PDA

View Full Version : Will Brink be overshadowed by Duke Nukem Forever?

~kev~
04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Brink is released in May, Duke Nukem Forever is released in June.

On top of Duke Nukem, there is new left 4 dead 2 content being released sometime soon.

Does anyone think Brink will have its month of glory, and then fade into the shadows? Duke Nukem and Left 4 Dead 2 new content poses some stiff competition for the Brink people. How many people are going to buy Brink, play it for a month, and then hop over to a new games?

Diablo85
04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
One is a SP orientated shooter the other a MP one. I doubt it.

Dingo
04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Most people would be buying Duke Nukem Forever for its singleplayer and multiplayer only supports 8 players which with similar games it wont last long in the multiplayer side of things.

weeschwee
04-19-2011, 04:42 PM
duke is also being made by gearbox which thus far has a terrible history for post support of their games.

HylianTheBlade
04-19-2011, 04:45 PM
not to diss on duke because i do wanna buy that later.. but i really doubt its going to be anything more than 1 liners, eyecandy, and tons of mayhem. i doubt it is going to be a long lasting game like brink. i'm really excited for brink.

SPYMAN
04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
not to diss on duke because i do wanna buy that later.. but i really doubt its going to be anything more than 1 liners, eyecandy, and tons of mayhem. i doubt it is going to be a long lasting game like brink. i'm really excited for brink.

This totally sums it up.

frontline
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Duke Nukem Forever will be overshadowed by Duke Nukem 3D.

Ghostdog
04-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Not for me.

Enjoyed the original Duke Nukem 3D (yep I'm old), but that was mainly because the tech was pretty cool for the time, not because of the IP itself. Arguably, the Duke Nukem formula has already been done to death with the likes of Serious Sam, Bulletstorm et al, but personally have no interest in going back to old-school linear shooters anyway.

Iconoclast XVII
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
I loved Duke Nukem and preordered the Balls of Steel edition (while I only preordered this because it was $37), so I'll probably take it over this, but this still looks pretty good. Left4Dead2, well, it sucked. I really only played through each campaign and then the passing and that was about it. Left4Dead was so much better, but server mods and ♥♥♥♥♥♥ bags killed that. Valve really should have put more work in keeping L4D alive instead of leaving it to die for a quick sequel following it.

arizonachris
04-19-2011, 06:21 PM

Yep, I agree as well. Been waiting so long for Duke, but I seriously wonder how bad Gearbox has messed it up. Also, I'm not looking for the MP side of Duke, I am really jazzed about Brink, especially since my ETQW clan is setting up our own server. You can watch the opening day fun, with Splash Damage "in 'da house" on opening day. :D

madlulz
04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
duke is also being made by gearbox which thus far has a terrible history for post support of their games.

Really? REALLY?

Borderlands
The original CS
Blue Shift, Opposing Fronts...

JUST TO NAME A FEW SMALL TITLES.

Oh and on topic

Brink > Duke Nukem for MP

Robotkio
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Unless I find I either dislike playing BRINK or it's full of bugs that make it unplayable on release it's probably going to replace Battlefield Bad Company 2 as my go-to multiplayer FPS. Heck, if it's good and my friends jump on the wagon I may not go back to Battlefield 'till BF3 hits. Can't say for sure, though.

I've never been a huge Duke fan and I haven't touched L4D2 in ages so I don't see those pulling me away from BRINK.

sharkietoo
04-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Unless I find I either dislike playing BRINK or it's full of bugs that make it unplayable on release it's probably going to replace Battlefield Bad Company 2 as my go-to multiplayer FPS. Heck, if it's good and my friends jump on the wagon I may not go back to Battlefield 'till BF3 hits. Can't say for sure, though.

I've never been a huge Duke fan and I haven't touched L4D2 in ages so I don't see those pulling me away from BRINK.

Agree with you Robotkio, if its rubbish I will stick with BC2 till BF3 comes out, otherwise duke isnt something Iam gunna give the time of day too & L4D2....had enough of the ragers & asshats.

Nitronumber9
04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm using brink as a stepping stone to DNF, since it will last about 20 hours (4 days of none stop playtime for me), I can then go back to Brink which should last me until RAGE (against the average child with no clue whatsoever on FPS games) All of them should take me untill the end of the world in 2012.

I just hope ID release Doom4 before it ends.

ivr56
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Most people would be buying Duke Nukem Forever for its singleplayer and multiplayer only supports 8 players which with similar games it wont last long in the multiplayer side of things.

8 players is more then enough.
If multilayer is old school arcade mayhem. No ADS, customization, levels, and what not. Guns scattered around the map everyone gets a puny weapon to start. I'm all in.

AGMZ
04-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Not even remotely interested in DNF. And I haven't played L4D as I have had no interest in that either.

panickin
04-20-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm using brink as a stepping stone to DNF, since it will last about 20 hours (4 days of none stop playtime for me), I can then go back to Brink which should last me until RAGE (against the average child with no clue whatsoever on FPS games) All of them should take me untill the end of the world in 2012.

I just hope ID release Doom4 before it ends.

