just trying to torment Chell by implying that she had found Chell's parents.

Slappy Jay
04-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Cave Johnston.
Caroline.
Chell.

I don't know, I've come to conclusion that since her name is on the giantly mutated potato board, and it looks like childs handwriting, I'm just gonna guess she's been there long before the first portal game or something O_O

Cause in no way does she look like a child in the first game xD

So she could have been adopted
for science

Mutilator7
04-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Doesn't Caroline look like the announcer from TF2?
And at the it looks like Chell could walk a couple yards to get to Dustbowl's first point at the end.

I think it's also related to TF2, but that's just me.

DuckOfDestiny
04-21-2011, 08:55 AM
A different theory is that Chell is homeless. That's why she has no identity on record. It fits in with some of Cave's speech during that chapter as well. Considering Aperture Science seems to have pretty well workable stasis/hibernation technology, there really is no telling when Chell got stuck with Aperture anyway.
No, I'm pretty sure it's when we learn Cave Johnson is dying, he mentions that they started using actual employee's, which made a massive difference to the results of the the tests.

chuck981996
04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Well of course two employees would have the same surname. It WAS bring your daughter to work day.

No one said that Caroline was Cave's lover. It was never even implied. He was Cave's assistant. A lot of bosses tend to get close to their assistants if they like them enough, regardless of being male or female. He had trust in her, she enjoyed her job, and she did what she was told. As he said, she was married, married to science.

It was implied that Caroline was Cave's lover. They worked together all their lives, from when they were young until they both died. Caroline was Cave's secretary and, as is typical in most boss-secretary relationships of the '50s, they probably had an affair. Maybe Chell was an accident? Who knows, but the point is, it is plausible that she is the child of Caroline and Cave.

ATLbandit
04-21-2011, 09:04 AM

This is someone who isn't old enough to understand the statistics of how often a boss dates and employees. Ladies and gents, men/women having affairs with their secretaries is very common and isn't just movie fodder.

E(rik)
04-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Doesn't Caroline look like the announcer from TF2?
And at the it looks like Chell could walk a couple yards to get to Dustbowl's first point at the end.

I think it's also related to TF2, but that's just me.

Chell is the tenth class.

Blind Mown.

BTW; I alway felt that all Valve games were related somehow.

04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
@thread-starter: because you asked... in this thread there's this talk already happening, with lots of pictures and more facts about the relation between them :)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1850363

hurleyboy
04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Now why aren't there more threads talking about the biggest twist of the game?!

Because this thread was started a couple of days ago

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21951815#post21951815

And You generally don't make 50 threads on the one topic though apparently my time away from the steam forums says this isn't true.

Just like the 50

"Hey guys i saw P-body in that level where wheatley smashes 2 test chambers together"

Ikko
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
My personal theory is that Chell was the maker of that giant potato project, and she was the child of an Aperture Science scientist who died when Cave made testing mandatory for all employees. She was then sent to an orphanage. She later decided to seek revenge against AS for killing her parents so she signed on in the only position available Test Subject. Her name is [REDACTED] because she wanted it that way.

Exposure to the substance that made her potato grow so hugely without any sunlight gave her an incredible regenerative ability, and made her not need food which is why she survived such a long period of relaxation. This is also why she looks as young as she does.

GAMEchief
04-21-2011, 06:58 PM
I can't find a decent thread about this, but if there is one, redirect me and I'll happily migrate conversation over to there.

So, GLaDOS is Chell's mum...in a way?

In both games, there is a 'Bring Your Daughter To Work Day'. Seems like Valve really want us to be aware of this.

Cave Johnson had a woman at Aperture who he greatly admired, and wanted her to succeed him, and even become AI if necessary. Her name was Caroline.

GLaDOS discovers at the end that Caroline was inserted into her. She deletes Caroline, of course.

That's basically it. Now why aren't there more threads talking about the biggest twist of the game?!

There are nine million threads about it, and plenty of speculation all over the Internet - from Wikis to gaming websites.

GAMEchief
04-21-2011, 06:59 PM
My personal theory is that Chell was the maker of that giant potato project, and she was the child of an Aperture Science scientist who died when Cave made testing mandatory for all employees. She was then sent to an orphanage. She later decided to seek revenge against AS for killing her parents so she signed on in the only position available Test Subject. Her name is [REDACTED] because she wanted it that way.
♥♥♥♥ you. That makes too much sense.

Aperture mentions how one of the four types of people it hires is orphans. :(