PDA

View Full Version : This is really, really annoying

BlackMesaPlease
04-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Every time I want to play a game like HL2 I have to go to my system preferences and disable Spaces, Exposť shortcuts, etc just to be able to properly play the game. Isn't it obvious that those system functions should be disabled automatically by the game?! Is it at least done so in Portal 2?, since it looks like there wont be an update to those games to fix that...

ATLbandit
04-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Not sure why this is an issue, I've disabled those shortcuts one time and left them disabled. They correspond to the later function keys (F9, F10, etc.), why are you having issues with those keys? They are able to be changed, as are any keys you would need to use in a Source game.

BlackMesaPlease
04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
I use F9, F10 and Mouse 3 for Exposť, F11 for Desktop, F12 and Mouse 4 for Dashboard. When I press any of those keys in the game it shows me the Desktop/opens Dashboard/etc, which obviously is bad when I've got the Combine trying to kill me and such, and I can't even assign game functions to those keys because it just does Exposť when I press Mouse 3 for "Last Weapon Used" for example, instead of assigning Mouse 3 to that function. So every time, I have to open system preferences and unlink all the shortcuts one at a time because there isn't a way to turn it off at once. The game should disable that stuff on its own without me having to do that. I wonder why it doesn't bother you though, maybe you don't use Exposť and that stuff, but another game I play does it right (not a Source game).

Trifftnicht
04-20-2011, 08:48 AM
If you're saying "Mouse 3" and "Mouse 4" it seems that you don't use an Apple mouse, right? Has it not it's own driver? I use a Logitech mouse and are testing SteerMouse, where you can choose an application and set shortcuts for it (you can do it also in the Logitech driver, though). It works fine with maybe one exception. I have only chosen TF2 but the shortcuts apply to all hl2_osx. Don't know what happens if I choose a second source game with different shortcuts.

BlackMesaPlease
04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
I use a 7-button Razer mouse that has no drivers for Mac, and I have to say I don't really need ones (edit: and I tried some programs like SteerMouse before and didn't like them) because Mac OS X's mouse acceleration doesn't bother me. But what I'm saying is, I guess I should have said this before: I want to use F9-F12 for Exposť, etc, so whenever I play a Source game I have to disable those things before playing and then enable them again when I'm finished, so I can use them again, that's why it's annoying. Another game I have has an option "Disable OS shortcuts" and I enabled that once and it's never a problem; no one needs the dashboard or Exposť when playing games anyway, so it should even be a default setting. But Source games don't have any such setting. Do you guys not use Exposť or with different keys? Because I can't think of any other explanation that you are not annoyed by this like me.

Trifftnicht
04-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Do you guys not use Exposť or with different keys? Because I can't think of any other explanation that you are not annoyed by this like me.

Ok, I misunderstood you, I'm tired. In-game I don't use the F-keys. Only if I want to make a screenshot and for that I have set the F1 key. Have to press also fn and Shift for that, though.

What for a keyboard are you using? If an Apple or Apple like one you have an option, not to use the F-keys as regular function keys:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20982730&postcount=7

Edit: I guess I should delete my posts here to clean this thread from nonsense… I go to bed now. ;)

BlackMesaPlease
04-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes I'm using a standard Apple keyboard. The thing is I don't like the default game shortcut for quick load so I set it to F9, that's why the problem. But also sometimes I just miss the button and accidentally hit F8 or something like that and that's annoying, even more so because the cursor does not show up when I want to close the Spaces view again to get back to the game and hit the right key.

I don't want to change the setting for the "fn" key, which really should not be anything more than a temporary workaround anyway. The game (or any other software for that matter) simply should not require me to change any of my preferences/settings that I use all day for other stuff. In other words: people have different habits (eg you and me) but the game should work smoothly regardless.

The games themselves look and play beautifully btw. This annoyance is just an obvious fix imo and it's frustrating that it's not being fixed. Is Portal 2 still the same way?

SyntaxError
05-02-2011, 01:52 PM
I have worked out how to temporarily disable expose allowing you to use mouse buttons assigned to expose while playing all source games. same applies to the function key dilemma tho i havent yet implemented it into my custom launchers (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867079&highlight=expose)

flipster103
05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I have worked out how to temporarily disable expose allowing you to use mouse buttons assigned to expose while playing all source games. same applies to the function key dilemma tho i havent yet implemented it into my custom launchers (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867079&highlight=expose)

This.

Also, I actually like having them on during game, but I'm weird I guess ;)

BlackMesaPlease
05-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Cool, thanks SyntaxError!

BlackMesaPlease
05-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Portal 2 is still the same...

SyntaxError
05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Portal 2 is still the same...

I'm working on a system preference to solve these issues for any given application instead of my current launcher based approach. Unfortunately between school and work I have little time for personal projects, but in fall im taking a cocoa class and maybe i can use this as a class project or something even tho its only partially cocoa...

BlackMesaPlease
05-23-2011, 11:44 AM
That would be a great utility. I hope you do get to finish it some day.

SyntaxError
05-23-2011, 12:25 PM
That would be a great utility. I hope you do get to finish it some day.

It will. I have almost all the hard work done. In all likelihood it will be in a usable beta form within a month. That will include the expose/spaces/dashboard/function key junk.

After that im going to make a plugin SDK so that I can build plugins to perform additional functions upon app launch/terminate/activate/deactivate. for example if valve doesn't fix the microphone sleep issue then i will make a plugin to keep it awake when launching whatever applications you choose. It will be a public interface so anybody could make whatever plugin to perform any kind of arbitrary actions.

Janichsan
05-23-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm working on a system preference to solve these issues for any given application instead of my current launcher based approach. Unfortunately between school and work I have little time for personal projects, but in fall im taking a cocoa class and maybe i can use this as a class project or something even tho its only partially cocoa...
While your work is surely appreciated, it would not be necessary if Valve would get their sh*t together and add the two or three lines of code necessary to fix this. :o

BlackMesaPlease
05-28-2011, 05:05 PM
It will. I have almost all the hard work done. In all likelihood it will be in a usable beta form within a month. That will include the expose/spaces/dashboard/function key junk.

After that im going to make a plugin SDK so that I can build plugins to perform additional functions upon app launch/terminate/activate/deactivate. for example if valve doesn't fix the microphone sleep issue then i will make a plugin to keep it awake when launching whatever applications you choose. It will be a public interface so anybody could make whatever plugin to perform any kind of arbitrary actions.That honestly sounds awesome. You have my utmost respect for doing this stuff. It's the implications of "almost all the hard work" that gives me cause for concern. Volunteer projects, as magnificent as their ambitions may be, don't always make it out of their cradles, unfortunately but understandably. Life just "gets in the way" sometimes. Anyway, this isn't news to you; I guess I'm just being sober to avoid heightened disappointment in the event that you simply do not find the time to finish it.

Please do your best! :)