This is about how I am, save for Brink being a stepping stone to Rage and/or Doom 4, better have some lasting depth, plus the end of his post made me laugh +1

Nitronumber9
04-20-2011, 04:27 PM
This is about how I am, save for Brink being a stepping stone to Rage and/or Doom 4, better have some lasting depth, plus the end of his post made me laugh +1

I actually messed up, I meant to type end of the world, but still, I won't edit it because that mess up was just awesome.

weeschwee
04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Really? REALLY?

Borderlands
The original CS

Oh and on topic

yes! yes!

borderlands-has pvp (kinda) tacked on. there are options for pvp when you go into the arenas, but you can't use them. gearbox didn't even finish the game! they added dlc's which constantly broke what was already there. modders fixed the game before gearbox did. some menus let you scroll down with the mouse wheel. others make you push page up and page down on the keyboard. the game was delayed for pc so it could be optimized for pc interface...it's honestly one of the best examples i can use for "console port".

the original counter strike-gearbox didn't make it.

blue shift and opposing forces-not sure how much post support they had if any.

you forgot the brothers in arms series which is their baby. their baby which they let die with their most recent one. it was fine, but all the problems it had were left unresolved. the multiplayer was ported to another dev and quite possible the worst pvp multiplayer (aside from borderlands'). many people enjoyed the previous multiplayers from the first two brothers in arms games. the third remains crippled.

my point wasn't that gearbox makes bad games or small unknown games. my point is that gearbox lets their games die once they've received their money. gearbox jumps from game to game without much concern for their existing titles in the way of support.

MastaCosMc
04-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Really? REALLY?

Borderlands
The original CS

Oh and on topic

Are you attempting to help his argument? Borderlands first month was almost unplayable, & 'till this day it's hard to keep up with.

Hocevar
04-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Are you attempting to help his argument? Borderlands first month was almost unplayable, & 'till this day it's hard to keep up with.

I think the guys nickname pretty much says it all about his posts

Borderlands port was a joke and the worst part is, the game itself is actually awesome. I just hope they fix their ♥♥♥♥ with the sequel, although I'm not hopeful

madlulz
04-22-2011, 12:52 AM

His post said they DROPPED ALL SUPPORT. Clearly DLC is dropping support huh. Regardless of the PC side or the console side, borderlands is easily one of the best RPS ever. If you think otherwise.. you're probably just bad at it. (Mainly talking about Hocevar here)

Ghostdog
04-22-2011, 04:47 AM
Borderlands was great imo. However it was also an original IP with fresh ideas and gameplay. Can't say the same for the Duke unfortunately.

Also tired of the spate of blockbuster 'real-warfare' shooters, so not too interested in BF3 either (did enjoy BF2 and 2142 back in the day). So far my only 'must-have' games for this year are BRINK and Section 8: Prejudice. Rage?...maybe.

madlulz
04-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Borderlands was great imo. However it was also an original IP with fresh ideas and gameplay. Can't say the same for the Duke unfortunately.

Also tired of the spate of blockbuster 'real-warfare' shooters, so not too interested in BF3 either (did enjoy BF2 and 2142 back in the day). So far my only 'must-have' games for this year are BRINK and Section 8: Prejudice. Rage?...maybe.

RAGE LOOKS amazing. I doubt it will deliver what us old grumpy gamers want it to deliver.

Zombieard
04-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Admittedly, i never invested in Borderlands, looked interesting, just...didn't grab me. I was looking forward to Duke, buut, i don't know, after all these years, you'd expect something revolutionary, i think it's going to be for the kids these days what it was for us a few years ago. Just more eye candy.

BF3 i had high hopes for, loved BF2, with a passion for a while. After watching the 12 min preview, it's just looking like another MOH/COD. Multi was where it was at with the BF series, i hope they get it right with 3.

Gotta agree with you on RAGE there madlulz, seems we can agree:) hehe
i hope it delivers on all fronts though.

weeschwee
04-22-2011, 09:40 AM
His post said they DROPPED ALL SUPPORT. Clearly DLC is dropping support huh. Regardless of the PC side or the console side, borderlands is easily one of the best RPS ever. If you think otherwise.. you're probably just bad at it. (Mainly talking about Hocevar here)

i do not consider dlc support for games since the only thing it supports is the dev's and publisher's wallet. further more, the dlc for borderlands broke what was already there. i won't bore you with details since it sounds like you've played the game. you should know what i mean.

but you're right about it being one of the best rps games out there. although, it's also one of the only rps games out there. hellgate london, borderlands....what else? borderlands was good, perhaps great, but far from amazing and certainly does not deserve any title related to legendary.

madlulz
04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
i do not consider dlc support for games since the only thing it supports is the dev's and publisher's wallet.

That's one of the top 2 stupidest things I've ever read.

#2 being the lyrics to Friday.

Hocevar
04-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Yea, support is giving games thousands of DLCs instead of you know, actually fixing the game, riiight

Parliamentarian
04-22-2011, 02:53 PM
I can play DNF right now... Just with ♥♥♥♥tier graphics and no vehicles. It's called Duke Nukem 3D. :rolleyes:

That's one of the top 2 stupidest things I've ever read.

And why's that? I wouldn't consider DLC to be support, either. Except in the case of consoles, where a patch can be put out AS DLC (and doesn't even happen often), DLC is content for the game, and a lot of the time, adding in new content also creates new bugs.

H.Gecko
04-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Maybe for a little while, but probably not Forever...